• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Don't delete factions!! (just yet)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The approach of more=better is only pertinent with adding monsters and loot in tram..all they did was turn around and turned faction into a grind..tweak the system..revamp faction Artie's I'm ok with farming silver to but an artifact only usable in fel..but every 4 weeks? Really!

I'd rather spend my time and gold on shame loot that doesn't break and can make up for the loss of minor stats and not use faction gear..try ranking up on a dead shard...near impossible especially since people quit factions due to the blue statting..they wouldn't be hard to fix

-Artifacts costs a good amount of silver
- can only be used in fel in tram they lose 1 durability every 10 minutes wether in combat or not and can not be repaired or powdered..

-Stat loss with blues ring able to stat needs to stop! Change the code so in order to get stat loss the faction character must do 80% damage..

- Add in a tiered stat loss..
1st death - 5% stat loss for 3 minutes
2nd death- 5% stat loss for 7 minutes( timer starts over on death)
3rd death- 10% stat loss for 5 minutes(timer resets)
4th death- 10% stat loss for 10 minutes(timer resets)
5th death+- 15% stat loss 15 minutes..

-Fix sigil corruption bugs within cities

-Change tax rates and make the vendors compete with better prices than vendors in Ter Mur

-Better vendors
-Reagent Vendor(Mystic,Necro)
-Bottle Vendor
-Consumables Vendor(faction apples,faction potions,faction bandages,faction 3 use bolas..etc)

-Add new animal breeders or pets
-Faction Horse 1000 Silver
-Faction Ridable Llama. 3000 Silver
-Faction Armored Horse 5000 Silver
-Faction Swamp Dragon 7000 Silver
-Faction Armored Swamp Dragon 10k Silver

-Revamp all bases (maybe a community contest) with dev supervision

-Global messaging system for when sigils are stolen..2 hours to steal them back

Just a start on things that could help..

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree cazador, and totally support "simple fixes" rather than some whole new system that no one has really asked for. that goes with everything in uo. the refinements is a good example. the governing system. every expansion since SA. great stuff, interesting, but not very utilized.

the simple and easy fix is the best. new stuff is great, but Only when theres nothing left to do. id like to see a simple fix, and devote more time to bug fixes / anti duping / game security/ customer and in game support etc.

First thing that would come to my mind if factions were redone: DONT CUSTUMIZE MY HOUSE because there would surely be so many bugs. that shouldnt be the case

In my mind, a content addition like the one suggested in Vice / Virtue should take at least 9months to a year of constant development, testing, and bug fixes with a full team before it should released as a respectable game addition.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's been a lot of great feedback regarding the future of factions and how the concept of Virtue and Vice will ultimately be implemented. There are some things about factions that will be incorporated into the final plan, just as there are some things about Virtue and Vice that will be incorporated into the final plan. There are also some things from the feedback we've gotten across a variety of sources that will be implemented into the final plan. Our next step is to likely put together a prototype on a test shard and go from there. This is still some time away as there are some immediate content updates that are currently in development for the next pub that we are all really excited about. Again, thanks everyone who has given feedback so far. We look forward to continuing the conversation.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's been a lot of great feedback regarding the future of factions and how the concept of Virtue and Vice will ultimately be implemented. There are some things about factions that will be incorporated into the final plan, just as there are some things about Virtue and Vice that will be incorporated into the final plan. There are also some things from the feedback we've gotten across a variety of sources that will be implemented into the final plan. Our next step is to likely put together a prototype on a test shard and go from there. This is still some time away as there are some immediate content updates that are currently in development for the next pub that we are all really excited about. Again, thanks everyone who has given feedback so far. We look forward to continuing the conversation.
And that's great but at the same time don't delete factions at all..revamp them to what PvPers want..set up polls at yew gate or at the entrance of despise..not on this board because let's be honest your most likely getting a biased answer or feedback. There is less than 5-10% of people who PvP in this game on these forums..this is a great spot to start talks and things but ballot boxes need to be out into game period.

Instead of deleting factions or even "merging" the two leave factions the way it is, turn VvV into a mini game associated with it and tweak the downsides of the current system. If it can't be done that's one thing, but I don't think most PvPers want a two team "faction" wannabe system it WON'T be used for the most part..

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Delete factions completely - lets start over (or at least on Siege)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that's great but at the same time don't delete factions at all..revamp them to what PvPers want..set up polls at yew gate or at the entrance of despise..not on this board because let's be honest your most likely getting a biased answer or feedback. There is less than 5-10% of people who PvP in this game on these forums..this is a great spot to start talks and things but ballot boxes need to be out into game period.

Instead of deleting factions or even "merging" the two leave factions the way it is, turn VvV into a mini game associated with it and tweak the downsides of the current system. If it can't be done that's one thing, but I don't think most PvPers want a two team "faction" wannabe system it WON'T be used for the most part..
PvPers actually appear to be over-represented here relative to the actual game. So if it's really 5% to 10% here, then that is that. However, I think it's more than those percentages for Stratics. Maybe 5% to 10% for the game at large but it's really hard to tell specific percentages.

At any rate, looking at the Virtue vs Vice thread there's basically no uniformity of opinion from the PvPers.

Curiously the group of hard-core Factioners, who for these purposes should be considered separate from other PvPers, have mostly been quiet. I think they know that this is the twilight of Factions as they know it.

-Galen's player

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still don't get why the pro tram anti fel guy keeps poking his nose around in a system he most likely will NEVER use..

This virtue/vice system in its current "concept" for is complete garbage! It is not a replacement for factions. First of all ..if you go scan through those 18 pages of trash you will see the people who are doing the pvping and not the people who are interested in a new system to link up with their governor status you will see 2 teams are just plainly NOT ENOUGH..period! Nobody has asked for some capture the flag wannabe mini game to be called factions replacement..we've been down this road with the so called "armor revamp" all they did was add more junk to farm to keep like 100 players busy..it was ok for the first few weeks people didnt know how it worked.now maybe you find a handful of people collecting it. We don't need another half assed system said to be in concept on stratics then pushed thru in 2 months and say well it's good right ok..no? Well god guys we tried to make fel fun..back to enhancing lord blackthorns throne room.

FIX FACTIONS! And then add your little virtue/vice as a mini game on the side..

If you do a walk around and talk to the guilds pvping on Atlantic alone you will see less that 5-10% of them even have an account here let alone post..there needs to be a ballot box at the gate or at dsp entrance where the folks who will be actually using it travel often.

Factions are a completely joke as of right now, and instead of "righting that ship" they are scrapping it and wasting dev hours making something nobody will play, for at least an extended period if time that is..fix the issues that YOU guys created with factions and then go back to making filling BODS and collecting deco more exciting..

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still don't get why the pro tram anti fel guy keeps poking his nose around in a system he most likely will NEVER use..
I have explained repeatedly that my solely devoting myself to Trammel is a relatively recent development.

Most of the rest of your post is not worth quoting, as you appear to only be paying attention to the posts you want to pay attention to.

There's no real uniformity on this, there's only those who claim uniformity for their own points of view, and I do not envy them in coming up with a system.

Indeed there was no real uniformity on how to "fix" Factions before. The players listened to unfortunately, in previous attempts to fix Factions were not Factioners but hard-core, direct confrontation PvPers who used Factions as an excuse to fight but did not actually care about Factions.

As to what'll happen now....Who knows.

-Galen's player

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Delete factions and make every one in fel orange and statable no guard zone or reds :)
Says the guy that never steps foot in fel alone lol.

If you had ever pvped solo you might understand that this is a ridiculously bad idea.

You are a very, very good pvp mage bro (group and solo against all other mages) but you have never been able to stay onscreen against a good warrior(especially my thrower)so please spare me your stat everyone nonsense until you can show me that you can survive in fel on a template that isn't only designed to fight other mages.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The approach of more=better is only pertinent with adding monsters and loot in tram..all they did was turn around and turned faction into a grind..tweak the system..revamp faction Artie's I'm ok with farming silver to but an artifact only usable in fel..but every 4 weeks? Really!

I'd rather spend my time and gold on shame loot that doesn't break and can make up for the loss of minor stats and not use faction gear..try ranking up on a dead shard...near impossible especially since people quit factions due to the blue statting..they wouldn't be hard to fix

-Artifacts costs a good amount of silver
- can only be used in fel in tram they lose 1 durability every 10 minutes wether in combat or not and can not be repaired or powdered..

-Stat loss with blues ring able to stat needs to stop! Change the code so in order to get stat loss the faction character must do 80% damage..

- Add in a tiered stat loss..
1st death - 5% stat loss for 3 minutes
2nd death- 5% stat loss for 7 minutes( timer starts over on death)
3rd death- 10% stat loss for 5 minutes(timer resets)
4th death- 10% stat loss for 10 minutes(timer resets)
5th death+- 15% stat loss 15 minutes..

-Fix sigil corruption bugs within cities

-Change tax rates and make the vendors compete with better prices than vendors in Ter Mur

-Better vendors
-Reagent Vendor(Mystic,Necro)
-Bottle Vendor
-Consumables Vendor(faction apples,faction potions,faction bandages,faction 3 use bolas..etc)

-Add new animal breeders or pets
-Faction Horse 1000 Silver
-Faction Ridable Llama. 3000 Silver
-Faction Armored Horse 5000 Silver
-Faction Swamp Dragon 7000 Silver
-Faction Armored Swamp Dragon 10k Silver

-Revamp all bases (maybe a community contest) with dev supervision

-Global messaging system for when sigils are stolen..2 hours to steal them back

Just a start on things that could help..
Factions is stale, broken and promotes ganking.

Cya and good riddance.

-Hey Arnold-

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Says the guy that never steps foot in fel alone lol.

If you had ever pvped solo you might understand that this is a ridiculously bad idea.

You are a very, very good pvp mage bro (group and solo against all other mages) but you have never been able to stay onscreen against a good warrior(especially my thrower)so please spare me your stat everyone nonsense until you can show me that you can survive in fel on a template that isn't only designed to fight other mages.
Lol i pvp a lone all the time and outnumbered 99% of the time lol and r u talking trash on a thrower? Lol but ill 1v1 any time u want :) but yeah if they deleted factions every one in fel statable and attackable u would quit guess thats why u hate it :/

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol i pvp a lone all the time and outnumbered 99% of the time lol and r u talking trash on a thrower? Lol but ill 1v1 any time u want :) but yeah if they deleted factions every one in fel statable and attackable u would quit guess thats why u hate it :/
Ya bro. I would quit lol.

I play a solo red thrower. How would your bs scenario make a difference to me again?

You on the other only run in a group on a blue.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ban all the illegal 3rd pp users, all the script users, and speeder using faction folks that think theyre actually good at this game and love to talk smack abt their leet skillz. Better yet, Police factions better for voliations and maybe more folks would play factions.

Ahhh wait...forgot to take my meds. ^^The above will never happen^^. Back to farming tangles & slithers.... sorry ya'll, please continue....

Last edited:

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they need to change the silver farming in relation to the gear always breaking. ill be damned if im going to spend my playing time with a job of farming silver.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One or the other not both.

And your changes do not make people want to play factions the way it was intended.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they need to change the silver farming in relation to the gear always breaking. ill be damned if im going to spend my playing time with a job of farming silver.
Just do away with Faction Arties, problem solved. Oh wait that means Factions would just dry up and blow away.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just do away with Faction Arties, problem solved. Oh wait that means Factions would just dry up and blow away.
Factions when done correctly allow pvpr's to access pvp across all shards. if you haven't noticed the nerf has pretty much consolidated the fighting to just atlantic. it is really a fel thing only. arties allow players to economically suit up across the shards, which I think strengthens the game. If pvp occurs on your shard, than so does commerce as players buy the wares you merchant.

your quote is the classic pee in the cornflakes reaction to impugn a playstyle that holds no interest for you but does for many others.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions when done correctly allow pvpr's to access pvp across all shards. if you haven't noticed the nerf has pretty much consolidated the fighting to just atlantic. it is really a fel thing only. arties allow players to economically suit up across the shards, which I think strengthens the game. If pvp occurs on your shard, than so does commerce as players buy the wares you merchant.

your quote is the classic pee in the cornflakes reaction to impugn a playstyle that holds no interest for you but does for many others.

From your context it appears that your reference to "when done correctly" is to the Faction Artifacts, and bringing them across shards; to the problem that some people had become so dependent upon the Faction Artifacts that they could not fight without them and did not wish to get them anew.

All I have to say to this is that it relegates the many years of Factions before the Artifacts were introduced to Factions not being done properly, which is not a credible argument.

Sadly Faction Artifacts did more harm than good and dear God was I wrong to have thought "wow, what a great idea."

It's really creepy to see folks who refer to the Artifacts themselves and/or the era of the Artifacts as "Factions," as though that era were the totality of it.

The hard-core Factioners, the real hard-core Factioners who were present long before the Artifacts have for the most part been quiet in these discussions.

I think this is because they recognize that Factions as is is no longer sustainable and yet there'll never be a system that unique and all-encompassing that possibly can replace it.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree wholeheartedly that the mechanics of factions needs to be changed. I believe installing game mechanic that provides incentives for holding the towns or defending ones base would bring about a fresh coat of paint to things.

the artifacts themselves when initially introduced allowed players to suit themselves up across shards in an economical fashion. a modern day non faction mage suit will cost a few 100 million if you want to do it the right way just as a for instance. this brought players to shards that they would not normally frequent. when this happens players will move to purchase items to aid them which helps all local shard economies. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

I don't buy the yesteryear argument. times change. I use to like hanging in local bar that was in existence for the past 70 years but was wiped out by the Sandy storm and will not be rebuilt. you always have to move forward, its just the normal course of life.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fought in factions before and after artifacts..and honestly the old factions if implemented today wouldn't be fun..the population is no longer there for the massive 7 hour faction raids and defenses..it just isn't. That's why when I say they need to be tweaked it isn't for super über leet faction items..it's to make the system playable and fun again..and this virtue vice trash is just a waste of time as it currently sits. As its being delegated and talked about by people that will never use it..like yourself Galen. That's where the issue lies.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is already a thread for the new changes. We don't need a second.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not a faction thread bro..it's a mini game faction replacement..but thanks for the link