• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This has got to be a posting record.

So many in so short a time!

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
... And, it would have to be paid for by the data host that so screwed up things, as to not endanger the entire game - IF it was the host's fault. If it was a problem at EA, it's a bit more problematic.
Based on the rDNS, Atlantic seems to be running in a EC2 VPS instance at AWS. This means, they pay for (virtual) bare metal and connectivity. Since it is EA Mythic's own (proprietary) shard software which might have behaved faulty during the backups of an unstable shard, I highly doubt they can blame AWS for this.
I assume EA Mythic does generally strive with running Atlantic (hardware wise the most demanding shard plus an unstable publish on it) in this new AWS surrounding, hence the multiple crashes in the last few days since the move.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they revert all the shards they will just tick off all the rest of their paying customers. Why risk making even more people mad enough they might decide to leave?

Some players got hosed, some made out like bandits. double whopper with cheese happens people, life goes on.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well all I can say is sorry to whomever was effected by the revert and thank the gods I don't play on Atl! Wonder what I have done if anything on Atl since the 5th... hum....

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank your fellow shard members for doing something to create the revert.
Care to tell us how it is the players fault.

Honestly,

If you have never been hosed out of gold or a item because of a revert, you are either a trammie, or have had it coming. Sad but true.
WTF does being a trammie have anything to do with this.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they could find a way to revert only the character transfers done on all shards in this period of time it would fix alot of things, not all tho.
One thing they can't do right now is revert the other shards and not Atl. If they hapenned to make choice and revert all shards they have to revert Atl again aswell and all at a specific time when the data wasn't corrupted, ortherwise it could cause more dupings and losts.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the onl true way to fix the problems is to revert all shards to dec. 5th, give out 30day code to every ccount, and a few mythic tokens for skills lost. hell, just give everyone30 days and $200 store credit to the mythic store for forged metal tools for rebuilding suits now gone, and mythic tokens for lost skill.

there needs to be something for compensation besides a 30 day gametime code (smack in the face)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about promo codes that were purchased via origin store (ships and mythic tokens etc). These have all gone poof in game now.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resubmit the promo codes.

And no to the rest being reverted, I've already lost enough from the ATL revert. You revert ALL shards then UO can go **** themselves.

Last edited:

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least TC1 you will have a better idea of what people lost. My transfer items from GL/LS are all gone, along with runebooks, my token back to LS...items that cannot replaced, just gone. Not once in 15 years has a revert been this bad.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Resubmit the promo codes.

And no to the rest being reverted, I've already lost enough from the ATL revert. You revert ALL shards then UO can go **** themselves.
revert is probably only fairest way, nothing over corrupted tree atl in this thread,but damages conceptual of others work if some transfered billions and lost or gained hurts percption of time in game accounting for something if some one gained billions for nothing but an error

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
revert is probably only fairest way, nothing over corrupted tree atl in this thread,but damages conceptual of others work if some transfered billions and lost or gained hurts percption of time in game accounting for something if some one gained billions for nothing but an error
Uh no, it's not fair because only ONE shard reverted. Dont get me wrong I'm disliked the ATL revert just as much and I ate about 200m from it. However, if you revert any other shard im going to lose a billion gold and a keep.

They better pony up more than a month of game time code.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly,

If you have never been hosed out of gold or a item because of a revert, you are either a trammie, or have had it coming. Sad but true.
Or you play on Origin :) We've been reverted more times then I can count....I've never lost a TON of stuff but skills in Taming/Lock picking/forensic Eval...ouch lol.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to fix it...yeah yeah *waves pom-poms* sorry but I have faith :) Just give it some time...oh wait I forgot..we only have until Friday :danceb:

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Or you play on Origin :) We've been reverted more times then I can count....I've never lost a TON of stuff but skills in Taming/Lock picking/forensic Eval...ouch lol.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to fix it...yeah yeah *waves pom-poms* sorry but I have faith :) Just give it some time...oh wait I forgot..we only have until Friday :danceb:

Why only till Friday?

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i mean really was it that bad that they had to revert,what if you dont have time to wait in line to try to get your vet rewards back? that is crazy only ones that will get the stuff back is those who are up the EM's arses,shoulda reverted who game atleast not one shard

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about this, leave the stupid +5 pinks or whatever it was that was duped and ban all the losers that caused this problem. People dont loose all your earned goods and you get rid of accounts that made money of exploits. Its friggin +5 pinks for skill gains for heaven's sake, but like duping artifacts which was done when doom came out. People just dont want to train skills forever. Im about to close my UO accounts for good. F this.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just want my gosh darn char back! I don't want to work all 7 skills AGAIN. :(

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
30 days game time means absolutely NOTHING to me.

Upon recalculation on the list I have back on Oceania on what was sent to Atlantic, my losses equate to 676 million + change.

Included in this transfer I sent over 120 spellweaving scrolls, do you have any idea how many hours of gameplay this equates to? You can spend three or four hours bashing miasma and get ONE. These scrolls were amassed over years not just 12 days. They were certainly not the big ticket items in my transfer but in terms of HOUR and HOURS of gameplay spent to get them 1 month of game time isn't worth crap in comparison.

To those of you who are laughing about those of us who have lost stuff, how about you just shut up. If you think this is funny you are just making the decision to close my 3 accounts easier. I do not want gametime, I want the value of my goods replaced. As not only is it a loss, it is an exponential loss as that money in game would go on to equate to a lot more 'value' in purchasing power so incrementally it gets worse not having those funds in game. Given I do not buy gold or trade illegally this effects my whole game PAST and ONGOING. If years of my effort is lost because the powers that be did decided to just penalize SOME players instead of properly compensating them or reverting so that all players were on a level playing field then going forward I have no respect for them at all.

I have never in my whole UO history bought anything from a gold seller, never used any illegal program, never cheated in any form in my game play, but for me to go and 'buy' the equivalent of what I have lost in gold to replace my losses would cost me at say .89 cents per million (the going rate I see DAILY from these sites spammed in my chat which UO has neglected to deal with for years because of ineptitude in enforcing their own TOS) would be around $76 yet they offer one month game time worth less than $15?

Totally appalled by this ineptitude.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How about this, leave the stupid +5 pinks or whatever it was that was duped and ban all the losers that caused this problem. People dont loose all your earned goods and you get rid of accounts that made money of exploits. Its friggin +5 pinks for skill gains for heaven's sake, but like duping artifacts which was done when doom came out. People just dont want to train skills forever. Im about to close my UO accounts for good. F this.
I do not think the revert was due to some dupe or something. It sounded more like a hardware failure or something

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Upon recalculation on the list I have back on Oceania on what was sent to Atlantic, my losses equate to 676 million + change.

Included in this transfer I sent over 120 spellweaving scrolls, do you have any idea how many hours of gameplay this equates to? You can spend three or four hours bashing miasma and get ONE. These scrolls were amassed over years not just 12 days. They were certainly not the big ticket items in my transfer but in terms of HOUR and HOURS of gameplay spent to get them 1 month of game time isn't worth crap in comparison.

To those of you who are laughing about those of us who have lost stuff, how about you just shut up. If you think this is funny you are just making the decision to close my 3 accounts easier. I do not want gametime, I want the value of my goods replaced. As not only is it a loss, it is an exponential loss as that money in game would go on to equate to a lot more 'value' in purchasing power so incrementally it gets worse not having those funds in game. Given I do not buy gold or trade illegally this effects my whole game PAST and ONGOING. If years of my effort is lost because the powers that be did decided to just penalize SOME players instead of properly compensating them or reverting so that all players were on a level playing field then going forward I have no respect for them at all.

I have never in my whole UO history bought anything from a gold seller, never used any illegal program, never cheated in any form in my game play, but for me to go and 'buy' the equivalent of what I have lost in gold to replace my losses would cost me at say .89 cents per million (the going rate I see DAILY from these sites spammed in my chat which UO has neglected to deal with for years because of ineptitude in enforcing their own TOS) would be around $76 yet they offer one month game time worth less than $15?

I'm with you MissEcho. I'm out over 1B+ in items (22 Garden Beds plus a slew of other items) I just transferred and my character. If they aren't going to restore what I lost on Europa by doing a revert of all shards to the 5th then what are they going to do to compensate me?

And the 30 day gametime code means nothing.

I want restitution.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Not to rain on your parade... 676,000,000 X .89 = $601.64....

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
the onl true way to fix the problems is to revert all shards to dec. 5th, give out 30day code to every ccount, and a few mythic tokens for skills lost. hell, just give everyone30 days and $200 store credit to the mythic store for forged metal tools for rebuilding suits now gone, and mythic tokens for lost skill.

there needs to be something for compensation besides a 30 day gametime code (smack in the face)
why dont they give you some stock options too.

loook at the positive. looks like we got that nice gold wipe everyone was complaining needed to be done.

remember its a game for you but a business for them. your not supposed to be making a living off the pixels anyway. read your tos. your operating on the fringe so they sorta dont owe you anything.

i'm also laughing at the amount of you who are out ''BILLIONS''

sorry for my cynicism.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

loook at the positive. looks like we got that nice gold wipe everyone was complaining needed to be done.

remember its a game for you but a business for them. your not supposed to be making a living off the pixels anyway. read your tos. your operating on the fringe so they sorta dont owe you anything.

sorry for my cynicism.
Billions is not hard to lose nowdays... im far from rich and far from a collector... but I could reach a billion gold worth of items in 20 items or less from my house.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

sorry for my cynicism.
its not like its a free game to play either. i pay a monthly sub to play it. If i paid a monthly sub to host a website, and the website crashed after i put dozens of hours into it, and they said "sorry, backups are corrupt, your website is now gone", i'd be just as upset about it

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then start working things out, take ATL offline, tell us WHY it was reverted 2 weeks, then we figure out what can be done?

This is insanity, how much people have lost b/c ATL is the most populated shard, its like saying NY stock exchange reverts, but all others stay open. If its an isolated ATL incident that you all want to prevent, is it really worth having all your paying customers loose billions of gold and items or can you punish the account holders of the misdeeds and move on from there?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The real question here - did Atlantic crash, dropping unrecoverable data, or did they just decide to revert because of issues, whatever they were?

I ask because if the latter is the case, and they did a backup prior to the revert, they really need to reconsider the revert and go back to what it was last night, and find another avenue for fixing whatever the issue is. If the data is gone and unrecoverable, the team really needs to consider the full game revert and real compensation for lost time, let alone frustration.

Last edited:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paged 2 hours ago regarding my xfer token, still no game response. I don't have the email anymore so I can't look-up the code. I delete emails after I read them.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It'd be nice t know if Atlantic crashed and was unrecoverable, and you found your most recent good backup was the 5th, or if you did this revert but still have atlantic from last night. A revert really needs to be reconsidered if it is possible

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Paged 2 hours ago regarding my xfer token, still no game response. I don't have the email anymore so I can't look-up the code. I delete emails after I read them.
Meanwhile, at least one of the 3rd party seller sites already has a detailed plan of action posted for their customers...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am entirely sympathetic to those who lost their play time on Atlantic; it may just be virtual pixels, but there were pleasures, hopes, achievements associated with those pixels, and where there is loss of experience there is loss of meaning and identity and we should all be sorry for people on Atlantic.... just as we would be if they had lost anything else that had meaning to them, such as the death of a beloved pet.

However, the response to that can never be to shoot everyone else's pet in order to ensure no one has made a qualitative "happiness increase" over those who have just lost their joy. That simply extends the misery without addressing the meaning of the loss to the original person.

We can try to lessen that loss, indeed we can take practical steps here in Ultima Online to help those on Atlantic. I'm checking my characters now for recent December trades; it looks like I completed all my Christmas Gift swapping to Europa before the 5th, so none of my characters are carrying any goods, and the ones they had hopefully still exist for your characters there. But if people traded after that date, the swap would have been reset Atlantic side and not on your server, so the honest and honourable thing to do is see if you have any record of who gifted you an item on your own shards and complete the trade again on Atlantic. This we can do, and this we should do. Perhaps we can also help gift items there just out of sympathy, if that's not too much like treating you like a charity...

However, I repeat again, beyond sympathy and what support we can offer, asking other people to further suffer for a disaster that afflicted you is just going to spread the misery and address none of the suffering. This massive catastrophe should never have happened. The Bug Fix that wasn't is a shameful episode in UO history. And it's going to remain so if imposed elsewhere too; we should be limiting it's effects, not extending them.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
i submitted my used code in my page request. i received an email saying my que was kicked up to the next level. last time this happened i received the code a day later.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The real question here - did Atlantic crash, dropping unrecoverable data, or did they just decide to revert because of issues, whatever they were?

I ask because if the latter is the case, and they did a backup prior to the revert, they really need to reconsider the revert and go back to what it was last night, and find another avenue for fixing whatever the issue is. If the data is gone and unrecoverable, the team really needs to consider the full game revert and real compensation for lost time, let alone frustration.
Reading the original post on the topic helps. Since you missed what was said in the first paragraph, I clipped it here for you: Due to issues beyond our control, I am sorry to have to inform all of Atlantic that we had to revert to a Dec 5, 2012 7:00 am EST back up. We have tried to retrieve a more current back up but we have been unable to do so due to corruption issues.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No one is laughing here. I on the other hand, do not want to see them screw every other player due to one servers misfortunes. I've already lost enough havent you?

And gold now days is only worth 30-35 cents per mil. Even at 200m dropped from this revert that is $60. I feel you, A 14 dollar game code doesn't even cover that cost.

Thanks but no thanks.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Reading the original post on the topic helps. Since you missed what was said in the first paragraph, I clipped it here for you: Due to issues beyond our control, I am sorry to have to inform all of Atlantic that we had to revert to a Dec 5, 2012 7:00 am EST back up. We have tried to retrieve a more current back up but we have been unable to do so due to corruption issues.
that doesn't answer the question. they said they "had to do a revert" but it does not say if they did it to fix a duping issue, a crashing issue that is unfixable, or if the vm just exploded. Maybe they would of only needed to revert to te 12th to fix some issue, but found that wasn't an option and had to go to the 5th. We don't know.

Good Grief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you guys haven't quit after all the crap we've lived through already, you won't quit now, so stop all the whining and idle threats.

This is just a game, getting that upset and claiming that UO is some people's lives and that they're owed something is just pathetic .....especially considering what happened last week. This isn't a tragedy or something worth getting that upset about. You never owned any of the pixels you might have lost.

Maybe since it's the holidays, we should all just go spend some extra time with our families, or help the less fortunate or do something more constructive for the next few days and let EA decide whether they need to revert the entire game or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.