• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

While the Cats away the Mice will....

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I mentioned to Jeff casually that all great producers in UO have like a UO name to go by.

Yes he's Jeff Skalski, Producer for all things Ultima but if you were to suggest the Sunsword, Mr. Tact, Lady Lu, Uriah type of UO Producer's name, for fun, what would it lend towards?

Would you rely on Ultima lore or something more tongue in cheeky nowadays?
So we're curious, we're also cautious that it stay R-E-S-P-E-C-T-ful and fun.

For me?
I thought Ultima Lore wise - Erstam (the mage). Crystal can flog me for getting my UO history wrong but as someone who cleared out bad voodoo and created some dungeon and was into exploring it rang Jeff to me :)

For nowadays cheeky - Jeff "I got your nose" Skalski just because all adults love the child's play and toying with our emotions :devil:

What are your thoughts?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wasn't there already a "Tweetie" or something of the like YEARS ago involved in the UO/MMOG media scene along the same time that Lum the Mad was active (LOOONG before Twitter)?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wasn't there already a "Tweetie" or something of the like YEARS ago involved in the UO/MMOG media scene along the same time that Lum the Mad was active (LOOONG before Twitter)?
Sanya Weathers. Tweety (Bowl of Mice I think was her website). Worked for Mythic, did rants on EQ. She was a co-worker with Lum during Mythics formative years. Currently working on a game called Dominus, a space fantasy that's 3 faction RvR/Crafter centric.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmmmm there is a quest in Heartwood to slay 10 harpys and Jeff likes to tweet so....

Birds of a feather, tweet together.

I know, I know. To long and all but "Rio" just don't sound so funny.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HMM...... a name fitting for a leader of UO.

Well he has a penchant for the ipad, so something to do with the apple?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thus part of the 'detachment' from our game with his Twit’er obsession. lol

“Tweety” works! hehe. Good one, babe.

I would say... loose the Twit'er account and any nickname around it and find something more to his personality and origional. And by the way... I have dibs on all Pixie names. :p

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thus part of the 'detachment' from our game with his Twit’er obsession. lol

“Tweety” works! hehe. Good one, babe.

I would say... loose the Twit'er account and any nickname around it and find something more to his personality and origional. And by the way... I have dibs on all Pixie names. :p
So not PixieApplePad? :thumbsup:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We could just take the s and the ski off his last name and have a new Cal but spelled with a K :p
(S)kal(ski)
Ski wouldn't be bad LOL Skitter the twitter.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have it!
To reflect the fact that Jeff favours Twitter - a bird reference
To reflect the fact that he is the 'chief' of our developers, a 'king' reference
and
To reflect the fact that the lands he has control over are Mythic(al)

Griffin
The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, grýphōn, or γρύπων, grýpōn, early form γρύψ, grýps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of the creatures. Griffins are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions
Griffin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
we should read deeper into heffa's credentials and background for a nickname.
the bird thing is over with

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running history of producers

Tempski

Maybe the games need those in charge of its success a 10 year contract. Pay is 1% the games total intake after your employees cut. Use, lose and choose them as needed to build a better game and paycheck. What better drive for someone in that type of seat to do well. Game goes belly up after 6 years, there is a box in a broom closet that needs to be held down for 4 years. As an invester what better person to have making you money then the driven.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Jeff *Griffin* Skalski......hmm...has a nice ring to it....

Also lookin at his pics on Twitter...

He likes Aftershock...that gets him an A+++++++++++++++ from me :devil:

The bacon candy canes cracked me up, thumbs up for that.

Not sure what to say about the huge pile of red nike's though, that kinda creeped me out o_O

But none of that stuff really screams out a name for me....Griffin is good but not GREAT.....I'm thinkin more along the lines of a comicon name or...a gamer geek kinda name....just lookin at him he screams something like that..Thor or...Magnus.....

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
To reflect the fact that Jeff favours Twitter - a bird reference
To reflect the fact that he is the 'chief' of our developers, a 'king' reference
To reflect the fact that the lands he has control over are Mythic(al)

The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, grýphōn, or γρύπων, grýpōn, early form γρύψ, grýps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of the creatures.
This.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Does this mean "Ub3R 13E4 h4XoorR 4LiEF" is out? :<

Meanwhile, I like the Greekish spelling: Gryphon.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But.....

Does Jeff like it??
Does it really matter? :D

It's like my mother saying she wants to be called 'Nana' when her 1st grandson arrives. My bother and I told her that the kid will call her whatever we (ie. the rest of the family) refer to her as. As such, we (my brother and I) have decided to refer to her as 'Grandma Apie'. We're hoping that this will be too difficult for his young tongue and will come out 'Grapie'.

So I submit that if we pick a name and only refer to Jeff by it, eventually it will stick. Hopefully... if we're lucky. ;)

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Chimera is appropriate for a producer.

Sure, there's the whole twitter thing which leads you to discussions of birds, but when you think about what he does, he actually has to wear many different faces.

Some of them aren't always pretty. :D

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was born in Athens, Greece so this has a cool sub meaning for me. Love the ideas everyone. Keep them coming. Gryphon is my fav so far.
Yay! I've placed two Gryphons in front of my house, in anticipation. :)

JS Gryphon.jpg

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once a nickname is chosen, start thinking about what kind of signatures would fit. This is a great opportunity for our creative players out there :)

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote we tie it into the account management and support currently available in game and give him the nickname of:

ThankYouForPlayingDarkAgeOfCamelot

W

Will Kaldhel

How about salvester, the tweety bird cat. If im spelling it right. since he likes birds so much?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's Sylvester.. I believe. Though I'm not seeing him as a cat... Bonnie is more of a cat.

Perhaps Jeff has his own pet name... Did anyone ask him?

Though I'm rather partial to Gryphon... Wish we had some real ones in game other than just a few statues.

New tamable ridable pet... be awesome! They got to be every bit as good as a Cu... I'd say something like a Hiryu on steroids. And with wings they would fly... That would be way cool...

*wanders off to daydream about it*

S

Sevin0oo0

Though I'm rather partial to Gryphon... Wish we had some real ones in game other than just a few statues.

New tamable ridable pet... be awesome!
The Gryphon ate all who dared too close to it's nest of gold. I'm for it!

I'm for a Flying pet too - move like the Gargs - seems only fair

jskalski

Franchise Producer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
New tamable ridable pet... be awesome! They got to be every bit as good as a Cu... I'd say something like a Hiryu on steroids. And with wings they would fly... That would be way cool...

*wanders off to daydream about it*
I like your thinking. ;) Hmmm....

As for the name Gryphon, I'm sold! Bring on the signature designs! It's an honor to be named by the community. Thanks everyone.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like your thinking. ;) Hmmm....

As for the name Gryphon, I'm sold! Bring on the signature designs! It's an honor to be named by the community. Thanks everyone.
*Gets an evil twinkle in her eye*

OOo... well Jeff if you liked that Dream you should see the 100's of others that are always pinging around in my head.

I've often said here on stratics that I would LOVE to hold one of you all captive for a day to see UO like I see UO. And to be able to tell you all the things "we" as gamers see and are frustrated with or wish could be "fixed".

I kinda think of some of the stuff I see in game kinda like the old picture of the Native American looking at the land and seeing all the garbage strewn all over it with the tear in his eye.

There are so many things I'd like to show you all and bring to your attention... and OH so many ideas.

Trust me over the years I've certainly offered up more than my fair share of them.

But a Gryphon for a mountable pet would be totally cool. I'd even be OK if it was a 5 slot pet.

When you all are done with dungeon reconstruction you think you could move on to an overhaul of some of the pets? Hiryu's need some love in the art department for the EC... OMG for ugly now. The Reptalon just needs love period... talk about a totally useless pet. The Skree falls into that category too. We need Dread Warhorses to actually spawn somewhere... and be tamable again. And many of us have a great love for the White Wyrm.... we'd love to see our beloved old pet get a revamp and grow to a greater wyrm... And we in the EC miss having color variety to many pets including the dragon.

As for the Sig I have the day off tomorrow I'll see if I can come up with something.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There are so so many Griffon/Gryphon images to choose from.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Sorry. Better?

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having seen the vid, I'm thinking more of a bald eagle griffin might work.