• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reduce Chivalry to 2/6 casting?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new player to the game on a vet account could be taught how to play a chiv template in two hours, and could survive all day long using less than 10 keys. A vet on a mage will in many cases have to use their entire keyboard to take down one person...not to mention they have to compete against 2 additional fast cast with chiv chars. Add in bandages and you might as well tell the mage to just go home...

Please, elaborate on how this statement is wrong if you disagree with it. Otherwise, get stuffed...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody cried about chiv' or its casting speed prior to holy fist. Why should an entire skill be nerfed because a few people want to cry about 1 spell?
I have been talking about how overpowered chiv is for over a decade. Hell, I used to have 2/6 chiv on my mage back in the day because remove curse was that powerful. 4/6 remove curse is really stupid especially with the fast heal and cures. Also, dispelling while running. All of it is dumb. I have a 4/6 char that will never die 1v1- ever.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Chiv is fine. But feel Free to make it useless in PvP only as Long as u leave it in pvm

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. It's even funnier because the OP managed to kill the 4/6 character, so obviously it is not overpowered if it is able to be killed
Incorrect, just because someone died doesn't mean that its not overpowered. Stupid statement.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can assure you it hasn't been around forever.
I didn't realize I'd have to specify for the window licking crew. I assure you for 99.999996% of the people that play UO considering the game is 20 years old and chiv Necro was introduced like 16 years ago it's been since they clicked create account..so yeah FOREVER nerd. I don't get why you beat your chest about how l33t sauce you are because u played pre pub 16(refers to like literally every post). Cach me Ousside helmet..UOR or UOF u choose :clown:

:end advertisement: #acceptingofmynewwarningfromTOS

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Incorrect, just because someone died doesn't mean that its not overpowered. Stupid statement.
It's overpowered because I can create a small tiny macro start, go afk, come back and you'll be bored. Then I can log out.. stupid players

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if a 4/6 Char is overpowered than the set up the OP used must be super overpowered so maybe we should NERF the OP to make them even.
Don't be an idiot. Please allow for actual player skill. A bad player like yourself could die on a 4/6er to most other builds. Doesn't mean someone who knows what they're doing would die 1v1 on a chiv char with todays gear if playing seriously.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't realize I'd have to specify for the window licking crew. I assure you for 99.999996% of the people that play UO considering the game is 20 years old and chiv Necro was introduced like 16 years ago it's been since they clicked create account..so yeah FOREVER nerd. I don't get why you beat your chest about how l33t sauce you are because u played pre pub 16(refers to like literally every post). Cach me Ousside helmet..UOR or UOF u choose :clown:

:end advertisement: #acceptingofmynewwarningfromTOS
Its not forever though is it. Jesus, what a moron.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't be an idiot. Please allow for actual player skill. A bad player like yourself could die on a 4/6er to most other builds. Doesn't mean someone who knows what they're doing would die 1v1 on a chiv char with todays gear if playing seriously.
Again..I click play, u say how lame it is. Then walk away...Zzzzzz

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again..I click play, u say how lame it is. Then walk away...Zzzzzz

What type of drivel is this? Is your post somehow adding any productive value to the discussion? Beyond trolling, what do you expect to accomplish?

If you have something to say for or against reducing the casting cost, I would love to hear it...thanks.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are going to insult someone, at least have all your ducks in a row. AoS didnt come out until feb 2003...which was only 15 years ago.

FYI...calling someone a nerd for playing something longer than you doesn't make them a nerd, it just makes them older than you and for all intensive purposes, your elder.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What type of drivel is this? Is your post somehow adding any productive value to the discussion? Beyond trolling, what do you expect to accomplish?

If you have something to say for or against reducing the casting cost, I would love to hear it...thanks.
It's the whole point of the thread thats asinine. It's OP but I'm awesome and killed him anyways...derp! Any semi coordinated human being can play a 4/6 Chiv character and NOT die 2v1 never mind 1v1. It's a joke..I won't even use potions or bandages and never die. Those are just supplemental to save on mana. The only real flaw chiv has is that it "used" to be harder to fit in offense ability(with items now that's the past). My only argument is since the addition of massive skill increase items into the game. You can now have superior defense and an average to above average offense(depending on skill level). The kids on NA servers are dopes for the most part and think inside the box. Go fight on Yomato..they use it to its full potential. 4/6 Chiv Parry bush splinter swordsmen ..good fkin luck chaps! Use your brains guy, I know it's a fun crutch. You wonder why everyone leaves and there's continually less and less people to fight, it's stupid. Agree to disagree..I could care less what u think tbh, everyone knows how's stupid OP 4/6 Chiv is. Yet don't want it nerfed..well just because it's easy..

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the whole point of the thread thats asinine. It's OP but I'm awesome and killed him anyways...derp! Any semi coordinated human being can play a 4/6 Chiv character and NOT die 2v1 never mind 1v1. It's a joke..I won't even use potions or bandages and never die. Those are just supplemental to save on mana. The only real flaw chiv has is that it "used" to be harder to fit in offense ability(with items now that's the past). My only argument is since the addition of massive skill increase items into the game. You can now have superior defense and an average to above average offense(depending on skill level). The kids on NA servers are dopes for the most part and think inside the box. Go fight on Yomato..they use it to its full potential. 4/6 Chiv Parry bush splinter swordsmen ..good fkin luck chaps! Use your brains guy, I know it's a fun crutch. You wonder why everyone leaves and there's continually less and less people to fight, it's stupid. Agree to disagree..I could care less what u think tbh, everyone knows how's stupid OP 4/6 Chiv is. Yet don't want it nerfed..well just because it's easy..

What on earth are you on?

So, I was agreeing with you that its OP but you went on a verbal rant at me anyway?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What on earth are you on?

So, I was agreeing with you that its OP but you went on a verbal rant at me anyway?
Obviously something amazing. I didn't even read the whole thread, this is Stratics...it's probably 60% I love mommy messana, 20% add more deco, 10% morons who just lurk and click report on messages, .08% I have 73 accounts this sucks for me, 9% of know it alls "I iz g0d of UO" , and .02% of people who have actual things to contribute to a conversation. Andddd I haven't decided which group I wanna play in today. It varies...sooooo crack

Don't forget the 3% crowd..they are the special needs crowd, the ones that exceed the 100% in to an all new category. I called them the 100plus crew..there's a few even in this thread.

"Takes a moron to spot a moron"
-Cazador(circa 2017)

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No. just no....

LMAO......

You got a character that can't kill anything but also happens to die once in a while. How the hell is that overpowered? on what planet?

I would actually consider a character like that to be quite underpowered and could probably use some buffs. I would start with increasing the slow effect of Holy Fist, because right now the slow effect is barely noticeable. It would be nice if the ability actually worked the way it is described and actually slowed people down.

Also I noticed the people who complain about the strong defense of Chivalry always fail to mention the ridiculously weak offense of Chivalry. ALWAYS. Why is that? LOL. You can't leave out the weak offense part when speaking about Chivalry. C'mon now... Did the OP complain about Chiv offensive capability at all? Of course not. As expected he only mention the defensive side. His Chiv opponent failed to kill the OP due to weak offense, and in turn allowed the OP to kill the Chiv character. When your opponent has bad offense, you can easily get MULTIPLE tries with your combos, etc. If you fail to kill him the first few tries, you can keep trying without much worry, because they can't do a whole lot back to you, so you are never really in any danger. And when RNG streak hits in your favor, you can get the kill on a Chiv character.

Last edited:

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yea try a 4/6 chiv char who doesn't 'fist', with bush but no parry, and no magicresist. So OP!!!

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yea try a 4/6 chiv char who doesn't 'fist', with bush but no parry, and no magicresist. So OP!!!
well you can easily fit parry and resist on a 4/6 fister with swords and bushido. just because you took away all your defensive abilitys to add nervestrike or deathstrike dont mean the temp is not overpowered.

Never mind you can cure lethal in .5 seconds everytime, but the remove curse casting non stop is the most op part about chiv.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OH now I am a bad player and you are a moron, how is that. Bottom line is you all want any TEMP nerfed that may give you a problem so you can be the #1 *******, sorry I ment badass in the game.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OH now I am a bad player and you are a moron, how is that. Bottom line is you all want any TEMP nerfed that may give you a problem so you can be the #1 *******, sorry I ment badass in the game.
No, just no. What people want is a well rounded balance to all templates ideally. Skill should determine who wins a fight, not a skill you scroll up. If any skill gets so potent that it can negate entire templates with one spell...perhaps it is time to have a discussion on if the skill needs to be revamped for pvp.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just for the record mage's are pretty strong.

I play a Mage,Mystic,Spell weaver and have never lost a round of PVP.

Now for those of you who are going to pop in and say "I want to challenge", I have retired after all these years and spend my time relaxing at the local tavern or traveling the lands of Sosaria.

My perfect record of Zero Losses in tack.

Oh I also hold a record of Zero Ties and Zero Wins

It is the perfect Avatar Trifecta !

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, just no. What people want is a well rounded balance to all templates ideally. Skill should determine who wins a fight, not a skill you scroll up. If any skill gets so potent that it can negate entire templates with one spell...perhaps it is time to have a discussion on if the skill needs to be revamped for pvp.
But the OP even said he beat the 4/6 TEMP and still wants it nerfed and then you get @PwnySlaystation doing the norm PvP board bullying and name calling. So no everybody DOES NOT want an even playing field if they can beat a TEMP and still want it nerfed.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just for the record mage's are pretty strong.

I play a Mage,Mystic,Spell weaver and have never lost a round of PVP.

Now for those of you who are going to pop in and say "I want to challenge", I have retired after all these years and spend my time relaxing at the local tavern or traveling the lands of Sosaria.

My perfect record of Zero Losses in tack.

Oh I also hold a record of Zero Ties and Zero Wins

It is the perfect Avatar Trifecta !
Don't tell anyone or they will whine to get you nerfed too.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you are a bad player. Not an insult, just an observation. Relax.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But the OP even said he beat the 4/6 TEMP and still wants it nerfed and then you get @PwnySlaystation doing the norm PvP board bullying and name calling. So no everybody DOES NOT want an even playing field if they can beat a TEMP and still want it nerfed.
If someone is AFK on an overpowered template and dies to an inferior one, is the inferior one now the OP one as well? If someone talks louder than the opposing individual, they win the argument by default.

These ideas illustrate the paths of logic your posts are taking. One might assume trolling is your primary motivation here rather than offering real rebuttal.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone is AFK on an overpowered template and dies to an inferior one, is the inferior one now the OP one as well? If someone talks louder than the opposing individual, they win the argument by default.

These ideas illustrate the paths of logic your posts are taking. One might assume trolling is your primary motivation here rather than offering real rebuttal.
I'm too disturbed by that signature to take anything you say seriously. :p

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chiv- needs to be slowed down.

I am not sure how it is the "counterpart" to necromancy- yet one spell cast at an insanely high speed can negate all of the counterpart spells. Not to mention necro is tied to spirit speak. Make chiv tied to a useless skill also. I bet people would think twice before putting it on their template.

People who say chiv by itself doesn't have much offense... what are you smoking? You can throw 4/6 on temps without much skill investment and thus pair it with ANYTHING making it even more overpowered than just the split second remove curse, cures, running dispels, and heals.

Anyone that defends chiv- needs chiv. If you are even semi-competent on a chiv char you can't die one v one.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really think that casting any mage spell should prohibit casting another until the first spell goes off. ie combos like explosion followed by energy bolt, for example, should be nerfed.

Clearly magery is overpowered.

I really get tired of everyone complaining nerf this nerf that.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I really think that casting any mage spell should prohibit casting another until the first spell goes off. ie combos like explosion followed by energy bolt, for example, should be nerfed.

I would actually argue the Protection spell is pretty overpowered. No spell interruptions? Where is the skill and timing in that?

It should work more like casting focus, so there is still a chance to be disrupted.

Other than increasing the slow effect of Holy Fist, another suggestion I have to improve the laughable weak offense of Chivalry is to make it work better with Poisoning. Right now if you have both skills, keeping up the karma is a real problem due to the Poisoning skill constantly lowering your karma. You have to spend more time farming karma than actually playing the game. My suggestion is to get rid of the karma loss from infectious strike or have the karma loss only happen when you poison your weapon.

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would actually argue the Protection spell is pretty overpowered. No spell interruptions? Where is the skill and timing in that?

It should work more like casting focus, so there is still a chance to be disrupted.

Other than increasing the slow effect of Holy Fist, another suggestion I have to improve the laughable weak offense of Chivalry is to make it work better with Poisoning. Right now if you have both skills, keeping up the karma is a real problem due to the Poisoning skill constantly lowering your karma. You have to spend more time farming karma than actually playing the game. My suggestion is to get rid of the karma loss from infectious strike or have the karma loss only happen when you poison your weapon.
Do you have anything legit to offer this thread? Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internets, so please dumb it down so the devs don't accidentally take you seriously...thanks.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Do you have anything legit to offer this thread? Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internets, so please dumb it down so the devs don't accidentally take you seriously...thanks.
I was actually being serious. Protection needs a nerf and karma loss from Poisoning should be changed.

Infectious Strike didn't always cause you to lose so much karma. I think there could be many interesting templates you can create with Poison and Chiv together and would bring more diversity to the pvp scene.

The nerf to Protection should have happened a long time ago when Mortal was nerfed. There is not much a dexer without Poisoning can do to prevent a mage in Protection from healing themselves since the Mortal nerf.

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Can you really call it a combo if it takes 8 seconds to cast and go off in protection? A dexxer can get off 5 AI in the same amount of time for around twice the dmg. Try again...

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran

That is a very good point. It is too much burst damage at one time

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was actually being serious. Protection needs a nerf and karma loss from Poisoning should be changed.
I notice you have certain views this thread which you refuse to accept critique on. Perhaps you should be open minded on the present subject before asking anyone to move on?

Infectious Strike didn't always cause you to lose so much karma. I think there could be many interesting templates you can create with Poison and Chiv together and would bring more diversity to the pvp scene.
Yes, since AoS, use of the poisoning skill has caused karma loss, never the opposite. Karma loss was nerfed with the addition of Exodus considering it only takes 25% of the time it used to in order to get twice the karma.

The nerf to Protection should have happened a long time ago when Mortal was nerfed. There is not much a dexer without Poisoning can do to prevent a mage in Protection from healing themselves since the Mortal nerf.
I call bullsh**. If you can't kill a mage standing still casting a spell, perhaps try crafting, or some type of pvm.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chiv- needs to be slowed down.

I am not sure how it is the "counterpart" to necromancy- yet one spell cast at an insanely high speed can negate all of the counterpart spells. Not to mention necro is tied to spirit speak. Make chiv tied to a useless skill also. I bet people would think twice before putting it on their template.

People who say chiv by itself doesn't have much offense... what are you smoking? You can throw 4/6 on temps without much skill investment and thus pair it with ANYTHING making it even more overpowered than just the split second remove curse, cures, running dispels, and heals.

Anyone that defends chiv- needs chiv. If you are even semi-competent on a chiv char you can't die one v one.
Fitting in 4/6 casting to make chiv work effectively (whether one is running 120 and fisting or not) is no easy task, and ultimately cripples most chiv char's templates/suits (outside of the cookie-cutter holy-fister).

Take my 4/6 ds'er who (like it or not) plenty of you posting here have died to. I'd obviously be much better off dropping the chiv'. I don't fist to begin with, and would no longer need casting. I could then fit in parry or resist, and ultimately be much more potent. I barely even use chiv heals anyways ffs. I primarily use it for cross remove-curse and cures on team-mates, and sometimes holy light to interrupt.

I thought the overall objective in PvP balance was to open the door for more unique templates though instead of the same FOTW cookie-cutter temps.

A blanket nerf to chiv' casting speeds simply to hamper the fisters would cause a ripple effect taking away yet more template diversity.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fitting in 4/6 casting to make chiv work effectively (whether one is running 120 and fisting or not) is no easy task, and ultimately cripples most chiv char's templates/suits (outside of the cookie-cutter holy-fister).
I hope you are kidding. It has never been easier to find 1/3 jewels and 1fc weapon. With some gold you can find about anything needed under the sun. Town bonus the other 1fc and you are at 4/6...easy peasy.

I thought the overall objective in PvP balance was to open the door for more unique templates though instead of the same FOTW cookie-cutter temps.

A blanket nerf to chiv' casting speeds simply to hamper the fisters would cause a ripple effect taking away yet more template diversity.
I agree with you for the most part. However, as we discuss this there are several templates out there being played that are effectively cut off because of remove curse. Necros are worthless, as Paithan mentioned they were supposed to be the counter to paladins. You mention template diversity, but if chivalry were tied to a useless tertiary skill like necromancy is tied to SS, would you still use it?

Nerf would be a skewed way to look at it being fixed, considering one spell from Chivalry effectively nerfs every template out there.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it fair to compare chiv with necro.

Necro is one of if not the the most powerful skills in the game. SS is tied to it the way Evalint is to Magery, and Focus to Mysticism.

Chiv' is more of a complimentary skill to begin with, and the comparison is apples to oranges IMO.

SS allows you to heal through mortal. Pretty good skill if you ask me
This too, so much. Heals thru nox as well and is actually pretty OP, lol. (also lets you follow ghosts - a huge advantage in any team battle).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So now the OP 4/6 TEMP was AFK, LMAO

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it fair to compare chiv with necro.

Necro is one of if not the the most powerful skills in the game. SS is tied to it the way Evalint is to Magery, and Focus to Mysticism.

Chiv' is more of a complimentary skill to begin with, and the comparison is apples to oranges IMO.

This too, so much. Heals thru nox as well and is actually pretty OP, lol. (also lets you follow ghosts - a huge advantage in any team battle).
SS can be interupted very very easily and in the time it takes to get a successful SS, a 4/6er can remove curse[which removes mortal] and cast a close wounds.

Sounds to me like a bunch of players with chiv are just desperate to keep their safety blanket and not play real characters or have their characters made more challenging to play.

The fact that people are refusing to acknowledge that 1 ridiculously fast Chiv spell totally negates 20 seconds of casting from a necro who's got 120 more skillpoints invested and used a lot more mana to get to that point just goes to show how badly some players feel like they need this type of ridiculous advantage.

Fix for chiv - Slow the casting speed of remove curse down to 3-4 seconds. So its at least interruptable with a bit more ease.