• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wrait form confusion

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I decided to try 100% LL weapons and wraithform today, and the results were... well nothing like I expected.

I thought wraith worked like vampy, and from what I remember of using wraith years ago, it did. Every hit leeches some straight % of the damage you do as mana. That would seem to be what UO Guide says as well.

Well, that is NOT what I noticed. I was fighting Rotten Corpses in Doom. My average DS hit lands for 180 - 350 damage, so if I was leeching 10% per hit, and my DS's cost 22 mana, I would have expected to basically always be at full mana. Instead what seemed to happen would be that I would spend most of my time at roughly 0 - but then when someone died my mana would go back up to full??? Carefully watching my status indicated that my mana was seemingly going nowhere on every hit.

Looking at my buff bar, it says 5% mana "drain". I have 0 SS, and per UO Guide, I should leech 8% of my damage at 0 SS.

Am I (and by me, I mean UO Guide) wrong about something here? The only thing I can think of would be that Rotting Corpses have 0 mana, and therefore I cannot leech any mana?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ding ding ding.....I believe you have a winner...but it might also be your lack of SS. Test it by attacking something you know has mana

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of my head, you leech 2 % mana per 10 points in spiritspeak. So human chars get 4% mana drain, gargoyles and elves nothing without spiritspeak.
Also, your enemy needs to have mana, a lot of newer mobs got fixed in that they got low mana to begin with.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You leech 2% of your damage as mana for every 10 spirit speak skill. It also assumes the target has mana to leech. This is why some monsters give you no mans even though you are killing them easily.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Rotten Corpses don't cast... Try monsters that cast spells. Also Wraith usually needn't HLL because uses Curse Weapon... except when it is a human with 0 real skill points in necro and SS.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like said, Wraith Form gives Mana Drain, which means the target actually has to have Mana remaining to leech back in the first place, unlike how Mana Leech on weps work.
This can be good, or not so useful. Against monsters with low Mana/Mana Regen that don't use Specials/Spells, it's not much use. But against monsters that use Specials/Spells, you can use Wraith Form to deprive them of enough mana that they can't use Specials/Spells, therefore denying them part (or even the bulk) of their offense. Particularly useful against Cora. Some monsters can regen Mana so fast that you basically have infinite Mana against them while in Wraith Form.