• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Return of Counselors

Status
Not open for further replies.

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game
2014 Feb 24 21:10 GMT

We are going to reinstate the Counselor Program back into UO! At this time I would like to know if we have any players that would be interested in volunteering for these positions. Below are the requirements:

• Must be 18 years old
  • Must have an active account
  • Must have an account in good standing
  • Have great game knowledge
  • Desire to help and work with others
We are making a few alterations to make the program work with all the changes that have been made currently so it will not be active for a bit but if you are interested in being considered for a volunteer Position please email [email protected] with the following information:
  • account name (no passwords)
  • shard you play on
  • time zone you live in
I understand most of you have your accounts full of characters so you will be given a work account for this task.

Continue reading...

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty awesome. Look forward to seeing more on this. I know it's not been very long, but i'm pretty impressed by things since Broadsword took over.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Very good move!

Thank you!

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was a counselor not sure if I would want to be one again, I would have to think on that. But other than that I am impressed with the direction we are heading

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, maybe. But there's nothing complicated about running a volunteer program. This whole site is operated mostly by volunteers, as are a lot of sites out there. Other MMOs have volunteer positions also. It's easy to do, EA just couldn't be bothered with it after the unpleasantness with the first run.

My opinion is that counselors are a relic of the past in better times when UO had a thriving playerbase and the GM queue was so full it was good to have the extra hands around to help. These days, most players are veterans and I don't think the demand is really there to even warrant bringing them back.

Perhaps if their role was changed to get more involved with providing events or content tailored to each shard, but that's more of what EMs are for. Meh.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Some people have long memories.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, maybe. But there's nothing complicated about running a volunteer program. This whole site is operated mostly by volunteers, as are a lot of sites out there. Other MMOs have volunteer positions also. It's easy to do, EA just couldn't be bothered with it after the unpleasantness with the first run.

My opinion is that counselors are a relic of the past in better times when UO had a thriving playerbase and the GM queue was so full it was good to have the extra hands around to help. These days, most players are veterans and I don't think the demand is really there to even warrant bringing them back.

Perhaps if their role was changed to get more involved with providing events or content tailored to each shard, but that's more of what EMs are for. Meh.

I don't see how it could be considered a bad thing. . They are bringing in Volunteer's, its not like they are wasting money or dev time.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't really say it was a bad thing. Just... it won't be like how it was, either for players or counselors themselves. I wish it had happened sooner than it has. The concept is cool though and it's about time those within the community were empowered to help out more than they already do as regular players. Even just seeing more players around towns in and around Counselors Halls would probably make it worth it, lol.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everybody pretty well knew about the lawsuit.

Hopefully people can understand the meaning this time on the word "Volunteer".

Looks positive but hopefully these positions are moderated by higher ups from any type of an abuse.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Awesome! In my opinion this was one of the best systems ever put in game, it allows the GM's to handle the important and complex problems instead of having to respond to things like "my pet died how do I make it alive again"

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm actually at a loss for words so I'll say, with such great joy............... Thank you !!!!! :heart:

We're gonna get some newbies in game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Below are the requirements:

• Must be 18 years old
  • Must have an active account
  • Must have an account in good standing
  • Have great game knowledge
  • Desire to help and work with others
4.5/5.. I lack the desire to work with others. :( If there's ever a position to roam the servers deleting bugged, broken, and leftover EM things I'll be the first in line though.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yippeeeeeeeee....
What do counselors do?? well.......... to put it in a nut shell... We help our fellow players with issues in the game with information, some common sense, and understanding of the fustration of the issue. When warranted we assist with stuck pets, items , and mediate arguments.. We call in the GM's when nessasarry and always have a happy smile. Now I wont go further as whats needed may be more involved. But it's a welcome sign for this.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
4.5/5.. I lack the desire to work with others. :( If there's ever a position to roam the servers deleting bugged, broken, and leftover EM things I'll be the first in line though.
What I wouldn't give to be given the ability to "clean" my shard..... to clear all the paintings, statues, and watertroughs as well as the other junk still littering it ...... like the 100's of pieces of "rubble" stuck still all over New Magincia... etc...

I've always said give me a DEV for a day and I'd show them what we see in game.... the things that make us sad... things that need fixed... things that are "ugly"... "Broken".... left undone.....

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am extremely pleased this has come to fruition. As a former companion, I broached this topic with @Mesanna at the 15th anniversary party before a crowd of players, and she emphatically proclaimed that something like this will never ever happen again. I am so happy Mesanna & Broadsword could make that which was believed impossible possible again. At that time I posed the question, I mentioned how I'd like to see this implemented in a way that recognizes veteran players who willing volunteer in manner similar to how the Humility virtue was originally intended as lined out here: http://uo.stratics.com/content/virtues/humility_archive.shtml

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is verry good and awesome to see happen again!! SO far Broadsword is really looking awesome to me!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We as Counselors took a good deal of the small stuff off the GM's so they could get to the heavy duty issues... I'd like to see a bit broading of some powers to aid a bit more indepth. but I happy this has become a waking dream.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just need to add an option to chat. To be able to be in two channels at once. General and Help. Also need the GMs to start insta banning gold site spammers. Well that was all I seen on Help last time I needed a break from the Fel little light saber belly poking contest that floods General chat. All a new player needs to know is how to get on chat. If those logged in ignore another players questions then that shard is on a death path. And if the big wigs log in on a noob account and play the part. They could reward the player that helped with some SWAG. Word gets out that some Dev played noob and rewarded that player that helped with a purple horse eth. New/lost players would never get ignored on chat again. K.I.S.S.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Great news, It was a sad day, when we lost our blue robes. I don't know if I can affort the time now but I look forward to see the counselors back and I hope Siege still will be able to have counselors who play Siege too as you need to play the shard to understand the special ruleset to be able to help.

Even when a counselor do not have alot powers, there is still alot they can help with and sort what really need a GM. If you know the game, you may be able to help even without GM powers, just with advice the player. I do my part in helping new players on Siege but I know, there is players who get lost if they are not lucky enough to find someone to help with advice.

I see one big problem. We do have the help channel and turial accounts can only join that channel, however most of us on Siege is using General channel and as we only can be in one channel at the time, we may not hear their call for help. I would love a changes so it is possible to be in more than one channel at the time.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many years too late.
Yep, too late for EA, but not too late for Broadsword. ;)
I think that new studio already pointed out that they are really willing to make some serious changes for UO!
Can't wait to see whats happening next... WTG, Broadsword Team!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so we WILL get a Councillor to give us a box reply instead of GM...

still its good news there still investing into our beautiful game...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It had nothing to do with EA couldn't be bothered with it and was more about the lawsuit from the last volunteer program.

Between this and people saying they had no powers.... it's amazing the rose colored glasses people wear or see what they want to see.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent news! Can't wait to see their roles in the coming future.

I'd think that would be a bad idea. Would only be a matter of time before some proper shard history would be deleted.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everybody pretty well knew about the lawsuit.

Hopefully people can understand the meaning this time on the word "Volunteer".

Looks positive but hopefully these positions are moderated by higher ups from any type of an abuse.
I remember it.. I still don't understand it. The word volunteer seems pretty clear in it's meaning to me as well.
I am pretty excited about this program coming back myself!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I happen to know where one of the old counselors is lurking, I wonder if he might be interested.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent news! Can't wait to see their roles in the coming future.

I'd think that would be a bad idea. Would only be a matter of time before some proper shard history would be deleted.
Yes, the oh so historical stew, the door that got banned from a house and the house decayed years ago, the static exploit statues and misc items... You see, that's where "Have great game knowledge" comes in. Some of us have it and know the difference between old Seer decoration and stuff that should be cleaned up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, the oh so historical stew, the door that got banned from a house and the house decayed years ago, the static exploit statues and misc items... You see, that's where "Have great game knowledge" comes in. Some of us have it and know the difference between old Seer decoration and stuff that should be cleaned up.
Exactly.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully counselors wont be able to "travel" to any player they choose but only to the ones that are needing help (ie, the ones that sent a page) and they shouldnt be able to enter in private houses unless the owner of such houses sent a page. I wasnt playing back in 98/99/2000 so i dont know if they could do this, or if they can hide like the rest of the staff (em, gm, etc) but well thats another no-no imo, they shouldnt hide. Mmm what more.. ah yes, they shouldnt do it on a shard where they dont really play.
Anyway, I welcome the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.