• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CC expires, house gone, people don't return

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it happened to my friend, and I'm sure it's a fairly common issue.

I'm suggesting that items get saved when the house decays to a special storage system.

Now this is sure to make the IDOCers rage, but i would suggest a new system for them. Not to mention the really successful IDOCers are just scripters anyway. Anyways, adding old rares / more items to treasure hunting and expanding treasure hunting would be my suggestion. Making some treasure hunts into a group event.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If your card expires and you don't login for 90 days...ummmm....then you weren't really using the account or the house I'd say.

I don't want ot be a jerk - I mean I've screwed up when I was bouncing accounts and lost a house I didnt want to lose but that was because Rl had swamped me. Oops. **** happens. But if you're relying on a credit card and not actively playing the account and you go more than 90 days on an account without logging in, well sorry mate.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Didn't their system E-mail you when the payment didn't clear and the account went inactive? They always have sent one to me?

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't always keep up with such things when you're busy elsewhere. But if yall want to keep defending the scripters....LLAAAA

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, so because we think someone losing a house should lose a house because they couldn't take the time to keep track of their account equates to supporting IDOC scripters? Not quite, but please feel free to try again...la

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It isn't a matter of defending scripters, it's a matter of not understanding how your failure to keep your account paid up for one reason or another is Broadswords fault. If the account lapsed, you ignored or overlooked the notices, the grace period expired and the result is you lost your house I don't, and obviously other people don't, see how this is on anyone but you as you should have had ample time (90 day) and notification that there was an issue.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make a few friends ingame, that will call you when it starts to decay...

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand the people should keep up with their account... it was just a suggestion. People lose their stuff = they don't play UO. Why do you think trammel and item insurance was invented. And i'm not arguing about trammel and AoS.

Anyways, so sorry for the suggestion.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If you want to make a suggestion, stick it in the ideas forum. Posting it here kinda makes it look like you are mad about losing your stuff. We get a lot of complaints and rants on UHall so it's was unfortunately easy to misinterpret your intention.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Actually when I've gotten an e-mail about a declined CC, they send the e-mail the DAY it's supposed to charge it...so even still you have 90 days to fix it and refresh your house. If you're irl issues cause you to not be able to check your e-mail for 3 months, I suggest maybe getting e-mail notification on your phone/tablet...something? They do give you ample warning when you're CC is declined.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it wasn't me it was a friend. And he has multiple emails / spam (including a lot of spam from fake gaming websites) as I'm sure a lot of people do.

Anyways, I realize his stuff is gone for good. I'm just trying to help people in the future.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that case you could refer them to a good budgeting advisor.
good one, that totally made sense considering everything that was said previously. gtfo (unless budgeting advisors have access to credit cards that don't expire? or a paypal/checking account payment method? I'm not aware of that, but perhaps your obviously superior intellect can find out)

really you would think this community would be more mature, but i guess gamers are all just bitter ppl who would get their ass kicked if they spoke like that in real life.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
:ymca:

I don't know why the village people emote, just felt like using it....

but I'm usually more polite here than in RL. No boot prints in my dungarees either.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good one, that totally made sense considering everything that was said previously. gtfo

really you would think this community would be more mature, but i guess gamers are all just bitter ppl who would get their ass kicked if they spoke like that in real life.
The reality of it is that so many people have walked into UOHall over the years with one sad story or another about how their home was lost due to RL issues. The community has become numb to it.

Its already an extremely forgiving billing system. Short of extending a credit line to subscribers who don't pay their bill after 90 days; there isn't much they can do.

At some point it has to become the subscribers responsibility to keep their account in good standing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree. If you want to keep your stuff, you need to play the game. If you don't play often then stick the important stuff in the bank.

7 accounts with increased storage hold a lot of items, plus 7 backpacks. Reactivate, and all your stuff is there. The game current storage system does enough to help a situation like this.

Pass that along to help others who want to keep stuff.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had 2 paid for accounts active when i didnt play for a year just to hold my stuff. credit card was good and on auto-pay. about 2 months after i came back auto-pay failed (card was still good)
if this would have happened when i didnt play i would have lost everything and most likely not come back to the game.

Just saying, there are reasons people keep "dormant" accounts, and even if a credit card is 100 percent up to date there are no assurances your house will be there when you get back.

if a card expires, well thats your own fault. i suppose the safest way it to load the account with game time codes however at this point i dont even have 100 percent faith that wouldnt get screwed up somehow.

from a game standpoint, the extra data base needed for storage for non-paying accounts is just unrealistic. it would actually be better on the game if items, or at least most items, were deleted when a house fell.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh man I can't wait to see what @Goldberg-Chessy says about this...His replies are always golden with situations like this.

/me gets popcorn.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree. If you want to keep your stuff, you need to play the game. If you don't play often then stick the important stuff in the bank.

7 accounts with increased storage hold a lot of items, plus 7 backpacks. Reactivate, and all your stuff is there. The game current storage system does enough to help a situation like this.

Pass that along to help others who want to keep stuff.
yes, that is what i did. I just came back this month. But that only works when people intend to unsubscribe.

But i guess megabytes are just so expensive nowadays.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The solution would be that you can see in-game that a house is scheduled to decay on the house sign during the 90 days. Also you get a message when you step inside as you do now when it is condemned. I think this would prevent a lot of accidental house decays.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I all but quit for a few years, I still made sure to keep my billing information updated. I'd check my accounts periodically to ensure I could still log in.

I could have sympathy for someone whose credit card can't get billed, and we've seen a few instances where 30 days is too soon, but 90 days is a fair balance. It makes no difference to EA if you're playing or not, only that you're paying, but it's hard for me to reply in support of someone who didn't attempt to login for a few months.

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Id call myself a pretty darn good and successful IDOC'r and i have NEVER EVER scripted, and I take offense at your lame accusation yadiman. Further, if said "friend" was a uo PLAYER this wouldnt have happened. Sorry for his loss, but the blame lies SQUARELY on said friend. And a big fat NO to somehow saving idoc crap for victims of thier own makings. Bank accounts loaded with game valuables on 7 toons should hold the stuffs, drop the house, stop paying the account, and the stuff isnt looted by THIS non-scripter. And shame on you for coming here cry whining about this and then accusing folks here of being immature. Maturity would have been "friend" making more effort to attend to his business. And you not crying about his inability to TCOB!

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id call myself a pretty darn good and successful IDOC'r and i have NEVER EVER scripted, and I take offense at your lame accusation yadiman. Further, if said "friend" was a uo PLAYER this wouldnt have happened. Sorry for his loss, but the blame lies SQUARELY on said friend. And a big fat NO to somehow saving idoc crap for victims of thier own makings. Bank accounts loaded with game valuables on 7 toons should hold the stuffs, drop the house, stop paying the account, and the stuff isnt looted by THIS non-scripter. And shame on you for coming here cry whining about this and then accusing folks here of being immature. Maturity would have been "friend" making more effort to attend to his business. And you not crying about his inability to TCOB!
So you're an exception. Do you deny that there's a lot of IDOC scripters? Also, I did try to give a similar alternative. I'm sure it wouldn't have the possible extreme payday / lottery, but meh.

Also, WHERE WAS I WHINING? I NEVER whined. You people just wanted a fight so you acted like i was whining. I just said that when people lose their stuff, they quit.

Now you'll say, "who cares if they quit, they weren't playing anyway." Well I doubt most people play this game non-stop. People leave and come back.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally like doing idocs. But in my experience, and the few I know who do them, the scripters are the ones placing, trying to steal the spot...The hot zone helped with that, altho even it expires after a little bit.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW, the only reason he didn't cancel his account intentionally was because he wanted the shard transfer shields. Nice little business model EA has for themselves.

And yes... I know it was his fault. Doesn't change anything i said tho

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
put something forward in "Ask the Devs" that you think might help prevent his frustration and if it is possible they will look at it. That's what I meant about an ideas forum earlier.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
put something forward in "Ask the Devs" that you think might help prevent his frustration and if it is possible they will look at it. That's what I meant about an ideas forum earlier.
I posted a topic there. Also I just recalled that a guild member of ours quit last year over this very issue. It is completely needless and a few improvements could prevent things like this from happening.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With such a big guild, I would have figured one of the guild members would have been able to keep an eye out for another guildy...la
You only have 1 week when a house starts to decay. He couldn't be reached during that time. One of my accounts went inactive earlier this year and thankfully someone let me know about it before it decayed.

My credit card was stolen for the third time in 2 years. I have to change the information on all my accounts again. If you bill every 6 months it is easy to miss that your card was declined.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your card expires and you don't login for 90 days...ummmm....then you weren't really using the account or the house I'd say.

I don't want ot be a jerk - I mean I've screwed up when I was bouncing accounts and lost a house I didnt want to lose but that was because Rl had swamped me. Oops. **** happens. But if you're relying on a credit card and not actively playing the account and you go more than 90 days on an account without logging in, well sorry mate.
Yeah... I really have a hard time finding any sympathy for people who get all upset when their houses collapse. I think many of us play the ole "abuse the 90 day timer" game, and should all know the risks involved.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've hardly played or thought about UO in the last couple years. I can still manage to keep an eye on my finances well enough to know that my cards are expiring on X date and that my account bills on the Yth of the month.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its no ones responsibility only the players if they do not watch their accounts, and lose everything.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its a good thing they didn't play "back when" if you didn't open THE HOUSE DOOR,
your house was not considered to be " REFRESHED" thereby it fell.. didn't matter if
you logged in, you HAD to OPEN the HOUSE DOOR.. and it was every 7 DAYS.. or poof :violin:
...a lot of times real life does conflict with UO, but that's when the Game Codes come in.....

or ways to come up withe the money within, say 3o days...
mmm go without a few Starbucks.. a don't buy a pizza or 2 that month, don't buy a few
6packs of soda or other beverage of choice .. that's only a few ways .. am sure there are many more

sorry your friend lost his things, but its alway's up the "buyer" to make sure bills are paid..
glad it wasn't the Electric Company

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cards expire. One of my cards was part of the home depot breach. It still worked for buying fast food but the bank set its limit to $50. I didn't know anything was wrong until I tried to make a bigger purchase.

So, we have to watch out for expired cards, Hackers that get card info from businesses', and whatever else. Either watch your statements or put your valuables in the bank if you are going to be gone a while.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cards expire. One of my cards was part of the home depot breach. It still worked for buying fast food but the bank set its limit to $50. I didn't know anything was wrong until I tried to make a bigger purchase.

So, we have to watch out for expired cards, Hackers that get card info from businesses', and whatever else. Either watch your statements or put your valuables in the bank if you are going to be gone a while.
Don't you get an email about account closing?

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you get an email about account closing?
Yes. The people who are claiming this is a serious problem are making sure they cover all the 1 in a Million probabilities to back their case.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The system itself works fine. I received 3 emails this morning advising me that those 3 accounts I had logged in during RTB, were now off again. I'm assuming RTB ended at midnight ? If not my reply is going to look really silly. :) My point is, if the system is working fine, it boils down to folks playing Housing Roulette too much.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure is a lot of people fighting for the loss of others. I guess if you don't have a problem, no one else does either.

Not like anybody read what i wrote anyways, so you all go **** yourselves. Worst community i ever saw.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
btw, i wouldn't care if people disagreed, but everyone has to be a smartass about it

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure is a lot of people fighting for the loss of others. I guess if you don't have a problem, no one else does either.

Not like anybody read what i wrote anyways, so you all go **** yourselves. Worst community i ever saw.
I have kept my mouth quiet on this thread since you seemed to be getting enough from everybody else but honestly you should have been expecting it. You came onto an online games forums and asked that a game system be changed simply because your friend can't manage a responsibility which is a major part of being an adult, namely properly keeping track of their finances. This game system, while not perfect is still fun for many of the players here. Yes the IDOC system is exploited by less than honorable persons and should be fixed for that reason, but not for the reason which you stated.

Your friend made a mistake. A mistake which can be made by anybody but not one you should be expecting to change game play for in the expectation that he makes it again. My advice is that your friend get a tighter hold on their finances, reopen his account and rebuild what he has lost. I know it is a pain in a$$ but all of here have had to do it to some extent or the other. For me, the process of getting what I have was the fun of playing the game, and I had to go through the process of losing everything and rebuilding it again and while frustrating it proved to be an enjoyable life lesson learned.

To sum up, no a game system should not be changed simply because your friend made an easily avoidable mistake.

Also, making comments such as the one I quoted will likely keep you from getting help from the community in the future when you may genuinely need it. You need to watch which bridges you are so eagerly setting ablaze behind you.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game system, while not perfect is still fun for many of the players here.
Where is the fun in losing your house if your account goes inactive without your knowledge?