• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will the Dev Team Ever do anything about Felucca?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly what can they do? Lets look at what they've tried.

Double Resources - Didn't work because PK's can just take them and most mules have little to no defensive skills.

Power Scrolls - Didn't work because Raid Guilds can just take them.

Higher Fame - Didn't work because you can get it slower without the risk.

Factions - Ya isn't that system pretty much abandoned by players?

Fact is the Risk vs Reward aspect isn't really there.... a player can farm gold to buy Power Scrolls with little risk. A player can harvest resources with little risk, Players can gain Fame with little risk.

Truth is I can get the same reward with less risk it just takes longer.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Even the doubel resources if you know where to go and in some cases what to use have no real risk of PvP involved (at least in terms of mining and lumberjacking, leather is a bit different).

I've spent a lot of time up until the Vanguards mining in Fel, but really not in any way that helps the "community" of the facet... but then, mining in Fel by nature doesn't really "improve the community" in most cases. People either know how to do it, or they get PKed in the process. The "community" of it is, shall we say, sparse.

However, I do hope they get Factions revamped into something worthwhile and can revamp Fel into having PVP rewards for PvP activity and get rid of the "carrot on a stick" enticements they've been using to try to lure non-PvP players over to Fel.

Let Fel be for PvP, but make it so that people WANT to be involved. Stop trying to drag unwilling people into the situation.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe they should 1/2 the resources in Trammel.

or stop insulting us with crap like beneficial acts and instance corpses.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They're effectively halved in comparison to Fel already.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They're effectively halved in comparison to Fel already.
what i'm saying is they should have halved them in the first place.

so at this point, halve both.

heck half every pile of gold and GP check in the whole game.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
However, I do hope they get Factions revamped into something worthwhile and can revamp Fel into having PVP rewards for PvP activity and get rid of the "carrot on a stick" enticements they've been using to try to lure non-PvP players over to Fel.

Let Fel be for PvP, but make it so that people WANT to be involved. Stop trying to drag unwilling people into the situation.
You know I think that's what they intended originally, but obviously the majority of players didn't like that idea.........

With all the changes and loss of many of the Pre-UO:R vets it's hard for many to really know what it was like before Trammel. Now I'll admit I'm not a PvPer at heart never will be....I like to do my thing and be pretty much left alone, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried it both before AoS and after. Before AoS was sooo much better as it required real skill and not calculus to determine the best combination of Weapon, Armor, Stats, Skills ect. I'd prefer it if All Items, Weapons, ect with the exception of Potions lost their benefits in Fel. Armor went back to it's Base Resists and LRC flew out the window and special strikes were abolished in PvP enviroments, this would level the playing field a lot!

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do the majority of my hunting and resource gathering in Felucca. As long as you stay away from Yew Gate and the Champion Spawns, your odds of even seeing anyone, much less getting PKed, are quite low.

I like the idea of halving gold drops in Trammel. It was essentially like that before due to Felucca's double spawn rate, but that disappeared when the dev team suddenly became convinced that the feature was actually a bug. Now the spawn rate in Felucca is the slowest of all facets, so you can actually make money faster in a Trammel ruleset and then use it to buy whatever you like that comes out of Felucca, thus obviating the need to ever go there yourself.

Standardizing the spawn rate across all facets and then halving the gold drops in Trammel rulesets would probably go a long way toward both driving some more people to Felucca and decreasing the rate that gold enters the economy from farming.

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They WOULD IF we actually had a competent dev team.

There are MANY MANY ways to fix the problem of fel, AND ultima at the same time. Firstly i'd have to say to the devs:

- ignore UOHall at all costs, 99% of the forum bashers have no clue about the game, nor idea's worth listening too.

I mean come on, these ranters believe that 'scripting' skills that are broken in the first place is "cheating". Who in their right mind would actually attend training skills that take 50+ hours to gm, besides total addicts with no lives? I, like most other players, don't play UO to gain skills, but rather have fun. Hell i've just SCRIPTED taming from 95 to 105, it took like 60+ hours of afk macroing, and your telling me 'im cheating' by doing this? seriously you'd have to be insane to train this skill manually.

They also think 'dupers' and 'scripters' are BAD for the economy. Please.... explain how they are, because i see cheap resources and runic hammers/armour for prices that are actually affordable. What kind of person would actually 'mine' ingots for hours a day and consider that 'fun'. If you actually get entertained mining, maybe i should send u a brown card board box and u can play with that, atleast there'd be no subscription fee. REAL players don't enjoy tedious tasks, i think working on an assembly line would be more enjoyable than some of the tasks you trams claim to do, then again a lot of you prob work on these lines.... Furthermore, some of these trammies who complain about dupers/scripters etc, are the ones ebaying their gold!!! - hypocritical or what! Dupers on well-run free shards don't exist, u know why? THEY GET BANNED INSTANTLY. If the gms are able to track items so readily, why not just ban them asap, if they're such a problem....

I have no issues with dupers or scripters, i love the convenience of stocked vendors that actually have decent items - no trams, your vendors containing jewelry with 2 hci and 10 dmg inc does not constitue 'stocked', merely a nuisance for wasting my god damn time.

UOhallers also think they 'know' how to fix pvp, when first of all they generally don't pvp. Secondly if they 'think' they do it is usually with 0 success or from a house or guard zone. They believe 'warriors' actually take some sort of skill to play, and that because a mage (skilled one) owned them, and their newb guild that mages must be over-powered. BUT then get some of these newbs on a mage, and they can't even heal themselves. Without the ability to run in a straight-line with bandaids they're useless. And what's more ridiculous, is that when they die in 'pvp', and the 'evil red' (i still don't get how trams think reds must be evil) calls them a name, they go and whinge and storm off. Now if being called a name over the internet 'upsets' you, seriously get off your computer for once and toughen up, because all those years in mother's basement must have really screwed up your social well-being.

Now enough of that, i could write a thesis on the common trammel degenerate. I will now go onto some simple fixes that would help uo grab some more subscriptions and maintain a happier player base.

- Add new artifacts on a regular basis. Many players simply play to collect items as they're too coward/boring to pvp, so by adding lots of new artifacts on a regular basis to current bosses, you give these 'trams' purpose, and pvpers will also benefit as we could script/rip off trams to obtain the pvp worthy items too. For example, stuff like deamon bone back in the day was a huge success, so why not follow in it's footstep and add deco/pvp set pieces on other monsters, but unlike the crappy virtue ar we have now, make the items worthwhile..... Also add new doom arties on a regular basis. I mean how hard is it to code 10 new items in doom every 3 months? They could also make a tokuno hand in for doom arties, whereby you hand in 10 major arties for a more 'super' artifact etc.

- Change intensity on monster loot. Currently killing monsters for items is beyond a joke, only peerless', DF, champ bosses and strongboxes give anything worth looting. How about make minimum intensities such as on strongboxes of different levels on different monsters? I.e an ancient wyrm could have a minimum intensity of say 45-50% and a paragon like 10 to 15% more? THIS would make dungeons ALIVE again in both fel and tram, as people would actually want to kill monsters again. Furthermore combine minimum intensities WITH new arties/collectibles as mentioned above, and you have a winning formula!

- Completely change BODs/Runic gathering. Ok seriously, can anyone tell me how crafting 10x weapons, clicking a bod, then filling 10x, and then repeating this step 1000x is fun? Come on, bods/runic gathering is designed for scripting, no sane person would think that filling thousands of bods or making thousands of bows is entertaining or rewarding. So how about they completely change it, to say... questing with monsters, Like for example once a week/few days u can obtain a quest to say kill all champion bosses (i.e get looting rights), by completing this task you get a random Runic; Barbed Runic Sewing kit, Heartwood Saw/fletch kit, or a val runic or verite. Then you could have lesser quests that say give a chance of a Barbed Runic Kit, Horned Kit, Oak/yew kits etc. By having timers on the high end quests, it would control the influx of these runics so it doesn't get completely out of hand AND gives the ability for any type of player (casual or power) to obtain such stuff.

- New PREVIOUS ERA shards. Currently we have too many UNDERPOPULATED shards, which is an issue, but the problem with closing them down is it means you would lose a lot players because lag on other shards is too great. Now this lag is only because AoS requires much more bandwidth than the previous forms of UO - i.e look at UOG (a free shard) i ping 250/300 there, but almost run as if im 80 ping because it is pre AoS. Now look at the player base on that shard... over 1k users online on average. Now if EA opened up shards based on previous years - Hally wack days, Stun/precast days, and powerscroll pre AoS, they could grab a massive amount of subscriptions, both new and current - as current players would need new accs to place houses etc.

Anyways theres my rant, hope it helps.

M

monnie101

^^^wowa. lol

Maybe if Felucca wasn't infested with a bunch of jerk griefers and cheaters some of which may be sociopathic, then maybe it would be a more fun place and we would actually get more stuff.

I now think they should just put all the powerscrolls in trammel. Might aswell since the only way to get some of those 120's is to be in an elite guild who think they are Gods gift and that their poopoo doesn't stink. :talktothehand:

P

Pax

what i'm saying is they should have halved them in the first place.

so at this point, halve both.

heck half every pile of gold and GP check in the whole game.
You need to lay off the beer... or the keyboard... or both.

Be well - Pax

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^^wowa. lol

Maybe if Felucca wasn't infested with a bunch of jerk griefers and cheaters some of which may be sociopathic, then maybe it would be a more fun place and we would actually get more stuff.

I now think they should just put all the powerscrolls in trammel. Might aswell since the only way to get some of those 120's is to be in an elite guild who think they are Gods gift and that their poopoo doesn't stink. :talktothehand:

why are the felucca guys jerks? why are they all cheaters? Most of them aren't actually. U guys just think they 'must' cheat because they own u. Fel is a fun place, it's just the current playerbase are total care bears who think death on uo is worse than cancer irl.

Putting powerscrolls in trammel would further worsen UO's problem. Don't u trams understand that your purpose for playing uo is hoarding items? If they put them in tram, you'd all get the 120 ps's instantly and be bored.....

You don't need to be in an elite guild at all to get scrolls, just have a clue on how to spawn first - i.e i 2 man rat spawns in under 15 minutes (champ and all) - use a soul seeker and vermin talisman and make sure you're not in war mode, by running and pressing 'alt' & 'p' at the same time, you rubber band, causing EVERY unflagged monster to attack u. Then use a protector with necro to corpse/heal while a dexer hits coon.

P

Pax

^^^wowa. lol

Monnie, I know you won't believe me but, at least on Legends, most of the Reds are pretty good guys who just like to PvP... and this is from someone who has never been able to PvP, not *ever*, for the entire time I've been playing, which is more on than off from the time right after UO came out of Beta.

Yes, they'll sometimes attack us if we go to Fel (heck, some will *always* attack us LOL), but we need to remember that Fel is a PvP shard and players who go there must be ready to PvP, or not go there. It's not just Fel that is set up on a higher-risk-higher-reward basis, all of UO is set up that way.

Just think of Fel as the biggest dungeon on them all, with the greatest rewards of them all... if you can make it through. :D

Be well - Pax

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that people should be drawn to Fel for its own reasons, for viable and workable PvP, not because of carrot like incentive of resources, gold or powerscrolls.

That they resort to such methods only shows that they don't know how to bring people to Fel without using carrot methods.

The reason that people equate cheating with Fel is that a lot of cheating is perceived to be as a result of people trying to be better at PvP. I recall back to the original speed hack days - the speed hacks were being used by PvPers and PKers, to get an advantage on other people.

Finally, no one is going to take the comments of someone who seems not to think that duping is a rotten thing to do seriously.

T

trammelite

i guess it is nothing the devs can do - it seems to me that only the player base could do something.

i mean, i am a 4+ years player, young so to speak, and i did not experience the "good 'ol days of UO", but all i hear is about people standing together and defending their lifes and goods against attackers.
now, as long as this playstyle is not lived in fel again, raiding PK's will always prevent people from "living" in fel instead of recalling in, grabbing the valuables and recalling out.
in the very beginning of my life in UO, i desperately hated fel for being killed for no reason on a regular basis by people i never met before and never did any harm to. *points to nickname*
now my opinion has changed: like tram is the beginners world, fel is the advanced path. you can not be lured to this path by any tempting rewards. going to fel for achieving goods only will never give you a game experience you want to have over and over again. and that is needed to live in fel. love the challenge, not the gold, resources or what ever.
and for sure it is much more difficult for the after-work solo player to get a positive game experience when going to fel, because he will have a hard time fighting a pk alone. for living in fel, you need *double underlined* friends and teamwork. but that does not come easy and in our fast turning gimme-gimme world, where only few people are willing to invest time and resource in this.
these are the current citizens of fel, probably a species threatened by extinction ....

frankly, my view of fel was changed by a vet fel player, who took me by the hand and helped me with my first steps, took me off the ground again, wiped the dirt of my face and helped me with the next attempt over and over. *bows*
that is, how fel can be "fixed", not by any code change in the software.

P

Pax

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that people should be drawn to Fel for its own reasons, for viable and workable PvP, not because of carrot like incentive of resources, gold or powerscrolls.

That they resort to such methods only shows that they don't know how to bring people to Fel without using carrot methods.
Have you ever thought that the perks found of Fel might have been put there for those who are PvPers at heart, as rewards for *them*? Reds are trapped in Fel, but their choice to be dedicated PvPers has its rewards... and that is actually something everyone who plays UO should know.

The reason that people equate cheating with Fel is that a lot of cheating is perceived to be as a result of people trying to be better at PvP. I recall back to the original speed hack days - the speed hacks were being used by PvPers and PKers, to get an advantage on other people.
Unfortunately cheating is part of all MMORPGs, if what I read is true, UO doesn't even have the distinction of being the first when it comes to that. With all this duping misery going on, it's obvious cheating can't very well be limited to Fel either, it's a game-wide disease.

Finally, no one is going to take the comments of someone who seems not to think that duping is a rotten thing to do seriously.
???

Do you mean no one will listen to you because you think duping is okay? Why would you think that?

Be well - Pax

S

Salty Pete

People don't like going to Felucca because of the PvPers. We all know this. To get "trammies" to visit you have to make it as painless as possible while also keeping the player killing and stealing alive.

A couple of ideas;

Get factions out of Felucca.
Insure items for free for players in Felucca dungeons.
Remove fame loss for player vs player deaths in Felucca.
Reinstate stat loss for murderers and kick them out of guard zones again.
Remove the priests of Mondain.
Bring back the bounty system.
Add the Ilshenar style paragons with an increased artifact drop rate in Felucca.

P

Pax

i guess it is nothing the devs can do - it seems to me that only the player base could do something.

i mean, i am a 4+ years player, young so to speak, and i did not experience the "good 'ol days of UO", but all i hear is about people standing together and defending their lifes and goods against attackers.
now, as long as this playstyle is not lived in fel again, raiding PK's will always prevent people from "living" in fel instead of recalling in, grabbing the valuables and recalling out.
in the very beginning of my life in UO, i desperately hated fel for being killed for no reason on a regular basis by people i never met before and never did any harm to. *points to nickname*
now my opinion has changed: like tram is the beginners world, fel is the advanced path. you can not be lured to this path by any tempting rewards. going to fel for achieving goods only will never give you a game experience you want to have over and over again. and that is needed to live in fel. love the challenge, not the gold, resources or what ever.
and for sure it is much more difficult for the after-work solo player to get a positive game experience when going to fel, because he will have a hard time fighting a pk alone. for living in fel, you need *double underlined* friends and teamwork. but that does not come easy and in our fast turning gimme-gimme world, where only few people are willing to invest time and resource in this.
these are the current citizens of fel, probably a species threatened by extinction ....

frankly, my view of fel was changed by a vet fel player, who took me by the hand and helped me with my first steps, took me off the ground again, wiped the dirt of my face and helped me with the next attempt over and over. *bows*
that is, how fel can be "fixed", not by any code change in the software.
You know, my attitude toward Reds was changed almost the same way! I was buying regs at some faction vendors in Fel when I played Europa and met a guy who happened to be Perma Red. He turned out to be one of the nicest, friendliest, most generous people I've ever met on UO. When he left UO, he gave me all his power scrolls. I held them separate for years, even after I moved to Legends, hoping he would come back and I could give them back to him.

Now, every time I see a Red, I think of him, and the great guy that was wearing that Red name. It's not a big leap to give the new Red a chance, and I'm usually not disappointed. Since then somehow, the best friends I've made on UO have almost all been Reds. Guess that's because one thing PvPers are very into is "community", and a knack for forging true friendships seems to go along with that.

But I'm still hopeless at PvP. LOL

Be well - Pax

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People don't like going to Felucca because of the PvPers. We all know this. To get "trammies" to visit you have to make it as painless as possible while also keeping the player killing and stealing alive.

A couple of ideas;

Add the Ilshenar style paragons with an increased artifact drop rate in Felucca.
Read quote below

- ignore UOHall at all costs, 99% of the forum bashers have no clue about the game, nor idea's worth listening too.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

A couple of ideas;

Why sould i be punished for wanting to PVP? Its simple if you dont like pvp just stay out of fell...You have more than enough space to play in without comming to fell. Me on the other hand, I cant get out of my small game world coz im perma red But i dont complain that i cant kill the dreadhorn do i, Or i cant farm the swoop for endless gold, Or sit at Luna/Britbank showing off my sunday best

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ever thought that the perks found of Fel might have been put there for those who are PvPers at heart, as rewards for *them*? Reds are trapped in Fel, but their choice to be dedicated PvPers has its rewards... and that is actually something everyone who plays UO should know.
Nope. The stated objective was to bring people to Felucca, not provide entertainment for Reds.

Unfortunately cheating is part of all MMORPGs, if what I read is true, UO doesn't even have the distinction of being the first when it comes to that. With all this duping misery going on, it's obvious cheating can't very well be limited to Fel either, it's a game-wide disease.
Doesn't make it right.

???

Do you mean no one will listen to you because you think duping is okay? Why would you think that?

Be well - Pax
Eh? I was clearly talking about "stupidtram" - are you living in a mirror world or somesuch? Do all the people have vandyke beards?

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, my attitude toward Reds was changed almost the same way! I was buying regs at some faction vendors in Fel when I played Europa and met a guy who happened to be Perma Red. He turned out to be one of the nicest, friendliest, most generous people I've ever met on UO. When he left UO, he gave me all his power scrolls. I held them separate for years, even after I moved to Legends, hoping he would come back and I could give them back to him.

Now, every time I see a Red, I think of him, and the great guy that was wearing that Red name. It's not a big leap to give the new Red a chance, and I'm usually not disappointed. Since then somehow, the best friends I've made on UO have almost all been Reds. Guess that's because one thing PvPers are very into is "community", and a knack for forging true friendships seems to go along with that.

But I'm still hopeless at PvP. LOL

Be well - Pax
You met one nice Red.

Let me tell you, as someone a month away from ten years, that the nice ones are few and far between. I include my brother in the "bad red" catagory, and he'd be the first to admit he belongs there.

E

Eslake

Do you really want the answer? Because most who play in Fel don't like it when someone points out the obvious solution. ;) Everyone knows exactly how to 'fix' Fel's lack of population.

The problem isn't anything that has been done or not done, nor who plays there...
The problem is that UO just doesn't draw people who want PvP. There are MMORPGs out there that are completely built around PvP, while UO has it as an afterthought. It was never a selling point for the game.
Playing UO to PvP and complaining about the PvP here is like going to a Pizza Hut and complaining about their ice cream - when there is a Baskin & Robbins next door.

The players made their choice of playstyle clear the day they opened tram.. well :p the 2nd time they opened it.
90% of the player base moved immediately. Claim it was housing if you want but that would only account for the first 2 days, not the 8 years since.

Most people playing UO just don't want to PvP, and nothing the Devs do is going to change that.

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you really want the answer? Because most who play in Fel don't like it when someone points out the obvious solution. ;) Everyone knows exactly how to 'fix' Fel's lack of population.

The problem isn't anything that has been done or not done, nor who plays there...
The problem is that UO just doesn't draw people who want PvP. There are MMORPGs out there that are completely built around PvP, while UO has it as an afterthought. It was never a selling point for the game.
Playing UO to PvP and complaining about the PvP here is like going to a Pizza Hut and complaining about their ice cream - when there is a Baskin & Robbins next door.

The players made their choice of playstyle clear the day they opened tram.. well :p the 2nd time they opened it.
90% of the player base moved immediately. Claim it was housing if you want but that would only account for the first 2 days, not the 8 years since.

Most people playing UO just don't want to PvP, and nothing the Devs do is going to change that.
The central problem with UO is that it was built, to begin with, as an openly social experiment and game. That is, people were let loose... they could kill if they wanted, and it was expected that the society would either allow or defend it.

The problem arose, though, that people didn't treat virtual crime the same way that real crime was treated. The game made it easy for people to steal and kill, and further the nature of a virtual environment made it easy for people to say "It's just a game".

That break the ideal of a social experiment.

In a way, UO was built as a PvP game - just to a very different level than the modern MMO is. That, though, is what other MMO's learnt from UO - that PvP needs to be set up in a particular way - often needs specific rewards - but that open ability to murder and attack will only see the society its in destruct.

Just like UO was destroying itself prior to the gradual implementation of the reputation system, Felucca and so on.

P

packrat

I stopped going to fel when almost everyone uses some type of script to chug potions, speed hack, pixel hack, field hack.... If you don't use one or all of the above, you do not have a chance to stay alive. If I have to resort to that tactic I rather just avoid it all together. A few days ago, some bright pvper had the brains to post it on stratics. When they start posting it for everyone to see then you know it has to be bad.
I know a lot of people who use to pvp that stay away from fel for that same reason. I was in Yew watching and guys got knocked off of their ethy and got back on their ethy while they were running. Never stopped and never missed a beat. The last I checked you had a timer before remounting if it is done legally... Until that type of thing gets cleaned up im afraid fel will just die slowly. I don't mind losing, but I would like to do it from an honest player if I am going to give him my insurance gold.

A

Atlantian

"quote from Stupidtram'
"why are the felucca guys jerks? why are they all cheaters? Most of them aren't actually. U guys just think they 'must' cheat because they own u. Fel is a fun place, it's just the current playerbase are total care bears who think death on uo is worse than cancer irl."

You ask some good questions. But there are a lot of new "breed" fels which I call felucups. Not all reds are bad and fel is a fun place as long as the felucups stay away. Felucups are nothing but a bunch of children that still live in their parents basement and quote stats and dictionary quotations because they don't know any real people other than the ones they harass online. True reds are good people and we are a dying breed.

N

nushpapa

Obviously you have no idea about pvp on this game or any other game. I have tried other games WOW AOC EQ etc... is it nothing like UO pvp. those games r... if u r a mage 10 spells.. hope they die.. if not ohh **** im dead.
Uo i have had battles that last 5 minutes +... its completely different.

H

Harb

Your post begs the question, what are you looking for exactly when you say “fix Fel?” If the motive is that you’d like a methodology requiring all players be forced to participate in nonconsensual PvP, forget it, this was the logic that nearly led to UO’s death in the pre-UOR days. If anything, the requirement to attain power scrolls only in Fel was based on flawed assessment of risk vs. reward relative to player behavior, and merely led to small groups of players establishing control over a vital commodity within the game. This one is about 5 years overdue; Ilshenaur champ spawns should be dropping them as well, albeit on a reduced basis. It became a proverbial “no-brainer” with the addition of paragons, but still has not been re-looked.

If your motive is renewed purpose for Fel, I couldn’t agree more, and would like to see a true purpose/ incentive for Felucca. What’s in place has proven repetitively to fall short of a viable purpose on the US shards (for the Japanese shards, Felucca serves a major role by providing for faction play). I’ve always loved Fel and honestly “red” behavior and the demographic behind the red characters has matured in large measure over the years, but much of this is likely due to “lack of targets/ victims.” So caution is advisable in any new plan/ incentive for Felucca, regression here will doom efforts if not well implemented. Further, and without knowledge of what is upcoming for Pub 55 relative to factions, any major changes to Fel must be viewed in light of faction success abroad – whatever happens can’t curb enthusiasm for faction play there.

My vote is that Fel serve as our in-game “history,” a place where what’s "gone" can continue to be enjoyed. For example, let the Ophidians continue their invasion of Papua, allow for Trinsic to constantly be under siege, or save Britain and/ or Magincia. With these types of historical replays, there can’t be a big pot of gold under the tree, or as with power scrolls, manipulation/ imbalance will result. The only drawbacks are time requirements for the dev folks, and the fact that many historical events played out in faction cities. I’d also like to see a major thief incentive, bring back all rares now unavailable with artifact tags so as not to devalue the original server birth items (remember, most if not all these items were acquired via cheats, if memory serves there was no intent for most of these to be anything other than fixed decorations). Some of these should be NPC based on some tough guys to require the snoop/ fight theme original to the thief class. Anyway, my 2 gps.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like a lot of those ideas Harb. Very well thought out.

The problem that you can't get past in design and that will always keep the area depopulated is know as the 80/20 rule. Without delving in the arguments of that rule/design concept (many people don't believe it or discount it), suffice it to say that if that rule is valid, Felucca populations will remain as a minor subset of the player base.

To my way of thinking, Felucca has pretty much proved the rule, since Trammel was created.

E

Eslake

Obviously you have no idea about pvp on this game or any other game. I have tried other games WOW AOC EQ etc... is it nothing like UO pvp. those games r... if u r a mage 10 spells.. hope they die.. if not ohh **** im dead.
Uo i have had battles that last 5 minutes +... its completely different.
I've PvP'd in UO since before there was a murder system, and while I played WoW I had the 4th highest ranked arena team on the AD.

But you are talking about games that are built for PvM.
I was talking about games built around PvP like Lineage.

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

If they did, would you show any appreciation?
LOL you hit that on the head!!..

(not about the OP but people in general)

Someone finds something to complain about, even if its pointless and doesnt hurt game play in anyway shape or form..

And stratics is a good example to that.... no one posts anything positive anymore. :violin:

P

Pax

Nope. The stated objective was to bring people to Felucca, not provide entertainment for Reds.
I see. And, at least as far as you're capable of extrapolating, it's impossible for there to be *more* than just the officially stated objective connected with any action.

Doesn't make it right.
Of course not! What I was trying to bring out is the fact that, until a method is discovered to keep coding tamper-free, all MMORPGs will have the problem of cheaters altering the code to their own ends, and that, when much of such cheating occurs, it can very well be game-wide, as it is in UO. In UO, cheating *is not* just a Fel problem, in other words.

???

Eh? I was clearly talking about "stupidtram" - are you living in a mirror world or somesuch? Do all the people have vandyke beards?
"clearly"? Perhaps somewhere in your own mind it was clear you meant stupidtram... but, thankfully, I can't read your mind.

"mirror world"? You seem unaware of what that phrase means... BIG surprise. The only clear thing about your previous last statement and this subsequent entire reply is your spitefulness. Go chew on someone else's leg.

H

Harb

.... no one posts anything positive anymore. :violin:
OK, I really enjoy UO, have for years, and sincerely appreciate all the work and effort that has gone into making the game.

While completely true, saying so honestly won't lead to anything with regard to our game's future. This thread and the original poster tend to "troll," and yes there is an overabundance of whining on the boards. But filtered among all that are some very good ideas, and opinions that should matter to all of us who do appreciate the game. :)

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Split shard for PvP and PvM. pancake, moan, complain, flame all the want. The only way to fix these problems are a split.

Players that play to PvP don't want to raise skills. They don't want to farm artis. They don't want to gather resources. Some may like the idea of taking from those that do but for the most part they would be happy to run around nekked with a spear and 20 aids.

On the other hand you have people who don't want to have to fight against people with better reflexes, connections and computers than they have. They aren't afraid of it, as some would love to sit behind their monitor and believe, they just don't enjoy that aspect of the game.

It's really 2 completely seperate mindsets and no carrots are convert anyone enmasse in order to create a perfect harmony. A split is the only way to give fel the attention and full power that it needs.

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

OK, I really enjoy UO, have for years, and sincerely appreciate all the work and effort that has gone into making the game.

While completely true, saying so honestly won't lead to anything with regard to our game's future. This thread and the original poster tend to "troll," and yes there is an overabundance of whining on the boards. But filtered among all that are some very good ideas, and opinions that should matter to all of us who do appreciate the game. :)
Agreed!
UO is my first game and prolly be my last... Been playing for about 6 years.

And even though it does have its annoyances I like the game and being in Canada on an Oceaniac server sucks for lag I wont move to another shard.

I've played wow off and on again for 3 years and I hate it sooo much, and played Conan to but its even worse then wow so I'll stick with old faithful

:thumbsup:

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remove the trammelized rules from fel, remove recalling and sacred journey from fel. Gates only. Remove newbified items, make everything that isnt blessed or insured stealable, including containers with blessed or insured contents.

Revive thieves and lower the boundaries to compete in pvp. SKills must be made easier to gain if new players are to pvp. who wants to pvp if you have to spend 28934757892345789 hours to get the skills and you get banned if you script them...

M

monnie101

Monnie, I know you won't believe me but, at least on Legends, most of the Reds are pretty good guys who just like to PvP... and this is from someone who has never been able to PvP, not *ever*, for the entire time I've been playing, which is more on than off from the time right after UO came out of Beta.

Yes, they'll sometimes attack us if we go to Fel (heck, some will *always* attack us LOL), but we need to remember that Fel is a PvP shard and players who go there must be ready to PvP, or not go there. It's not just Fel that is set up on a higher-risk-higher-reward basis, all of UO is set up that way.

Just think of Fel as the biggest dungeon on them all, with the greatest rewards of them all... if you can make it through. :D

Be well - Pax

Thanks for the reply Pax. Well maybe I will have to make a new character on Legends if I ever come back for a longer stay instead of the usual small visit to say hello to old friends. I used to love doing champs they were a lot of fun. I used to have fun with my thief. I was one of those theif players who would steal your stuff for fun and pranks but always give it back. It was funny sometimes people would run off shouting angery things at me while I tried to yell at them to stop so I can give them their stuff back. Then they'd say thanks and smile.

S

Simon Francis

They WOULD IF we actually had a competent dev team.

There are MANY MANY ways to fix the problem of fel, AND ultima at the same time. Firstly i'd have to say to the devs:

I mean come on, these ranters believe that 'scripting' skills that are broken in the first place is "cheating". Who in their right mind would actually attend training skills that take 50+ hours to gm, besides total addicts with no lives? I, like most other players, don't play UO to gain skills, but rather have fun. Hell i've just SCRIPTED taming from 95 to 105, it took like 60+ hours of afk macroing, and your telling me 'im cheating' by doing this? seriously you'd have to be insane to train this skill manually.

They also think 'dupers' and 'scripters' are BAD for the economy. Please.... explain how they are, because i see cheap resources and runic hammers/armour for prices that are actually affordable. What kind of person would actually 'mine' ingots for hours a day and consider that 'fun'. If you actually get entertained mining, maybe i should send u a brown card board box and u can play with that, atleast there'd be no subscription fee. REAL players don't enjoy tedious tasks, i think working on an assembly line would be more enjoyable than some of the tasks you trams claim to do, then again a lot of you prob work on these lines.... Furthermore, some of these trammies who complain about dupers/scripters etc, are the ones ebaying their gold!!! - hypocritical or what! Dupers on well-run free shards don't exist, u know why? THEY GET BANNED INSTANTLY. If the gms are able to track items so readily, why not just ban them asap, if they're such a problem....

I have no issues with dupers or scripters, i love the convenience of stocked vendors that actually have decent items - no trams, your vendors containing jewelry with 2 hci and 10 dmg inc does not constitue 'stocked', merely a nuisance for wasting my god damn time.

UOhallers also think they 'know' how to fix pvp, when first of all they generally don't pvp. Secondly if they 'think' they do it is usually with 0 success or from a house or guard zone. They believe 'warriors' actually take some sort of skill to play, and that because a mage (skilled one) owned them, and their newb guild that mages must be over-powered. BUT then get some of these newbs on a mage, and they can't even heal themselves. Without the ability to run in a straight-line with bandaids they're useless. And what's more ridiculous, is that when they die in 'pvp', and the 'evil red' (i still don't get how trams think reds must be evil) calls them a name, they go and whinge and storm off. Now if being called a name over the internet 'upsets' you, seriously get off your computer for once and toughen up, because all those years in mother's basement must have really screwed up your social well-being.

Now enough of that, i could write a thesis on the common trammel degenerate. I will now go onto some simple fixes that would help uo grab some more subscriptions and maintain a happier player base.

- Add new artifacts on a regular basis. Many players simply play to collect items as they're too coward/boring to pvp, so by adding lots of new artifacts on a regular basis to current bosses, you give these 'trams' purpose, and pvpers will also benefit as we could script/rip off trams to obtain the pvp worthy items too. For example, stuff like deamon bone back in the day was a huge success, so why not follow in it's footstep and add deco/pvp set pieces on other monsters, but unlike the crappy virtue ar we have now, make the items worthwhile..... Also add new doom arties on a regular basis. I mean how hard is it to code 10 new items in doom every 3 months? They could also make a tokuno hand in for doom arties, whereby you hand in 10 major arties for a more 'super' artifact etc.

- Change intensity on monster loot. Currently killing monsters for items is beyond a joke, only peerless', DF, champ bosses and strongboxes give anything worth looting. How about make minimum intensities such as on strongboxes of different levels on different monsters? I.e an ancient wyrm could have a minimum intensity of say 45-50% and a paragon like 10 to 15% more? THIS would make dungeons ALIVE again in both fel and tram, as people would actually want to kill monsters again. Furthermore combine minimum intensities WITH new arties/collectibles as mentioned above, and you have a winning formula!

- Completely change BODs/Runic gathering. Ok seriously, can anyone tell me how crafting 10x weapons, clicking a bod, then filling 10x, and then repeating this step 1000x is fun? Come on, bods/runic gathering is designed for scripting, no sane person would think that filling thousands of bods or making thousands of bows is entertaining or rewarding. So how about they completely change it, to say... questing with monsters, Like for example once a week/few days u can obtain a quest to say kill all champion bosses (i.e get looting rights), by completing this task you get a random Runic; Barbed Runic Sewing kit, Heartwood Saw/fletch kit, or a val runic or verite. Then you could have lesser quests that say give a chance of a Barbed Runic Kit, Horned Kit, Oak/yew kits etc. By having timers on the high end quests, it would control the influx of these runics so it doesn't get completely out of hand AND gives the ability for any type of player (casual or power) to obtain such stuff.

- New PREVIOUS ERA shards. Currently we have too many UNDERPOPULATED shards, which is an issue, but the problem with closing them down is it means you would lose a lot players because lag on other shards is too great. Now this lag is only because AoS requires much more bandwidth than the previous forms of UO - i.e look at UOG (a free shard) i ping 250/300 there, but almost run as if im 80 ping because it is pre AoS. Now look at the player base on that shard... over 1k users online on average. Now if EA opened up shards based on previous years - Hally wack days, Stun/precast days, and powerscroll pre AoS, they could grab a massive amount of subscriptions, both new and current - as current players would need new accs to place houses etc.

Anyways theres my rant, hope it helps.
Haha awesome and funny.

U

UltimaSword

Here is one big problem...

I know people who wanted to start pvping. Well when they go to the main pvp spot fel yew they get beaten pretty badly because they are new to pvp. Well that is not the problem. The problem is the majority of pvpers in fel will scream and yell and call names. "noob" "you suck" "I owned you trash" and my favorite "go back to Trammel". Funny... people complain fel is dead and what not yet the people in fel tell new comers to go back to trammel.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a little heads up to the trammel folk, yew gate is the sewer of felucca. The folks spending the majority of their time there are derided amongst the harder core folks as yewbies.

U

UltimaSword

a little heads up to the trammel folk, yew gate is the sewer of felucca. The folks spending the majority of their time there are derided amongst the harder core folks as yewbies.

This is true. Fel Yew is not quality pvp at all. It is gate hiding, house hiding, and ganking.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people that talk smack have anger problems IRL. it is not everyone.

when i kill someone, usually i will just say nothing, loot and walk away. at yew gate sometimes i will throw a res because it is not a spawn or harrower, just fun pvp.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well at least you guys can see why most people dont pvp on Oceania. Cos we gotta put up with people like 'Stupidtram' and 'Tramhater'. Im sure you could imagine the kind of things they say when they dont have a RoC to obey...

C

Crow

I spend 90% of my time in fel, and I am not perma red on every character, nor a member of a overbloated guild.

In fact I've spent the last 3 years bouncing from guild to guild, mostly newer ones with either newer players or people who want, but hardly set foot in to fel. It can be extremely frustrating at times, but the rewards for actually taking time to teach people and show them what is actually exciting about this game is well worth it. Turning a lettuce eating trammy into a hardcore murderer is just plain fun.

Hunting in tram is boring, the only reason I do go there is because of what fel lacks, such as peerless and ilsh. If fel had more to offer, in terms of land or monsters, you wouldn't see me in tram at all. Unless I am burning counts or feeling social (which is rare) I firmly believe Luna smells funny.

Much of what I have to say has already been said, I have no magic fix ideas for fel or the game in general, I just enjoy it for what it is.

And stupidtram has it right. I myself don’t use any program outside of what is allowed. However I am not so blind as to think that I do not benefit from people who do. That does limit me from some skills that are just insane. Do devs actually expect people to train poisoning legit? But I did train a tamer to useable levels correctly.

I know full well I am handicapped because I don't use extra programs to enhance my pvp, but oh well. I still win some times, and I might swear, but I don't cry when I lose.