• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SOTA Available on Steam

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If you are a backer of SOTA and wanting to prep for Release 11 you can now do so via Steam. It's simple log on to SOTA's website https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com, Go to Account and near the bottom will be the option of redeeming a Steam Key for SOTA. They are encouraging people to do this so they can test and assure the distribution via Steam is bug fee ahead of next weeks release.

If you don't have Steam, you can acquire it for free simply by signing up at http://store.steampowered.com/ and downloading and installing the Steam Client.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can't play, just download
Right, Release 11 is next week, and they using this time to catch any bugs with distribution through Steam. SOTA was only recently Greenlit on Steam and this is the first time it's been available for download from there.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't play via steam, but I created an account and followed the process, it worked flawless on the download. I will run SOTA next weekend through steam to help test it

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I kind of like Steam, it has a big benefit. I have about 1.5 Terabytes of Game Installs (yes over a TB) but only 40 of the 77 games I've purchased through Steam, along with a few games from Origin and some other titles. I can swap the Steam and Origin games out to keep from eating up any other space. Basically I can uninstall a game, and install a different one and never worry about needing to download an installer, or losing a disk, Steam and other similar services does it all for me and carries over from PC to PC. It's almost like a Backup of all the games I do or might play, all my saved games are stored there for titles using it, and I can go from my Desktop to my Laptop when I want to play a bit while on Vacation and pick up where I left off at home.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the patching and stuff is MUCH faster via Steam... really does help with last minute updating. :)

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the patching and stuff is MUCH faster via Steam... really does help with last minute updating. :)
I don't understand it myself, but having played (R11) via SotA installer, and then via Steam, I actually seem to get a "less prone to crashes" game using Steam. Maybe it's my old age....I don't know!!!

Either way, so far, has worked just fine. I'm still not sure how I feel about Steam, and I have played on Steam on and off for years. My concern ......I'm not really sure, afraid of change maybe, I don't know, that old age thing again.