• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Bard vs Mystic

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hi all,
I'm thinking about redoing my t-hunter. Currently I'm running(with jewels):
GM Carto
GM Lockpicking
GM Mining
110 Magery
120 Music
120 Peace
120 Provo

This works great for soloing maps except for Ancient Wyrms/Greater Dragons. I can't keep them peaced even with a slayer harp for my EVs to kill them.

I'm considering replacing the bard skills with Mystic/Focus for RCs, anybody run a mystic t hunter and can confirm that the RCs will take down an ancient wyrm?
My other thought was dropping peacemaking to add disco and using a dragon slayer spellbook. Thoughts?

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am contemplating that exact same mysticism template right now. I will have to wait until the semester is over to get the training done but if you try it out please post how it goes. I've never played a mystic before and I am very excited; I've already picked up a 120 mysticism scroll.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you swap magery for mystic and provo and peace for focus and discord, then you might have more luck.
Also once you summon the RC and disco the wyrm you can also use the discordance bard abilities to speed up the process. (And slayer instrument of course)

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks Logrus, my concern with dropping Magery all together is losing invis, I suppose I could try to work in enough to cast with scrolls. I also realized that if I'm on foot to cast RC I might have trouble with Balrons chasing me down. I love the Disco masteries on my 4x120 bard with a slayer instrument, very under rated way of doing good damage.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose for invis you could always have invis potions as a crutch option.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco and RC works on all levels of guardians. I can easily solo level 7 maps on an facet. Frost dragons are fun!

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Robert, is your t-hunter a gargoyle? I worry about running 'round on foot!
He is, if you'd like I can meet you on test and give you a quick walkthru on a few maps. I'll be on foot as a gargoyle to show you how I did it as a human. If you are interested, contact me by sending a tasty carrier pigeon via icq: 57206514. Unless you play on LA or SP.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't have High Seas to do L6 maps but usually do L6 in just a few minutes with greater dragon. Makes me wonder, though, am I only one still thunting with a dragon instead of rising colossus?

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run 2 accs when I do the t-maps. I have my thunter to find them, and my myst/mage to kill the spawn.

If you drop music and add in 120 focus and mystic, u will have no problems doing any maps. Only challange is renegades in illsh. Also make a suit with high mr and lmc.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't have High Seas to do L6 maps but usually do L6 in just a few minutes with greater dragon. Makes me wonder, though, am I only one still thunting with a dragon instead of rising colossus?
Nope! My T hunter still uses a greater dragon, and he can solo lvl 7's, although the frost dragons require a bit of skill and time to take down. Of course if I just had an extra 120 skill slot laying around I could add 120 spell weaving as well. With my mage/tamer/spell weaver/treasure hunter, a greater dragon, and my dragon scrapper, they wouldn't stand a chance!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Disco, RC, bombard with dragon slayer book makes quick work of frosty.
Do you fail much trying to disco on the Frost Dragon? I have been thinking of making a bard thunter using mysticism.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never discoed a frost dragon with my thunter but it was no problem with my disco tamer, first try. She does have 120 music and disco, though. I wouldn't recommend less (with jewelry).

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you fail much trying to disco on the Frost Dragon? I have been thinking of making a bard thunter using mysticism.
I've been hunting with my bard for so long, I don't really notice the fails. It is expected with the high end bard difficulty stuff. Frost dragons are no problem though. When I'm invised, I cast invis, and MW down to toggle my disco macro, and immediately target my mark, shortly after my cursor pops up for invis and I target myself, so it's real low risk. I had a picture posted up years ago when I was in the dungeon in islhenar where the blood ele's and twin ballys spawn. I actually got two paragon balrons spawned, disco'd both and provoked them on each other. The screen shot had the "you provoke message" and two golden balrons squaring off, was a pretty cool UO moment for me. You won't regret making one.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been hunting with my bard for so long, I don't really notice the fails. It is expected with the high end bard difficulty stuff. Frost dragons are no problem though. When I'm invised, I cast invis, and MW down to toggle my disco macro, and immediately target my mark, shortly after my cursor pops up for invis and I target myself, so it's real low risk. I had a picture posted up years ago when I was in the dungeon in islhenar where the blood ele's and twin ballys spawn. I actually got two paragon balrons spawned, disco'd both and provoked them on each other. The screen shot had the "you provoke message" and two golden balrons squaring off, was a pretty cool UO moment for me. You won't regret making one.
You do have 120 disco and music, don't you?

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run
120 Music
120 Disco
120 Mage
120 Meditation
120 Focus
120 Mysticism

I stone on Cartography to decode map, and stone on mining to find it. Move once I start digging and mark the stop, repeat for several maps. Tag my luck statue, and recall to each spot and dig the map with the above mentioned template. Pick it with another character, or stone on lockpick and right back off. Loot, and repeat.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I now use my warrior for chests as I find it much quicker. Also I don't have to run off while looting the chest when a guardian pops. Greater dragon, no problem. AW or Frosty, no problem. Enemy of one, honor, AI=dead a lot faster than disco and RC, and my blade can't be dispelled!

Bringer Of Pain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Mystic
Focus
Magery
Lockpick
Carto
Mining
Meditation

Using my RC and a slayer book I can solo any level map. I lure the harder creatures out a bit so I can cast on them easier. I use eagle strike almost exclusively. Dig up the chest with my luck suit on while mounted. Once the spawn pops run away switch gear then cast invis on myself. Dismount then drop my RC, equip my slayer and go to work. When looting if something spawns, invis myself for a second then recast RC. Easy enough.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bringer of Pain, I might have to try out that template. Currently I have a discordance template but the mana regen seems pretty lacking for high-end chests. Thanks for showing your template!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Mystic
Focus
Magery
Lockpick
Carto
Mining
Meditation

Using my RC and a slayer book I can solo any level map. I lure the harder creatures out a bit so I can cast on them easier. I use eagle strike almost exclusively. Dig up the chest with my luck suit on while mounted. Once the spawn pops run away switch gear then cast invis on myself. Dismount then drop my RC, equip my slayer and go to work. When looting if something spawns, invis myself for a second then recast RC. Easy enough.
What is each skill at with and without skill enhancing items?

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run a myst/mage t hunter and do really well solo up to lvl 6 maps. I tried a 7 but those silly frost dragons are a pain in the rear!

My temp is
100 cart
120 focus
100 lockpicking
115 magery
65 med
100 mining
120 focus

My suit has all 70s resist 100 lrc / 40 lmc and 12 mr with 2390 luck before statue...

Bringer Of Pain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'd have to look but I think it's the following:

120 mystic
120 focus
100 l.p.
100 carto
90 mining
100 magery (+30 jewels)
120 med

18 hpr
24 MR
Well over resist caps
140 hp
26 stam
185+ mana
45dci
15 rpd
40 lmc
Not sure on sdi.

Almost all legendary items from chests.

Now frost dragons can be annoying due to dispels, but with a slayer book they go down with a reasonable amount of effort. Without a slayer it took me a long time.

If anyone is on atl and wants to see how it's played let me know.

Bringer Of Pain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Mana used to be a problem due to casting RC over and over on frost drags. With 24+ MR and 120 focus and med its a rare occasion that I run dry. Also with using eagle strike and a slayer book I conserve on mana quite a bit.

I will say that 18hpr has saved me quite a few times. I run strictly in protection mode and can heal through almost all poison levels with my suit alone.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I now use my warrior for chests as I find it much quicker. Also I don't have to run off while looting the chest when a guardian pops. Greater dragon, no problem. AW or Frosty, no problem. Enemy of one, honor, AI=dead a lot faster than disco and RC, and my blade can't be dispelled!

This is what I am planning to do is use my warrior on the treasure chests. Do you mark a rune away from the spawn so you can recall out and pick them off one by one. What template are you using for your warrior?

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My warrior is:
120 Swords
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Chivalry
100 Lockpicking

Or I have 120 Anatomy and stone it off for lockpicking.

I just got my uncle trained up, and we use two mystics now for treasure maps. Gank the spawn with 2 RC's, pretty quick.