• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Expantion

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Nice one airmid ..good set up to ;-)

W

Woodsman

Art Outsourcing is when you hire additional artists on a temporary basis to help out with completing art tasks.

-Grimm
So does this mean you all are working on getting a full graphics upgrade out, not just for tiles but for characters/monsters/etc.?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So does this mean you all are working on getting a full graphics upgrade out, not just for tiles but for characters/monsters/etc.?
A pair of extra hands doesn't make him god :D
If you will be good this year, maybe for xmas you'll get high res cookies, but just that :p

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I look at it like this! If they are putting ANY money into ANY Graphics thats a good thing!

W

Woodsman

I look at it like this! If they are putting ANY money into ANY Graphics thats a good thing!
If it's only partial, it's wasted. The lower-rez stuff will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd like to think that they are going to do everything.

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember when High seas came we were suppose to get boosters every 6 or so months... I dont count the gothic/rustic theme packs as booster even though they charge for them lol. But honestly I think what is most important now is meaningful publishes full of bug fixes and reutilization of current content which is what they are doing with the virtue dungens. But this also needs to spill over into Ilsh, Malas, Tokuno and so forth. High res artwork is also crucial for the survival of the game. I'm a dedicated CC player but I like the interface/functionality of the EC but it honestly gives me a headache, its blurry and when I run it doesnt "seem" like my char is moving over the ground, it looks like hes on a treadmil and the ground is moving under him if you get what I mean...

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not only the client, when KR came out, for me it was only the client and only the engine itself not the graphics. Now it is both, the client is now patched down so that nobody likes it, real 2d players become headache and KR players are angry about the 2d graphics and the game content is booring.

So why it is booring?
Because there is nothing worth to fight, there is nothing to get, Doom is dead, ML peerless dead, SA peerless dead, HS peerless dead, Shame and Wrong loot is bad also dead. And now?

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now we don't have any plans for doing an animation update for high res... BUT... I am working on our pipeline to support that should we decide to go that way. But as huge a undertaking as environment art is, animations are several steps above that in complexity, so I wouldn't expect anything in that direction for quite a while.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A pair of extra hands doesn't make him god :D
If you will be good this year, maybe for xmas you'll get high res cookies, but just that :p
No, I wouldn't be a God, but I might bear a resemblance to Kali... like a distant, hillbilly cousin.

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
could we please get Greater dragons to at least be the same colors in BOTH clients :) and a couple other pets

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's only partial, it's wasted. The lower-rez stuff will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd like to think that they are going to do everything.
I'd like to think that we're going to eventually do everything as well! But I'm not a subscriber to the "all or nothing" school of thought. The animations will not be as noticeable because they are constantly moving.

-Grimm

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now we don't have any plans for doing an animation update for high res... BUT... I am working on our pipeline to support that should we decide to go that way. But as huge a undertaking as environment art is, animations are several steps above that in complexity, so I wouldn't expect anything in that direction for quite a while.

-Grimm
for what I can see the animations are almost good, there are only some to be revised... for example dragons in order to have the brown version, maybe just use the bleach on it and dye it after :D
IMHO when tiles and items are in HD surely we will have a client more "attractive", but I think there is also some work to do with particles to really have a good looking client. Obviously there is also a big part of work to do to fix others thing to improve the client, but as normally happen what you see have a bigger impact than everything else :p

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
could we please get Greater dragons to at least be the same colors in BOTH clients :) and a couple other pets
Hmm.. I can look into the greater dragons issue, but additional pets??? I'm thinking I need three zombies on chains now... :)

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for what I can see the animations are almost good, there are only some to be revised... for example dragons in order to have the brown version, maybe just use the bleach on it and dye it after :D
IMHO when tiles and items are in HD surely we will have a client more "attractive", but I think there is also some work to do with particles to really have a good looking client. Obviously there is also a big part of work to do to fix others thing to improve the client, but as normally happen what you see have a bigger impact than everything else :p

Yea, Bleak has really been on me about particle FX. I don't know if you've noticed but I made a significant improvement on the chain lightening effect. It doesn't look any different, but its not a resource hog anymore. But FX is *also* on my list and I get a near weekly reminder from Bleak that I need to get on that. :)

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hmm.. I can look into the greater dragons issue, but additional pets??? I'm thinking I need three zombies on chains now... :)

-Grimm
lol no I was not asking for new pets, Their are a couple that like the greater dragons are not the same color in both clients or look terrible in one client and good in the other! for example in the cc you have brown AND red dragons in the EC all of them are orange! example 2 in CC and EC Hyru's look nothing alike at all. like they used the wrong artwork or were having one of those moments :)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol no I was not asking for new pets, Their are a couple that like the greater dragons are not the same color in both clients or look terrible in one client and good in the other! for example in the cc you have brown AND red dragons in the EC all of them are orange! example 2 in CC and EC Hyru's look nothing alike at all. like they used the wrong artwork or were having one of those moments :)
I see, well I've made some improvements on the greater dragons already, but I don't know if you folks can see that yet. I'll look into the orange issue, but it might be a while before you see any changes.

As for the Hyru's, we were having a moment. Actually, the new Hyru's are awesome, just not by the time they get in the game! But know that they are on my list as well.

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Good deal that's all a guy can ask! Thanks

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see, well I've made some improvements on the greater dragons already,

-Grimm
Some of us have noticed that. They look very nice :)
The only thing is, those folk who carefully chose a nice brown/grey dragon would kinda like it to stay brown/grey if/when they use the EC client.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, Bleak has really been on me about particle FX. I don't know if you've noticed but I made a significant improvement on the chain lightening effect. It doesn't look any different, but its not a resource hog anymore. But FX is *also* on my list and I get a near weekly reminder from Bleak that I need to get on that. :)

-Grimm
about the resources consuming the latest patch has generated more problems than we have before (not your fault)... beginning from the "unregisterwindowdata" that stop working properly and is causing more lag and fake data than the FX has ever done :D
But I'd rather avoid to complaining about all the problems since they have been reported by long time and the patience it's the only cure for now :p

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I see, well I've made some improvements on the greater dragons already, but I don't know if you folks can see that yet. I'll look into the orange issue, but it might be a while before you see any changes.

As for the Hyru's, we were having a moment. Actually, the new Hyru's are awesome, just not by the time they get in the game! But know that they are on my list as well.

-Grimm
Here is a example! These are my same dragon in both clients!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
NP Thanks for looking into it! I know many others will be grateful also!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about the resources consuming the latest patch has generated more problems than we have before (not your fault)... beginning from the "unregisterwindowdata" that stop working properly and is causing more lag and fake data than the FX has ever done :D
But I'd rather avoid to complaining about all the problems since they have been reported by long time and the patience it's the only cure for now :p
Tweet these problems to Jeff to make sure he knows about them, especially that they are getting worse...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ahh yes. I'll definately look into that. Thanks Storm- I've sent myself an email to work with you image attached as a reminder.

-Grimm
Speaking of getting things to look the same from client to client....

This is a code thing, not an art thing, but could you mention it to the programmers that it would be nice if the "Purple Llama" Energy Vortex Easter Egg actually occurred for both clients at the same time?

When you get a purple llama EV with the CC, the EC shows it as a normal EV, and when you get a purple llama EV with the EC, it looks like a normal EV to the CC users present.

Getting these to match up would be nice, so that your fellow hunters using the other client don't think you've gone 'round the twist, so to speak - even if it means synching them by forcing the two to match up under both triggers (thereby doubling the chance for the llama)

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tweet these problems to Jeff to make sure he knows about them, especially that they are getting worse...
twitter jeff is not a good way to report bugs... I mean if everyone goes to report bugs there that channel will be messed up...
I still on the idea that a bug forum will do its dirty job :p

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
twitter jeff is not a good way to report bugs... I mean if everyone goes to report bugs there that channel will be messed up...
I still on the idea that a bug forum will do its dirty job :p
I am on this pinco

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Say TheGrimmOmen what are the possibilities of one day perhaps getting different colored Unicorns??? I always wished they came in a variety of colors like Hiryu.... it only makes sense.... unless you have never read the adept series by Piers Anthony.... But I always thought they should come in a variety of colors. Same with Dragons but then I always thought there should be a greater variety of dragons... Like Green Forest Dragons, Brown mountain dragons, White Ice Dragons, and black night dragons that haunt dark places... Orange/Red fire dragons... I think you get the picture and all should spawn in lesser and greater varieties...

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We've added a new designer, increased our art outsourcing spend, and continue to expand our EM program. All needed to deliver on what we have planned this year. I don't really count. =P
Sorry if this has been asked already, but have expansions ceased for UO? Thanks in advance.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Say TheGrimmOmen what are the possibilities of one day perhaps getting different colored Unicorns??? I always wished they came in a variety of colors like Hiryu.... it only makes sense.... unless you have never read the adept series by Piers Anthony.... But I always thought they should come in a variety of colors. Same with Dragons but then I always thought there should be a greater variety of dragons... Like Green Forest Dragons, Brown mountain dragons, White Ice Dragons, and black night dragons that haunt dark places... Orange/Red fire dragons... I think you get the picture and all should spawn in lesser and greater varieties...
I like all of those ideas. Getting different colored unicorns might be a tough sell, but I like the different species of dragons!

Thanks for the message!

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
sense starting UO long ago I often thought Dragons should be like dnd reds,blues.blacks green,etc with corresponding high resists and innate abilities like lightning,fire,frost etc...Just saying ;-)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could we maybe,possibly,in the future some time,get a hooded cloak that looks something like this?

In short, no. Not as one piece. The only way we could do something like this would be to have 2 pieces, the cape which we already have, and the hood, which would have to take up the helmet slot.

-Grimm

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In short, no. Not as one piece. The only way we could do something like this would be to have 2 pieces, the cape which we already have, and the hood, which would have to take up the helmet slot.

-Grimm
So the hood is simply a part of the robe slot?

Edit: Maybe offer a new item for tailors to make that could be crafted and imbued just like the cap or bandanna?

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the hood is simply a part of the robe slot?

Edit: Maybe offer a new item for tailors to make that could be crafted and imbued just like the cap or bandanna?
No, a robe as you have there would take up the head and cape slot, and would require you to equip / Hue each piece separately.

-Grimm

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TheGrimmOmen

TY for taking the time to talk with the UO players. It is starting to look like you are the only Dev that works for UO or that the other Devs really dont give a crap about the people that play UO. There are threads out there about Testing changes and not one Dev can bother to say anything. Please let them know that without us they would not have a job and it would be nice to hear some of their ideas as to why these changes are/are not being made when players spend long hours testing things for them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TheGrimmOmen

TY for taking the time to talk with the UO players. It is starting to look like you are the only Dev that works for UO or that the other Devs really dont give a crap about the people that play UO. There are threads out there about Testing changes and not one Dev can bother to say anything. Please let them know that without us they would not have a job and it would be nice to hear some of their ideas as to why these changes are/are not being made when players spend long hours testing things for them.
This is not fair! Mesanna is constantly in touch with players, both in game and out. Bleak has been on the forums daily via tapatalk, Phoenix and Jeff (Gryphon) have checked in frequently too. That they didn't choose to comment does not mean they are not reading and taking note of what is said.

I watch multiple forums through this link Recent Activity | Stratics Forums You'll notice on the right hand side there's a section 'members online'? In that section, anyone you have chosen to 'follow' will show at the top of the list, with a thumbnail of their avatar I am following the dev team, therefore can see at a glance when we have a V.I.P. on the boards. Try it, you might be surprised.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleak has been on the forums daily via tapatalk, Phoenix and Jeff (Gryphon) have checked in frequently too. That they didn't choose to comment does not mean they are not reading and taking note of what is said.
Remember, perception is reality. "People don't see them posting, so they must not be reading..."

While we could stalk them via obscure forum pages, they could also take 30 seconds to make a "seen & heard" post so people know they aren't simply shouting at the sky. This has been a problem for Mythic since Draconi left.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not entirely - to post 'seen & heard' can be taken by some people to mean they will do what has been asked for - which isn't what it means at all.

And actually, have you ever stopped to think that maybe Draconi could be the cause of the communication break down? It's occurred to me several times that, while we loved the burning effigies of traitors and stuff, it was totally against EA's policy on naming banned players.

You might not choose to use the 'obscure' page that I do to monitor activity on the forums, but you could maybe see who's online from the main forum list? Stratics Forums

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually came back for fishing. Fishing was the one of the things i really enjoyed about this game. Oddly enough, i see no reward worth the effort of becoming a 120 fisherman. I am doing these quests trying to get the scroll and all i see to get is bait i cant use yet...Anyhow, i just enjoy being alone on my boat pulling up stuff.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually came back for fishing. Fishing was the one of the things i really enjoyed about this game. Oddly enough, i see no reward worth the effort of becoming a 120 fisherman. I am doing these quests trying to get the scroll and all i see to get is bait i cant use yet...Anyhow, i just enjoy being alone on my boat pulling up stuff.
I will buy all of your bait! I had no idea how much I would want that bait once I reached 120 and the new goal became "GET ALL THE FISH!" :D

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not entirely - to post 'seen & heard' can be taken by some people to mean they will do what has been asked for - which isn't what it means at all.
Riiiight... If they are afraid of that, well, then they're in the wrong line of work. Simply posting something to the effect of "Thanks for letting us know!" or even "We'll look into it." isn't going to cause the sky to fall. Avoiding communication because someone could take it wildly out of context as a promise is hyperbolic paranoia.

And actually, have you ever stopped to think that maybe Draconi could be the cause of the communication break down? It's occurred to me several times that, while we loved the burning effigies of traitors and stuff, it was totally against EA's policy on naming banned players.
Please. The burning effigies happened in February of 2008, over 17 months before Draconi's departure. He still communicated over that time span. Furthermore, do you really believe that he was solely responsible for that 'event?' The likelihood that Cal didn't know and/or sign off on the actions taken is just plain silly. Since none of the traitor's names (account or real) were actually posted by Mythic staff, they technically didn't break their policy. You must also remember that they removed billions in duped gold and items that day...

You might not choose to use the 'obscure' page that I do to monitor activity on the forums, but you could maybe see who's online from the main forum list? Stratics Forums
Yes, pages showing names is nice and all, but that doesn't mean they read every thread every day. This is why communication is key, and a simple "Thanks for telling us!" could go a LONG way.