• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone care besides Lord Denim and I?

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having only one other person to talk to is not what a forum is about. Does anyone have some opinions?
Sure.... I care but the question is do i care enough? Sadly the answer is probably NO. The reason for that is that I simply believe that "fixing" PvP will be a TON of work to do it correctly and will take lots of good ideas ( hopefully from PvPers...focus group ha..) and also time spent working out a system that will actually interest people for the long term. I'll try to actually post some maybe... useful thoughts on all this.

1) Any PvP system ultimately has to have some other draw to participate in it in this day and age simply because of the lower populations. Ultimately on pretty much any shard but ATL you can only expect PvP in very limited durations. Mostly the reason for this is that people do 2 things when they log in to play UO. They do what they find FUN or they do the stuff they feel they NEED to do before they can have FUN. What this means for us PVPers is that the VvV system needs to be able to draw people in and HOLD them (in a PvP setting...aka somewhere there is a decent chance someone looking for a fight can find them) for any consistent long term PvP system to work. Deco items don't really count and the VvV artifacts take a very limited effort to attain. Beyond those 2 reasons hardly anyone is willing to come to a VvV fight. This is usually just a timing issue in that 1 side is ready to fight and the other side is doing PvM etc... if both sides are ready then any large difference in numbers on 1 side or another can end a fight before it starts..

2) Short version is PvP system needs a cookie just like power scrolls were. It's just a matter of balance at that point.
3) Cookie ideas... I would love it if there were items / cookies that we could get which had the purpose of being desirable and helped promote PvP.. I wish I could skin a fallen foe maybe take his head and ultimatEly after a difficult crafting process create a soul gem or something similar that's linked the person I killed. I can think of lots of things such an item might be able to do. Track the person in question...perhaps simply twinkle with light if they are online.... allow you to challenge the person to a duel? Maybe giving them 2 hours of time online with that character and if they don't accept the other person wins? I don't know...just thinking of things that would INCREASE PvP.. I'd also include a way to destroy any such items that have been created. Perhaps they are character bound? And thus if you killed the person who created a soul gem of you ..you know destroy it?... Anyway...you get the drift...

4) Cookie... I know it's overly simple....but perhaps a PvP reward that's greater than powder of fort?.. say it adds 10 max durability to items that cannot be powered? I find myself using legendary Antique jewelry and it's definitely dieing quickly and I would totally do whatever it took to change that if I could....

5) I like leader boards as long as the points are more closely associated with PvP than they are now in VvV. I know on Sonoma the higher ranked VvV points belong to those who grind out VvV town battles when no one is online etc... if there was a PvP scoreboard with actual in game perks it would make it that much more desirable and thus promote PvP. I go with something as simple as #1 PvPer gets a percentage of insurance for maybe all the enemies his guild kills? That could be decent cash I think and motivation to not ZERG if your zerglings are literally linin the opposing guilds ACES... pocketc etc.

Also link...I'm PEON on Sonoma. Xsharders.... good if your 1 of them but otherwise always bouncing from shards and never staying long enough for a fight to happen etc...It's slow here.. let's check somewhere else etc.... ah well enough for now.

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I think if they changed it so that when VvV was happening in a city that city would change back to UO:R Style PvP. For example if you enter the zone while VvV is active all your artifacts are phased in a sort of way so that they do not give any added bonuses or resistance but instead give AR. You will have to bring reagents and such, but its just temporarily phased back to that style of PvP. Of course this would take a good sum of coding/testing and might not be enjoyed by all but it is a thought.

mghtyshark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would dare to say that with the new Governor setup, the devs or GM should create an army for each town and assign VvV sides to the towns. Then according to what players choose, they need to either defend or try to take over the city. Thus creating a change of Governor for the town either siezed or defended. Also, I would say allow VvV battles in trammel.....

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I've been away over the holidays and new year. Just starting back in again. Lots of reading and exploring to do.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They coded the fun out of VvV before it even had a chance to evolve. No point in following it's development now unless they revert back to it's initial state and then build upon it. Removing some of the most exciting features to appease those who didn't even participate ruined the system before it even took off.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone on Siege is still playing VvV. They also seem to be following me when I am running trade quests, lol...la