• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Taming Publish Has Old Tamer Very Freaked Out

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What makes you right and me wrong???? What harm is there in letting a tamer change pets like any other fighter changes weapons????

How about this.... keep it the way it is..... but then make everyone else restricted to bringing 2 weapons ONLY ....... no more than 2 in your pack at a time. Then it will be "fair" for everyone.
I never said anyone was right or wrong. I just happen to believe your ranting and raving about tamers being crippled on several different threads is ridiculous. My mage tamer can tackle most any encounter in UO. Sure maybe a sampire can do a champ spawn faster, but there are things my tamer can do that my sampire can't. That is why UO is balanced. A tamer should not be able to do EVERY encounter in game at the same speed and ability as any other template just because you don't want to play other templates.

The number of pets you can bring does not equate to the number of weapons a dexxer can bring. That's a simplistic analogy that just doesn't make sense. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Also, you can make a hybrid template as a tamer (as you can with any skill group), so that you can have a Tamer-Mage, Tamer-Bard, Tamer-Dexxer, Stealth Tamer - you name it. I'm sure people have been more creative than even those examples I've given. In this current state of UO, there are also TONS of gear that has skill points on them to help save room in your "natural skills" template. If you choose not to utilize those options because you tie up your skill points elsewhere - that is your conscious decision to do so. There are plenty of options out there.

You've said several times in these various taming threads that your tamer has no defensive ability. I don't buy it. Your pet IS your defense. A Greater Dragon is a great big meat shield fighting the spawn or boss in front of you, while you stand back and cast or give pet commands, or whatever else. Sampires and other dexxers have to be upfront in the action and don't have the benefit of having a pet defend them up front.

Further more, life isn't fair and neither is UO.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just let tamers carry pet balls for their various pets...when they summon one, the one they already have autostables...prob solved, nobody hurt
Problem is pet summon balls only actually 'work' in about a 1/4 of the area of the game as it is (if that). This is something they have never actually 'fixed' and as such they are only really useful to keep at home and call your pet once it is stuck out in the boonies somewhere, lost, or once it is out to call it off a mob when the pet just won't follow. In some areas they don't even work to do that. They just dont work. Not to mention at 10 stones each you are not gonna carry many as you wouldn't be able to move. This is why people are forced to do the log in log out thing to summon pets. The balls just don't work, weigh too much and not only that need continually recharging with translocation powder. If you had to drag your pet to a lot of areas (that it seems the devs want to continue to not allow recalling to) you can end up spending 3/4's of your play time just getting the pet through high spawn areas etc especially in lower levels of dungeon, hence log in log out. Too muich hassle.

I have NO problem with 5 control slots, there needs to be a limit to the amount of power. However 21 stable slots on a max 3 mastery tamer with 120's is just stupid and has always been stupid.

@Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna

The stable should be like every other container and hold 125 items for ALL PLAYERS. I doubt many would ever fill it, but even if they did who cares, you can only have 5 slots worth of pets out at any given time. If a non-tamer wants to keep a blue beetle, fire beetle, 5 packies, one of each color 16th anni horse, a lasher, a windrunner, a couple of swampdragons, a pet dog, some bouras in their stable why shouldn't they? If there is intended to be a continuous effort to 'charge' people for vanity pets where exactly do you think they are gonna go? I might buy a windrunner or lasher or whatever else could be in the pipeline but won't as I am not sacrificing limited stable slots for vanity pets.

I have never understoood the rationality of stable slot limits. It is actually DETRIMENTAL to a tamer's fun and enjoyment of the game. It is totally moronic that dev team after dev team continues to keep these fixed limits, even when players continually ask for more and when it has absolutely NO impact on the play style of any other player, nor any balancing issues. What is stored in my stable has absolutely NO impact on anyone. Same as what bows/swords you have stored in a cupboard has no impact on my game. I seriously do NOT CARE how many of those you store, you should NOT CARE how many pets are in my stable.

Stable slot limits hinder:

• Tamers ability to use pack animals, ie 5 frienzied ostards, packs of wolves, etc
  • Tamers ability to selectively tame and breed up a variety of pets to determine what is better, high stats & resists v high stats & skill v high resists & skill on a number of different pets.
  • Tamers ability to train the best pet they can in different colors and aim to tame and breed the 'best' they can in that color range etc, ie tigers, cu's, hiryu's etc.
  • Tamers ability to stock animals for sale at the market in new magincia, ever had the vendor run out of money or been bidmatched out and not notice for a week and all your pets go 'poof' as there is no room in the stable for them. Has happened to me twice (atlantic) when I have been away and some idiot has decided to toss a 5 mil bid match on to force a change over on the stall even then the 'winner' never bothered to do anything with the stall they were just griefing.
  • Tamers ability to hold and store pets for player run events.
  • Tamers ability to hold and store vanity pets such as squirrels, cats, dogs, birds etc for events, pet fights, nostalgia.
  • All players ability to make use of the many 1-3 slot pets available to non-tamers/tamers alike. Lasher, windrunner, anni horses, swampies etc etc.

A lot of the above is stuff tamers would 'like' to do in addition to having their standard 'fighting' pets which they use on a day to day basis. Sometimes you just want to 'use your skill' and spend a day or so just pottering around adding to your stable, experimenting with different combos etc. You just can't do it due to stable slot limits.

If there is ONE thing this pet revamp should do it is to make the stable hold 125 animals like every other container and lift this UNWARRANTED and inbuilt restriction on the skill which serves NO PURPOSE other than to frustrate players.

Anyways, that is my rant, I have always hated stuff that is not logical, and is detrimental to a game that people actually pay to play to have fun in. In a game that is losing subscriptions hand over fist surely giving players MORE enjoyment should be the aim? Stable slot limits are total NONSENSE.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spending time looking for the best GD, or Cu or whatever is a big part of the gameplay for tamers. However varying the number of slots according to the stats for the same pet type is dangerous in the way that it can kill this type of gameplay. A 4 slot "awesome" pet may prove to be inferior to s 3 slot "average" pet because of another pet you can run with it. So instead of hunting for the best pets, mediocre may be just fine.
I think messing with slots just complicates things for no reason and potentially creates numerous problems down the road.
Current pet system has these problems:
1) Lack of variety. There is no reason to use anything other than GD 95% of the time.
2) Lack of viable pets with pure elemental damage other than phys.
3) Lack of pets with slayer capabilities.
4) Lack of special abilities that pets do.

#1 flows out of 2-3.

IMO it's fairly easy to solve this. Boost some existing pet's HP to be somewhat closer to GD. Change their slot requirements if necessary, but make sure the slot requirement is the same within species. Give some of these existing pets elemental damage. Alternatively, allow tamers to pick elemental damage along with some fun abilities and slayers in the process of training. That's it!
You can add more tameables, but that's pretty much the icing on the cake.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said any dexer can have as many weapons as his heart desires.... they simply take up lockdowns ..... But a tamer???? No restricted not only to 5 slots... ie bringing only 1 or 2 weapons to a fight... (whereas anyone else can bring as many as their backpack allows).... but they are further subjected to only being allowed to store 20 to 24 in the stable.... otherwise if they want more they have to pay HUGE fees and store them on a vendor in New Magincia and overprice them to no end hoping no one buys them. Or they can simply make more tamers but then if you have one account you can't trade yourself your own pets so you have to have more accounts and then like someone else pointed out you have to rebond them... Either paying RL money to get a pet bond potion or wait a week..... does an archer wait a week for his weapon???? NO.

It's silly.
Yeah I never got why they are so limited, and I don't think any explanation has ever been given.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The stable should be like every other container and hold 125 items for ALL PLAYERS. I doubt many would ever fill it, but even if they did who cares, you can only have 5 slots worth of pets out at any given time. If a non-tamer wants to keep a blue beetle, fire beetle, 5 packies, one of each color 16th anni horse, a lasher, a windrunner, a couple of swampdragons, a pet dog, some bouras in their stable why shouldn't they? If there is intended to be a continuous effort to 'charge' people for vanity pets where exactly do you think they are gonna go? I might buy a windrunner or lasher or whatever else could be in the pipeline but won't as I am not sacrificing limited stable slots for vanity pets.

I have never understoood the rationality of stable slot limits. It is actually DETRIMENTAL to a tamer's fun and enjoyment of the game. It is totally moronic that dev team after dev team continues to keep these fixed limits, even when players continually ask for more and when it has absolutely NO impact on the play style of any other player, nor any balancing issues. What is stored in my stable has absolutely NO impact on anyone. Same as what bows/swords you have stored in a cupboard has no impact on my game. I seriously do NOT CARE how many of those you store, you should NOT CARE how many pets are in my stable.

Stable slot limits hinder:

• Tamers ability to use pack animals, ie 5 frienzied ostards, packs of wolves, etc
  • Tamers ability to selectively tame and breed up a variety of pets to determine what is better, high stats & resists v high stats & skill v high resists & skill on a number of different pets.
  • Tamers ability to train the best pet they can in different colors and aim to tame and breed the 'best' they can in that color range etc, ie tigers, cu's, hiryu's etc.
  • Tamers ability to stock animals for sale at the market in new magincia, ever had the vendor run out of money or been bidmatched out and not notice for a week and all your pets go 'poof' as there is no room in the stable for them. Has happened to me twice (atlantic) when I have been away and some idiot has decided to toss a 5 mil bid match on to force a change over on the stall even then the 'winner' never bothered to do anything with the stall they were just griefing.
  • Tamers ability to hold and store pets for player run events.
  • Tamers ability to hold and store vanity pets such as squirrels, cats, dogs, birds etc for events, pet fights, nostalgia.
  • All players ability to make use of the many 1-3 slot pets available to non-tamers/tamers alike. Lasher, windrunner, anni horses, swampies etc etc.

A lot of the above is stuff tamers would 'like' to do in addition to having their standard 'fighting' pets which they use on a day to day basis. Sometimes you just want to 'use your skill' and spend a day or so just pottering around adding to your stable, experimenting with different combos etc. You just can't do it due to stable slot limits.

If there is ONE thing this pet revamp should do it is to make the stable hold 125 animals like every other container and lift this UNWARRANTED and inbuilt restriction on the skill which serves NO PURPOSE other than to frustrate players.

Anyways, that is my rant, I have always hated stuff that is not logical, and is detrimental to a game that people actually pay to play to have fun in. In a game that is losing subscriptions hand over fist surely giving players MORE enjoyment should be the aim? Stable slot limits are total NONSENSE.

Spot on.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After playing just about every combination of PVM char out there, I feel I can safely say this:

Tamers/Bards/Spellcasters/Archers have the LEAST wear and tear on armor. Period.

The Sampires, or in my case, just a plain old school dexxer with some chiv, gets their armor
and weapons wrecked in short order. I can't afford that anymore. Hell never could afford it,
but did it anyway, and now I am considered "poor"

I give kudos to the ones that can afford it and want to concentrate on that.

Dexxer types are out of my league on affordability. A tamer with a few good pets, and one
nice suit that will last. I am all for it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I never got why they are so limited, and I don't think any explanation has ever been given.
Well it's not as bad as it was..when they put in stable slots initially you could only have 5 slots max. I think initially stable slots and control slots were tied together, and used the same basic calculation, later that changed giving more stable slots while control slots didn't alter.

BrianATudor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think what you are describing could be one of the main reasons they are implementing many of these features. Every time I have tried to get into taming over the past 10 years, I have been discouraged when I learn about the prepatch or bugged pets that I need to have to really compete or be top tier. I have felt robbed of the taming experience for all of these years. I finally have hope that I can become a contender in this profession. I hope to have a chance at building a top tier tamer without breaking the bank. I am so excited!

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it's not as bad as it was..when they put in stable slots initially you could only have 5 slots max. I think initially stable slots and control slots were tied together, and used the same basic calculation, later that changed giving more stable slots while control slots didn't alter.
Yeah, I remember. I was annoyed about it then, and still am. :(

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every time I have tried to get into taming over the past 10 years, I have been discouraged when I learn about the prepatch or bugged pets that I need to have to really compete or be top tier.
Compete how? How do you determine who the "top tamer" is? In both PvP and PvE, your skill as a player is more important than your pet's stats. And prepatch pets are so few and far between that saying that their existence prevents you from playing tamer is a bit silly IMO. No matter what template you chose, there will be people who have something that you don't have and can't afford. An expensive suit or a pet does not make them top anything

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A small increase to stable slots along with this patch would be nice, i.e. 5-8 more slots depending on levels of taming skills... but "125 per character"? . With the 7th character option, that would amount to 875 pets per account. That is overload and kind of absurd. I hope that does not become the case.

If anything, they should make it a purchasable UO Store item to drum up some revenue. A buck per slot up with a reasonable limit of how many additional slots you can purchase.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A small increase to stable slots along with this patch would be nice, i.e. 5-8 more slots depending on levels of taming skills... but "125 per character"? . With the 7th character option, that would amount to 875 pets per account. That is overload and kind of absurd. I hope that does not become the case.

If anything, they should make it a purchasable UO Store item to drum up some revenue. A buck per slot up with a reasonable limit of how many additional slots you can purchase.
I would pay a buck apiece for some extra slots in a heartbeat. Sounds like a "win/win" . But then some people would probably cry and moan about how it's not FAIR! If they can't afford them, nobody else should have them. That sort of BS:(

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This is assuming that we all have 7 tamers only on are accounts
I only have 1 tamer so 21 to 22 slots max (I thank)

I do agree maybe it should be total pets per an account giving the bounces from taming skills and game add-ones
So 1 tamer = 100 slots
Other 6 each get 15 maybe

But once again what's the point in limiting tamers to less than 125 per a tamer character
I have yet to read 1 valid reason why there is a limit to begin with
can someone please explain why they don't or feel tamers should be limited

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I think the point they are trying to make is it shouldn't matter, back when Stable slots were matched by control slots it was one thing. Now with the increased variety of tamable creatures and this new system for training them, removing these limitations to a much higher amount makes well more sense and stable slots aren't keeping pace. I wouldn't recommend making them a Store item though, if the rumors of a F2P shift are true, which I hope they aren't as a Hybrid model would work better, putting something like this behind pay wall will only discourage people, if they do a Hybrid model, then by all means add extra slots to the store, but subscribers should get a major bump without any additional costs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

What is it you have against taming slots???? How does adding slots for tamers harm anyone???

And why should they have to pay??? Does your house limit you to how many weapons you can store????? What if all other classes were limited... limit of owning 20 spellbooks, Limit of owning 20 melee weapons..... No you can have as many of those as you can put in your house.... so again what is it you have against tamers getting an equal share???

The more pets they add the more frustrating it becomes... I look at that list of soon to be available pets and I want to cry... Do I give up the CuSides I spent YEARS collecting?????? Do I give up my old 7x WW that I have had since I first could tame one sooooo many years ago??? Do I give up the pair of Fire Steeds it took me so long to finally collect??? Why should I have to do that????

Having to chose between beloved pets and actually doing new content or not..... Makes me want to scream. I'm sorry but honestly ...... I fail to understand why tamers are so restricted. If it's a matter of space on the server... Get better servers. It's insane to think that having more pets in the stable would harm anything... given that most shards are sparsely populated and less and less so all the time... I really don't see any reason for this restriction other than some vendetta against tamers.

Quite honestly if they fail to add more stable slots they may as well not even do a pet revamp... What would be the point if you have no where to put more pets?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What is it you have against taming slots???? How does adding slots for tamers harm anyone???

And why should they have to pay??? Does your house limit you to how many weapons you can store????? What if all other classes were limited... limit of owning 20 spellbooks, Limit of owning 20 melee weapons..... No you can have as many of those as you can put in your house.... so again what is it you have against tamers getting an equal share???

The more pets they add the more frustrating it becomes... I look at that list of soon to be available pets and I want to cry... Do I give up the CuSides I spent YEARS collecting?????? Do I give up my old 7x WW that I have had since I first could tame one sooooo many years ago??? Do I give up the pair of Fire Steeds it took me so long to finally collect??? Why should I have to do that????

Having to chose between beloved pets and actually doing new content or not..... Makes me want to scream. I'm sorry but honestly ...... I fail to understand why tamers are so restricted. If it's a matter of space on the server... Get better servers. It's insane to think that having more pets in the stable would harm anything... given that most shards are sparsely populated and less and less so all the time... I really don't see any reason for this restriction other than some vendetta against tamers.

Quite honestly if they fail to add more stable slots they may as well not even do a pet revamp... What would be the point if you have no where to put more pets?
Haven't you said you have like 20+ tamers? Ever single stable slot is filled across all these characters?

And I just don't buy this argument of comparing tamed pets to spellbooks or melee weapons. Like I said previously, apples to oranges.

My two tamers stables are filled as well. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - just like when managing the items taking up lockdowns in my house. Out with the old and in with the new.

I think the point they are trying to make is it shouldn't matter, back when Stable slots were matched by control slots it was one thing. Now with the increased variety of tamable creatures and this new system for training them, removing these limitations to a much higher amount makes well more sense and stable slots aren't keeping pace. I wouldn't recommend making them a Store item though, if the rumors of a F2P shift are true, which I hope they aren't as a Hybrid model would work better, putting something like this behind pay wall will only discourage people, if they do a Hybrid model, then by all means add extra slots to the store, but subscribers should get a major bump without any additional costs.
I'm not sure what you see as "major" boost... but I'm opposed to any "every character should have 125 slots" ideas. I can see a boost of 5 to 8 slots... maybe 10, but I don't think it should be any more than that. Maybe even +20 for the 20 year anniversary, but that would be at the absolute max. Anything additional... I think store item is the perfect way to go. It would definitely drum up some interest and give nice little revenue bump to the store. I'm sure there will be the typical "but I pay my subscription!" complaints, but that seems to always be the case with booster packs and what not. If sub numbers are indeed continuing to fall, they need to squeeze revenue out of us wherever they can... and I'm okay with that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haven't you said you have like 20+ tamers? Ever single stable slot is filled across all these characters?

And I just don't buy this argument of comparing tamed pets to spellbooks or melee weapons. Like I said previously, apples to oranges.

My two tamers stables are filled as well. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - just like when managing the items taking up lockdowns in my house. Out with the old and in with the new.

I'm not sure what you see as "major" boost... but I'm opposed to any "every character should have 125 slots" ideas. I can see a boost of 5 to 8 slots... maybe 10, but I don't think it should be any more than that. Maybe even +20 for the 20 year anniversary, but that would be at the absolute max. Anything additional... I think store item is the perfect way to go. It would definitely drum up some interest and give nice little revenue bump to the store. I'm sure there will be the typical "but I pay my subscription!" complaints, but that seems to always be the case with booster packs and what not. If sub numbers are indeed continuing to fall, they need to squeeze revenue out of us wherever they can... and I'm okay with that.
Why does it matter how many Tamers an account has? A tamer can only have out as many pets as 5 control slots will allow, so what they have 100 pets. I bet your account has more than 100 items. Maybe we should have control slots for everything. Kind of stupid limiting what one class of toon can own when no other class has these restrictions.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Why does it matter how many Tamers an account has? A tamer can only have out as many pets as 5 control slots will allow, so what they have 100 pets. I bet your account has more than 100 items. Maybe we should have control slots for everything. Kind of stupid limiting what one class of toon can own when no other class has these restrictions.
Except that it has worked fine for years as is.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
UO worked great pre pub 16 and real great pre AoS so should we just revert back to then? That is the dumbest reason I have ever heard to not change something.
I'd be happy with a revert to somewhere around Publish 5 or 6 myself...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
In all honesty that is kind of a lame response... Yes it may have kinda sorta worked for years, but if they are changing things as drastically for taming as it appears, then it's a good time to request a revisit for stable slots. As long as control slots don't change, there isn't really much of a reason to limit stable slots as they are now, it simply doesn't matter if a person has 21 or 50 stable slots if they can only actively use pets that total 5 control slots.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In all honesty that is kind of a lame response... Yes it may have kinda sorta worked for years, but if they are changing things as drastically for taming as it appears, then it's a good time to request a revisit for stable slots. As long as control slots don't change, there isn't really much of a reason to limit stable slots as they are now, it simply doesn't matter if a person has 21 or 50 stable slots if they can only actively use pets that total 5 control slots.
I suspect we will get some sort of a boost. However, I don't think it should be some absurd 125 x 6 toons boost either.

I see a lot of "lame responses" here, mostly based around "I want it now" or some strange comparison of stable slots to bank boxes and weapons, etc. Pets aren't hand held weapons and stables aren't bank boxes. The same people that want 100+ slots also generally want to be able to instantly swap pets in the middle of battle. Tamers shouldn't be instant swapping pets in the battlefield from a list of 100+ in their stable. I don't believe it is unreasonable that I am swatting down what I see as awful suggestions.

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect we will get some sort of a boost. However, I don't think it should be some absurd 125 x 6 toons boost either.

I see a lot of "lame responses" here, mostly based around "I want it now" or some strange comparison of stable slots to bank boxes and weapons, etc. Pets aren't hand held weapons and stables aren't bank boxes. The same people that want 100+ slots also generally want to be able to instantly swap pets in the middle of battle. Tamers shouldn't be instant swapping pets in the battlefield from a list of 100+ in their stable. I don't believe it is unreasonable that I am swatting down what I see as awful suggestions.

This is a pet revamp. They could put in a flagging/combat timer to switch out pets, and still give our bankbox limit of stable spaces IMO.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I have a chest in my house for my warriors which hold 125 different swords/fencing weaps/slayer weapons for both classes, I dont have a macer so don't have anything stored for them. I have a chest with about 85 different bows in it for my two archers, 2-3 of each type of slayer, stuff with leeches in various combinations, I have a collection of all the arti bows which I never use 90% of but I like to have them as a collection. Do you consider this absurd?

I don't understand what LOGIC there is in anyone CARING what I have in ONE container (ie a stable) and how it can possibly be ABSURD if it holds 125 items.

It is no different to having 7 chests locked in my house on a 7 character account.

I don't understand how anyone gives a damn about my stable and whats in it. People in this game collect all manner of things, stuff that I would never have any use for or inclination to collect. Do I think that it is overload and absurd that people collect this, not in the slightest. What is ABSURD is that the stable is considered as anything OTHER than a standard container and that anyone cares about whatever I put in it.

If you don't have a use for a 125 stable slot container, then don't fill it, simple, but I am really over people who want to control what other people do or want just because THEY don't see a need.

As I stated above what I have in my stable has NO IMPACT on anyone else. Why do we always have people wanting to deny others stuff they want which has NO IMPACT on them? Totally illogical and in a way very selfish.

Not only that, I pay a sub each month to play this game and am so tired of players always shoving up an option to 'buy' stuff when it should be included in our sub. Why are so many people happy to keep shelling out more and more money for a game where the content is reducing yr by yr, with 0 full on expansions, reduction in annual 'holiday' events, ie valentine's etc, when there is no reduction in the sub. We should NOT be paying for stuff that requires absolutely no coding other than changing a number from 21 to 125 in the code. Enough already about us paying more for stuff that doesnt even require an hours worth of effort.

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has NOT worked fine for years, that is the point. For YEARS people have been requesting more and more stable slots. I made the above post about 9 yrs ago the first time and have had to rehash it time and time again ever since.

It is like the same thing on co-owners for houses, do you think it should of remained as it was? After years and years of campaigning by various people, myself included, they finally changed the 'old' system of each char needing to be coowned on an account and then a limit on the coowners so that if you had 3 accounts you couldn't even coown them to those chars without running out of room. To what we have now. Where only one char on an account needs to be co'owned, to allow all chars to have access thus increasing the amount of 'co-owner' by a HUGE amount.

This is no different.

If YOU do not have a need for 125 (standard container stable) guess what, you don't have to fill it. Put your 21 animals in and leave it at that. But don't kid yourself in thinking that there are not a LOT of us, and I would bet the MAJORITY, who if given the freedom to use their skill would have a LOT more pets than they currently do. I doubt seriously that many would fill a stable of 125, I would on occassion when doing multple tames for getting 'best' in a particular class on my TAMING character. After that I would cull it out and keep the best, I would also use 125 when running player run events, as these pets would be on top of my 'normal' pets used for game play.

On the other 6 chars I may end up getting a variety of horses in dif colors, a full pack of pack llamas instead of one, mabye even buy my non-tamers a lasher or windrunner etc, certainly a lot more than their current 5/6 whatever it is, although in all likelihood on my non tamers I would probably not use more than 30, however someone else may want more, and you know what I DON'T CARE. It is a container. Point is it has NOTHING to do with you what I have or how many I use and I have yet to see ONE logical argument as to why a tamer has to be limited in the 'tool's of their gameplay.

Reason being there IS NO LOGICAL reason why stable slots are limited.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The same people that want 100+ slots also generally want to be able to instantly swap pets in the middle of battle. Tamers shouldn't be instant swapping pets in the battlefield from a list of 100+ in their stable.
I have made NO mention of this, and do not beleive it is appropriate to switch out pets in the middle of battle at 'will'. I havent seen or know of any 'method' to do this anyways, unless pet balls are used and they are hopeless as it is so never likely to be a solution. But even if they were 'improved' they would have to come with relative checks and balances and if they could be made to be able to summon and 'replace' pets that are out with a cooldown of one hour or whatever I would look at any proposal as put up and consider it on it's merits at that time. The idea could be useful so I would never just rule it out as you want to do.

The fact that a warrior can switch out the type of weapon they use 'at will' does make your strong objection seem a bit contradictory.

You have yet to actually give a logical reason to your objections other than YOU don't like it.

If I have 125 squirrels in my stable what is it to YOU?

In fact, how about you tell me what is in my stable NOW?

Guess what... You can't. Why? .......... Because it has NO IMPACT on your game at all. I could have one pet or 21........ if my stable allowed me to have 125 pets it would be the same... I could have 1 pet or 125.

Any objection to 125 slots in a stable, (125 being the standard UO container) is just objection for objection sake.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Compete how? How do you determine who the "top tamer" is? In both PvP and PvE, your skill as a player is more important than your pet's stats. And prepatch pets are so few and far between that saying that their existence prevents you from playing tamer is a bit silly IMO. No matter what template you chose, there will be people who have something that you don't have and can't afford. An expensive suit or a pet does not make them top anything
Honestly if you aren't pvping, there is no competition in this game. Everyone is doing their own thing. You can run around in NPC armor, hunting with a timberwolf and wouldn't be "losing" anything, or "failing" in any way.

I think people get far far too obsessed with min/maxing or being "elite" when it really doesn't matter in the slightest, unless that sort of thing is fun for you. If you want "stuff" making gold isn't hard, and you don't need to be amazing to do it. If you want to fight strong foes you don't need a perfect build or suit, and if you have like... TWO friends you can do pretty much anything even with mediocre set ups.

You don't need much to have fun.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is overload and kind of absurd. I hope that does not become the case.
It would make zero difference if everyone had a billion stable slots. Data storage is the only issue, and there is about zero chance that this fairly small player base would tame enough pets that it made any impact.

125 even if everyone tamed 125 pets on every character, wouldn't make much difference. How much more data does a pet require than say a sword? Any at all?

The only reason that makes sense is that it would be a data issue, but I just don't buy that. If somehow that is the only reason, I refuse to believe that 24 is the max they can handle, or that 125 would be too much.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would pay a buck apiece for some extra slots in a heartbeat. Sounds like a "win/win" . But then some people would probably cry and moan about how it's not FAIR! If they can't afford them, nobody else should have them. That sort of BS:(
Please don't give them ideas like this. It's not something we should have to pay for, unless it's like... 20 bucks for 100 slots. Even then I think it's obnoxious we have to pay to for it outside of subs.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - just like when managing the items taking up lockdowns in my house. Out with the old and in with the new.
But is this one of those situations? Sometimes you DO have to make tough choices, but there are reasons those choices have to be made. Like how I can't buy a gold plated rocket car because I have a mortgage to pay. There has to be a reason.

I understand why house lockdowns are limited, the game can only load so many items at a time without making you lag, but data not actively loaded into the world has no impact on game play, and there is no reason to limit it, let alone limit it to a paltry two dozen. This is especially true when you consider the fact that the taming system is now getting a complete overhaul, one that will lead players to want to get more pets. Why should they have to get rid of pets they have had for years to do so?

There is no upside and no reason. It just makes people pissed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Again, give me an example of how it would impact ANYTHING. The only outcome is a positive one: People get to tame more pets. Zero impact on game play. Zero impact on dev time. I don't subscribe to the concept of a "slippery slope" argument, because we should tackle topics one at a time, and evaluate each on its individual merit. If it's bad it's bad, if its good, its good. Swapping out pets in battle would have an impact on gameplay, and thus would be an idea that would have reasonable objections lodged against it. Extra stable slots on the other hand would have no impact.

The only objections I ever see basically boil down to "people shouldn't get what they want, because asking for things you want is bad" (i.e. "I see a lot of "lame responses" here, mostly based around "I want it now"), or "we shouldn't change the game, ever" or "nothing should ever be made more convenient for any reason" which it seems to me are simply examples of being a contrarian.

Why are "some" boosts ok... but not 100? No reason.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Time and time again with expansion after expansion the DEVs have added tamables... yet our stable slots remain minuscule... they don't even raise them in proportion to the number of added tameables...

When they added ML they added nothing to stable slots... yet we got reptalons and CuSidhe(Which come in a HUGE variety of colors...). Later they gave us Styngian Abyss.... adding even more tameables... with that they gave us... 2 slots.... yet they added Skree, Boura, Wolf Spiders and more... Extremely frustrating... Then they gave us Eodon... adding Tigers, Dragon Turtles, etc... and we got Masteries... adding a boot to the head of new stable space... which unless you get the Mastery and all.... gives you jack squat... and trying to get a Level 3 taming Mastery is either EXCEEDINGLY expensive costing more than any other Mastery on the market... or nearly impossible to get on your own.

It's my opinion that they enjoy making tamers frustrated and irritated... Perhaps they think that we'd be stupid enough to get rid of all our "rare" pets like Blaze CuSidhes or even our Dread Warhorses... GOT NEWS FOR YOU DEVS THAT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. I don't care how sparse the slots are we aren't giving those up...

No one is going to give up a rare pet... no purple bunnies will be leaving the stables... no dread warhorses will be set free... No... but make it frustrating enough and I'll tell you one thing that several folk will give up.... The monthly payment on something that causes more frustration than FUN.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
And on the topic of 'limiting classes' Tamers can seriously F right off with that argument. They are the LEAST restricted class out there.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's down to server space. All that info has to be stored somewhere, 125x pets all with varying caps/stats/attributes, is a lot to store and they're not realistically going to run more servers (cost themselves more money) just for this.
Sorry that arguement doesn't fly at all. Especially now. Most is now stored in the cloud anyways, not on servers, but think about it..... When I started in UO you could not place an 18 x18 on Oceania anywhere, and all that housing had over 2k storage in it, more when you take bank boxes, characters etc etc into account. Now I could go and place at least 200 18 x18's on my shard or more and on pretty much every other shard there are swathes and swathes of emtpy land. Storage is NOT an issue. It takes no more 'server space' to store the details of a pet than it does a legendary artifact, in fact the devs have added more and more and more 'attritbutes' and item information pretty much left right and centre (eg imbuing items/refinments blah) etc etc. It actually would take 'less' space to store pets than other items as you don't 'see' all the info on a pet until you actually get it out of storage, unlike other items where you require lots more info to be 'available' on mouse over. Storage space is not an issue, it is only 0's and 1's and the stuff doesnt dynamically load like all other items in the game, until a pet is out of the stable (where it is just text) on a gump, it is not causing any lag, and given the same amount of pets can bet got out of the stable irrespective of whether you have 1 stored or 125 it makes no difference.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Sorry that arguement doesn't fly at all. Especially now. Most is now stored in the cloud anyways, not on servers, but think about it..... When I started in UO you could not place an 18 x18 on Oceania anywhere, and all that housing had over 2k storage in it, more when you take bank boxes, characters etc etc into account. Now I could go and place at least 200 18 x18's on my shard or more and on pretty much every other shard there are swathes and swathes of emtpy land. Storage is NOT an issue. It takes no more 'server space' to store the details of a pet than it does a legendary artifact, in fact the devs have added more and more and more 'attritbutes' and item information pretty much left right and centre (eg imbuing items/refinments blah) etc etc. It actually would take 'less' space to store pets than other items as you don't 'see' all the info on a pet until you actually get it out of storage, unlike other items where you require lots more info to be 'available' on mouse over. Storage space is not an issue, it is only 0's and 1's and the stuff doesnt dynamically load like all other items in the game, until a pet is out of the stable (where it is just text) on a gump, it is not causing any lag, and given the same amount of pets can bet got out of the stable irrespective of whether you have 1 stored or 125 it makes no difference.
Just got a giggle, like the "cloud" is some mythical free storage space that costs nothing lol. I doubt UO gets free storage space where ever it is. It might be cheaper but I doubt it's free and they wouldn't be doing it at all unless they were trying to shave every penny off the monthly bills they could. I collect rares so I'd like unlimited house storage to keep a bunch of junk I don't really need or even want. It hurts my play style! I'm frustrated! :p

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO worked great pre pub 16 and real great pre AoS so should we just revert back to then? That is the dumbest reason I have ever heard to not change something.
QFT

This game has sunk so far from the game I fell in love with long ago...Pretty much only the name remains the same. We're getting dinosaurs and turtles and my pretty pony and dust mites crammed down our throats, people oppose reasonable additions to game (or say "add that to the store, it can make income"), and bugs and glitches and bad terrain issues just sit idle waiting to be fixed.

Personally I love the style and class of a WW, hoped this revamp would make him on a level with the GD.

*sigh*

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Any objection to 125 slots in a stable, (125 being the standard UO container) is just objection for objection sake.
No - it isn't.

I like UO being hard and being a game about making a lot of tough choices... it goes with your skill templates, gear, what you have in your house, what you spend your gold on... just about every aspect of the game. The same goes with deciding what to keep in your stables.

You're not entitled to 125 slots just because you want it.

It has NOT worked fine for years, that is the point.

Yes it has.

Please don't give them ideas like this. It's not something we should have to pay for, unless it's like... 20 bucks for 100 slots. Even then I think it's obnoxious we have to pay to for it outside of subs.
Yeah @Keith of Sonoma - how dare you like my post!

A buck per slot is just fine. You will live.

There has to be a reason.
There has to be a reason TO change it from the way it is now.

All I see at the moment is lame comparisons to bank boxes... and the demand that you want it and should have it because you say so.

I haven't seen a good reason explained from you either.

Most is now stored in the cloud anyways, not on servers,
I'm curious if you know how a cloud operates. Storage isn't limitless.

It's my opinion that they enjoy making tamers frustrated and irritated...
Yeah - it's a big conspiracy against tamers and only tamers.

:facepalm:

Why are "some" boosts ok... but not 100? No reason.
A boost from 20 something slots to 30 or even 40 something is a reasonable amount.

A boost to 100+ on every character "just because" is unreasonable.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No - it isn't.

I like UO being hard and being a game about making a lot of tough choices... it goes with your skill templates, gear, what you have in your house, what you spend your gold on... just about every aspect of the game. The same goes with deciding what to keep in your stables.

You're not entitled to 125 slots just because you want it.

Yes it has.

Yeah @Keith of Sonoma - how dare you like my post!

A buck per slot is just fine. You will live.

There has to be a reason TO change it from the way it is now.

All I see at the moment is lame comparisons to bank boxes... and the demand that you want it and should have it because you say so.

I haven't seen a good reason explained from you either.

I'm curious if you know how a cloud operates. Storage isn't limitless.

Yeah - it's a big conspiracy against tamers and only tamers.

A boost from 20 something slots to 30 or even 40 something is a reasonable amount.

A boost to 100+ on every character "just because" is unreasonable.
I have changed my mind. I NOW want a SUPER pet ball. One that will, upon double clicking, bring up all 125 pets in my stable, 175 if I have storage upgrade. After choosing one it should automatically stable my current pet and bring the "new" pet to me if bringing the new pet will put me over the "slot cap". Oh, I should also be in a state of "invulnerability" during this process, as it might take a bit and I surely shouldn't be attackable while changing pets.

I want this NOW!!! Because, well, I just want it. If I don't get it, then I will probably take my UO basketball home and go play somewhere else. SO THERE, TAKE THAT!!!!!

I think this just about sums it up. Did I miss anything? ROFLMFAO

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think this is a valid comparison. A hard choice like you are describing is having to decide whether you take a GD or a Cu (but not both) to a hunt. Limiting the pet slots is an archaic feature that was put in place as a reward for leveling you character when that still meant something. Right now all it accomplishes is limiting the time people play - and that's a bad thing. The more time tamers spend taming and training the less likely they get bored and quit.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't think this is a valid comparison. A hard choice like you are describing is having to decide whether you take a GD or a Cu (but not both) to a hunt. Limiting the pet slots is an archaic feature that was put in place as a reward for leveling you character when that still meant something. Right now all it accomplishes is limiting the time people play - and that's a bad thing. The more time tamers spend taming and training the less likely they get bored and quit.
I don't have an issue with control slots
I remember what it was like before them. But with all the New tamable creatures added since the last time stable slots were bumped, I would consider requesting the Devs review these as a valid request.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Flawed Logic sir. Think of every law that has been overturned, Slavery, Woman rights, etc etc would disagree with you. Throughout history man has seen flaws in the status quo and fought to change it. Those that were fine with the status quo were the only ones to parrot the slogan, "It has worked fine for years." Generally it was the oppressors that said this...just sayin'

I know it is haughty to akin gaming changes to RL issues but I am just trying to draw a comparison.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Flawed Logic sir. Think of every law that has been overturned, Slavery, Woman rights, etc etc would disagree with you. Throughout history man has seen flaws in the status quo and fought to change it. Those that were fine with the status quo were the only ones to parrot the slogan, "It has worked fine for years." Generally it was the oppressors that said this...just sayin'

I know it is haughty to akin gaming changes to RL issues but I am just trying to draw a comparison.

I'm ashamed to have read that comparison. Stable slots being limited to less than thirty doesn't rival slavery and oppression.

People who have to refer to such real historical struggles and oppression on behalf of asking for some more video game items really must be flailing for a good reason if that's the best they can do. Reconsider the term "flawed logic".

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"on the cloud not a server" LOLOLOL

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People really want to be able to swap out pets mid fight? Good God, just how OP do you want tamers to be?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I'm ashamed to have read that comparison. Stable slots being limited to less than thirty doesn't rival slavery and oppression.

People who have to refer to such real historical struggles and oppression on behalf of asking for some more video game items really must be flailing for a good reason if that's the best they can do. Reconsider the term "flawed logic".
Whose being haughty now {Sigh} ... fine for those more sensitive among us, I will relate my argument directly to the game:

Once again, failed logic....If everyone trumpeted the phrase, "Except that it has worked fine for years as is." nothing would change anywhere. We would be content with one land mass, keys to lock our houses, no dreads or greater dragons, no gargs (Although this might be proof your phrasing is correct), no spell weaving, no elves, no expanded stable slots at all, no doom, no imbuing (Again, you might be right here), the list is endless. Therefore simply saying, "Except that it has worked fine for years as is." as though it is some sort of end all defense to change is ludicrous. I think everything should constantly be reviewed and debated for the betterment of the game.