• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RELEASE HIGH RES TEXTURES

S

spitfire12

why the hell is this taking so long? EA just sit there dilly dallying about whether its going to be 'perfect' for these old-fart subscribers who cannot conform to any change. JUST RELEASE THE TEXTURES, the EC is pathetic with high pixelated garbage thats called 'art'....

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why the hell is this taking so long? EA just sit there dilly dallying about whether its going to be 'perfect' for these old-fart subscribers who cannot conform to any change. JUST RELEASE THE TEXTURES, the EC is pathetic with high pixelated garbage thats called 'art'....
currently the high res work has been suspended and it requires a LOOOOONG time to be finished...
They just finished the terrains and they were working on the house walls before the suspension... I don't see it finished before at least 2-3 years IF they starts to work on it again...

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's ridiculous! It's in the top three of just about anyone's list of what's wrong with the Enhanced Client and UO in general, art.

Yet, work on the art is now suspended just months after telling us they are working on it.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's ridiculous! It's in the top three of just about anyone's list of what's wrong with the Enhanced Client and UO in general, art.

Yet, work on the art is now suspended just months after telling us they are working on it.
after 15 years we all should know that 90% of the devs resources is for server and new contents and less than 10% for clients.

Actually they are working on something new shiny content for 15 anniversary so the art work has been queued...

But even if they work on that, they are too few to complete the task in a short time. Let's say there are 5 artists able to complete 2 texture per day each one, we have 10 texture per day. UO has something like 40 thousands texture at 10 per day: 4k days that are about 10 years :mf_prop:

S

spitfire12

maybe if they start wiping their ass with RECYCLED PRINTER PAPER, they could afford some contract artists to draw some of these TEXTURES... for christs sake...

wtf suspend high res art? when the entire goddamn community WANTS ART, NO FARTS, JUST ART TO START, YOU DUMB TARTS

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Less caffeine may help.

Seriously, Grimm is working on it. I've been harping on the graphics issue since they downgraded from KR to Legacy artwork sets, but I also know that Grimm is busy working on them and personally I'd rather them be released and be RIGHT and amazing rather than half-assed.

The biggest problem with EVERY new UO client 3d forward has been releasing stuff LONG before it should have been. Let's break that habit... it will be for the best to do so.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know for me and a lot of my friends who used to play, that we want to give EA our money but until they either reinstate KR or graphics comparable to KR we will not ever return to UO. One thing this game absolutely must do if it is ever going to crawl out of the hole it is in, is to update the damn graphics and interface to be more modern. It doesn't have to go 3D it can retain the classic top down view and still look good, if EA will ever do this I will just say shutup and take my money! and get as many people as I can to do the same.

This will likely never happen though as EA seems to be satisfied with UO's tiny niche in the market of being a throwback to older times, which is sad because gameplay wise the game offers more than any other mmo that has come out since.

W

Woodsman

I actually think the graphics were important to both Cal and now Jeff, especially since Jeff was an art guy. Before Jeff moved into management with Warhammer and Imperator Online (which I wish had been finished :( ), this was the kind of stuff he did according to one of his profiles:

Mass Effect Jun 05 – Dec 05
- Modeled both high and low poly props for environments

Lead World Artist Apr 03 – Jan 04
Dark Age of Camelot: Frontiers & Trials of Atlantis
- Led a team of 8 World artists
- Concepted and constructed several dungeon sets

World Artist Feb 02 – Apr 03
Dark Age of Camelot: Foundations, Shrouded Isles and Live
- Player Housing for Hibernia and Albion Realms
- Concepted and constructed all SI dungeon sets
- Completed new shields and weapons for DF, assisted with Epic Armors and Monsters

He's worked on mobiles, housing, and terrain, so he's hit everything.

Like Dermott or somebody else said, I wish they'd show us some concept art of what they are currently working on. A properly done graphics upgrade for the 15th anniversary would get UO even more attention.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rather the UO Team put all their resources into getting UO a contemporary look and feel than putting out this event arc stuff. It's pretty bad we have browser games that blow UO out of the water in terms of resolution. The only people that should be working on UO are graphics artists. If the game gets to where it can be considered high resolution, then and only then should they start adding more content or event arcs.

The fact that they aren't willing to show any graphics leads me to believe they don't have anything and their just blowing up smoke everyone's whazoo. Lip service and propaganda as usual.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rather the UO Team put all their resources into getting UO a contemporary look and feel than putting out this event arc stuff. It's pretty bad we have browser games that blow UO out of the water in terms of resolution. The only people that should be working on UO are graphics artists. If the game gets to where it can be considered high resolution, then and only then should they start adding more content or event arcs.

The fact that they aren't willing to show any graphics leads me to believe they don't have anything and their just blowing up smoke everyone's whazoo. Lip service and propaganda as usual.
they were just working on house tiles that are few hundreds and there is very few to see...

For what can I see UO has no resources to revamp graphics specially after the latest failures:
1. Kingodm Reborn get lots of $$$ and then it results as a big failure, the graphics was bulky and not impressive as it should and the stability was terrible.
2. Stygian Abyss should be the next chance given by EA to Mythic in order to recover from the failure of KR. SA was not that great success as they expected. When it get out it was incomplete (and partially still).
3. High Seas was another chance given by EA to Mythic to fix their mess, but then HS was a big flop due to the bugs and the insane work required to fire a cannon.
4. They tried again with a big ship that was supposed to be one of the 7th wonders, but result as another piece of deco since is expensive, slow, and has no real advantages vs the other ships.
5. EA cuts the founds and kicked the Mythic out, now we have a new producer that should "save" the game with a small men power and short money. Actually seems they are recycling places and items in order to give new game experiences that IMHO is a good idea... but the great weakness of UO is the client and new contents do not impress much peole anymore :(

To be honest the best thing to do with UO should be trash both clients and make a new one in HTML 5 that will grants to be played from every modern device without problems, but this is extremely expensive and risky and will never happen.

New graphics for EC? possible in a very long time period (4-5 years at least) unless EA feels generous and grants to UO a huge amount of money and men to seriously revamp the game (very improbable).

In conclusion, we must be happy of what we have because probably we will never see nothing better... UO is made by its contents, if you want a modern and graphical immersive client probably it's not your game :D

W

Woodsman

Jeff is showing something off: "Big day tomorrow. Showing @RayMuzyka some cool stuff. Couldn't be more proud of what the team was able to accomplish."

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with UO though :(

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
currently the high res work has been suspended and it requires a LOOOOONG time to be finished...
They just finished the terrains and they were working on the house walls before the suspension... I don't see it finished before at least 2-3 years IF they starts to work on it again...
No,no,no. Nothing that long. But you're right in that it's a long process. No guarantees, of course, but I think well be able to get them in by this year.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Less caffeine may help.

Seriously, Grimm is working on it. I've been harping on the graphics issue since they downgraded from KR to Legacy artwork sets, but I also know that Grimm is busy working on them and personally I'd rather them be released and be RIGHT and amazing rather than half-assed.

The biggest problem with EVERY new UO client 3d forward has been releasing stuff LONG before it should have been. Let's break that habit... it will be for the best to do so.
From your... post to... Jeff's ears - or eyes as the case may be.

Absolutely, we've done some really fantastic work with the high res stuff, there are still some engineering and artistic issues we need to sort out, but this is our and Jeff's point of view, what's the point of putting I all this work and money if it's not bang- on? And let me tell you, converting 2D to 3D (and then converting that 3D BACK to 2D) ain't no walk in the park.

- Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Jeff is showing something off: "Big day tomorrow. Showing @RayMuzyka some cool stuff. Couldn't be more proud of what the team was able to accomplish."

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with UO though :(
of course it had to do with uo!

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Link? Because he was asked twice by others and didn't answer.
Honestly, I don't know what Jeff showed that was UO related, but I can think of a few things that we're working on that would have contributed to the cool factor.

-Grimm

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm,

Think you could get Jeff to peel back the secrecy and show us a few screenshots of a few the redone art pieces? Even a few concept shots would go a long ways to show that progress is being made and that we have something to look forward to.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm,

Think you could get Jeff to peel back the secrecy and show us a few screenshots of a few the redone art pieces? Even a few concept shots would go a long ways to show that progress is being made and that we have something to look forward to.
Well, we posted a few shots of some of the new artwork a while back. You'd be looking for something more along those lines?

-Grimm

L

Langeblan

i m totaly agree with spitfire, Kr was not slow on my computer of 5-6 years ago, it's was only buggued and crached often.

Why hell, they have make this **** of uo EC. It's not enhanced, it's a garbage.
Personnally i have succes de copy/cut somes textures of KR on EC. I get back the floor high res, but not house and tree.

Devs have smoke junky cigaret thinking that was graphical was slowed the game!
Probleme are players of ultima who play on old notebook!

If you play at crysis on old book that shouldn't work !!!

GET BACK US KR RESOLUTION! or we make a REVOLUTION !