• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Talk to me about ships

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so since I just re-activated my account I added the high seas and SA packages. I really don't know what to expect since I haven't logged in since upgrading (damned real life schedule getting in the way).

What I want to know about is the new ship system. It used to be a fun way to play a thief...run around looking for people getting ready to launch a ship and steal it out of their pack. But since EA sells the high end ships, I wonder...are the ship models blessed?

Another fun thing was to run around on a ship looking for macroers and either get them killed and loot them, or sneak on board and steal their ship by paging a GM to kick them off after stealing their ship key. Does anyone actually sail around these days or did the HS campaign flop like so many other expansions?...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of people fishing these days with the addition of the High Seas expansion and the improvements it introduces to the fishing and ships.

Be warned, one if those improvements is the addition of cannons to the newer boats making piracy much more frequent and expensive if you're on the wrong end of s Canon ball! ;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The new High Seas ships are blessed, they don't even have a Key, the owner sets security on them like a house, and gets a recall rune to the boat. The Old ships you can still get if you manage to steal the key.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You must be warned there matey... ships can, and do, degrade. Arrr... they must be refreshed I say! REFRESH!!!
(lost two ships!!)

Unless, of course, ya get yon lighthouse fer your home by the sea.... then, perhaps, the lost ship will find its way home

(basically, gotta refresh the ship or it go poof)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm, so can you camp an aging ship like an Idoc, or does the cargo go poof as soon as the ship sinks?...la

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly, I've never watched one *poof* to find out.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long do they take to IDOC? It might be interesting to track one to see what happens to the cargo when the ship *poofs* away...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends on where the ship was abandoned. If it is next to a dock I think it only needs to be refreshed like a house. But if it's in open water you only have 48 hours and it vanishes. I learned this the hard way when I purchased my first brit ship. :/

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It depends on where the ship was abandoned. If it is next to a dock I think it only needs to be refreshed like a house. But if it's in open water you only have 48 hours and it vanishes. I learned this the hard way when I purchased my first brit ship. :/
yep, that's what happened to me. was waaaay out on the ocean blue, didn't log in for 5 days, and found out mah ship went to the locker!

The second one decayed next to my New Mag house before I got my lighthouse.
The items go *poof* with the ship - anything deeded on deck as well as items in the hold. So yeah, lost 3 cannons that way. :(
Harsh but firm lesson.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then here is the question, does the detect hidden on these new ships work the same way as houses? I used to love stealthing onto a ship and wait for the captain to "fall asleep" and rob them of everything in their hold or pack. It's a damn shame these ships don't have keys or stealable models.

Of course I understand that since they are charging r/l cash for these items, other players would get a bit bent if someone like me came by and stole their 10 buck ship, lol...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, unlike the classic ships (which still work as you described), the newer ships have a security system identical to a house's security. So you would not be able to board a ship unless the owner has it set to public access.