• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Raise your hand if u never lost anything to this game before?.... Is anyone even the least bit surprised? I'm really sorry to those of you who have lost items/gold/characters to this unfortunate event. Its in times like these that you should remember what you're grateful for: my life, my freedom, the opportunity to sit around and play a computer game on my free time, my job, my security, food, shelther.... Complaining, and furthermore, being spiteful and saying that every shard needs to be set back, is NOT the answer. Rebuild, overcome, be grateful damnit!
Well then you won't mind losing YOUR last twelve days of play for the greater good then. Then I will feel sorry for you, and be grateful for my life, my freedom... yadda yadda. I will rebuild and be grateful with YOU. Total revert IS the ONLY FAIR treatment of this issue.

Even with a full revert I am badly affected, I play two shards Atlantic and Oceania, however, at least I am not out of 4-5 months worth of my gametime that has been destroyed by this one sided revert.

Last edited:

Kahlan

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is nuts... no good way or easy way out of it. However punishing everyone on everyshard for the mistakes of EA, the devs, Mesanna, whatever isn't the way to go either. I agree with all of you who are saying 30 days gametime is an insult and a joke it is!! For those of you who lost characters, there has to be a way, other than a massive revert, to go in and replace your characters and what items were in their banks and packs (maybe on the packies). This is just baaaad and as much as I want answers now, for the sales I have lost and the gold that was on vendors I had just placed, I hope that this is the end of the reverts and they can start going though and compenstating players on a case by case basis and not leave us all hanging out to dry. I play/rune 12 accounts, I play hard and earn everythig I have. If they revert all shards you will see a selling out post immediately after. A total shard revert will kill an already dying game.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know whether there's a way to roll back character transfers. I hope there is, but I don't see that rolling back all shards would in any way be fair on the many, many people who never transfer characters and do not, and never have, played Atlantic.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A full revert of all shards back to July 28th......that's when my house fell due to billing system and i lost 14 years worth of history and happy memories.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The players suffer because you failed to test this publish and it was exploited beyond belief.
The corruption of the system started before the publish. And I am almost sure, that the backup said, its all ok, the problem was the content of the backup.
If you backup a bad database, it's still a bad database, even if the backup of it is good. The backup does only restore the saved state, and not anything better.
So the server got a problem around 6th December, we all (or at least those who played on ATL) remember the random crashes since then.

I lost also some stuff - a house plot, which i hopefully can buy again (seems that place is really cursed, that was the exact plot, where I lost my loaded house back in spring), 2 or 3 vet rewards, some nice stuff purchased from the vendors on the publish day for a very low price ....

But as a sysadmin I know, that sometimes things are going bad, and the worst scenario may hit. And finally, its still a game, even if some of us lost a lot of time in skills and items.
Sure, there should be some compensation, but first of all - the thing is up again, and the server admin team has to ensure, that this does not happen again. The developers may develop more ideas for compensation (some tokens could cover for skill losses, adding vet reward choices for that stuff and so on. But this and the side effects must be carefully considered).

There are still serious issues, like lost or duplicated characters and items due to char transfer, houses back from IDOC to refreshed for accounts hitting the 90 days borderline in that time etc.
But reverting all shards would bring more risks than anything else. Not only an even higher level of frustration, what happens, if the critical days backup of one or more of these shards also fail? (And there is still the time difference between daily backups, so some char transfers would fall again through a hole.)

*Salute*
Olahorand

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If there was an all-shard revert, it would have to be a bit more compensatory. And, it would have to be paid for by the data host that so screwed up things, as to not endanger the entire game - IF it was the host's fault. If it was a problem at EA, it's a bit more problematic.

Say, 90 or 180 days free time (perhaps 180 if the account had logged into Atlantic in the reverted time, to show they were more directly affected).
A package of free gifts for each account of at least the value of the free time given. (And when I say free gifts, I'm talking as in from the EA & Origin stores, not simple deco made up to give to everyone).
AND the all-shard revert, to 2 weeks ago, in order to let people have a day or two to know that it's going to happen (otherwise you'll have people on 20 shards screaming bloody murder)

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An all shards revert would be only fair.

No matter how this works out there will be subs lost in the end no matter if they go with one server revert or an all shards revert.

Not a good day in UO atm but hardware issues do happen. This hardware issue will end up being very costly in the end.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the winners are those who dont xfer every sellable item to atl like the rest of the sheeple:popcorn:

pot stirring aside, the key things to remember:
1. Its a game, you lost pixels and nothing more. anything you paid real money for will be replaced (if you bought it from a legit UO site) You lost a supposed billion in items and gold? it wasnt real money and if you planned to sell it for real money then ya deserve to lose it.

2.this dev team has shown a desire to at least attempt to please the playerbase, I am sure they will make it up to those affected. The offer of a free month of game play im sure is just the beginning to try to keep you calm until they figure it all out.

3. this is probably the first big revert for this dev team, it may take them time to figure out the best way to make things right.

so before people start goin EQ and runnin for the razors, breath and say outloud "It's just a game"

Kahlan

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree. Its NOT fair so why would they even realistically entertain doing it? I hope not. I don't want to see anymore players leave uo than I already have over the last few years.

I don't know whether there's a way to roll back character transfers. I hope there is, but I don't see that rolling back all shards would in any way be fair on the many, many people who never transfer characters and do not, and never have, played Atlantic.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
built i dunno how many chars and worked skills on atl the past two weeks, built so many suits, spent so much time on so many in game activities. I've been on vaca and been playing uo like crazy the past two weeks. this is beyond rediculous.

I just want to close my ****ing accounts.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Raise your hand if u never lost anything to this game before?.... Is anyone even the least bit surprised? I'm really sorry to those of you who have lost items/gold/characters to this unfortunate event. Its in times like these that you should remember what you're grateful for: my life, my freedom, the opportunity to sit around and play a computer game on my free time, my job, my security, food, shelther.... Complaining, and furthermore, being spiteful and saying that every shard needs to be set back, is NOT the answer. Rebuild, overcome, be grateful damnit!
i've lost an item here, 2 hours there, but 2 weeks full of ****? ********.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But this is where I get pissed at the team.

IF there will be no worldwide revert, tell us, and on the other shards life can go on.

IF there will be a worldwide revert, tell us, so that we don't squander anymore time working up skills and making trades, etc, because it's gonna be all for naught anyway

This is where that communication thing would be handy, right about now.

com·mu·ni·ca·tion

[kuh-myoo-ni-key-shuh n] Show IPA
noun
the act or process of communicating; fact of being communicated.
the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs.
something imparted, interchanged, or transmitted.
a document or message imparting news, views, information, etc.
passage, or an opportunity or means of passage, between places.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I have said on page two.. there is a percentage of folks who play UO and the game IS their life. No, I do not fit into that category, but I personally know several who do.
I have lost loads in this revert, so much i cant even begin to count it. UO is my life and has been for 13 years now. My wife calls her self a UO widow as she never sees me for this dammed game. But this is not the first time i have lost loads of items and gold and im sure it wont be the last. You would be surprised at how invigorating it is rebuilding.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can't believe how disheartening this is...

looking at chars and stuff... no skill worked, suits that i spent hours on.. gone. a vendor that had 1.6billion on it, now sits at 80mil and all the items - disappeared.

you can take your 30day game time code and stick it up your ass ea.

so whats the deal? with all the screwed up chars and transfers.. should we not even bother playing in fear of another revert?

Last edited:

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG. I'm speachless, last week I sold 2 items for Atlantic gold (Mesanna mask and event armor tunic) and transfered (thanks to Cotton) a bag full of rares to Atlantic. My plan was to hang out on Atlantic for a couple of weeks, pick up some stuff not normally availible on my shard, then head to Hokuto for the rares fest. Sell some items, buy some items, then return to my home shard of Chesapeake. Now all that stuff is gone.. just gone. I am asking, no begging for all the shards to be reverted the same. People are saying they don't want this. Why? Because they will lose 12 days of gameplay? I have literally lost 12 years worth of items. I am completely beside myself. I know I'm not going to be the only person with a story like this. Please, please, please revert all the shards.

Førsaken_

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand what you are saying. But you should understand what the majority should be saying: This rollback caused more duping in its own, which is probably one of the main things to cause such a rollback. People are losing characters, suits, one of a kind items in rares and pvp gear, time, effort, real life money, billions of gold, and more.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all you can do is laugh. this is not the first time a shard has reverted. If you lost stuff oh well?

They have NEVER EVER replaced items lost due to a revert, not OSI, and not EA.

I think its funny, i have characters on ATL.. what else can you do but laugh? this is a video game.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG. I'm speachless, last week I sold 2 items for Atlantic gold (Mesanna mask and event armor tunic) and transfered (thanks to Cotton) a bag full of rares to Atlantic. My plan was to hang out on Atlantic for a couple of weeks, pick up some stuff not normally availible on my shard, then head to Hokuto for the rares fest. Sell some items, buy some items, then return to my home shard of Chesapeake. Now all that stuff is gone.. just gone. I am asking, no begging for all the shards to be reverted the same. People are saying they don't want this. Why? Because they will lose 12 days of gameplay? I have literally lost 12 years worth of items. I am completely beside myself. I know I'm not going to be the only person with a story like this. Please, please, please revert all the shards.
This has happened to ALOT of people, same circumstance. Transferred items awaiting Hokuto Rares Fest. Friend lots billions between items and accepting gold on ATL as payment for items on other shards.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah i have lost quite a bit on alt but I sure as hell dont want to take a double whamy and lose what i have done and made on Europa and Drachenfelts

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all you can do is laugh. this is not the first time a shard has reverted. If you lost stuff oh well?

1- that isn't exactly true and
2- there hasn't been a two week revert in which the volume of transfers have caused things to disappear/cause things to be dupped.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the dev's or whoever is in charge of this fiasco don't want to do a revert on all shards so that every player is equally effected then they have the responsibility to those who have been adversely affected by compensating them appropriately. Frankly this token ONE months game time is a slap in the face, it might be compensation for losing one tangle or one stat scroll, but there are a LOT of people who have lost a LOT more than one flipping item. We all pay the same to play, why should only SOME of us have to pay for this? Are we worth less as players than others?

Other than whatever technical difficulty caused the need to revert to start with, the more damaging decision was to to ONLY revert one shard. That is the biggest lack of foresight in this whole situation. EVERY shard should have been taken down and reverted, then everyone would be upset at losing 12 days, but at least it would have been FAIR and we could all have rebuilt and moreover no single players would be made to carry the damage for this while others get off or even profit from it. Instead, some **&^%&& decided 'ok' we will just revert one shard and basically screw over those few players, and offer them a token bit of game time not worth anything in way of compensation, gee if you didn't do much in the last 12 days you get a months gametime while others who lost millions and millions as well as the literal 12 days get a month as well. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I have a list of what I transferred, in economic terms to my game it equates to 4-5 months worth of effort, around 4-5 hours per day of gametime play, and is worth at a minimum 500 million. I don't have a large guild, I don't cheat, I work very hard at amassing enough stuff to move the rewards of this effort over to Atlantic (via a friend's transfer shield) because there are no players on Oceania to buy my wares, and now it is just tough s***, here have 30 days gametime worth like $15 bucks??

No thank you.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... some of the folks made out like a fat rat tho. Anyone who xferred billions off of Atlantic just doubled their stockpile.....

Reckon the Devs just gonna let that count as a strange kinda war profiteering? :p
If the servers are reverted, the server down time in the morning, would negate the transfer from existing.

If you don't think those servers and admins dont have a list of all xfers off and on, your nuts.

They will have to delete the xfered characters, there is no other way.

Besides, ATL is where all the trouble makers and problems stem from, consider it karma if your not legit.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soo.... i'm still beyond pissed off. however..

Can we get some sort of confirmation whether or not we can expect further reverts due to the MASSIVE issues pertaining to transfered items/gold and duped/lost chars due to transfers, or should we just consider the game down and not play in fear of another revert?

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand what you are saying. But you should understand what the majority should be saying: This rollback caused more duping in its own, which is probably one of the main things to cause such a rollback. People are losing characters, suits, one of a kind items in rares and pvp gear, time, effort, real life money, billions of gold, and more.
they can reset, to before the xfers were made. Which will be obviously Dec 5., anything after that will be deleted.

They can't please everyone, and they will not. Thank your fellow shard members for doing something to create the revert.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you a ******? Billions of gold, all kinds of items, time, and effort lost and you say to just laugh about it?? Just because you have nothing in this game doesn't mean everyone else who lost all kinds of **** is just going to "laugh" about it.... Get real kid
I laughing, I lost loads but im still laughing

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I've also lost in excess a billion, as well as a rogue character I spent countless hours leveling. I've also lost out on the money for two transfer tokens, which (if I do my maths right) add up to be far more $$ than a single free month of UO.

Not that I'm an enormous fan of this, but imo the best solution should be to revert the other servers.

Honestly, I'm even more angry about the flippant attitude the people at UO are showing us. A little paragraph saying that all our time/hours/energy has been wasted, but here's a free month that will in no way make up for your troubles.

This is one of the few things that could have ever caused me to consider quitting UO.
Why would they revert everyone else for a problem on ATL? It is not even logical, if there is problems there, that is what will be fixed.

All those who wish to quit, please refer to anyone asking for free stuff.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Laughing is the first thing I did also, hahahaha. It is cruel but whatelse can you do. Words of Oh well comes to mind, and ok where do I start to do what I did in the past 2 weeks or so? Then I went around and laughed at all my friends who want to pk me for laughing at them aswell for all the work they have to do again.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly,

If you have never been hosed out of gold or a item because of a revert, you are either a trammie, or have had it coming. Sad but true.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am going to leave it for a week let it play out. I will just stay on Europa for the next week

Cyanide_Mage

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think its funny, i have characters on ATL.. what else can you do but laugh? this is a video game.
Lmao you sir make me Lol IRL. Your entire posting career on stratics has a SLEW of times in which people had to talk you off the "ledge" because of how you overreacted to situations you felt were unfair. One epic event is clear as day to me, remember your WEEK long crying rant about how it was unfair that you spent 1 billion gold buying new mag lotto tickets? I think you said you did the math and owned like 95% of all tickets for a plot and didn't get the house lmao. I find this whole situation amusing, I lost hundreds of millions but meh, i've played uo long enough to know nothing in this game is guaranteed. Just thought I would point out that hands down the most amusing part of this whole situation is your post.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Considering the length of time we're talking about, reverting ALL shards is just unthinkable. It would make more sense to generously compensate people who experienced major losses (such as losing a character as a result of a shard transfer that apparently sent their character to some Never-Never-Land of no return). Let's be realistic... if the majority of players on all shards were not badly affected, the drastic revert suggested might lose UO more subs than anyone has fully considered.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you ****ing kidding me?????​
I just put 200 mil into a suit. During that same time I transferred a fully scrolled out mage from Great Lakes to Atlantic. All of that is gone? Are you kidding me? 2 weeks? What the **** is wrong with you. Fix it, compensate me. This is unacceptable.​

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can we get some kind of update on what may or may not be done about this? I am really not liking the idea of remaking that char and the fact at this point I've lost everything with it. :(

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why would they revert everyone else for a problem on ATL? It is not even logical, if there is problems there, that is what will be fixed.

The reason a full revert needs to be considered, is because if you transfer a char from another shard to atl, it is now gone.

On the flip side, if you transfer items off atlantic, they have now been duped and 2 of each item/char exists.

Big ****in problem man, and no i'm not gunna laugh about it.

Xaereth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

It's not logical to quit when you can't depend on the game to be stable enough that your time isn't wasted?

You're saying that it is logical to let people who transferred away from ATL during these 12 weeks to have double the valuable goods while all those who transferred to ATL and lost millions/billions don't get anything but a single paragraph of explanation and a gamecode worth a fraction of our losses? That's somehow fair?

If there's a way to fix this without a full revert, I'm honestly all for that. I'm just unsure as to what exactly can be done. Maybe those who are talking about transfer logs will end up being correct, and if that's the case, I'll happily take my transferred items back, even if it means I have to resell most of them.

Also, someone asked if characters transferred to ATL were deleted or sent back to their original shard. I transferred my rogue to ATL, and he no longer exists, on either server.

shadowspirit

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive lost a whole lot of items and billions in gold but I don't think all the shards should be revert , thats just nonsense why screw everyone just because 5% of us lost stuff ,, i look at it this way , yes i lost out yes im pissed but oh well life does go on I'll get more it may not be what I had but I dont care

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason a full revert needs to be considered, is because if you transfer a char from another shard to atl, it is now gone.

On the flip side, if you transfer items off atlantic, they have now been duped and 2 of each item/char exists.

Big ****** problem man, and no i'm not gunna laugh about it.
Cet, they have a server with the lists of all characters transfered too and from ATL. All char xfers are kept track of. No way they will let duped chars slide by.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok BIG THING

People now have duped characters - GG EA

IE anyone who xfered since Dec 5th off ATL, now has that character back PLUS the one on the shard it was taken to
and if they revert all the other shards right now it will dupe the characters people xfer today.. soo it's a lose-lose situation unless they take xfers down and Re-Revert all the shards to the same time.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cet, they have a server with the lists of all characters transfered too and from ATL. All char xfers are kept track of. No way they will let duped chars slide by.
Then they need to take the shards down now, immediately and without advance warning, for a full day, and go through that list to put every character on the shard they should be on with what they should have had at time of transfer. Any advance warning given is just time for people wanting to game the system to move everything off of their characters that got doubled.

It is literally either that or revert everyone.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it wouldn't. I lose my rose-colored glasses long ago.

For example the recent Atl. revert was not terribly out-of-line with things that happened on LS consistently some years back.

Yes the Atl. thing was laughably bad but...To use this as an excuse to pretend things were better overall 15+ years ago? No.

-Galen's player

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then they need to take the shards down now, immediately and without advance warning, for a full day, and go through that list to put every character on the shard they should be on with what they should have had at time of transfer. Any advance warning given is just time for people wanting to game the system to move everything off of their characters that got doubled.

It is literally either that or revert everyone.
It'll already have been done, I expect. By the big guys anyway, who came out of this with billions extra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.