• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Doom - forgot about looting - and then ...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow nice! hopefully the brittle won't devalue it too much.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow nice! hopefully the brittle won't devalue it too much.
I think brittle means you can't fortify it when I starts wearing down - but you can repair it (254, 253, 252) - seems like as a mage piece, it should last forever anyway. I guess the main point for me is a reminder to check corpses and not just wait for the doom drops :)

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
great item!!

yeah i loot most of the time... cuz ya never know!! the other night i got lazy... hahaha .. and i can just imagine a piece like that or something worth 200m just decaying.

keeps me looting these days

the funny part to me is the fact i find myself looking thru items like the AOS days.. ir before just hoping for something special :)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Brittle on a Major or Legendary is great really. It acts essentially exactly like an imbued piece. I have actually scrapped an imbued suit and replaced all of the pieces with brittle Legendary / Majors.

Kurik

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Nice one with that amount of luck. I've ran my guy there with 1900 luck and haven't got one legendary yet. But I known it for years that this game hates me ;-)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow. Nice one with that amount of luck. I've ran my guy there with 1900 luck and haven't got one legendary yet. But I known it for years that this game hates me ;-)
It's always so great when you farm something for like 3 hours, and right as your leaving you see someone that just showed up 5 minutes ago get the exact thing you were looking for :) Ah, UO, the game that loves to torture us.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think brittle means you can't fortify it when I starts wearing down - but you can repair it (254, 253, 252) - seems like as a mage piece, it should last forever anyway. I guess the main point for me is a reminder to check corpses and not just wait for the doom drops :)
That's one of things I envy to scripters, the ability to use a selective loting script.

With limited time Events like Doom, to increase the number of special drops one needs to be a killing machine and the more the better.

Clearly, taking the time to check out and loot every corpse takes time and quite some.....

If one has 1 hour game play time, just killing could mean perhaps a kill every 3-4 seconds and thus some 1,200-900 kills in an hour.
But if one needs to take time to check corpses for every kill, look at the items to see if they are keepers and all that, the number of kills per hour could get halved if not even less...

Scripters using a looting script, need not to worry, their script checks all corpse's items according to the filters they previously set and if anything is within their filters it gets picked up automatically.
That is, scripters using a loot script can just bother killing over and over and over and thus not only keep their chances at the new Doom drops as highest, but never miss a good or great loot item that was on the corpse !!

Now, WHY such a handy feature is not within the new UIs for the Enhanced Client to put ALL players, at least in regards to looting their kills, on the same level of advantage as that of scripters ?

I play using the Classic Client, but if the Enhanced Client would provide me with such a handy feature, be able to loot automatically corpses of items I can custom select for quality, I would change client without going back.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I agree. Some sort of loot option would be nice. There is some sort of "agent" called scavenger in the enhanced client. It allows you to set a loot bag and choose items to go in the loot bag but it does not seem to work. Or do what I think it should do. I figured it was a basic program for collecting regs that have spawned but I cannot figure out how to make it even do that.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Collecting doom drops, decided on a whim to loot a rotted corpse I just killed - this with 95 luck
Nice piece. I was starting to worry that there was a cap on the artifacts outside the gauntlet. I have only seen lesser artifacts. This makes me think there may still be hope.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Big fan of looting. 21 doomies dropped per 4000 demon bone.

Guess the best loot so far for me is some leather legs with 3 mods. 13 phys resist - 25% LRC - 10 LMC. My looting desire is over shadowed by my imbuing interest. Now we just need a new BOD reward that raises imbuing cap 25 points per use with some item cap. Or random chance for neg mod added per use.

Now if we can get them to unlink high SDI and HCI both spawning on jewels.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I normally avoid brittle like the plague but I would pay for that. Incredible piece! I wonder what that would go for if it was prized, lol.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I normally avoid brittle like the plague but I would pay for that. Incredible piece! I wonder what that would go for if it was prized, lol.
I'd guess about 100m, despite being Brittle (which is basically "Clean" now that it's defaulted to 255 durability. Antique is the only true negative property, since it decays with play time along with damage.) LMC/LRC's a little low, but the stat mods/regen bonuses and resists more than make up for it...plus you can just get the LMC/LRC in other pieces.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hm, I usually discard anything with brittle, but I guess it's desirable now?
Brittle = Imbued

It spawns with 255 durability - every time. If you would toss out an imbued item, fully fort powdered (and still able to be enhanced) with Major or Legendary mods, then by all means continue discarding them. (or give them to me :) )

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That's one of things I envy to scripters, the ability to use a selective loting script.

With limited time Events like Doom, to increase the number of special drops one needs to be a killing machine and the more the better.

Clearly, taking the time to check out and loot every corpse takes time and quite some.....

If one has 1 hour game play time, just killing could mean perhaps a kill every 3-4 seconds and thus some 1,200-900 kills in an hour.
But if one needs to take time to check corpses for every kill, look at the items to see if they are keepers and all that, the number of kills per hour could get halved if not even less...

Scripters using a looting script, need not to worry, their script checks all corpse's items according to the filters they previously set and if anything is within their filters it gets picked up automatically.
That is, scripters using a loot script can just bother killing over and over and over and thus not only keep their chances at the new Doom drops as highest, but never miss a good or great loot item that was on the corpse !!

Now, WHY such a handy feature is not within the new UIs for the Enhanced Client to put ALL players, at least in regards to looting their kills, on the same level of advantage as that of scripters ?

I play using the Classic Client, but if the Enhanced Client would provide me with such a handy feature, be able to loot automatically corpses of items I can custom select for quality, I would change client without going back.

Popps, I put together a mod for EC that highlights things you might find useful. It still needs a lot of work but if you or others are interested I'll try to finish it up and make it presentable. Its hardcoded for my preferences right now, and it still has some bugs and needs a configuration menu. Of course, it doesn't do any auto looting for you but it saves the hassle of looking at the tooltips for every single item. What I wouldn't give for at least an "open all corpses" function in EC.

loothighlight.jpg

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have been scouring doom all week and have not gotten anything above a lesser artifact. What luck are you running to get a legendary? I've seen nothing close.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Post #1 - 95 luck
That doesn't mean I ever expect it happen again, though

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nice. That would be helpful if I could actually play in the EC right now. My spells are constantly being grayed out and unusable...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm, I usually discard anything with brittle, but I guess it's desirable now?
Really its just like imbued... cept it starts with 255 durability. It's really not much of a negative at all. My imbued stuff never wears out, and hardly any of it is over 100 durability even.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't really pick up anything brittle or Antique.... all junk in my opinion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You don't use imbued stuff either?
I use Imbued stuff but Imbued stuff doesn't get destroyed simply by putting it on much like the Antique stuff does... That stuff loses durability at an ALARMING rate... Garbage in my opinion.... why build a suit around crap that's going to be gone after just a few uses?

As for the Brittle crap ..... again I'm not about to build a suit around crap that isn't going to last a good long while... I can "fix" my imbued stuff and it'll last for YEARS... It might lose 1 durability point each time I fix it but when I start with 255 that will take a LONG, LONG time before it's down to even 200... So they are fine.... but that Antique crap is dead in just a few short hours of use.... and needs a repair... everytime you look at that crap it's pretty worn down... Just not worth even looting IMO.

I have over 60 characters on GL's alone... that's not counting the countless characters I have on other shards and such... so if I spend time fixing up a suit ..... I want it to last.... Imagine having to refix and maintain a couple dozens suits every week.... what a pain. Sure I use a few characters more than others..... and yes some of my characters are crafters and don't really "fight"...... but seems to me that even just casting spells on stuff and the Antique crap loses durability... So No..... not worth the time or energy to use.

If I had "one" character that I used yes maybe I'd waste my time having to farm a new piece every other week.... but since I have a whole mess of characters I use frequently NO I don't want to have another thing I have to "maintain"..... Already I grind out maintaining Fame, Karma, Virtues, and getting over 300 characters their .1 gains every week..... So adding another grind to my already full schedule is a NO...... unless I want to give up doing events, give up attending EM events, Give up doing the Trade Quests..... give up being Governor.... give up trying to maintain the duties of my Governorship.... and give up design and decoing things.... which if I give up all that stuff.... well I just may as well quit UO. Because that's what I enjoy.

I don't enjoy having to work to maintain outfits.... I don't like to have to have a PhD in Mathmatics to build a suit let alone maintain it. And on a weapon I'm bashing stuff with all the time.... thats totally useless. I'd be fixing it every 20 min.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Imbued stuff but Imbued stuff doesn't get destroyed simply by putting it on much like the Antique stuff does... That stuff loses durability at an ALARMING rate... Garbage in my opinion.... why build a suit around crap that's going to be gone after just a few uses?

As for the Brittle crap ..... again I'm not about to build a suit around crap that isn't going to last a good long while... I can "fix" my imbued stuff and it'll last for YEARS... It might lose 1 durability point each time I fix it but when I start with 255 that will take a LONG, LONG time before it's down to even 200... So they are fine.... but that Antique crap is dead in just a few short hours of use.... and needs a repair... everytime you look at that crap it's pretty worn down... Just not worth even looting IMO.

I have over 60 characters on GL's alone... that's not counting the countless characters I have on other shards and such... so if I spend time fixing up a suit ..... I want it to last.... Imagine having to refix and maintain a couple dozens suits every week.... what a pain. Sure I use a few characters more than others..... and yes some of my characters are crafters and don't really "fight"...... but seems to me that even just casting spells on stuff and the Antique crap loses durability... So No..... not worth the time or energy to use.

If I had "one" character that I used yes maybe I'd waste my time having to farm a new piece every other week.... but since I have a whole mess of characters I use frequently NO I don't want to have another thing I have to "maintain"..... Already I grind out maintaining Fame, Karma, Virtues, and getting over 300 characters their .1 gains every week..... So adding another grind to my already full schedule is a NO...... unless I want to give up doing events, give up attending EM events, Give up doing the Trade Quests..... give up being Governor.... give up trying to maintain the duties of my Governorship.... and give up design and decoing things.... which if I give up all that stuff.... well I just may as well quit UO. Because that's what I enjoy.

I don't enjoy having to work to maintain outfits.... I don't like to have to have a PhD in Mathmatics to build a suit let alone maintain it. And on a weapon I'm bashing stuff with all the time.... thats totally useless. I'd be fixing it every 20 min.
If you use imbued items then you should be willing to Brittle ones. It's exactly the same thing.

Antique I can see, but Brittle is even less detrimental than Unlucky in my opinion.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use imbued items then you should be willing to Brittle ones. It's exactly the same thing.
Is it though? I've posted in a few threads about this and have even tried to get confirmation from the devs.

Sure it spawns as 255 durability and can be repaired like an imbued part but I would prefer to here from a dev to make sure that brittle = imbued.

I always thought that brittle = slightly faster durability loss but not as fast as antique.

I have been keeping all the insane brittle parts I have farm but I'm yet to include them in any of my suits yet.

Don't get me wrong I think they are the same as imbued parts but why can't they just put this stuff in the patch notes to let people know!! Also "brittle" is the wrong name if they are the same as imbued. It just doesn't sound correct. Brittle to me means weak, old and not strong.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it though? I've posted in a few threads about this and have even tried to get confirmation from the devs.

Sure it spawns as 255 durability and can be repaired like an imbued part but I would prefer to here from a dev to make sure that brittle = imbued.

I always thought that brittle = slightly faster durability loss but not as fast as antique.

I have been keeping all the insane brittle parts I have farm but I'm yet to include them in any of my suits yet.

Don't get me wrong I think they are the same as imbued parts but why can't they just put this stuff in the patch notes to let people know!! Also "brittle" is the wrong name if they are the same as imbued. It just doesn't sound correct. Brittle to me means weak, old and not strong.
I don't know, but its easy to test! I'll give it a go if I can. I have only heard of extra durability loss on antique stuff though.

And I agree if I am correct, then the title should be like... "coated" or "saturated" or something...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Since this new publish, brittle stuff get all my love! All of it.
They last more than long enough for my needs and some of the brittle stuff I have found is pretty crazy.
I see no reason to not use them, even if there is the possibility that they could be damaged and thus die faster than imbued stuff.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing all that killing. Collect the demon bone and summon up the gold skull vendor. Now there is some good loot'n while sporting a lucky zoot suit.

Then there is go ring the Doom Bell and run away. Still think the Skelly Dragon should have 3-5 bone piles that equal 100 bone each. Zombie farming is so yesterday. Guess that is why I have a BoD book full of bone sets. Milking NPC vendors is so mind humbing. Just put in a NPC vendor goldsink that allows higher count goods at a slightly higher price. Stocking up on things like bone and blank scrolls should be so Deet Dee Dee.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Is anyone else getting anything over a lesser artifact in the non-gauntlet part of doom?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this new publish, brittle stuff get all my love! All of it.
They last more than long enough for my needs and some of the brittle stuff I have found is pretty crazy.
I see no reason to not use them, even if there is the possibility that they could be damaged and thus die faster than imbued stuff.

The faster durability burn is just the code mages poking fun at us in this MMO. If your solo fighting uber critters is tearing up your armor? Maybe your doing UO all wrong. Find some friend is the moral of the harder critters. Ahh for the days when tamers had meatshields and welcomed team hunting. Instead they have oversized scaled nose warmers. GD with that breath weapon coming from random ends would be interesting. Right after the lizard collar crafter would have the Greater Dragon Butt-plug for tamers with sensitive skin.

Bring back the macer weapons bonus ability to tear up durability. Add in a Smith skill bonus. I can see it now. PVPers running from a mace weilding smith "Really!?! Come back! I can fix armor also!"

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is anyone else getting anything over a lesser artifact in the non-gauntlet part of doom?

Bone Demon. Not tested the Skelton dragon yet. Even with nearly 3k luck the arty are a rare drop from the normal spawn. Don't hang near the "DOOM ROOM" becuase I'm practicing the art of being a GM. Not noticing the obvious is the first step in that end.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I only had 700 luck. I'm starting to think there is a cap based on your luck. I probably would have needed ~1500 luck to hit the threshold for greater artifacts.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone will be envious of this one (2440 Luck with Statue) from either a Rotter or Mummy.
upload_2014-11-1_16-33-22.png

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why would you want night sight on a ring when you can wear nocturne earrings and use the slot for something else? What am I missing here?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Irony, that is what you're missing there.
He was being ironic because that item is pathetic. At least it is worth a doom treasure point! :D

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I build a set it all fits together like a puzzle. I don't want to see it wear out. So imbued/brittle/etc. I don't even consider buying. If I found something of that nature I might put it on a secondary character like a crafter, but that's about it. Much of the imbued stuff i probably would have paid nice coin for had they left it alone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Antique I can see, but Brittle is even less detrimental than Unlucky in my opinion.
I was always under the impression that Brittle had a much higher rate of becoming damaged. Perhaps I'm wrong but... I still don't mess with it. So I don't know.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Checking the most recent patch notes and past patch notes, Brittle only mentions the inability to be made more durable with powder. Brittle items used to have considerably lower durability, but that isn't a problem right now.

There is one difference between Brittle and Imbued, but really only matters when unravelling an item. Because of some issues with making relic fragments early on, imbued items get a negative modifier or multiplier applied when they are unravelled.

I have used brittle items, made with reforging, and not had a problem with them.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Got this small piece tonight at the dark guardians in doom with 250 luck:
sleeves.png

Pretty decent. And can be enhanced still. Might trade it or use it on one of my dexxers. A pity that it isn't plate or studded.