• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enhanced Client Spells becoming unavailable

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but here's my hubby's experience.
Stealthing in Exodus Dungeon, Drachenfels.
Spells in hotbar with hotkeys set randomly grey out and become unavailable, most noticeably when passing the Nexus. (Nexii? Plural?)
Of the spells on his hotbar. Recall remains lit. Telekenesis, Greater Heal and Invisibility grey out.
Mind Blast greys out with the additional information on mouseover 'target out of range'. He has no active target at the time.

He says to ask Mesanna where he should send the bill for the insurance it's costing him :D

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hehe, died at least 10 times due to it as well yesterday :D Bleak said they are looking at it, so it should be on the radar.

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here, except there's no insurance on Siege. Good thing it's hard to die as a mystic/stealth/mage.

While I couldn't cast invisibility, greater heal, etc using the hotbars (healing stone was working), it was working when casting the spells directly from the spellbook.
I haven't figured out the pattern, but if you want to reproduce the problem, just go in the underworld and summon RCs at Tyball's shadow; your heal/invisibility will stop working when you need it ;-)

Zalfein

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but here's my hubby's experience.
Stealthing in Exodus Dungeon, Drachenfels.
Spells in hotbar with hotkeys set randomly grey out and become unavailable, most noticeably when passing the Nexus. (Nexii? Plural?)
Of the spells on his hotbar. Recall remains lit. Telekenesis, Greater Heal and Invisibility grey out.
Mind Blast greys out with the additional information on mouseover 'target out of range'. He has no active target at the time.

He says to ask Mesanna where he should send the bill for the insurance it's costing him :D
The spells gets disabled just for few reasons:
- Paralyze
- Lack of skills
- Lack of mana

Since some spells stills availabe I thik the paralyze can be exceluded :p

Mr Obvious

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
This issue is still out there today I set new macros and it doesn't work. I also was just walking around and see macros go gray on my screen like there are dead spaces in the environment. You can still use the spell or skill as it were for Bushido, Chiv, etc.. by using the spell from your book which is difficult to do at times.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This issue is still out there today I set new macros and it doesn't work. I also was just walking around and see macros go gray on my screen like there are dead spaces in the environment. You can still use the spell or skill as it were for Bushido, Chiv, etc.. by using the spell from your book which is difficult to do at times.
This is exactly what my hubby said, dead spaces in the environment. It happened while he was simply walking along stealthed. I watched him do it.

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's how to replicate:
- go near a monster, let it aggro on you (or attack it)
- run away, at a certain distance from the monster, some of your spells will become unavailable
- if you continue in the same direction, they will come back
- if you turn around toward the monster, they will come back

basically, your spell are unavailable in the range 12-13 to 17-18 tiles away from the current target.

Zalfein

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I discovered a similar effect after clicking my house sign - noticed my invisibility spell was greyed out on the hotbar and unusable - after a bit of head scratching and experimentation, I realised it was because I was 12 tiles away from the current target (house sign) - even though the macro is set to target self. Moving closer to it or deselecting the target, freed up the macro; moving further away while it was selected, caused the macro to be disabled again, along with heal spells etc. The tooltip doesn't explain why it's disabled, which it does when the hotbar item is set to 'current target', suggesting the hotbar knows it's wrong on some level...

So it seems to be just over-zealous application of the new system, which I otherwise quite like :) look forward to having it fixed!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remember that spells with target current uses the current target distance as check for availability, switch to target cursor :p

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Remove Curse which is set to target self did also become unavailable a few times when mana was definatly there and i didnt do anything a few seconds before, so cast recovery time is out of the question. Did happen when running away from a mob, so there may be a distance bug somewhere.
Did check hotbars, i dont have any other Remove Curse there set to different target.
Probably did happen a few other times as well with spells, but this one i did notice the cicumstances and remember.

kronides

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been driving me nuts lately, so I came here to investigate the problem of spells graying out. As far as I can tell, Pinco is correct: if you select a target and run from it (which I do all the time playing a pure mage) then leaving the distance required to cast the spell at the target but keeping the target selected will cause most spells to become unusable from the hotbar. It is a distance-from-target thing, or certainly seems to be in my case. This realization made hunting last night much less frustrating.

Dethsius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I noticed a few misconceptions here. The bug is more simple than is being explained.

- You dont have to be around mobs, any sort of terrain or have any negative effects on you for this to happen. It's as simple as this:

You can reproduce the bug simply by walking around anywhere. There seems to be places all around you that if you stand on it, some or most of your spells will grey out. They supposedly fixed this in one of the latest patches where you could cast even though it's greyed out, but this is not fixed. Simply walk around anywhere and you will find a spot where part or most of your spells will grey out.

Let's use healing for example. This is horrible since when you're fighting mobs, you have to move a distance before your heals will be available again. I noticed that often, you don't even have to move for the spells to grey out. It happens when:
- Being attacked by mobs
- Being casted on by mobs
- Someone near you casting a spell that doesn't even target you
- Skills like meditation will grey out if someone else uses any kind of skill or spell around you as though you used the skill actively yourself.
- Standing still and any actions take place
- Moving around without any actions taking place
*This happens with not just healing but many spells*
*This doesn't just happen to cursor target spells but to most spells no matter what you have them set up as for targeting*

I noticed the spells that it doesn't seem to happen to are summon type spells.

Funny thing is... if you use heal while it's greyed out, it will not work with either the button or the macro key you have it set to, BUT it will work by clicking heal on your lifebar. If you unlock and relock the macro bar, 'sometimes' it will come back for a short period of time, sometimes it will not.

When you die, if you have rune books or spellbooks in your macro bar, they will grey out until you either relog or unlock your task bar, pick up and drop the books back into the bar then lock the bar back. (by the way... whoever thought about putting locks on the first box in the macro bar really didn't think this through. More often than not, I click the damned lock instead of the spell because the lock is IN THE WAY! Right clicking the bar and choosing lock or unlock is perfectly good enough)

I use EC. Since one of the last patches, my EC has become all but impossible to use. It makes gameplay horrible and I hunt seldom because of it because when you need to cast spells to keep you alive at crucial times, they are not available and you DIE! CC doesn't work well on my monitor and I don't feel like programing endless spells and features back into macros. UO... You broke my beautiful EC!!!!

A few the bugs they listed as fixing in the latest patch notes have not been fixed. EC it riddled with bugs since the big change. Lifebars do not update, Bank Box still pops up as a list the first time you open it, setting a fel side rune as the default rune will send you to trammel side when using the book as a recall target, after you set it (must close client - the next time you open it this bug takes place until you set the rune as default again), lagged out bags when you first open then, lagged out bags when you open more than 4, items sometimes dont show until you put more than one item in a backpack, vendor search locks up, doesn't work, or closes while in your house or at the bank until some time passes.. It thinks you're in a fight. This also happens when mobs target you while you're in your house.

Soooo many more bugs that I could spend an hour listing them and I'd still forget some.

Edit: I should note that when your macros grey out, I have found that simply clicking something else around you will make them come back but targeting the mob again in this case will often make them grey out again. I would also like to make this clear, that you don't have to be around mobs for this to happen. It also happens along the back wall and various locations in my own house with no mobs or creatures around. I can simply walk around my house for this to happen.

Last edited:

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use EC. Since one of the last patches, my EC has become all but impossible to use. It makes gameplay horrible and I hunt seldom because of it because when you need to cast spells to keep you alive at crucial times, they are not available and you DIE! CC doesn't work well on my monitor and I don't feel like programing endless spells and features back into macros. UO... You broke my beautiful EC!!!!
Can't agree more. EC is unplayable. I'm not going back to CC and I'm not paying for a game I can't play. Sad thing is, this bug is major but the Devs don't take it seriously. Can you imagine how people would be if the same thing was happening to CC?

Not much I can do about it, except cancel my accounts, which I did. I figured if the bug isn't fixed by the time my house decay, it'll never be. 83 days to go.

Zalfein