• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I have a min to wait for an update.....

If this was done because of a dupe then( remember this is all speculation)

1) Why one shard?

2) What does this solve by reverting one shard?

3) The dupe would still exist?

4) Chars that did xfer to other shards with the dupes would taint the other shard right?

5) Does Atl the only shard that is the dupe shard only?

Ok then lets go with this also.......

Somebody mention ( sorry forgot who) that testing out Pubs on TC1 and all and being on Origin. Did anyone think besides the true handful of players that do actually test for bugs that

1) A few that are dishonest and dupe hope the bug get through all the testing so they could benefit?

OR

2) was the bug found after the publish to all shards?

I am incline to go to question number one on that. Only reason why it seems more logical. Then again it's all speculation.

So what does Mythic do now with these so called offesnders that caused this issue ( if this was the cause)

1) Ban them for good?

2) Actually step up and start making examples?

3) Make it a legal case since they may be losing a large amount of money (subscriptions) because of a couple of players?

In the end the "WHOLE" UO community will pay for this in some way which is the sad part. Other players cheating or actual hardware issues this has caused a huge headache for he gaming community. I truly understand players frustrations because there are more than just a few pixels invovled. Actual items bought and used liked tokens as an example, with real cash from the Origin store is mixed in as well. 30 day game code truly wont cut it. Then again EA doesn't have to do anything besides that since they state of no replacing items. We have already seen that from the customizing house glitch of recent.

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I had a second account open during rollback time frame that is now closed since I decided to just stick out 1. Do I get those 2 weeks back since its like they never happened? Or will I get my month for that account too since it fell in the time frame?

Man EA is just giving me the shaft today aren't they! :arr:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ever train a character during power hour, or before, such as I did with SIx and poisoning, then have some idiot black hole the servers and force them to revert. Back then we also had stat loss, THAT was a revert. And that sucked....skill gain and char building was 100x's harder then than now. But yes Origin has always got it bad too.
No I wasn't here for power hour but I started Origin the day it came online, made a tamer selling horses for 50g a pop to ppl so I could buy my luna house :) got the last spot in Luna too! But we've had our share of reverts..some of them worse then others.

Feel bad for what everyone is going through..not sure a game-wide revert would fix things but I wouldn't be upset if it happened..as long as I got my little Charlie Brown Christmas Tree and my Infected..INFESTED...Tree that I shard-traded for...I would be happy :)

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I wasn't here for power hour but I started Origin the day it came online, made a tamer selling horses for 50g a pop to ppl so I could buy my luna house :) got the last spot in Luna too! But we've had our share of reverts..some of them worse then others.

Feel bad for what everyone is going through..not sure a game-wide revert would fix things but I wouldn't be upset if it happened..as long as I got my little Charlie Brown Christmas Tree and my Infected..INFESTED...Tree that I shard-traded for...I would be happy :)
In my next trip back to atl from catskills I will bring you a infested tree , I will pm you when its there , be a few days though want to let the dust settle

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly,

If you have never been hosed out of gold or a item because of a revert, you are either a trammie, or have had it coming. Sad but true.
Because as we all know reverts never affect Tram. :danceb:

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, for one, am giving thanks.......I lost a bunch of stuff when Atlantic went down, and I was off my bug, which was holding alot, as I was redecorating. When Atlantic came up........it went back by 15 minutes, enough for my bug to go wild overnight. I got my stuff back...........as well as a mishap on a ship.......so, I say thank you.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I am glad that when I left the office today at 3:30pm today no further dev postings happened and it is now 9:43pm and no further dev postings have happened so I have missed nothing. I was the first to call for a total revert and I think it still stands.

What a total fail. Thanks for stepping up folks, your one short paragraph has left everyone with more confusion, dread and a clear lack of leadership.

I am sorry for those that got hammered by this and I am sorry for those that won with lucky transfers. I would watch my accounts as, clearly, you have duped by default and are now a rampant hacker.

The team had better come up with some statement tomorrow about what the go forward plan is.

Revert it all, it's lame but the correct thing to do. I hate to quote Spock in a time like this because it's cheesy and full of nerdyness but "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Revert.

Last edited:

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I am glad that when I left the office today at 3:30pm today no further dev postings happened and it is now 9:43pm and no further dev postings have happened so I have missed nothing. I was the first to call for a total revert and I think it still stands.

What a total fail. Thanks for stepping up folks, your one short paragraph has left everyone with more confusion, dread and a clear lack of leadership.

I am sorry for those that got hammered by this and I am sorry for those that won with lucky transfers. I would watch my accounts as, clearly, you have duped by default and are now a rampant hacker.

The team had better come up with some statement tomorrow about what the go forward plan is.

Revert it all, it's lame but the correct thing to do. I hate to quote Spock in a time like this because it's cheesy and full of nerdyness but "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Revert.
So lemme get this straight there are more people on Atlantic then all other servers combined ?
Again what exactly does a revert of all servers do ?
And if its the same old duped items that everyone has said this is just a drop in the bucket as far as duped items are concerned ....

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Revert.
I don't understand how there can be any option other than a full revert. Items have been Duped, Characters have been lost into the Void, and legitimate transfers of items have completely vanished and there is only one way to fix all of that.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ATL has turned into the mall of UO. You have to enforce a element of security for the game and, unless anyone can do better, the only option I can think of is reverting the whole thing. Give a better answer, I would much rather have anything happen but since it has been the default in the game that ATL is the hub you can't screw the whole selling enviroment just because it is painfull. Rip the bandage off fast or slow but it's coming off. The team HAS to promote a feeling of safty for all of us(moron's like myself, good guys like HonorableAdventurer and shard hoppers like the rest in the thread) or else the economic pains might destroy the UO commerece even more. What would it be like if no one bought stuff on other shards to sell on ATL and no one bought stuff on ATL to bring to the markets....even worse than now I think.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand the reasoning behind the desire for a full revert but I have to disagree. This is their mess, let them clean it up one bit at a time, until they get it right.
How? Do you recall the magincia error, I seem to recall a person posting here saying they were left high and dry....

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand how there can be any option other than a full revert. Items have been Duped, Characters have been lost into the Void, and legitimate transfers of items have completely vanished and there is only one way to fix all of that.
So a full revert will restore everyones Chars ? (While costing other people theirs) The full revert will get rid of all duped itmes in game or just the few that were duped during this mishap and not the hundreds of thousands ?

People on other servers have made chars in the past 12 days lets be real here it doesnt take long to train a char these days ... Someone plz explain to me why everyone should lose in this scenario

Last edited:

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope there is no revert. I lost a whole auction full of rares I sold and took the gold on Atl. About a bill total. I would get my rares back if there was a revert but it is just not fair to everyone else. It is almost childish to say that oh well we went thru it all other shards should have to. Are we all adults here? I mean really. It was a unfortunate event but its time to suck it up and move on. Who cares if there are a few more rares out there, it is really small in comparison to thinking about reverting everyone 2 weeks because of a few rares and "if it happened to me it should happen to everyone" opinion's.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ATL has turned into the mall of UO. You have to enforce a element of security for the game and, unless anyone can do better, the only option I can think of is reverting the whole thing. Give a better answer, I would much rather have anything happen but since it has been the default in the game that ATL is the hub you can't screw the whole selling enviroment just because it is painfull. Rip the bandage off fast or slow but it's coming off. The team HAS to promote a feeling of safty for all of us(moron's like myself, good guys like HonorableAdventurer and shard hoppers like the rest in the thread) or else the economic pains might destroy the UO commerece even more. What would it be like if no one bought stuff on other shards to sell on ATL and no one bought stuff on ATL to bring to the markets....even worse than now I think.
Understood, but again I think I have to disagree. They should clean it up and make it right, until they are done. I can't think of a better measure to ingrain in their minds that they need to be more careful with pushing publishes. On the other side, I don't think it would be a bad thing if each shard had its own playerbase and economy. But, this is the system we have now. Now they see what the potential downside of this system is. I do, in a way feel sorry for the team, because this is just gonna be a huge logistical nightmare, and they don't look all that great to us at the moment, and it isn't going to look good to the suits when it has to be explained either. I am content to await further word. I just came back from taking a break three months ago. Taking another one for awhile wont be all that big a deal. :/

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How? Do you recall the magincia error, I seem to recall a person posting here saying they were left high and dry....
Well, the thing is if they fail to make it right, one would hope the players affected have the good sense to express their displeasure in the most bottom line oriented manner. Sad, but true.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just so it is said again, a revert would only harm me personally. I would lose time, effort and rewards I managed to get yet I would gain nothing for any of my accounts. That said I think it's the correct thing but I will attempt to stay out of this as best I can till either a dev posts or I get tired of it and start all over again.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A full revert will:
1) Restore people who lost charcters due to transfers
2) Eliminate items that were duped due to transferring off Atlantic
3) Return items to to those lost in the transferring to Atlantic

The shards are not separate they are interconnected because of Transfer Tokens with the exception of the shards you can't transfer off of (Mugen & Seige).

Unless they can address the issue of shard transfer then a full revert is the only thing that can restore balance to UO.

Last edited:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand that a revert of all shards is the easiest way to restore balance. I just dont see the need for it to be easy for them.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A full revert will:
1) Restore people who lost charcters due to transfers
2) Eliminate items that were duped due to transferring off Atlantic
3) Return items to to those lost in the transferring to Atlantic

The shards are not separate they are interconnected because of Transfer Tokens with the exception of the shards you can't transfer off of (Mugen & Seige).

Unless they can address the issue of shard transfer then a full revert is the only thing that can restore balance to UO.
1) What about the people who have made chars on other servers in the last 12 days ?
2) What about all the hundreds of thousand duped items and gold before this ?
3) What about every other servers items and pets and plost and ect that have been aquired in the last twelve days ?

I dont transfer , I dont have a char on Atlantic so none of this is worth me losing twelve days over unless it was to get rid of every duped item in the game then I would be willing to start fresh from day 1

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand that a revert of all shards is the easiest way to restore balance. I just dont see the need for it to be easy for them.
What is this balance everyone speaks of ? Should I have chosen the light or dark side of the force ?

The only balance I see from a full revert is a few kids got their knees scraped on the playground so lets push the rest of the kids down so we all have scraped knees ....Misery loves company

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't say it's just effected Atlantic...

It's effected all shards because they're all interconnected. It's effected me on Europa. Where is my character with 1B items on Europa? Revert that too...

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't say it's just effected Atlantic...

It's effected all shards because they're all interconnected. It's effected me on Europa. Where is my character with 1B items on Europa? Revert that too...
I organized my bods and to you that may be a small feat but to me it was a task waiting to happen since bods came out ... Although I do feel bad for your lost items and char I do not wish to lose my 12 day progress..
One reason why I have never transfered because I have never wanted to place what I consider my valuable items in jeapordy

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I know that the whole UO staff will be working over time on this. Due to a down time in events, many of my friends decided to transfer billions of gold in items they either got at the event or paid for, and now can't find their transfers, I want to help them. I lost billions in items from 3 transfers that other players transferred for me at least 3 that I know of so far. I wish the UO Staff all the best under the current situation, probably the worst holiday for them ever. I feel really bad for everyone. Good luck to everyone.

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now that you've proven you can roll back to a previous date, can you start a new shard, roll it back to 2002 and I will pay $100 and a monthly subscription on top for access to it. In Canadian funds since our dollar is worth more.

Cheers! And Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back to this game about a month ago after being gone for almost two yrs.
I transferred my favourite char to Atl from Chessie on Dec. 13. Since the rollback was from Dec 5, you'd think I'd be okay, right? Wrong.
He's gone.
I had packed up everything of value from every shard that I had it on and sent it all to Chessie then went to Atl on my main.
The house that I placed on Atl is no longer there, but another one is and it's not owned by me.
250 mil in gold that I worked hard for is gone.
All my whispering roses from my friends and family, none of whom play anymore, are gone.
All my soulstones are gone along with the skills that were on them.
My pigments, scrolls, resources...all gone.
My robes and cloaks are all gone (umbra, hooded shroud, event) and multiple rares and items too numerous to name with sentimental value of better times in UO.
All I have left is junk and some seriously neglected chars that need a lot of work to get going again.
A month of free game time play can in no way compensate me for this, at least as far as i'm concerned.
I did what Tina Small said, found my translog file and made a copy. I will be sending it to Mythic on a regular basis for a while until I either get my char back or I quit.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well, since there has been Zero communication, i sure hope that those who've tried to make a recovery of their items tonight don't lose all they've worked on.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back to this game about a month ago after being gone for almost two yrs.
I transferred my favourite char to Atl from Chessie on Dec. 13. Since the rollback was from Dec 5, you'd think I'd be okay, right? Wrong.
He's gone.
I had packed up everything of value from every shard that I had it on and sent it all to Chessie then went to Atl on my main.
The house that I placed on Atl is no longer there, but another one is and it's not owned by me.
250 mil in gold that I worked hard for is gone.
All my whispering roses from my friends and family, none of whom play anymore, are gone.
All my soulstones are gone along with the skills that were on them.
My pigments, scrolls, resources...all gone.
My robes and cloaks are all gone (umbra, hooded shroud, event) and multiple rares and items too numerous to name with sentimental value of better times in UO.
All I have left is junk and some seriously neglected chars that need a lot of work to get going again.
A month of free game time play can in no way compensate me for this, at least as far as i'm concerned.
I did what Tina Small said, found my translog file and made a copy. I will be sending it to Mythic on a regular basis for a while until I either get my char back or I quit.
Yep, that sucks. Sorry man. Hope you do get resolution and restitution for the time spent to make it right.

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Mayans were right.. December 21, 2012.. This Friday.. will mark the end of Sosaria as we know it.

Long live Mondain the Wizard.

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
okey dokey.

so lets all take a deep breath here.
breath in through the mouth and out through the nose.... let all the bad energy leave your body as you breath out.

ok, so while i do enjoy setting a new record for dishing out warnings and moving posts and slapping people when they go over the line this is getting hectic!

so lets all count to 10 before we post and leave trolls under the bridged where they belong, eh?

from here on in if i have to move posts i will tack on demerits instead of just a warning as im gonna consider this a warning to all those who are pushing the envelope tonight (and you all know who you are!)

also, while we all are feeling the pain of the latest shooting in the states lets leave that stuff out of our posts here as they are way off topic and a lot of people are here to get away from that real life stuff.

ok, here we go....

BEGIN!

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG. I'm speachless, last week I sold 2 items for Atlantic gold (Mesanna mask and event armor tunic) and transfered (thanks to Cotton) a bag full of rares to Atlantic. My plan was to hang out on Atlantic for a couple of weeks, pick up some stuff not normally availible on my shard, then head to Hokuto for the rares fest. Sell some items, buy some items, then return to my home shard of Chesapeake. Now all that stuff is gone.. just gone. I am asking, no begging for all the shards to be reverted the same. People are saying they don't want this. Why? Because they will lose 12 days of gameplay? I have literally lost 12 years worth of items. I am completely beside myself. I know I'm not going to be the only person with a story like this. Please, please, please revert all the shards.
An update, and hope for others.

A week and a half ago I contacted CottonEyeJoe because he was xfering from Chessy to Atlantic and i wanted to see if I could hitch a ride for some items (my plan was to eventually take the rares and some gold from Atl to the rares fest) he was gracious enough to take them for me free of charge. He did the xfer on the 8th. After the revert today, I had counted those items as lost. He contacted me to tell me that he was able to page in game, and have that xfer completed! He then gave me my items back!

**I was just now contacted by Outcry, whom i sold an item to on Chessy for Atlantic gold. He went way out of his way to pay me on Atlantic again, as the payment had been reverted.

These 2 outstanding players went out of their way to make a horrible day immensely better. I literally can not sing their praises enough. I know that there are people on these boards that look down on the "rares community" but I can tell you right now, it contains some of the most honorable people you will ever encounter. I am now only one transaction away from having the majority of the gold/items i feared lost returned. Way better than 30 days gametime. Thanks again Cotton and Outcry, you guys rock!!!

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I totaly understand the anger and pain all my Atlantic brothers and sisters feel right now - if this would have happen on my main shard(s) i would be in pain too..
I hope there will be a solution for all of you - i hold my tumbs...

As far it goes for a total revert - no...this would cause a total chaos and what i would call the Armagedon for UO - in my business i learned how to isolate a major problem like this and concentrate on it without affecting other parts of the business - if your main warehouse software crashing, you have to isolate the problem and build emergency solution around it to keep a 2nd level customer service up and keep the business up as good as possible - you wouldnt shut down ALL your warehouses because one had a problem, even it is your main warehouse...

I dont say i would quit if they revert all shards, but i would need a hughe amount of time just to reorganize everything again i did - i did not do anything to or from Atlantic for a fair amount of time so i cant think of having lost anything - so this wont hit me in any way - but a total revert would - so why would a company risk it to make everyone else who is in the same situation like me, angry with a total revert?

Again, i hope all of you that got hit will get their items back...even this might take a long time, but in the end you would be happy again...

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, an update on my situation, having finally got hold of the person who transfers stuff for me I asked her to just check her Atlantic character in case she still had my stuff from the transfer. Even though I took possession of it on the 11th or 12th I was not sure when the transfer took place on her end. To my good fortune when she logged in she was in transfer limbo and luckily enough for 3 of us Oceania players she still had our stuff. So now other than a lot of work on my normal 'jobs' runebooks, fighting, loss of sales vending, losing tons of time crafting etc etc I can replace all that work, given a little time, on Atlantic shard. While it still hurts to have to redo all that stuff, at least it isn't the loss of 6mths worth of work and more than 50% of my income for the year.

I still believe the fair thing is a revert as I know how absolutely sick I felt about losing my stuff. Even though I am now counting my blessings it doesn't mean the principle of the whole thing has changed due to my circumstances having changed. (A revert now would actually be detrimental to my Oceania side of things. I used a mythic token on Oceania about 5 days ago to create my new T-Hunter. She is nearly maxed on every skill etc etc I would lose her with a revert, but it is still something that is replaceable, I have the details of my code purchase and tho it would be pain getting that replaced it is still basically a loss of TIME, on training and suit making etc).

Even so, just because I am now reasonably OK, there are a lot of others who are being forced to pay for something out of their control. I am amazed by the selfishness and callousness posted by some people directed towards those players who have lost masses of stuff.

This is a sad day for UO and the response to revert just one shard when all shards are now so interlinked was a very poor move on behalf of the UO Team. It is a bad decision that followed a bad breakdown and just made it worse.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now that you've proven you can roll back to a previous date, can you start a new shard, roll it back to 2002 and I will pay $100 and a monthly subscription on top for access to it. In Canadian funds since our dollar is worth more.

Cheers! And Merry Christmas
Looked the publishes up on UOGuide, that's just prior to AoS , I'll add another $100 and pay the higher dollar amount as well.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am very sorry for any who have lost items, characters , homes, etc.. It had to be very bad for them to go back that far to a save over 12 days! We havent had it that bad sence the first year of uo. They could back up the entire set of shards, but that puts lot of people in a pickle tooo.. They truly are in a catch 22, damned by all ether way they looked at it.
Come on guys, we all know its hard on the people it hit big time, I could just imagine the back up if they did all the shards.... houses that fell would be returned back to their standing shape.. players who sold or bought homes..poof. People who left thinking they put all in the bank wouldnt ... the mind boggles at what could be as many of you say screwed up.
Beleave me Mesanna and the dev staff tried to not cut it so sharp but had to if no other option was there to be had. No excuses are given but I do offer you one thing that I do know they hated to do it as much as you do that it did happen.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think that request could be filed with previous requests for a classic shard. The answer, when it finally came, was no. Good try, though. :)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hush you 2. For general info they can go back to 6 months if needed. But I beleave that is as far as they can go. I was informed of that by an old GM friend. Now things might have changed. But I doubt it would go that far back...

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totaly understand the anger and pain all my Atlantic brothers and sisters feel right now - if this would have happen on my main shard(s) i would be in pain too..
I hope there will be a solution for all of you - i hold my tumbs...

As far it goes for a total revert - no...this would cause a total chaos and what i would call the Armagedon for UO - in my business i learned how to isolate a major problem like this and concentrate on it without affecting other parts of the business - if your main warehouse software crashing, you have to isolate the problem and build emergency solution around it to keep a 2nd level customer service up and keep the business up as good as possible - you wouldnt shut down ALL your warehouses because one had a problem, even it is your main warehouse...

I dont say i would quit if they revert all shards, but i would need a hughe amount of time just to reorganize everything again i did - i did not do anything to or from Atlantic for a fair amount of time so i cant think of having lost anything - so this wont hit me in any way - but a total revert would - so why would a company risk it to make everyone else who is in the same situation like me, angry with a total revert?

Again, i hope all of you that got hit will get their items back...even this might take a long time, but in the end you would be happy again...
And yet another person who doesn't grasp the scope of the problem.

I won't say there is no better solution, I only say I have yet to think of or read a better one. For now it's very easy to see both sides of the issue, but really the only logical course of action is the total revert. No amount of weak analogies is going to change that. I dread the coming few days, but ill admit I look forward to all the "laugh it off" people changing their tune when they actually lose something, virtual or not, that they put time and effort into.

Thanks for the post Poo, you always seem to calm me down when the children push my patience to its limit.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Revert.
So intershard trading is so big that those traders and their customers on one shard vastly outnumber all the other active players in UO?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
but its canadian dollars!
*waves canadian money infront of their noses*

thats funny as all heck, hehe
i do that at work all the time, ill dare my co-workers to do something totally stupid then i tell them ill give them a dollar if they do it, which really, a dollar? come on, but then i go on and tell them its a canadian dollar!
which is funny because we are all canadian up here, but it just makes it funnier for some reason.
like id be carrying a Euro or something on me at work.

"i dare you to go over there to that lady and start purring like a cat in heat"
"NO, what the hell... who does that!"
"come on, i dare you..... ill even give you a doller"
"what, your kidding right... a dollar? what am i gonna buy with that, a stick of gum!"
"come on, a whole dollar.... a canadian dollar at that!"

ah, memories.

Last edited:

syndael

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will most likely get bashed for this but, they will NOT revert all the shards back to 12/5/12.
Yes it is horrible what happened on ATL, UO has dug them-self a hole with this problem but if they turn back the 26 other serves to make one happy, they might as well get a bob cat and dig that hole even bigger.
Lets say a total of 50,000 people play UO, they will not upset the whole 50,000 just to make 5000 people happy.
With the statement they posted to day you can tell they said sorry but what happened happened, if they even thought about doing a 27 complete server revert they would of done it already or posted it.
Yes I do agree that they handled it bad, but you all can sit here and cry about what happen into you are blue in the face but nothing will happen. YES I AM UPSET my self about it but I have already moved on and started working on everything again.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
And yet another person who doesn't grasp the scope of the problem.

I won't say there is no better solution, I only say I have yet to think of or read a better one. For now it's very easy to see both sides of the issue, but really the only logical course of action is the total revert. No amount of weak analogies is going to change that. I dread the coming few days, but ill admit I look forward to all the "laugh it off" people changing their tune when they actually lose something, virtual or not, that they put time and effort into.

Thanks for the post Poo, you always seem to calm me down when the children push my patience to its limit.
Please tell me why it would be logical to revert all shards, even the ones that are not directly affected by Atlantics data crash?
I am aware that some items and gold will be "duped" now and alot of work people on Atlantic did on their homes, chars, etc.. will go *poof* but why would my shard need a revert if everything is ok there actually?

I dont understand....this is no offense to your opinion, just share the logic in reverting all shard with me please if you be so kind Sir..

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It seems that a lot of people are assuming this entire fiasco is the end result of out-of-control mass duping. Yet no one has officially confirmed that as yet, unless I missed it. If there was another cause, this call for an all-shards revert is neither reasonable nor logical.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While losing items and money sucks (I just lost over 150 million in gold and items in my VERY first time using Atlantic's marketplace) there are people who lost their characters. Anyone who transferred over in this time just lost their characters. They didn't reappear back on their home shards - Which is what the devs should have been focusing on.

Think about all the armor, powerscrolls, items and time invested in training on just one character. All gone.

These are the people I feel got screwed royally. There should have been something done to replace lost characters.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enough people offer to pay the higher monthly fee and perhaps the $100, Ea might be game to put up a 2002 type shard where we all make a completely fresh start. Remember, EA is a business and business's like to make money. If it looked profitable and doable , they might decide to try it.

I recently made a fresh start on Siege using Mythic Tokens. I'd happily do another fresh start on a 2002 era shard and use 14 Mythic Tokens to recreate my pretty much old style Chesapeake characters on it. It would likely stop my drifting away from EA as well. :thumbup:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Database corruption can have multiple causes - hardware issues, like faulty memory or disk subsystem, software crashes, system overload, operator errors, hacker attacks ... (And wasn't that essential maintenance on 5th, could this have introduced the issue?)
So the possibility, that there is really a dupe to blame for this, is relatively low.
*Salute*
Olahorand

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If they want to do it, go for it.

I sometimes reminisce about "the good old days" in RL -- the ice box in our kitchen (before the folks could afford a refrigerator) -- and Mom's first wringer washing machine (she used a scrub board and tub prior to that much celebrated acquisition). I love antiques, but I wouldn't want to go too far back, really. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.