• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Het Devs-How Much More Blatant Do You Want Scripters To Get?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
C

Connor_Graham

I see this same character in exactly the same place every single day in the Luna Smith. There are actually 4 characters standing on the same tile all with the same name. Every day at server up, they log in one by one, collect a Bod, fill the Bod, then turn it in and log out. After the appropriate wait time, a few hours later, they're again seen logging back in and repeating the cycle.

How blatant do you guys want scripters to be before something is done about it? They're doing this in Luna, which on Pacific is the busiest bank. If our toons could thumb their noses I'm sure these would be doing so every single time they log on.

I normally don't bother myself with scripters, but I work very hard with my Smith to achieve what I do with him, and use the Luna Smith for all of my Smithing business so I can check out what's going on and see who's selling what and all. It just really bothers me that this person has been doing this for at least a couple of years now and nothing has ever been done about it, while I'm trying to compete in the same market as he is selling my Smithing wares. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this is one of the accounts that the recent duped Val hammer Bods came from originally.

So how about it Dev's? When is enough going to be enough?

NotACpa

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
" Warhammer General News - Sep 27, 2008 12:25 PM PDT | Posted by LuNiX

Mythic is asking the forces of Order and Destruction to unite against a common enemy: gold farmers. Thanks to a combined effort of Mythic and WAR players, over 4,000 "enemies of the realms" have been banned."

Guess all the GM's are busy patrolling Warhammer.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
while admiring the immediate efforts to discourage this behavior in Warhammer, it just kinda makes ya wonder where the love for UO has gone

on the other hand, repeated postings here do point out many of them, and hopefully these same people are paging on them ingame..... and we all know that EA/Mythic will not come back to each person saying "hey, thanks, we got rid of that guy", so we truly have no way of knowing how many, until they tell us, like they did the Warhammer players, that they have been actively responding to our concerns

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does the character have to log out? once you get a BOD, you can get another immediatley

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
" Warhammer General News - Sep 27, 2008 12:25 PM PDT | Posted by LuNiX

Mythic is asking the forces of Order and Destruction to unite against a common enemy: gold farmers. Thanks to a combined effort of Mythic and WAR players, over 4,000 "enemies of the realms" have been banned."

Guess all the GM's are busy patrolling Warhammer.
So we just have players helping with no Mythic I guess..

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does the character have to log out? once you get a BOD, you can get another immediatley
Chances are this is someone with a huge collection that has no need to get more bod's.

One time I dropped a bagball one day full of junk rewards at the smithy. Oddly enough I didn't see a particular scripter for a while.:D

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's really sad seeing our game, that we've loved for so long, being tossed to the roadside by the people in charge.

If someone actually cared about UO they could remove 99% of the cheating within a month.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, because scripters historically have been gotten rid of by the developers over the years...la

Cynic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look! Another thread dedicated to scripters/cheaters.

Who wants to bet that not 1 dev replies to this thread?

That's cause they are all :sleep2: when it comes to **** like this. They would rather the problem grow.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, because scripters historically have been gotten rid of by the developers over the years

Not from UO you're right, but several other games are able to constantly remove cheaters.......and it doesn't take them a year to do it.

btw....Are you a Mod or a Troll?

S

Salty Pete

What you are calling a "scripter" an EA/Mythic employee is calling a "preferred customer".

D

D'Amavir

Yeah!? When are script-encouraging systems like Bods, Heartwood quests and Community Collections going to be removed from the game, huh?
Exactly. Get rid of the things that encourage scripting and you cut down on a lot of the scripting. Add new things that encourage scripting and you increase the amount of scripting.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering when you were going to show up and start blaming the problem on the game instead of blaming the people who can't play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Your entire logic is so out of whack it borders on comical.

"Those college papers are too hard to write, but I still want to graduate. Why bother doing the work, just cheat instead. I mean it's really their fault for making those tests so hard"

D

D'Amavir

I was wondering when you were going to show up and start blaming the problem on the game instead of blaming the people who can't play by the same rules as the rest of us.
Yep. Anytime someone implies that the game isnt part of the reason that people script, I will correct that mistake.

C

Connor_Graham

It depends on the Bod. I'm guessing from what I've observed that they're filling any iron Bods and turning them in, and holding the colored ones when they get them.

C

Connor_Graham

Yeah!? When are script-encouraging systems like Bods, Heartwood quests and Community Collections going to be removed from the game, huh?
Strange. I've managed to work every single one of these systems, and very successfully I might add, without having to script once. Not that the systems couldn't use some adjustments, but don't blame the system for people's decisions to cheat. That's all on the player. It can most certainly be done without cheating.

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, because scripters historically have been gotten rid of by the developers over the years...la
Take a walk around Luna on the production shards. Note the burning ruins of what used to be vendor houses that belonged to scripters.

Want to troll a bit more?

D

D'Amavir

Take a walk around Luna on the production shards. Note the burning ruins of what used to be vendor houses that belonged to scripters.

I believe most of those houses belonged to dupers that were selling duped goods on their vendors. At least, that's the impression I got when they discussed the fires.

C

Connor_Graham

I believe most of those houses belonged to dupers that were selling duped goods on their vendors. At least, that's the impression I got when they discussed the fires.
Those houses were the houses of ingot scripters. At least a good portion of them were.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Funny how you define a troll as anyone that disagrees with your opinion...la

R

RavenWinterHawk

Why even do bods? There are several verite hammers and valorite hammers available in luna 20 million and under.

They are all legit. Right?

Argh.

Nothing can be done. No one wants punk buster. No one wants limits. They just want the cheats gone. Which I agree with.

But to do that, we will all have to give up something.

D

D'Amavir

No way could be wrong but it had to do with dupers or people caught exploiting a bug.
I am pretty sure too. I remember a lot of discussion during the time they started going down and it was pretty much said that they were dupers and such. People were posting for along time how the vendors at those houses were selling things that were obviously duped (like dozens of val runics and such) and that that was the cause. Not saying that none of them were for some other reason, but I am fairly sure that most were vendor dupes.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not like scripting or scripters.

But...The other day, someone I had just killed said something like "woah, kid, u speed hak. paged."

It doesn't mean I was really speed-hacking (I wasn't). Or a kid (I'm not).

I have rarely been given a good answer to the critical question of how one can discern between a scripter and a particularly dedicated player or group of players working the same account.

And I think that's what the issue is with stopping scripters.

I'm not saying it's impossible to tell, just difficult, and sometimes I'd be hard-pressed to tell. Let alone GMs who typically don't know the game that well. I've seen screencaps of non-scripting friends gold-farming, and I've seen screencaps of alleged scripters gold-farming, and they are often about identical.

That's one of the reasons why Punkbuster would have been a good solution, because it (presumably) could have located the actual utility that scripters use rather than simply base actions upon a behavior pattern.

-Galen's player

C

CatLord

please refer to similar posts...

this one will end when folk start arguing and lock it down...

the same old people... la la la...

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those houses were the houses of ingot scripters. At least a good portion of them were.
as connor said, i thought the burning houses were the result of ea booting a lot of the gold and ingot SCRIPTERS about 4 months ago. whereas the DUPERS were booted a month or so ago during the large banning of accounts? doesn't really matter. result was the same :D

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Connor is 100% correct about the burning house spots. They were EXACT duplicate set-ups of several vendors at each house on almost every shard. They stocked every colored BOD, Every colored ingot, every colored wood, every colored leather, gems and every resource available through mining/luberjacking.

This was the spot before it was burning on Sonoma:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Flame me if you want, but I believe 50% of the UO community are Scripters. Thats why they don`t get banned. Don`t get me wrong GM do pop in & check. I`ve had GM called on me when my tamer was taming ridgebacks. So few GM`s, So many Shards, & so many players.

In the end if they banned all the scripters, there would be no more UO. For the simple fact that the subscription rates would plumate to much. Kinda like the US Economy.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well now, ok, so the dev's build the game. The GM's then, act as the police? Maybe you could start a new thread to reargue that and punkbuster......

The fact is, Mythic is pretty much spitting in our faces. The only reasons I can imagine that they arn't making the same effort with UO that they are with warhammer would be: The thoroughly screwed up (new and old) programming it is so fouled up it makes it very difficult to deal with cheaters, scripters, dupers, etc; or the fact that we share our GM's, staffing, etc., with at least two other games, and the other games get the attention.

I suppose if we get the 500K plus subscribers which rumor says Warhammer has, we might get some attention........

I doubt we will hear any response from EA/Mythic on this; there isn't much they can say except "live with it."

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well now, ok, so the dev's build the game. The GM's then, act as the police? Maybe you could start a new thread to reargue that and punkbuster......
the scripters are a part of the game. there's nothing anyone has ever been able to do about that with any success. game is 11 years old, can't really see any vast improvements happening in that department. therefore, i don't let them affect my gameplay. i play the game, putter around my house, grow some plants, kill some dragons, hang with friends. i pretty much ignore the scripters.

i'm NOT saying anything along the lines of "if you can't beat em, join em". i want to make that very clear. all i'm saying is no amount of anger or frustration or yelling is going to make much of an impact on the scripters existing as part of UO, so i don't let it bother me. if i did, i would go play a different game. i do, however, do a happy dance when draconi lights scripters on fire & when ea bans dupers.

C

Connor_Graham

i took this to mean that rico was just reminding us that it's not the devs who actually get rid of scripters... devs develop the game not police it. la?
In UO's case, they do both. Dev's wear more than one hat in this game. Draconi was the one that did all of the house burning before, remember?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
House burning was a small period of Uo's history. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath thinking it could happen again...la

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's really sad seeing our game, that we've loved for so long, being tossed to the roadside by the people in charge.

If someone actually cared about UO they could remove 99% of the cheating within a month.
The last sentence... Pure truth.

M

MYUO

Simple solution to solve bod scription:
Make it that you don't get another bod by handing in cloth and iron small bods.

C

Connor_Graham

That would kill the honest crafter and make iron Bods completely useless.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Strange. I've managed to work every single one of these systems, and very successfully I might add, without having to script once. Not that the systems couldn't use some adjustments, but don't blame the system for people's decisions to cheat. That's all on the player. It can most certainly be done without cheating.
QFT!!

People who cheat are going to find every excuse they can find to cheat. I've been doing BOD runs for 4 years now, and it is easily done without cheating. I keep hearing how it can't be done without cheating, but those lazy people saying that are probably just trying to legitimize their use of scripts.

M

MYUO

That would kill the honest crafter and make iron Bods completely useless.
How could it kill honest crafter when they can still hand in iron and cloth lbods and get another bod draw? Scripters may be able to do lbods too but it will be a major pain for them.

Dull copper and shadow ingots and sbods are abundant enough for honest crafters but not for scripters who turn in thousands (if not tens of thousands) of bods a day.

C

Connor_Graham

It would increase the cost to get a Bod with iron bods by at least 5x, and in a lot of cases a lot more. That's a massive increase in cost for the honest crafter, and if they don't buy their ingots, then they'll be spending all of their time mining instead of filling Bods.

L

love2winalot

Hail: There have been what, about 100 threads on scripting, hacking, cheating, exploiting, ect? And NO ONE from EA ever responds to any of these types of post. So, What to do?

Make a, Free Trial Account. Use it to Lure on them, Rob them, Kill them, Block off their recall spots, Tame and release an agressive creature by them, and so on...........You only risk losing a free trial act......

P

pavel.vesely

Figth one illegal action with other illegal action, love2winalot? That like starting drinking to help you to stop smoking, or in other words completely stupid.

D

D'Amavir

Hail: There have been what, about 100 threads on scripting, hacking, cheating, exploiting, ect? And NO ONE from EA ever responds to any of these types of post. So, What to do?

Make a, Free Trial Account. Use it to Lure on them, Rob them, Kill them, Block off their recall spots, Tame and release an agressive creature by them, and so on...........You only risk losing a free trial act......
All the smart dupers and scripters use throw away accounts anyway. So, no real loss there. It takes little to no time to train up resource and gold farming characters anyway. So they would be back up in a second with no more effort than you would put in trying to get rid of them. And dupers can dupe on a trial account just as easily as on a real account.

That's the part that the players, or posters on this board at least, don't understand and probably never will. All the GM pages in the world aren't going to ever fix the problem. All the mass bannings in the world aren't going to ever fix the problem. The only, that's only, thing that will fix the problem is fixing the problem. Getting rid of systems that encourage scripting. Building an item database that cuts down or eliminates duping, or at the very least tracks anything duped before it can get out and 'damage' the economy. But, players will spend all their time trying to police the game while the developers do nothing to fix the problems. And scripters will spend their time doing what they do. And dupers will spend their time doing what they do.

To quote Dr Horrible, "Its a symptom. You are treating a symptom."

D

D'Amavir

as connor said, i thought the burning houses were the result of ea booting a lot of the gold and ingot SCRIPTERS about 4 months ago. whereas the DUPERS were booted a month or so ago during the large banning of accounts? doesn't really matter. result was the same :D
Any resource scripter that sells their scripted resources in game for in game gold deserves to be banned. They can make so much more money selling them for real money without risking any of their housing spots or accounts.