• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Archery Templates

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've got archery stuck on a soulstone collecting dust. I want to use it. What archery templates are you all running for PvM or PvP? I know throwing is "in" but thought some of you may have found new and inventive ways to use your archer now that reforging has opened up some options for bows and assorted items.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-OBSIDIAN-

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Search ABC Archer, does quite a bit of damage. Dust off your archer, re-gear him and kite, kite, kite. I've never taken Archery off of Lew, there is always a need for ranged damage in PVM in a group.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I used an ABC Archer back in the 2010 timeframe. Decent damage output and that is an option. What other templates are out there? Again, PvM or PvP... I'm open to trying something different to make use of the skill points.

-OBSIDIAN-

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
120 archery
110 anatomy
110 tactics
80 chiv
115 bushido
85 ninja
40 necro
60 SS

-Lorax
Interesting. Can you tell me what you use this template for and why you like it? It looks like a PvM template using wraith form and curse heal, but the 85 ninjitsu is interesting. Is this for Llama form? What other purposes do you use the ninjitsu? Are there any other purposes for the 115 bushido than perfection and momentum strike.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm assuming death strike which is genius to put on a ranged fighter.. On further inspection, tat combined with animal firm makes me think I may try it..

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. Can you tell me what you use this template for and why you like it? It looks like a PvM template using wraith form and curse heal, but the 85 ninjitsu is interesting. Is this for Llama form? What other purposes do you use the ninjitsu? Are there any other purposes for the 115 bushido than perfection and momentum strike.
The first reason to add ninja is to get the mana reduction 300 skill points so your mana cost is half for everything. Archers only draw half the leech on a successful hit so this is a must. I only needed 60 ninja for that, but wanted 85 to try death strike and the other forms. I'm still looking to unlock the ninja potential and haven't tried it in the arena. Switching out wraith form and a ninja form takes some coordination because of the cast and cast recovery delays. I would like to get some FC and FCR into my suit to benefit from all the forms, but my suit is so property expensive right now. I have a 10% SSI ring and 10% bracelet so the only way to get 2FC:6FCR with the SSI is to use legendary cursed items...less desireable.

I haven't looked at if I need 115 bushido or could do with 100-110. I put this skill on a few years ago and hadn't changed its level. As you know Bushido is for perfection (pvm), confidence, lightning strike for crit (helps when afflicted with HLA, pvp), and momentum strike. The momentum strike is very important aid in curse weapon. We want to get mutliple creatures on you so you can get to full health each hit (use hit area spell to draw the creatures).

My testing in my home between two accounts it doesn't seem like Death Strike actually does anything. UOguide says DS determination includes hiding and stealth, which I don't have. Stratics shows only determined by ninja. I am at a loss to figure out how it works and if my template actually can use it effectively in various scenarios. The mana goes down and it seems to activate. I just don't see my targets health changing after 5 steps or 3-5 seconds (the duration is another discrepancy between uoguide and stratics.) I am confused how it actually works.

I'm afraid in the last 4-5 years I have had minimal to no pvp only because my circle of companions dwindled so pvm is dominant right now. I have house arena against a vet pvp mage and win 50% of the time without much practice. I like it because every skill and property on my suit goes toward optimizing the archery support for an offensive playstyle. I can't really heal others any more, but my swings are below 2s, offense playstyle is fun, and I stay alive.

-Lorax

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, that makes sense. I was wondering if there was a hidden purpose for the 85 ninjitsu.

One template I was considering was the Mystic Archer. There was a template posted here long ago that caught my eye (Archer help | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming). My recollection was that it was extremely skill point intensive and I just lost too much HCI/DCI and Stats from the suit to pull off that many skill points. Plus I needed an extra 14 Chivalry to get to 84 following the pub 71 changes. This is the template:

Mystic 120
Focus 120 (90 +30 on jewels)
Archery 120 (100 + Hunters headress)
tactics 100
bushido 100
anatomy 90
healing 90 (80 + stitchers mittens)
Chivalry 70 (40 +30 on jewels)

Another template I was considering was a 4/6 Arcane Archer. Something like this:
120 Archery
120 Spellweaving
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
84 Chivalry
60 SS
40 Necro

Again, this would be a wraith form build using the power of EOO, CW, and DF, employing AIs for the bulk of damage, curse weapon and bandages to heal, and WOD to finish it off. Of course, no mana reduction on weapon specials on this template.

Any thoughts on these two templates? Has anyone tried either of these?

-OBSIDIAN-

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't actually tried this yet (and yes, I could try the TC, but I haven't), but has anyone tried a disco/archer? If so, was it useful or useless? Knee-jerk reaction, this is what I would think of running (assuming 720 skill points, no bonuses):

Theoretical Disco/Archer
120 Archery
120 Music
120 Discordance
100 [Anatomy/Resist/Bushido/SW]
100 Tactics
90 Healing
70 Chivalry

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the template tread about the disco thrower, it's underpowered vs the regular damage output of a pure dexer.