• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Vendor Search by Target Feature

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
While stocking my vendors I found it tedious to check the value of my items against those in other vendors across the shard, typing in each item one-at-a-time, adding the item name to the search criteria, clicking the search button--a loathsome task. So.. I made a little "mod" to help!

This feature brings up a targeting cursor. You can target any item, and instantly perform a vendor search based on the item's name. Readme.txt describes setup. Let me know if you have any questions.
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG
Change Log:
12/18/14 : Updated Readme.txt to explain the mod folder creation process.

Attachments

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't seem to find the "mods" folder to save the files into mate.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No mods folder that I can find either. this so secret it has to be PM'd?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
technically i think its illegal, but doesnt really make a difference in gameplay so doubt it would cause any trouble for a persons account

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
technically i think its illegal, but doesnt really make a difference in gameplay so doubt it would cause any trouble for a persons account
I don't see how it can be illegal matey? C'mon, make it your new years resolution to only play the EC!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how it can be illegal matey? C'mon, make it your new years resolution to only play the EC!
Thu, 03 October 2013 - 2:10pm EDT by Lauren M
ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE RULES OF CONDUCT

While you are a member of the Ultima Online service, you must abide by the following rules.

IF YOU BREAK ANY OF THESE RULES, YOUR ULTIMA ONLINE ACCOUNT, AND YOUR RIGHT TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE, MAY BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY BY ELECTRONIC ARTS. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OF ANY AMOUNTS PAID BY YOU TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AND YOU WILL FORFEIT ALL OF YOUR UNUSED ACCESS TIME.

THE RULES ARE:

1. You may not victimize, harass, threaten, or cause another player unwanted distress or discomfort, as determined by Support Staff.

2. You may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language, graphic descriptions, or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals).

3. You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player.

4. Characters, items, pets, and other user-created in-game content must abide by the EA Terms of Service, Rules of Conduct and the UO Naming Policy located here.

5. You will not actively encourage other players to violate the Terms of Service or Rules of Conduct.

6. You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.

7. You may not impersonate any Ultima Online Customer Support representative or other employee of Electronic Arts, past or present.

8. With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.

9. You may not violate any local, state, national or international law or regulation.

10. You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Electronic Arts does not specifically authorize you to modify.

Subject to interpretation i suppose.

like, i know people were being banned for stuff like this from archage, while i might not agree that they should have been banned, and some of the stuff didnt effect gameplay at all, it still can be technically against the rules, whether it makes sense or not.

Like i said, obviously people break the official rules all the time, scripting, third party programs, etc etc. so its up to every player to decide if the risk constitutes the benefit.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not modifying anything. Think of it more as a "plugin". Remember the EC was designed so people can add features like this.

Now I'm no programmer but I'm sure these add-ons and extras just tap into the EC API which is allowed.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean if this is bann-able..you would think Pincos would be. It's not so I think your good to go ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean if this is bann-able..you would think Pincos would be. It's not so I think your good to go ;)

i really dont know, like i said it probably doesnt matter. i think the difference is that Pinco's was "approved"

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When was it approved? He doesn't go through any process to get out his publishes and updates by the look of things. Like he doesn't seem to need approval for his features. I EC was coded specifically for people to do just this. It's not altering gameplay in any way. From what I understand the only thing you couldn't alter would be art files or animations

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't even play enhanced client. I'm not arguing that auto war mode off with blood oath is a game breaking feature or not..I personally could care less if that feature is there or not..a brain will always win against automation. So if I'm redlined and your full health i blood oath you go out of war mode..give me a second or 2 to get away, heal up. While you sit there finger in butt crying OMG he was redlined stupid Pinco feature!! It has it's downfalls.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UOEC was designed to allow custom UI modders to create custom UI features; that's why there's a Custom UI button at the top of the login screen :rolleyes: This is one such UI customization.. albeit a small one.

I updated the readme.txt to include better instructions on creating/finding a Mods folder. I fixed a small bug that was causing it to fail.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
In the next version I post, I hope to have checks for special items that are commonly searched. For example, if you click a SoT for Healing, it'll search for only SoTs for healing and not just "Scroll of Transcendece". I'd like to do the same for PSs and SoAs. Any other suggestions?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thu, 03 October 2013 - 2:10pm EDT by Lauren M
ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE RULES OF CONDUCT
One of the intended features of the Enhanced Client is that players can write mods to the client via the built-in API. The EC comes with a .zip file that is a copy of the Default user interface, and when you unzip that file, you are given (by Broadsword) not only a copy of the Default UI, but also another zip file of documentation on how to write custom modifications for it.

There is no violation of the Terms of Service for using a script that is applied via the Mods feature of the Enhanced Client.

Scripts that don't run through the Mods framework are likely illegal, but Pinco's and other EC mods that run through the Mods framework are legal.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the intended features of the Enhanced Client is that players can write mods to the client via the built-in API. The EC comes with a .zip file that is a copy of the Default user interface, and when you unzip that file, you are given (by Broadsword) not only a copy of the Default UI, but also another zip file of documentation on how to write custom modifications for it.

There is no violation of the Terms of Service for using a script that is applied via the Mods feature of the Enhanced Client.

Scripts that don't run through the Mods framework are likely illegal, but Pinco's and other EC mods that run through the Mods framework are legal.
I guess im starting to realize that. I suppose some people like it, for me personally tho it will most likely be the reason i quit. just too much change, too easy to run lua scripts via EC. I play UO as a retro game, not an automated program with bad graphics.

to each their own, maybe, just maybe new players who like that kinda thing will take the old players places.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess im starting to realize that. I suppose some people like it, for me personally tho it will most likely be the reason i quit. just too much change, too easy to run lua scripts via EC. I play UO as a retro game, not an automated program with bad graphics.

to each their own, maybe, just maybe new players who like that kinda thing will take the old players places.
That is another benefit of the game, I think - that it caters to both retro and modern preferences, alike. I've been playing since 97, but completely prefer the hotbar and grid layouts to the classic freeform layouts. That's my primary reason for using EC.

I can't imagine the dev team ever ditching the classic client and going EC-only. There should be plenty of retro-ness to keep you around! For what it's worth, I don't believe it's possible to script anything illegal through the EC framework. It's written as an API, and only certain features are accessible to the programmer through the framework. It's not like it provides untethered access to the game's data stream - it's a limited set of commands/data points.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now if only the vendor search window wasn't completely bugged on my character to begin with, I could test out this mod!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

But please keep in mind the EC offers not even half of the things that those 3rd party programs do for the CC.

There are a couple of tripwires in the EC that prevent modders from turning it into a bot.

I can reassure you, the hardcore scripters not even take a look at the EC, because every bit and byte of functionality in the CC is so well cartographed nowadays, It's literally a puppet on strings.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a couple of tripwires in the EC that prevent modders from turning it into a bot.
I think they thought the same of the CC in 1997 as well..and here we are..I know of at least 2 EC Tweaks/Mods that overstep that exact reasoning..they just aren't public :/

Do you really think certain PvPers just all of a sudden decided EC was "better" lol

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you really think certain PvPers just all of a sudden decided EC was "better" lol
Let me rephrase my words a bit.

I'm not talking about PvP helpers. I think you still need the human factor in PvP, even if you have multiple things running (correct me if I'm wrong). But that's my point: If you can smash a button every second, you can make the Lua behind it do whatever you like. I agree. But fully unattended automation of the EC only with lua mods? If that's what you're talking, you must have way more insight than me :p

When it comes to full automation (as in IDOCs, as in mining/lumberjacking, as in running 3k trade quests for the mempo, as in multiboxing 10 chars at the same time, and so on), nothing beats the CC ecosystem of tools.

If you are playing "hybrid" (attended + scripts), the EC is your thing.
If you are playing afk (unattended + scripts), the CC is your thing.

Btw.: Sorry for derailing this thread.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As the old adage goes: "A player's gonna play play play play play, and a scripter's gonna script script script script script. So shake it off... shake it off.. ugh ugh... So shake it off! shake if off uhh uhh."

Now that we got that out, perhaps we can get this topic back on track? :rolleyes: Any feedback/comments to post regarding the feature? :p

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Anyone know a way to pop up the vendor search screen from lua? Initialize doesn't work because the generic gump info is missing. I tried using the player context menu command, but it seems like you can't fire those off in lua?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone know a way to pop up the vendor search screen from lua? Initialize doesn't work because the generic gump info is missing. I tried using the player context menu command, but it seems like you can't fire those off in lua?
it opens only when the gump is sent from the server...

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
But some event from the client tells the server to send the information for the gump. So there should be a way unless they ignore anything in lua that doesn't look like a real mouse click even on a context menu...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But some event from the client tells the server to send the information for the gump. So there should be a way unless they ignore anything in lua that doesn't look like a real mouse click even on a context menu...
the gump is called from the player context menu, obviously only if the vendor search is accessible (so you must be in a safe logout area and the vendor search system must be operative in that moment...).
Besides that the window is tied to the legacy gump, without the gump it just creates countless errors...