• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] New Client on the Patcher

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like a 208 mb patch for CC. That seems like a fairly big art update, no?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think whoever post these updates should familiarize her/himself with the terms like client patch and publish notes. Also, the previous client patch was x.0.24.3, the new one is x.0.24.5, where is the client patch x.0.24.4?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That title is TERRIBLE...

"New Client on the Patcher"

Taken at face value, one might believe there is now a third game client... not just another content publish/patch.
I didn't think UO.com posts could get worse. :D

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when I read the patch I read it as they were replacing the client.exe with another client.exe...hehe not a new, different client ;p come on guys hehe

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do we know what the new art is? I tried to view it in the ec but the viewer I am using keeps glitching
there are no more programs able to see the contents of the UO files ... not for CC neither for EC :/

however, there are no changes at all, probably they just added a new monster...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think probably the large patch was another step in securing the classic client.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There IS a program to see the graphics files in the EC... not sure if it works with the new 2d files or not though.

If they want to be specific, they should have titled the blurb "New Client Build" or simply "Client Patch X.X.X.X today". The terminology has become quite clumsy in the Herald blurbs lately.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There IS a program to see the graphics files in the EC... not sure if it works with the new 2d files or not though.

If they want to be specific, they should have titled the blurb "New Client Build" or simply "Client Patch X.X.X.X today". The terminology has become quite clumsy in the Herald blurbs lately.
lately is not working anymore, it's possible something has been changed... in any case that program was far from being considered completed...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are no more programs able to see the contents of the UO files ... not for CC neither for EC :/

however, there are no changes at all, probably they just added a new monster...
InsideUO doesn't work anymore? I've not used it for a while

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when I read the patch I read it as they were replacing the client.exe with another client.exe...hehe not a new, different client ;p come on guys hehe
I would agree but this is stratics, a forum where anything as much as a single misused comma in posts made from uo.com is enough to rile the crowds into a frenzy. lol

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there's another one that does work for the new CC/EC files but we're not allowed to link it here :/
the latest patch breaks them all, probably is changed something in the base file structure :(

S

Sevin0oo0

the latest patch breaks them all, probably is changed something in the base file structure :(
I wonder if a custom game file structure is in response to freeloaders, Or if something special is in the works to be released soon that they plan on NOT sharing their work with free shards anymore. While I'm not interested in a stump hack or anything similar, I do get nosy, and just wanna look now and then

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if a custom game file structure is in response to freeloaders, Or if something special is in the works to be released soon that they plan on NOT sharing their work with free shards anymore. While I'm not interested in a stump hack or anything similar, I do get nosy, and just wanna look now and then
if so it's a silly move, it won't effect the freeshards at all...they're not using EA patches as they come out, they'll just continue running with the files they already have. Besides, between the conversation earlier and looking a bit deeper it looks like the byte offset actually just changed by a few bytes (they added a extra data field maybe, i don't care enough to look further) so it's a 5 minute patch to the tools if their authors even still monitor them.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a smart move. They simply starting to use the same kind of file structure for CC and EC so they can add animations and new graphics without messing up with different files. In this way they will spare time :p
Also I don't think they care about freeshards, basically the devs are simplifying their work and nothing else :D

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still continue to hope what Bioware fix the game window size in Classic Client. It's possible!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still continue to hope what Bioware fix the game window size in Classic Client. It's possible!
Sure it is and it'll look like *** too because the resolution of the 2d client is NOT good and can't be at a larger screen size.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure it is and it'll look like *** too because the resolution of the 2d client is NOT good and can't be at a larger screen size.
Me and other CC users satisfied with the graphics quality. We need only more game space.

Who needs a super hi-res textures - uses EC.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Me and other CC users satisfied with the graphics quality. We need only more game space.

Who needs a super hi-res textures - uses EC.
This isn't directed at you SirZ, but I always laugh when pvp'rs talk about how the EC looks like crap when so many of them have for years replaced all their pretty trees with stumps, and their cool looking fields with coloured squares. This upcoming publish may be the biggest graphics upgrade in the history of UO for an awful lot of players.

Of course it's about functionality, it's not about being able to zoom the playing area, it's just about making it bigger. At least one of the most popular cheats was able to do this, it shouldn't be that difficult for the devs to do it. The only question is whether they want to or not. ;)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the CC frame was 125% of what it is now then it would be perfect for my monitor, but at the expense of some resolution. Windows Bitmap does a pretty decent job of increasing the size of .BMPs but it all has to do with the original artwork, as we've seen in the Pixel Challenge thread. There must be a way to create an engine that would bump the size of the game frame up, even at the expense of resolution...I mean, you can full screen the CC, for better or worse...so might as well be able to 125% it, just for kicks.

bsluspo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But it culd be acceptable.
First a creen grab (814x612):
cap.PNG
Its then resized 2x using hq2x:
cap2x.png
Finally down to 1010x759 with windows paint:
cap2x61.PNG

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can always set your desktop resolution to 640x480 so you see everything bigger and you will respect the designed resolution for that ... thing...

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course it's about functionality, it's not about being able to zoom the playing area, it's just about making it bigger. At least one of the most popular cheats was able to do this, it shouldn't be that difficult for the devs to do it. The only question is whether they want to or not. ;)
Exactly! I think many people in this thread can't understand it & speak about unnecessary zooming.