• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How long would you like EM events to last?

what would be your ideal time window for an EM event?

• 30mins or less

• 30mins to 1hr

• 1hr to 1.5hrs

• 1.5 to 2hrs

• 2 hours or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple poll. UO is known to have an older player base, many with limited play time.

If you don't care or don't go to events in general, just go with your gut.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I can't imagine a two hour or more event unless it had a very special incentive to it. The incentive doesn't have to be an event item, but its hard with real life to dedicate more than 1 hour's time in one sitting.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
30 minutes to one hour. Any shorter than 30 minutes, and the event will be disorganized, hard to keep track of, and will feel rushed. Any longer than an hour, and the event will become tedious, boring, and people will lose interest in it.

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What i would like to see at events is a lot of player interaction with a awesome story line if that meant it had to run 2-3 events before the conclusion then so be it i think 1 hour maybe 1:30 hour anything more i would loose concentration and i think many others would too but yeah i dont think events should be a 1 time only story line i think the plot should grow over time with a super awesome ending.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If an event is too long (or too boring, or too RP, or not RP enough, or too deathrobe-y, or whatever) for your taste, then you have the option of leaving.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
When our EMs get so immersed in the RP and nail every little detail I LOVE IT!!! I could sit and interact with them for 1 - 3 hours. Anytime they host a 30minute or less event I feel Gypped (Pun intended)

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
It's to bad we cannot see who is actually voting....

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
weees needs mimax, junar type event
And Goblin crushing events!

Big Horde Minion hued, Goblin Grey or Green with the name "Papa Goblin" When he yells "Goblin Steump!" it does area dismount and physical area attack. OH! Oh! Oh! and he should be let loose on King Blackthorns Castle!!!

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tonight's Chesy event was one of the worst ever. Useless 1 line dialog for nearly 2 hours. We could have read this in a book in less than 5 minutes.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sorry you didn't approve, apply to be an EM and make it more to your liking or don't attend Chessy events. It has been long stated by EM Dudley (when he was an EM here) and then EM Drosselmeyer that Chessy events are about story line. Maybe if everyone there wasn't buying, selling, asking advice on how to train, etc then the EM's could have finished the dialogue quicker. Just a thought....

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Awesome drop though!!

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tonight's Chesy event was one of the worst ever. Useless 1 line dialog for nearly 2 hours. We could have read this in a book in less than 5 minutes.
I have asked if they can give out any item drops at the beginning of the event so you guys don't need to hang around and the rest of us can follow the storyline without all the interruptions and such.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind some RP as long as it's intresting. The event was fine until we went back to del. There was no reason to drag this out for another hour. 15 or 20 min would have been good to set up the next event. I actually fell asleep and someone in vent woke me up. I probably dozed off for about 6 or 7 min and was informed that I didn't miss anything.

Everyone keeps saying if you don't like it then don't do the events. Well I like doing events . I do them on 2 shards and I don't hear anyone complain about the Napa events . I hear people pancake about lag and not getting drops but never about the content.

Makes me wish I had picked a diff shard besides chessy to split my time between.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It was long but there were so many people spamming side conversations that I am sure it made it difficult for the EM's who watch to see what the players say. They respond to player comments so it is not 100% scripted. I could not believe it when I saw people spamming to buy something, someone else was asking which of two items would be better, someone else was looking to buy a quiver, someone was asking about training resist, not to mention all of the people moaning and groaning about how boring it was. Personally, if I were an EM in that instance, I would drag it out intentionally due to all of the whining. Whether you like the story line/ event or not, a lot of time and planning go into it and EM's make very little for all of the abuse that some give.

To me it is very simple, some events will have drops, some won't, some will be awesome, some won't, some will be quick and exhilarating, while others are more story line or setting up another scenario. The bottom line is that anyone who attends has the opportunity to leave the event at any time. If you are bored with that night's event, recall out and log out. If you are there solely to get the shinnies, then you have to put in the work which is in some cases boring, no different then real life. It seems to me that the majority (not saying all or every person that whines about it) of the people that whine about Chessy events are cross shard players that are only hear for the drops that make billions off of event drops but they want to be able to log in, play for 20-30 minutes, collect their drop and head off to the rare forums to sell. I am honestly to the point that I wish Chessy would stop drops all together so that those who actually enjoy the story lines and the events themselves can enjoy them.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
30 minutes to 1 hour with an interval in the middle where I can go and buy a bag of peanuts etc.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is, i really do try to follow chessies stories as it has some of the best of all the shards, but i think many players (including myself) actually miss out on huge chunks of storyline and end up having no idea whats going on because of these 1 hour text wall sessions. Overall, the extremely long text / downtime diminishes the overall story / event experience because most people cant follow it, and i wouldnt expect them to.

A good event requires a good story, but also one that players can actually follow. This is a videogame, its not a book. Keep in mind most UOers just mentally can not stare at text for an hour and stay interested.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The problem is, i really do try to follow chessies stories as it has some of the best of all the shards, but i think many players (including myself) actually miss out on huge chunks of storyline and end up having no idea whats going on because of these 1 hour text wall sessions. Overall, the extremely long text / downtime diminishes the overall story / event experience because most people cant follow it, and i wouldnt expect them to.

A good event requires a good story, but also one that players can actually follow. This is a videogame, its not a book. Keep in mind most UOers just mentally can not stare at text for an hour and stay interested.
Really? I find I have the most trouble following the story when people won't stop standing/flapping/dragoning over the EMs and/or whining about how long the event is, whether it's over, and whether or not the drop was satisfactory.

You get more story out of text than you out of beating up the monster of the week. Not that the monster of the week isn't appealing... but what you're saying makes no sense. You can't follow story... when it's kind of in the form of a story? o_O

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? I find I have the most trouble following the story when people won't stop standing/flapping/dragoning over the EMs and/or whining about how long the event is, whether it's over, and whether or not the drop was satisfactory.

You get more story out of text than you out of beating up the monster of the week. Not that the monster of the week isn't appealing... but what you're saying makes no sense. You can't follow story... when it's kind of in the form of a story? o_O
well, people do enjoy regular RP. I myself am a member of one of the oldest and most in character rp guilds on atlantic. On chessy i mostly pvped and pvmed years back. Thing is, Events are supposed to be for everyone, and id say only a minority can follow those long drawn out text only hours.
To me personally, for that type of RP you dont need EMs. That is something players can do perfectly fine on their own time. An EM has the unique ability to add content to their story via monsters, npcs, special lockdowns / deco, puzzles, etc etc. Of course an event needs a good story, but it also needs to keep players interest. 5 mins here and there throughout an event makes for an efficient, well followed story. Ive heard it many times from many players that chessy just has so much potential to be a great story shard if players didnt have reason to complain of not being able to follow it because of long drawn out text sessions. I get the feeling that sometimes these devoted EMs dont realize that this is a video game, if im playing a game i want at least something to keep me occupied. If i want to read ill pick up a book, not play a video game.

I know a handful of players do love the very long text sessions, but feel its selfish to make everyone else not be able to follow the story because there is nothing to keep interest during these text walls.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope they run a bit longer now these events. I need the extra time to setup my multi box before it starts.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Smoot While I agree that this past one was very long in text, it could have been a lot quicker if players would just go along instead of doing all of the things that they wear doing. There is no excuse for buying/selling in spatial chat or talking about training. That is what party chat/alliance chat/general chat is there for. Unfortunately a good portion of players do not seem to care that some are there to enjoy something other than killing the mobs for a drop.

There is no excuse for carrying on additional conversations in spatial chat, non-stop flying or dragging large pets throughout the room, or the worst of which is moaning and pancakes about the event because it is not a 20-30 minute kill-fest with a rare. Do you honestly think that D & D are going to be motivated to speed things up when people are typing in all caps "WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END" "OMG THIS SUCKS" "OMG ARE WE DONE YET?" or many of the things which I cannot post on the forums. It's a two way street but I seriously doubt D&D are going to work on speeding things along or adding any more drops while so many are acting like spoiled little kid not getting their way.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@DreadLord Lestat

I'm an Eagles Football Fan. The games a great show. Im also a UO fan. EM events are the best Live show of any rpg out there.

I didnt personally witness any rudeness at the event. That being said, i windowed out after about 5 or 10 mins of the text part. Personally i think if the gist of the story were efficiently covered in that 5 mins or so there would be minimal interruptions. (if i remember right it was in a building too, so the dragons / gargs is just something that goes with being in that small space) After the last couple hour long text sessions most people in my vent have just been doing facebook or other stuff but one or 2 people get the general idea and can ususually sum it up in 1 sentence.

you said many acted like spoiled little kids, well, its a video game. a huge percentage of players are spoiled little kids! this isnt 1997 when just being online was enough excitement. in the world of instant gratification, facebook, smartphones, people just expect to be kept entertained or they Will get cranky. Players expect more, faster, better, brighter. thats just a fact of times. Players must adjust to changes in the game, EMs can adjust to changes in the playerbase (or expect rudeness / talking)

So back to me being an Eagles fan. When the team isnt playing well, not putting on a good show, the loyal fans of Philadelphia BOO the team. Some people might not approve, just as some might not approve of players actions during these long periods of event downtime. However, as a Philly fan i understand how it is our duty to BOO the Eagles to let them know when their not doing a good job. Any less and it just wouldnt be supportive, good team spirit.

To make the metaphor short, the Chessy fans BOOed the team :( While unfortunate, i think they just want to express that their not happy with the show in hopes that a better one might be put on next time.

So take it for what its worth. Probably not much lol. I go to chessy because its a great story, ill admit i dont pay attention to the long parts tho. Ive accepted it as it is. I dont however expect every single player to be as patient as I am, and realize that more than 5 or so mins of dialogue is pretty much the limit for most players.

This poll isnt about my personal opinions tho, it was more to get a general idea of the overall consensus. Starting to get decent numbers for a viable assessment, so if the EMs want to use that info they can, or can simply disregard it.

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would prefer events to be about an hour but that is me. For the record, I voted 30 minutes to an hour.

I will agree to disagree, maybe you were watching another screen or something but there was someone at the beginning of the event trying to buy some talisman, once the fighting was over someone was trying sell something and spamming spatial with it, someone else was talking about training resist or archery (I forget) while a bunch were complaining about the length. That being said, there is a huge difference between football players whom get paid butt loads of money compared to EM's that really don't make much for the effort that they put in. They do a lot more than just run the events. They have to set things up, try and assist player events when they can, and get the story lines into place and what not. It is a thankless job and for the $200 per month or whatever it is, I would not do it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would prefer events to be about an hour but that is me. For the record, I voted 30 minutes to an hour.

I will agree to disagree, maybe you were watching another screen or something but there was someone at the beginning of the event trying to buy some talisman, once the fighting was over someone was trying sell something and spamming spatial with it, someone else was talking about training resist or archery (I forget) while a bunch were complaining about the length. That being said, there is a huge difference between football players whom get paid butt loads of money compared to EM's that really don't make much for the effort that they put in. They do a lot more than just run the events. They have to set things up, try and assist player events when they can, and get the story lines into place and what not. It is a thankless job and for the $200 per month or whatever it is, I would not do it.
well, people shoudnt be rude. It is uncalled for but i guess i just didnt notice. i tend to just ignore that type of thing. video game nerds are just rude people, one of those things :)

I guess i feel that since they are paid anything, there is at least a minimal level of expectation to please the majority. thats just me tho. Id love to the job for free. Bring the greifers on id just spawn stuff on them and kill them.

Seeyou at the next event, Im looking forwards to it !

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i tend to tune out most myself..

just don't feed there conquest for response. squelch is always a great feature but part of uo i have always enjoyed and kept me around is freedom.

freedom in a game is rare and i embrace it.. goods and bads. we all pay the same sub..