• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Housing Decay Rates.

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The issue is that there is supposed to be a 5 day decay cycle and that is not the case. Forget about all the other aspects of whether you like the randomness..surprise factor or whatever. If you start messing with players houses and boats that are still actively playing the game, you are going to lose people.

Even though I do idoc...I'm talking about people losing their things and not intending to or not knowing this is still an issue. Last i knew it was "fixed", but judging by what i saw this weekend it is still very much broken.

I personally replaced a brit ship someone lost because of this issue. I had the means to do so and was glad to help a friend. Now I am in fear it could be lost again. I don't know if this is just housing or if all time schedules are on turbo boost again.

This issue needs a real fix or a statement in big, bold print from the powers that be saying if it decays it can go at any time. I am willing to give the team a lot of slack in most areas, but the housing system is a huge aspect of why we all play this game. If it's broken...that should be number one priority.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fixed? It was changed on purpose to break the back of the IDOC mafia. Has that happened yet? I am just so tired of stuff being changed on someone's whim. :(

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I want confirmation of the 3-13 hours as intended maybe I should ask someone who was at the guild conference in Florida?
If I want to know why the dev team bans shard shield dupers then rewards IDOC scripters who should I ask?

:(

blend

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I received a new house in a state that has a house
Old house is toward collapse
i know disturbance timer...
How safe my Old house ? 5day?

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I received a new house in a state that has a house
Old house is toward collapse
i know disturbance timer...
How safe my Old house ? 5day?
I suggest xferring it to a friend (someone you can trust) or to another account asap.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hmmm.. I am thinking of moving shards so i better activate a new account to build a house for a month to move all my items before allowing the old house to decay

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ITS DEFINATE RANDOM

Q a freind invited me last night to Legends....''to assist/help place'' there dream castle spot in trammel cove...yes the 'one of' castle in north cove...very nice spot indeed........and 'fill ya boots with loot' as reward....cant turn that down ....To be fair didnt expect much interest as Legends is a pretty quiet castle only population shard. But whatever the freind didnt know how long it had been GW....but no matter i kept an eye on it...by 11.30 pm [european time] it was still GW...i decided to call it a day...as i was not gonna sit there the whole night when sleep was the main objective.....thus advising freind it would be at least 6.30am if the old timers were back in place. Has it happens good wife gets up for work at 6.30 so i make good and get up with her...and sneak a quick look at said castle....that alas as been long fallen and replaced....

so yes even if it had turned idioc the moment i logged off...with the random placement timer aswell...must have been idoc around 5 hours tops...and thats if it turned the moment i logged off.....ksara...a new challenge for the Idoc squad...

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So guessing changes have been made to Idocs...and really cant see why Mesanna would not inform us of them????? only polite really.

Even if its a simple...yes we have changed the timers to be random...between xx hour and xx hour....whatever...just a comment would be nice

mysty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and nobody cares about the scripter ...i think you saw him last night ( with multible noob chars).
i wish he would try fel ;)

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cove Castle went IDOC at around 00:45 CEST. Around 5:20 (as a friend checked before going to work) it was already gone, and at 6:47 I could place on that plot against only one competitor with some luck (so it cannot have been fallen before 4:47, if the temporary placement timer is still as it should).
And it went greatly somewhen between 8 AM and 10 AM the day before, so the combined stage of Greatly and IDOC was much less than 24 hours as well. Given the fact, that the Fairly stage also was much less than 24 hours, there is nothing really fixed - at least not on that shard, should it be shard specific.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmm must have been 11.45 pm it went idoc [uk time....think u are +1] then and u say it was gone 4.20 am[uk time] so 4 hours and 35 mins at idoc stage ...and replaced to castle at 5.47.....so random temp placcment timer looks as it was intended still ...1 hour 27mins...is typical random....grats on the castle..alas my days/nights are long gone if its no longer timeable....cant think of anything worse than standing there for hours not knowing the fall time...was a lot easier logging in 5 minutes b4 the fall...LOL

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was earlier gone than 4:20 UK time - since at that time a friend found this place already empty and looted clean. So the estimation would be between 3:47 UK time (the 2 hours placement block gives this borderline) and a few minutes later its fallen.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so aqround 4 hours for the idoc stage in this case....really needs a dev to tell us whats changed and why...

hello mr or mrs dev???

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*bangs head against wall*

There is a thread in the rares collector forum about a free gold raffle for people who donate money to stratics, after a day or two of people asking for dev response Mesanna responded saying they would not allow it because it breaks the TOS. This thread has been here how long? three weeks? but yet there is still no dev response about a huge, game breaking issue for many people who's main source of gold is IDOC's. So apparently, dev priorities are now, no, we cannot allow free gold to be given away even though it hurts no one, but we can completely ignore a major issue that has been going on for weeks. "Shhh maybe if we are really quiet the angry people will go away". I suppose I will never understand our devs, or their priorities.

I haven't IDOC'd in a very long time so this does not affect me personally at all, however it is extremely irritating to see the devs completely ignore a major problem, while still finding the time to respond to things as minor as a free gold giveaway.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ksara....so devs????...whats changed and why??????????????

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That castle was greatly most of the day, went Idoc somewhere about 6:30 EST, dropped around 10:30 EST. So yeah, the timers are screwy still. Gonna have to go see who placed =)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix Still no response huh? ive been pretty patient as the others in this thread and the multiple other threads that are based on the same thing. Please respond and tell us if this is what it is or if this is going to be fixed. Thank you. and again, a PR person would probably help tremendously in situations like this. Ok @Mesanna gets off today because its her Birthday... :)

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not seeing the issue here.. Pay for your account.. Don't try to use the system.. And pay every 90 days. If you get a new house.. Move .. Don't wait... Get a second account or a friend to help you if needed.

As for idocers .. Wait it out or miss a few and spread the love. *puts on flame suit*

I have missed a few in the past few weeks... Also attended quite a few.

I wait them out.. If i can't wait i miss em.

I for one don't think it should drop at a set time you can set ur watch by. Takes the fun out of it.

Nothing in uo is like that. Why should idoc?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@azmodanb Its not whether or not its a good idea ... its the fact that they made changes or didnt and havent told us what they are. It would be like they changed the pvp rules on flagging and then didnt tell us what they were. It would be like they changed the rules of champ spawns and didnt tell us what they were.

If it is going to be random that is fine, we would just like an answer on whether or not this is supposed to be happening or if it is a bug.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since there still seems to be some confusion about how long it take for houses to fall I will provide a more detailed explanation.

First case is where your account is inactive for 90 days then becomes condemned.

Second case is where you trade an existing house or place a new house and the first house becomes condemned.

As stated in the Producer Letter houses will fall within 5 days. There are 6 states that the house will transition to within the 5 days. There is no defined time that a house will be in each state.

Decay Stages:

1. Like New
2. Slightly Worn
3. Somewhat Worn
4. Fairly Worn
5. Greatly Worn
6. In Danger Of Collapsing

So an example:

Day 1: Like New-> Slightly Worn

Day 2: Slightly Worn

Day 3: Slightly Worn -> Fairly Worn

Day 4: Fairly Worn -> Greatly Worn

Day 5: Greatly Worn-> In Danger Of Collapsing -> Drop

Another example:

Day 2: Slightly Worn -> Fairly Worn

Day 3: Fairly Worn -> Greatly Worn

Day 4: Greatly Worn

Day 5: Greatly Worn ->In Danger Of Collapsing -> Drop

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now for the better question... why do we have decay stages if they dont follow suit? why not just make it go in danger of collapse as soon as it goes into decay? I believe that the random stages will give people a false sense of security... mainly because it was one way for so long.

I recommend getting rid of the stages all together since they mean nothing anymore and just putting it "in danger" as soon as it is decaying...

However i really dont see the purpose in this change at all. Absolutely pointless.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just Posting a Response in another thread from @Bleak Explaining the New Idoc rules. Basically the stages of Decay mean nothing anymore. its 5 days the stages are completely random with in those 5 days.

I still wonder though if some of the idocs are jumping the gun and going 3 days due to some bugs. Please post below if you notice any houses going on a 3 day timer instead of a 5 day timer.

Here is the quoted post from @Bleak.

@Bleak "Since there still seems to be some confusion about how long it take for houses to fall I will provide a more detailed explanation.

First case is where your account is inactive for 90 days then becomes condemned.

Second case is where you trade an existing house or place a new house and the first house becomes condemned.

As stated in the Producer Letter houses will fall within 5 days. There are 6 states that the house will transition to within the 5 days. There is no defined time that a house will be in each state.

Decay Stages:

1. Like New
2. Slightly Worn
3. Somewhat Worn
4. Fairly Worn
5. Greatly Worn

So an example:

Another example:

Day 5: Greatly Worn ->In Danger Of Collapsing -> Drop"

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Furthermore i would like to add: If the stages are random, why do we have them at all... Did you not think it would give people a false sense of security? If they are random, just get rid of them and put in danger of collapse right when the house goes into decay. Too many people "know" the stages of idocs and will assume they are the same as always. Please make a more clear post like the one @Bleak has made on the UO.Com website so more people will be informed and not left in the dark with their house and items at an unnecessary risk.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
doesnt "within 5 days" mean that it doesnt have to be 5 days total? 5 days would just be max.

"within" could be anything up to and including 5 days, be it 1day, 3days, or the full 5.

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Houses on legends are not lasting anywhere near 5 days. They are falling 2 to 3 days max. We already had one case of someone losing a house because they didn't move quickly enough. Why not extend the second example to even longer then? Give people a week to move from one location to the next. This is silly, and people are losing items that are actively playing the game.

More than once this week if you had placed your new house on friday morning and planned on moving Sunday night your house would have been gone. I saw one fall in 32 hours. and yes it went through every stage and idoced. No one took it down early.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Since there still seems to be some confusion about how long it take for houses to fall I will provide a more detailed explanation.

Decay Stages:

1. Like New
2. Slightly Worn
3. Somewhat Worn
4. Fairly Worn
5. Greatly Worn

So an example:

Another example:

So the randomness is deliberate and permanent? That's great.... for scripters and gold sellers. The rest of us might as well forget it. Like so many things in this game anymore...

Congratulations, scripters and gold sellers. May the odds be ever in your... oh wait, they are. Carry on.

:facepalm:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Decay Stages:

1. Like New
2. Slightly Worn
3. Somewhat Worn
4. Fairly Worn
5. Greatly Worn

So an example:

Another example:

Thank you for a reply.
What purpose does this new way serve?

Why was this done? I was told to stop idoc guilds. How does this stop them if they cheat?
Do you not see how this helps scripters?
They park the bot and go away. Not only does the script pick up items for them it works 24/7. They are always present when it falls . NO matter when it falls.
Why are you helping cheaters?

With all due respect Bleak, and I do respect you. No named towel or sword will keep me in this game. I am in the process now of a severe downsize. Why would I give money to a game that bans cheaters one week and rewards them the next?

You have shown you can change the IDOC process.
Can you now stop any scripts from working at them?
If you can great, if not, please stop helping cheaters.

I am so amazed that the UO team thinks this is good.

On a good note. Thank you for the T-shirt. It will be a nice keepsake to remember the great part of UO.

Last edited:

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak You guys need to look further into this, This week alone, I saw houses WITH vendors been gone at FW stage!!
Most of us that like to do Idocs and use to follow their stages, Day by Day, can tell you that the current system is not working, Yes 5 days, I can see the houses going 5 days from SL to Idoc (5 Days) but than the Idoc to fall its taking between 5 hours to 14 hours on most of the cases..

Honestly, you guys Killed all the Fun of idocs, We all knew the time range that a house would go down, we had 100 of people all there, talking smash, releasing Harpingers and fighting for a Box, lol

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question I would like to see answered is, why did they change the idoc system at all?. It has been with us for years and interested players all knew how it worked. It looks very much to me that this is another system to join all the 'It wasn't broken but we fixed it anyway' systems. With again, little or no interest in how it might impact on us, the mushrooms. Who cares if a few players lose houses they will still get paid at the end of the month. Nothing changes in regard to the flow of information down to us poor plebs, we pay our money and get poor service, it is forever thus, we pancake and complain with little or no result. Anyone want to give odds on my opening question getting answered?

It is hard to give any credibility to the propounded theory that it was done to deter scripters, When you consider all the strenuous and concerted efforts they have made in that direction over the years. It is a little late to close that stable door, the horse is 5 miles down the road. Also as others have already pointed out, the 'NEW' idoc system is even more helpful to scripters than it was before, ordinary players don't usually have hours to camp a house in the final stage. Much easier to have a script tell you when something happens.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak Hey look, two more houses fell within 24 hours after entering decay. (One of which was again, the owner attempted to save by activating that account) It's a good thing we helped him move his stuff to another house for temporary storage.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow weve had a reply...about time....
ALAS
if its still 5 days...like it was b4...why have the devs changed the decay stages at all...i cant see any reason for this...if the total time is still going to be 5x24 hours 120 hours....what is gained having it stay like new for 48 hours then gw for only 6??? etc etc...i really ccant see why the changes have been implemeted it makes no common sense....and no i dont do idocs anymore unless...
1. invited to one near the so called end....
2. i stumble on one thats already fell ..it happens
I simply cant see the point if u cant work the time out...and even if u see the house in like new stage....u still wouldnt now how long its been like that....so could waste hours simply waiting around..lolz...and thats not my game.

*Hangs up his Legandary Idoc boots on his castle display case...as a Grand momento of the good olde days of past*

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bethany is correct, they are falling in 3 days not 5.

From this and previous conversations with them it has become abundantly clear the current Dev team has little knowledge of how the systems they keep changing actually work. Not to mention how scripting works since most of the changes they make seem to benefit Bots and punish actual Players. We players are quite knowledgeable so use us as a resource. Instead of messing with IDOC timers perhaps they should have fixed something actually broken like the fact that vendors are deleting instead of dropping when the houses fall. (I watched a queen dawn marble plate set go poof, it was sad)

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So when do we get the patch that totally stops all scripts at IDOCS? Soon?
They aren't interested in doing this. They don't care. I've said the solution before, it's pretty obvious.

1) Don't let unpatched clients connect to the servers.
2) Every few days release a tiny mini-patch that changes the data stream or whatever it is that patches change that break the scripting program. You can actually tell when it's broken sometimes because the IDOCers who rely on it stop showing up.

As for the IDOCs pretty much all of the ones I've done since the change fell in 3 days not 5.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as much as i hate to say it, messana did say she is aware scripting goes unpunished, there is nothing she can do to stop it, there is nothing the devs plan to do to stop it.

So if you cant beat em?, might as well adapt to this change?

I would have personally preferred NO VENDOR SEARCH NO VVV NO CONTENT OF ANY KIND NO GIFTS

Take the whole year to stop scripting. thats all i ask, and would prefer that to anything else the devs can offer to the game.

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to go back to the old system 5-14 hr timer doesn't make any sense. Who has that many hours to sit at an idoc......

Reactions: THP

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for the response Bleak! I personally don't think this change does anything except make it even easier for scripters to loot IDOC's since less people will be competing with them. The scripters can just leave their character in front of the house for days, never moving, while normal players actually have things to do....you know, unimportant things like sleep, work, and family time.

I truly appreciate your response though, we understand that dev time is limited and some things require more time and work than others, but if that is the case please tell us, we will understand. Telling us nothing for weeks just makes it seem like you guys are ignoring the players, and of course that upsets people.

Last edited:

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak Hey look, two more houses fell within 24 hours after entering decay. (One of which was again, the owner attempted to save by activating that account) It's a good thing we helped him move his stuff to another house for temporary storage.
Please provide accounts and dates when the houses fell to [email protected]. There are now hard limitations set on how fast a house can fall. We will take a look at your claim.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please provide accounts and dates when the houses fell to [email protected]. There are now hard limitations set on how fast a house can fall. We will take a look at your claim.

Bleak, it seemed like when the house and galleon decay rules first changed a few weeks ago, some shards were not operating under the same rules. At the time, that made me wonder if perhaps the decay was being accelerated by a "day" or some other period on some shards perhaps because those shards had been subject to an additional shard maintenance period or perhaps a shard "crash" in addition to their regularly scheduled maintenance period.

Can you please let us know, since you seem to be monitoring these threads about decay, whether or not we need to be extra vigilant and extra quick about getting things moved if we're trying to move out of a house that has been set into decay because of placing or accepting a new house, if there is a new publish during the decay period or if the shard has an unexpected down time?

Thanks!

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Alright, I will have them forward their info to this email. However from the way UO has always operated, we really don't expect anything to be replaced, given that there has always been a firm no-replacement in the event of lost items or pets rule in play.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I checked a keep on Tuesday 9-2-2014 in the middle of the day and it wasn't decaying. I checked it again today 9-5-2014 and it was already in the IDOC stage and fell at 3:10 Pacific time. That's going from not decaying to gone in 72 Hours or less. That's how fast they've been going for weeks. It's like all of the timers have been halved.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"within 5 days" in this case means the house will fall on the fifth day :).

I do not know others, but personally, I have a problem with such an extremely short time window for a House to fall.

Why ?

Because there have been times, and there WILL be times, when an account goes inactive NOT because of players will, but because of a number of reasons not depending on a player's will like a credit card expiration date forgotten to be updated, a bank not posting the charge for a glitch or who knows what other problem and so forth.

E-mails ? What if the player has ISP problems and does not get them for a few days ? What if there have been work or family problems or else making it not possible for a player to check the UO account related e-mail for a few days ?
There is a whole lot of scenarios where a player of a UO account may not get to know, in a window of just 5 days, that one's own account went inadvertedly inactive and the house got condemned....

Just to make it clear enough, I will say it again, a mere 5 days for a player to actually acknowledge that there is a problem and on top of that fix it to make sure that the account gone inactive goes back to active seem to me way, but WAY too short a time window.

And, when a player who DOES NOT WANT to quit playing UO looses one's own home and all of its contents because of a whatever problem might have happened making that account go inadvertedly inactive, chances are that most of the players suffering this heavy loss would not restart playing all over.......

So, do we really want to loose more UO players making Houses go "poof" in just 5 days ??

Personally, I think this time window is WAY too short and a big mistake that will hurt UO.

Personally, I would make the window way longer, at least like 2 weeks (perhaps even more like 3 weeks) to give ample time to all UO players who had their account inadvertedly go inactive be able to acknowledge it and fix whatever the problem could be, and past that deadline, then the House fall should be just random meaning, that the house could well fall on the 14th or 21st day but also several days past that....

This randomization, to avoid IDOC camping..........

Comments ?

Last edited: