Damn it EA/Mythic.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I am tired of seeing vets quit. I grow weary of seeing accounts for sell. Trust me, I know Siege is not a big draw. Most of your players have no use for Siege. That is OK. There are some few of us that play no other Shard. I realize this will land in S&R.

There are some of us that will not play anywhere else. It is not my normal procedure to rant. But damn it folks... We play UO too. It is just a bit different.

Yes, you Uhall folk see some posts trying to recruit. Guess what. We don't want you unless you really want to play. You will die and lose things.

This is the only English speaking shard that allows that. Thieves steal, and folks PK each other. There is no other shard like it. I like it that way.

Please EA/Mythic. Consider us. We are all thieves, murderers, and a hand full of heroes. Yet, we are here. I ask no one to play Siege that does not understand.

You will die and lose your stuff. That is OK. It happens.

H

Hunters Moon

Kelmo,if you were a Developer,what things would you change/fix about SP? You mention about PK and losing things. Thats fine,I can deal with being looted dry and all that,but what about player on player harrassment? You know the kind I mean. They would follow you around and attempt to peek into your pack,they would smack talk-knowing that you have no way of attacking them with any chance of winning.This was my experence about three weeks ago when I made a character there. Needless to say I didn't stay logged on long on this character. I get "harrassed" enough at my job to have to get another dose of it in a game.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I would just tweak RoT a bit. Let the folks that want to play Siege play. Months is just silly. We invite people to come play. They can not. Unless they spend several weeks training. Weeks are only for the one's serious about it.

A casual Siege player will take months, up to a year to train up. When the gains for 99 to 120 are 15 minutes apart, it is tough. RoT is much better than GGS. I know. Laugh if you will.

It is the 99 and up that sucks. EA made 120 the norm. We only ask EA/Mythic to consider that.

I am scrolled out and trained. Hard times but I did it. I know most of you do not read the Siege boards. Heh! Those folks can fight on the shard and the boards.

I read those forums daily. I have too. When we lose a player, it hurts. One player makes a big difference.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I am tired of seeing vets quit. I grow weary of seeing accounts for sell. Trust me, I know Siege is not a big draw. Most of your players have no use for Siege. That is OK. There are some few of us that play no other Shard. I realize this will land in S&R.

There are some of us that will not play anywhere else. It is not my normal procedure to rant. But damn it folks... We play UO too. It is just a bit different.

Yes, you Uhall folk see some posts trying to recruit. Guess what. We don't want you unless you really want to play. You will die and lose things.

This is the only English speaking shard that allows that. Thieves steal, and folks PK each other. There is no other shard like it. I like it that way.

Please EA/Mythic. Consider us. We are all thieves, murderers, and a hand full of heroes. Yet, we are here. I ask no one to play Siege that does not understand.

Many aspects of the game have problems and issues, yet we play because we find the game overall to be worth it.

If Siege is truly in the state you seem to imply, has it ever occurred to you that maybe it's not inattention and bugs that are causing the lack of population on Siege, but rather the fact that people just don't want to play that way?

If your shard is in as bad a state as you imply, it's telling that it is so even though your shard dominates this message board.

Also.....You're a Mod. Put your Mod cap on. Replace Siege, in your post, with any other playstyle, and tell me how you as a mod would react to it.

-Galen's player

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Galen, If you ever played with the folks I played with...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Trust me. When Siege dies, so does UO.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
You know. It might.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I wish we were a seperate game. We would never bother you folks again.

A

AesSedai

- 'hands full, atm'...

Aye, ideally Siege & Mugen would get much love much respect.
But it seems as though EA/Mythic's collective hands are 'full atm'...
inmyopinion

I think prodo UO is wishing for More just as much as S&M UO are...
Unfortunately for us, there has been a WAR on the horizon.
At least we know that EA has immaterialized several MMOs that they collectively believed in more than the original, the UO. Yikes, that has to build consumer confidence, right ?!?! Crud happens, always. It isn't the best place, but hopeflly after 10 years of generating revenue from, they will give the UO legacy an ultimately-already-paid-for-many-times-over chance, even though WAR is all they want to see, because they want to get close to our pseudo-favorite lil' buddy wow. Ooh colors! (Neat. Cool graphics. Great gameplay. So many people to party with. But why is it that I am getting bored w/ the whack-a-mole level grind?)
The shareholders seem to have realized the potential, wow how did they ever foresee, how did they ever listen to, what we've told them before wow ever was...;
But the question is (not really, for they don't know imo) do they see the true UO potential that EA has toyed around with for +10 years?
-Obviously: "NO." But it is a very tricky thing, dealing with billions of lines of outdated code.
Sucks that UO was always owned by the paying majority (stockholders), huh?
Yes it does. But it is hard to kill a great idea that remains to have Ultimate potential (I'm talking about UO, not the other MMOs they released and essentailly abandoned, even though it might happen to UO due to the desire for WAR to succeed. imo. secede? silly; unless the EboArd is brainless... imo).
One of these days they will see the diamond they left in the rough; I hope it happens before their eyes hone in on too many other flashy rocks; some call them pyrite - that's fool's gold, I know ya' know. We've been here before and quite a few times. I hope WAR is a hit! Truly.
But I've known UO could be a blockbuster.
Hopefully by now EA/Mythic is well-versed that you don't put all of your bread in one basket; their history has taught me as much (ea sports its in the game... well it was until wow kicked your hiney just like many of us said a truly dedicated mmo would... reminiscing is so fun.. i remember the days when wow was on the horizon, it was years after I knew EA was wasting so much potential... ahh, memories) and if they haven't seen it they must be ignor-ing-ant, perhaps for the ~benefit~ of their publically owned interests. 'twould be a shame if so... If not, then WAR is all that matters w/ the E/M MMOs (Mythic's premiere EA title. Dang shame if they don't promote the golden goose they were handed, imo).

I hope your Siege Perilous pleas are heard.
I also hope everyone will send this to any EA stockholders they know.
I'd like to light a match and alert our benefactors as much as any.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I know bud. All of our accounts added up do not make as much as a Madden game.

G

GAMBIT35

Hoestly, I don't know what you guys expect out of a 10 year + mmo that has turned into a niche game. You really need to come to grips with the fact this is a Zombie game and enjoy it for what it is or move on. UO's resources are very limited and they aren't going to micro-manage a niche shard inside a niche game.

G

Gwendar-SP

Fix barding. When someone discords your pet it is a HOSTILE act, far worse than if someone casts a spell on it. Yet a bard can do this with no repercussions. They do not flag, don't go grey, will not get guard wacked.

Fix pets so that they don't have an attack range that is greater than a players and can't kill someone almost instantly.

I still think RoT is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It does have the problem that since the gains are limited each day a player has serious problems training if they can't play every day.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Kelmo AND EA/Mythic Folks,

I Do Not play Siege Perilous.

However, I play Baja. I love Baja and would die (at least as is virtually possible) were Baja to end. I grieve even when Baja suffers or sees a diminishing population.

I expect this is how Kelmo views his beloved SP.

I respect his passion, love, and concern for his Shard.

I honor that passion, love, and concern...by asking everyone to try to understand his plea...and give each of our beloved shards some much needed LOVE & ATTENTION.

An SoS

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 31, 2005
parts unknown
Kelmo, I have been around UO over six years, never quit once, and have heard the cries of UO's death over and over and over.

If one does not have the patience to work up skills, then by all means QUIT.

UO will not die without you, trust me. Go read other game forums.....there are many UO players trying out both or few games.....(like WoW)

Other games come and go.......WoW is an online console game, ooooo- let's build levels.....I tried it, it's a kiddies game and it's limited.

The problem with alot of players today??( I seen this with my adult kid....oxymoron huh?)....Most of them want it now or forget it.

He literally called me one day, asking me to look up cheats and codes for some console game....I told him"why are you even playing then?" (wasn't a question)

Same in UO, players don't work for their gold....they buy it, (a good majority)
And those that do work for it, are 1) farming without a life or 2) scripting like all hell, to sell it.

Last but not least, call EA/Mythic corporate......posting here is like wasting your time......

Patience, UO's unseen virtue.

M

Mulch

*chuckles*

Calling a playerbase which on average is between 20 and 30 as kiddies is charming.
Thank you!

J

Joyous2K

I don't play Siege. The retro shard. How is this not in SnR, yet?
That's awesome. Siege holds the power over the boards, I guess.

I don't really care about Siege. I don't even know what you are saying... you want more players on your shard? YOU want EA to ban account sale? This is the most SnR thing ever and people are commenting on it, like it is even saying anything. You want insurance for Siege? EA considers Siege a PITA I bet.

M

Mulch

The day EA closes siege they really state that they don't care **** about the player base. And I think that message would be pretty clear to all.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Thank you for showing me a new depth of insulting and non-reality based arrogance.

If anyone other than a Mod had done this thread, it would have been deleted, not just moved but deleted, before it got 3 responses.

-Galen's player

B

Black Betty

I would agree. What kind of arrogance does it take to believe that the shard you play is the one that keeps UO going? What make SP more important than any other shard? I have tried to work a character on SP and the truth is, that it is worthless to anyone other than you, Mr. UO Moderator. The player base isn't helpful and it's almost as if you can't get your footing because of it. Not sure what your whining will do here.

I can't think of anyone playing their favorite shard that likes to see folks leaving, selling accounts or closing them. We just learn to deal with it and hope that someday they come back.

Be right back with some cheese to go with that whine.
rolleyes:

D

Deano

If Siege Perilous wasn't overseas, I'd play on it. Why? Because quite frankly after making a new character the other day to see what skill leveling is like (I GMed my skills back before LBR and never made anotehr character), this game is a sinch.

It reminds me of games like Warcraft. Where the game practically plays itself where as long as you satisfy a very small criteria you'll always walk forward. There is no challenge or variables anymore.

It's simple:

Pre-Renaissance. Was The Second Age perfect? No it wasn't. But this time amend the game rather than change it.

L

linko50

Odly enough, what he is saying is in a few ways very true.... Siege stands for what UO started as, it is the base of this game that is so loved by us all. though there have been modifications even to siege, it is the shard that has kept most like the old UO that some of us so fondly remember... while it may not be that if you were to take away the shard its self you would UO. IF you took away the shard, you would lose what UO started for, and the options, and choices that people once had....

not to mention, when you do anything in life you go though the process of trial and error, the great thing is you learn from your errors, thus getting better at whatever it is you do. I have to say that it just wouldnt be right to be a master of all in a weeks time. your char should take love and devotion to build, and at the end you will retain so much more pride in what you have accomplished.... unlike the char that you build in 2 days from start to finish... no emotional attachment to that type of char, also, that does not help EA because that in reaction makes no emotional attachment to the game, when you can quit, and a week after re-joining have everything in game again.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
My opening statement,

For every account that is closed, either by the Owner of the Account or BY EA/Mythic, is a loss to every one in UO, from, if no other reason, the reduction to the revenue stream.

This is true regardless of the Shard you play on, the side you play on.

The Soap Box,

Every one in UO should be allowed to play UO they way they wish to play it. This needs to be taken in the context of Community. A basic rule of thumb should be to all players is this, if your actions will cause one or more accounts to be closed, then you should seriously consider NOT performing that action as there is (not literally/an absolute) no reason / rational for one person to drive others away from the game. This same statement should be true of each and every shard.

Should any shard be closed, including SP, it will NOT be the death of UO UNLESS IT IS THE LAST SHARD.

To rewrite UO History and state that SP is UO the way it was meant to be is .... I am very sorry to those that will be offended here and I do not mean offense, a SERIOUSLY BAD, TASTELESS JOKE. The Original UO, UO the way it was meant to be, yadda yadda yadda etc etc, was lost irrevocably within the first 8 months :( It was lsot when DD chose to NOT STOP THE Hackers, the Cheats, the Exploiters, and I will not even raise the memory of the gratuitously obscene griefers, of which one of the most offensive was on Sonoma.

I was there (as in UO and one of the first to join SP) when it was being discussed and eventually implemented. SP was in every sense of the word a MUTATION/Perversion of UO. It was intended, designed, wanted to be UO made EXTREMELY HARD/Difficult. It was for the Hard Core Sadist/Masochistic ... hum ... Older crowd that wanted to get away from the Instant Gratification, Gank Squads of per-adolescents that were and perhaps still are rampant in UO.

Again I mean NO offense, but the SP you have today (and it was one of the first Shards I visited upon my return 4 months ago) is a WUSS SHARD compared to what the intentions, the goals, the expectations were.

I doubt seriously the OP being a moderator has anything to do with this thread being viable.

As far as I am concerned this is the UOHall, each and every one of us should be able to raise our concerns about UO here. And in clase it isn't crystal clear, SP and Felluca ARE PART OF UO.

Regardless of SP or Felluca being a MINORITY, if the MAJORITY does not and will not support them in their efforts to make their play style better, then WERE WILL THE MAJORITY LOOK TO FOR SUPPORT when it is their turn to be in the barrel? EH? It doesnt require you to like them or their play style, support them for your own preservation.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Atlantic
Kelmo --

If I understand your post, the things that frustrate you on Seige are the same on all shards, people quitting and selling accounts.

I am more proud of my GM 'd characters on Seige than those on production shards. (although my gm tamer and gm lumberjack which were built in the early days of the game, before everything became instant gratification.)

You say:

"Please EA/Mythic. Consider us. We are all thieves, murderers, and a hand full of heroes. Yet, we are here. I ask no one to play Siege that does not understand."

I am not certain exactly what it is you want..... (geez. have i missed the point here somewhere?)

I love being on Seige, get killed a lot and lose whatever i wear or carry at the time, cause i am lousy at pvp... the other side of that coin is that there is an excitement, an aura of energy there that simply does not exist elsewhere. Everytime I leave a secure place i am taking my virtual life in my hands, putting it in jeopardy. Yeah....... love it! I spend a lot of time on production shards also, friends are easier to make and one learns to trust because so much can be protected there.

rambled on too much...............

A

Alrich

soulstones was the biggest change that effected SP, as the whole idea behind SP with the 1 char rule was people had to rely on eachother. You couldn't be a GM crafter 1 day and a tamer the next.

but besides that, SP is the only shard to still have the freedom of original UO. man coming back here reminded me of the old days when you had to actually arrange your pack to be difficult to steal important things. When ya had to watch your back when mining and hunting for others.

T

Tycolby

The light at the end of the tunnel is not you new working client (KR) or any new expansion pack or patch full of bug fixes. Its a Mac truck hauling in the end for UO!!!! After two year of nothing, do you really believe this game has much of a future after the end of this Fiscal year? Deleting stuff of the shard everyday (Turn In/ Clean Up) as a way to maybe shrink the shards into a few only? Sometimes you just have to let go.

:drama:

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
The players of Siege always complain about their low population, but it is those player's fault that no one wants to play on that shard.

The community on Siege is horrible, one of the worst in the game. The players there aren't looking to help new players, they're looking to kill them repeatedly and then say "Tram ------>"

Even if you do stick around and build up a character, you soon realize that the entire shard is made up of thieves and stealth tamers/archers. The day I realized what a joke that shard has become was when I was in a fight and there were approximately 10 people fighting, but I was the only character that didn't have hiding/stealth.

Look no further than yourselves when you wonder why your beloved shard is so dead.

A

Alrich

The players of Siege always complain about their low population, but it is those player's fault that no one wants to play on that shard.

The community on Siege is horrible, one of the worst in the game. The players there aren't looking to help new players, they're looking to kill them repeatedly and then say "Tram ------>"

Even if you do stick around and build up a character, you soon realize that the entire shard is made up of thieves and stealth tamers/archers. The day I realized what a joke that shard has become was when I was in a fight and there were approximately 10 people fighting, but I was the only character that didn't have hiding/stealth.

Look no further than yourselves when you wonder why your beloved shard is so dead.

There are some who just go "HAHAHA NEWB" as they kill you but most aren't like that. Been here over 2 months now, been dry looted once. And my char has no hiding, not even magery. So you can't generalize it to everyone.

Far as people not helpful that is far from true. First person I ever ran into on the shard (2 minutes after making my char) was a red and gave me a bunch of stuff to get myself started, and extras incase I ran into any of the aforementioned jackasses just wanting a murder count.

Also the NEW guild here does help and most will leave you alone, short of a few bored KOC members and maybe krystal roaming randomly-- and even then, unless you were a jackass or doing something not quite so new (see: trying to make out with a box of artis from an idoc or trying to trash talk when your char is 6 days old) they usually will rez you and / or let you get your stuff back.

the tram ---> you can just look at rico about that since he puts that in every other of his 3000+ posts (on a temp board nonetheless) and ...la in all of them.

Siege's community is waning and it needs refreshment. A lot of players who get bored of the insurance and trammel (ie griefingland, where you can't kill that idiot annoying you) come here before they quit. The ROT grind is the biggest turnoff, and if people are really that quabbly about losing a few pieces of armor getting killed *sigh* its just a freakin game.

Oh and running is one skill that isn't subjected to ROT. Got good at that quick =p

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Philly PA
when people get sick and bored of the trammie shards they come to SP. Trammie offers no risks. I mean seriously, on trammie u can make all the money in the world have all the items and never lose them. on SP its a challenge to get what u want. there can be a killer lurking around the corner!
Its challenging, exciting and fun! ya some people talk ****, so what?? u cant tell me other shards dont have **** talkers too! anyway for most UO players SP is the last stop be4 they quit uo. my point is these people are already frustrated with the game but now they gotta go threw rot and give up cause it takes to long! these people already made chars on trammie shards they dont need to spend 6 months to a yr here making chars too! just fix rot it cant be that hard. :thumbup1:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
You probably should stop crying over being killed there, it shows how bad it must have been for you since you seem to cry everytime a Siege thread is created in UHall...la

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
You probably should stop crying over being killed there, it shows how bad it must have been for you since you seem to cry everytime a Siege thread is created in UHall

haha....... I knew that was coming.

Trust me it obviously didn't deter me from playing there. I wouldn't have a completed PvP char and a GM+ crafter char on Siege if dying a few times had bothered me.

Nice try though, sorry your shard still sucks.

Maybe you all should get off your stealth chars.......la

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Siege Perilous was the second biggest mistake in UO's history.

The first? How they handled non-con PvP with Trammel and Felucca.

They could fix the situation and make it easier to develop for the "Siege" ruleset (there's not a huge difference beside the non-con PvP), but they won't, because they don't have that kind of vision.

Still... I don't think Siege Perilous has that kind of importance on the future of UO. Really.

Not, mind you, that I think UO has much of a future anyway.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
You probably should stop crying over being killed there, it shows how bad it must have been for you since you seem to cry everytime a Siege thread is created in UHall

haha....... I knew that was coming.

Trust me it obviously didn't deter me from playing there. I wouldn't have a completed PvP char and a GM+ crafter char on Siege if dying a few times had bothered me.

Nice try though, sorry your shard still sucks.

Maybe you all should get off your stealth chars.......la
Haing a completed PvP character means nothing. Did you actually compete on Siege or did you log in get your RoT gains and log off? Can't say I recall a player named Colter ever being a regular player on Siege...ever...la

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Wow, took only about 15 hours for a flame baiting post, by a mod no less, to be referred to S&R, even though the poster himself appears to have recognized that it belonged there.

-Galen's player

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Haing a completed PvP character means nothing. Did you actually compete on Siege or did you log in get your RoT gains and log off? Can't say I recall a player named Colter ever being a regular player on Siege...ever...la

Having....*smiles*

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC

What is your definition of compete? Do you mean hang around Luna trying to steal band aids and regs all day? Nope never did that.

Champ spawns, peerless, pvp.....did those, does that count?

So you've never heard of me.....well since I've never heard of you, what does that mean?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
What is your definition of compete?
Out in the field fighting others, fighting with or without groups against other players with or without groups. Being part of the community. We have a small enough shard that most players will know most others or at least will have seen them in game. You on the other hand seem to have played the stealth Siege player since nobody has ever heard of you...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com