• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 Comes to TC1

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

I am sure this is going to come across way more harshly than intended.

I look at past things like High Sea and how it was implemented to make stuff to fire cannons, fish up lobsters- and look at the armor revamp and how overly complicated it is- and I now see this and feel that it is falling victim to the same thing as the previously mentioned items----- it appears to be designed to be overly complicated just to be complicated.

I can partly understand that you don't want people training up their pets in a few days by just beating on a shadow elemental. I get that--- but, the more of a grind you make the training--- the more that those that script are going to flourish.

Make the training feel like training. Make it a bonding with the pet. Don't make it so that every pet is going to have the same set of options and all that is going to matter is what skin the pet has all the screen- because they all have the same abilities / powers / options available to them.

I like the IDEA of what is being attempted- but like more than a few of the updates / changes to the game- this feels way over complicated.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
So it doesn't get buried under all the taming-specific posts here, I've continued my suggestion about mage summoned "pets" over in Publish 97: Mages.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So, is this a fully trained Greater Chicken?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Poor Abe...

Abe's getting the nerf stick.jpg

Kyronix : "Abe's getting the nerf stick"
Abe: NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Abe visits Shadowguard > Fountain....
Abe's getting the nerf stick 2.jpg

twas an interesting run to say the least.

R I P Pet-revamp!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can train pets to be extremely powerful without increasing its follower count, (I did this on purpose because the ostard is a pack instinct pet, it would be counter-productive to drop 1 pack bonus by making a 1 slot into a 2 slot pet) if I fully train my ostard, I'd only have 4 of them. because one would take 2 or even up to 3 slots.

Out of the imbuing menu you get after leveling a pet to 100%. the things that take the most points to increase, are stats Str Intel, Hp & mana (stam/dex are really cheap)

With that being said, HP can be low when your pet has 70s & 80s in resists. you'd only need to worry about things that Armor ignore, but mobs don't "Spam" specials, so technically you don't even need to worry about that... some of the triple damage pets can get kills on the ostards sometimes and obviously Slasher would take em out... but there's not really anything else in the game that would be difficult to fight with 5 of these ostards.

as a matter of fact, if my base damage increase on my pets didn't reset after I logged out, I bet you I could kill a Greater dragon with 0 ostard deaths, in about 4-5 seconds. likely won't even need to heal my pets lol...
Yeah someone replied as much, and I think obviously that's not right, and I can't expect it to remain, as an armored beefed up pack of pretty much anything would be pretty game breaking, as you note.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't think so. From what I get from all of it, the slots are calculated from the actual stats/skills/resists/damage/etc...
So it absolutely makes sense, that the slot req. doesn't necessarily increase when you train it, if you manage to keep below the threshold formula-wise.
Most probably this will also be the formula for calculating the slot reqs. for newly spawned mobs and also recalculating the new reqs., when opting in into the training process. (As it doesn't make sense to use different formulas here).
So tweaking that formula might affect quite a bit here.
Devs were revealing formulas in the past. Maybe @Kyronix can be talked into posting it here, so we can make suggestions of how to tweak it ;)
I'm just saying it's been outlined how game breaking a 5 pack of beefed up PI creatures would be, so I have faith it won't actually be doable when it's all worked out.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's fairly straight forward - the stronger the creature, the greater the value of each reward. In this sense, the "strength" of a creature is determined by all creature variables including all creature stats, damage, resists, abilities & AIs. In practical terms, any of the champions are going to give far more training points per reward than something like a rotting corpse.

We are still working on tweaking a training scheme that takes into consideration the fact that 1 slot pets cannot fight against higher level creatures and take advantage of the higher gains. As we continue testing and iterating we should have a solution for this. The feedback we've received thus far from those who have been so helpful on TC1 is incredibly useful, and we encourage everyone to hop on TC1 and check it out!
Also, does barding effect your pet's gains? In that case peacemaking would become a vital training tool.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay so...I've heard it several times..that this round of testing is JUST for time spent training....I'm sure once we nail that down, the second phase will be testing and tweaking all of the stats and skills and training points we get and how we can spend them.

Kyronix has said on many MANY occasions that this part of testing is specifically for training time, nothing else....I have every bit of faith that the stats and skills will be tweaked once we get that far.

Anyway...I am still having trouble getting training gains. I do not want all high-end pets...I like a variety...I have ALWAYS wanted a spider pet so I am very stoked that I will finally be able to have one..the issue is training the little guy as quickly as possible.

Boura's gave pretty decent gains...so I see a lot of boura pelt farming in my future ;) The higher HP Void Critters give 1-2% per kill but take roughly 20-25 minutes to kill..so while I can also be collecting void orbs and a decent amount of gold while doing it...I feel that spending 2 hours killing 4 mobs is kinda...:/ you know?

I feel that one a phase 1 training pet (Meaning a freshly tamed no skills added) should take considerably less time to train, at least from 0-50%.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so...I've heard it several times..that this round of testing is JUST for time spent training....I'm sure once we nail that down, the second phase will be testing and tweaking all of the stats and skills and training points we get and how we can spend them.
It's 2017 - it's probably time to get someone in house who can write a proper simulator...or even download the illegal script programs and give it a go to test out some of these mechanics instead of releasing them to TC in a form like this.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I hate to bring up what seems a bit petty compared to this other stuff, but just tamed a shadow wyrm and it has 283hps!! seriously??
Id always wanted one of those as a pet, now I have a 4 slot(!!) pet that is on a par with a Unicorn, whats the deal with that?

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix Consume damage is now broken, each time you try to cast it on a pet, it gets cancelled..... and does not allow you to use the mastery anymore
It works fine on pets that don't have training active. Once you have training active it auto cancels consume damage and as one. I guess they think they don't want us to be able to take an easy road to killing some of the higher level monsters as easily. Empowerment and berserk work fine on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am glad right now that at least poison breath deals poison level based on the bets poisoning skill. Tried it before and after and without poisoning it does relatively little. With max poisoning it deals level 5.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here we are in 2017 and STILL the damage pets and summons do and take is not differentiated in color in the classic client. This is confusing with your characters damage.
Can you please make these toggleable or change the colors for pets/summons? Make pets Blue/Green for damage given/taken or something so we can tell in battle what is damaging what. It is completely frustrating when you are a tamer that also has fighting or a mage with summons etc.

I can't believe you have time to make all the pet taming changes yet can't fix one of the basic mistakes of the game.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How do you get those other clients to load after using UOA ? I always get the message that I can't do that. No to detract, I just really am curious.

:pirate:
Double-click the icon on the desktop? Works that way for me anyway...

Not sure about running 2 clients with both accounts having UOA because I only have UOA on my main account

Abe is pretty beastly though lol, he needs a nerfstick.

Still having trouble finding good training spots for my low HP pets, any suggestions? I mean, where he'll gain more then .00000001% every 5 hours lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After some testing and them tweaking the gains gains due to feedback it's very easy to go from 0-100% interestingly(couple hours) no Champ spawns were hurt in my process from 0-100. So rest assured, you can still hide in Trammel and gain pets, and still have time to come to Stratics and troll away. We both do adore the art of trolling so much.. friends for life!

So the only Champ Spawns are in Fel, that's new to me.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
How do you get those other clients to load after using UOA ? I always get the message that I can't do that. No to detract, I just really am curious.

You can even run multiple clients WITH UOAssist on each. Just do it. :smile2:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Double-click the icon on the desktop? Works that way for me anyway...

Not sure about running 2 clients with both accounts having UOA because I only have UOA on my main account

Abe is pretty beastly though lol, he needs a nerfstick.

Still having trouble finding good training spots for my low HP pets, any suggestions? I mean, where he'll gain more then .00000001% every 5 hours lol.
Getting the first level is the hardest. After that it's pretty easy tbh. I mean granted, I haven't trained a cat or anything. The lowest I've gone is Windrunner, and he can now with heals be able to "eventually" take down Ancient Wyrms. The best advice I personally have is use the Stratics hunters guide and find the highest HP monster your pet can kill. Or even something that doesn't do a lot of damage that u can heal through. If the blue message appears you're gaining. Let him go till it says Nothing Happens. Then kill and move on. Then just keep trying to find higher HP mobs to fight. It's not about killing them, just gaining.

The real promising aspect of Windrunner even though that may seem strong he still hits for poop against other players. So yes he's a stronger mount now with more HP. He won't be killing players on the field. He just won't die in a flamestrike and few AI's anymore. It will make the VvV mounts that much better and people will actually want to grind those Essence gems or whatever. Having a mount with 120 Resist will be very nice for dismount ganks. I also have a feeling pvm characters are really going to like that you no longer 1000% need a greater Dragon. Consume on "almost" any imbued pet makes them very tanky.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Getting the first level is the hardest. After that it's pretty easy tbh. I mean granted, I haven't trained a cat or anything. The lowest I've gone is Windrunner, and he can now with heals be able to "eventually" take down Ancient Wyrms. The best advice I personally have is use the Stratics hunters guide and find the highest HP monster your pet can kill. Or even something that doesn't do a lot of damage that u can heal through. If the blue message appears you're gaining. Let him go till it says Nothing Happens. Then kill and move on. Then just keep trying to find higher HP mobs to fight. It's not about killing them, just gaining.

The real promising aspect of Windrunner even though that may seem strong he still hits for poop against other players. So yes he's a stronger mount now with more HP. He won't be killing players on the field. He just won't die in a flamestrike and few AI's anymore. It will make the VvV mounts that much better and people will actually want to grind those Essence gems or whatever. Having a mount with 120 Resist will be very nice for dismount ganks. I also have a feeling pvm characters are really going to like that you no longer 1000% need a greater Dragon. Consume on "almost" any imbued pet makes them very tanky.
See the thing is....my Unicorn (Training Level 2) and my Spider (Training Level 1) are both gaining at the same rate.

So the Uni is already past the first level and only at 2% after killing countless Lady of the Snow which Kyronix suggested I kill on that.

I did, however, notice that with the spider killing void creatures, once the Nothing Happens Message pops up it's done gaining on that particular mob.

So with one Lvl 1 pet and one Lvl 2 pet the gains are exactly the same.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See the thing is....my Unicorn (Training Level 2) and my Spider (Training Level 1) are both gaining at the same rate.

So the Uni is already past the first level and only at 2% after killing countless Lady of the Snow which Kyronix suggested I kill on that.

I did, however, notice that with the spider killing void creatures, once the Nothing Happens Message pops up it's done gaining on that particular mob.

So with one Lvl 1 pet and one Lvl 2 pet the gains are exactly the same.
Yeah he said yesterday on Test that they were coming up with a solution to make lower level slot pets gain faster or something like that. Or gain on mobs that aren't as strong. Cause honestly killing 10,000 bears isn't exactly fun lol. Which spider are you using?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah he said yesterday on Test that they were coming up with a solution to make lower level slot pets gain faster or something like that. Or gain on mobs that aren't as strong. Cause honestly killing 10,000 bears isn't exactly fun lol. Which spider are you using?

Dread Spider. He can kill the 4k HP void critters but it takes like 25 minutes :/ Bouras aren't as bad but lower gains and still take some time to take down for the little guy lol.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Spider. He can kill the 4k HP void critters but it takes like 25 minutes :/ Bouras aren't as bad but lower gains and still take some time to take down for the little guy lol.
Right but the key isn't killing its gaining. I'd suggest heading to the ancient Wyrms if you can keep him alive. In 25 minutes I went from 10-17%...give it a shot, maybe you can keep the bugger alive

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Right but the key isn't killing its gaining. I'd suggest heading to the ancient Wyrms if you can keep him alive. In 25 minutes I went from 10-17%...give it a shot, maybe you can keep the bugger alive

Oh he'd be dead in one chomp! he only has 126 HP lol....this is my problem...finding critters that don't hit hard but have good gains...he's gonna be pretty beast when he's trained...if I get there!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh he'd be dead in one chomp! he only has 126 HP lol....this is my problem...finding critters that don't hit hard but have good gains...he's gonna be pretty beast when he's trained...if I get there!
Try secluding a Wyvern at lighthouse...he said it took the whole mob into consideration. The Str, HP, and AI. So even though they are pretty weak they still have Dragon AI I'd assume. Or maybe hellhounds in Blackthorns dungeon. That gave me 4% but it was like an hour +

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the only Champ Spawns are in Fel, that's new to me.
We all know that some champ spawns are in Trammel. Here are two links to champion Spawns. Champion Spawns – Ultima Online Champion Spawns - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Oaks, Dragon Turtle, Sleeping Dragon are easy with a group and are pet friendly. You just have to kill a ton of stuff before the champion comes out. I think LS averages 2 a week that are formed in Gen Chat. There are plenty in Trammel. Here's another good link. Champion Spawn Altars - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Will be nice to train pets as a group.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

After opening UOAssist, you just open client.exe (can be found in your UO CC directory), although now you can open multiple UOA clients.

without the use of VMs =D

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After opening UOAssist, you just open client.exe (can be found in your UO CC directory), although now you can open multiple UOA clients.

without the use of VMs =D
WoW - that is neat :) I often run 2 or 3 clients, never knew I could run multiple uoa.

jjcappe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I managed to level up a dimetrosaur, but I'm only seeing stats, resists, increase magic caps, and increase combat skills caps as modifiable categories. Magical abilities, special abilities, special moves, and area effect abilities are all missing from the gump. Should I take that to mean that those options aren't available to this pet (e.i. the weight to add these would put it over the cap or something like that)?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, I keep hoping that something dreadful turns up on TC and they scrap the entire idea of a pet revamp, reworking things for the sake of reworking things isn't delivering new content, and only over complicates existing content unnecessarily.
Some of the worst crybaby **** I've seen on stratics and that's saying something. Everyone complains but no one wants anything to change. Impossible.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all know that some champ spawns are in Trammel. Here are two links to champion Spawns. Champion Spawns – Ultima Online Champion Spawns - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Oaks, Dragon Turtle, Sleeping Dragon are easy with a group and are pet friendly. You just have to kill a ton of stuff before the champion comes out. I think LS averages 2 a week that are formed in Gen Chat. There are plenty in Trammel. Here's another good link. Champion Spawn Altars - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Will be nice to train pets as a group.
I guess your reading comprehension is out in left field. Did you even bother to read the conversation? Yes I know that fel is NOT the only place with Champ Spawns if you would have read.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I managed to level up a dimetrosaur, but I'm only seeing stats, resists, increase magic caps, and increase combat skills caps as modifiable categories. Magical abilities, special abilities, special moves, and area effect abilities are all missing from the gump. Should I take that to mean that those options aren't available to this pet (e.i. the weight to add these would put it over the cap or something like that)?
The "Poison Breath" ability prevents you from adding anything new to that pet I guess.

I added poison breath to my "changeling" (a dog Imprisoned in a crystal) and the options for other special moves, magical abilities & area effects were removed.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once I set "magery mastery" on dreadmare, all combat menus gone. You can't have all at once.
And this mod is very useless as for now. I see spells my pet casting and it need more brains to use proper spells to use in combat :wall:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the imbuing testing I assume will take place when the skill gate comes active. Right now they re working ok balancing training. It's a long process honestly and might be better to add in quests. Like kill X amount of monsters with the pet to gain x amount of % before launch. Maybe add special ingredients that come as rewards for them. To raise strength you need 1 Pet Essence Gem and however many Strength Potions or whatever. Just clicking it and whallah is kind of dumb imo

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Maybe Unbound EVs will be useful for something again with this new publish.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess your reading comprehension is out in left field. Did you even bother to read the conversation? Yes I know that fel is NOT the only place with Champ Spawns if you would have read.
Understood perfectly. "We" included YOU. Then I threw in some links to support your sarcasm. My reading comprehension was fine on that thread. I was more interested in putting up some useful links that could help us all train pets when this goes live. Cazador is giving out useful info also. Since pets can eat power scrolls, Those fel spawns will be a great place to train them. And the OP pets can kill all the would be raiders. :pirate: Trammie pets FTW!

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So question for me is what is the percentage of? I am slowly getting it past the 1% but the only thing that is going up is Parry. This is on a trained pet copied to test. It started off on normal shard as a 2 slot once I started the training it went to a 4 slot. I have been fighting Tuski wolves and get the message about gaining. since starting on the wolves aboout 2 hours I am at 3%. My parry is at 91%. I did try to discord my pet to see what would happen and the Parry skill went to "--". It has not come back. I am still at 3% complete still get the message but havent raised in complete %.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So question for me is what is the percentage of? I am slowly getting it past the 1% but the only thing that is going up is Parry. This is on a trained pet copied to test. It started off on normal shard as a 2 slot once I started the training it went to a 4 slot. I have been fighting Tuski wolves and get the message about gaining. since starting on the wolves aboout 2 hours I am at 3%. My parry is at 91%. I did try to discord my pet to see what would happen and the Parry skill went to "--". It has not come back. I am still at 3% complete still get the message but havent raised in complete %.
In the current setup it's based on how hard the mobs you fight are. What's your pet. Maybe I can give a few pointers of how to gain quicker.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far from light testing I've noticed

Baracoon gave ~20% before "nothing happens"
Ancient Wyrms give ~1% per kill and more if you don't actually kill them and just use them to gain most I've got was like 8-10%
Great Ape gave about 22% before I stopped fighting him

So far I'd say once you hit your first 100% train all your resists to max, that's key in moving forward. Then Hit Points. I don't know though 100% if learning specials or AOE or and skills matters when u actually do gain them. As a matter of fact, I don't really get the menu at all just yet.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So far from light testing I've noticed

Baracoon gave ~20% before "nothing happens"
Ancient Wyrms give ~1% per kill and more if you don't actually kill them and just use them to gain most I've got was like 8-10%
Great Ape gave about 22% before I stopped fighting him

So far I'd say once you hit your first 100% train all your resists to max, that's key in moving forward. Then Hit Points. I don't know though 100% if learning specials or AOE or and skills matters when u actually do gain them. As a matter of fact, I don't really get the menu at all just yet.

So, you taking a fresh tame 1 slot to the Great Ape? I think part of the issue is the scalability for training seems off

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the current setup it's based on how hard the mobs you fight are. What's your pet. Maybe I can give a few pointers of how to gain quicker.

Vollem, I use two with a discord archer on production shard. I must be missing something as I do not see how to make anything go up. It just seems to go by itself

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
On my cus that I've been training I use the first level just to jack up hot point Regen hit points and phys resist. Makes training on high gain creatures much easier. Than I add whatever I please