• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Quick ??

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok had a friend over today and was checking out UO while i was running around doing a few things. Wanted to know if there were any tame-able pets Immune to high lvl poisons (I was using an Arctic Orge Lord with Dryads allure to kill Miasma) cant find anything that says that one way or another. Few things that can cast/poison but nothing that says Immune. Any help would be great as it just might get a new player into the game hehe.

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yea inless im missing something if he wants to take that thing with a Pet GD looks the way to go, just means he would have to clean out the front area and pull Miasma out there so instant repops dont get ahead of his healing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done it with a Cu Sidhe, but I have just a little chiv on my char to be able to cast remove curse when she's mortalled. Also I have legendary vet, so I'm not reliant on mage heals

Last edited:

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done it with a Cu Sidhe, but I have just a little chiv on my char to be able to cast remove curse when she's mortalled. Also I have legendary vet, so I'm not reliant on mage heals
Doesn't the rune beetle have an imunity (or at least a high chance to resist) to poison? That would be my first choice if I went after that scorpion with a pet.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no information about any poison resistance in rune beetles, only of their ability to inflict it, however they have something like half the hp of a cu sidhe. It may be interesting give that a try, but I think you'd need to accept a strong possibilty that Miasma may eat the rune for lunch with you as desert :D .

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont know if this is correct but Rune Beetle - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia says they have from 75 to 95 resist in poison.
That is the armor (resist vs poison damage). So If you get a 95 poison resist rune beetle, if it is poisoned, it will suffer very little damage, but still cannot be healed by spells. My idea/conclusion was: Since the poisoning skill was buffed a not so long while back, and gives imunity/resistance chance to poison, and a rune beetle has up to 140 poisoning skill, that should give him the imunity the poisoning skill gives....I do not know, was just a thought, will have to verify this.

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
thats what i was thinking to, but till I or my friend if he starts playing go check it out all we can do is ask hehe. Thanks for all the help.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Rune beetles are without a doubt the best option to take on mobs that do a lot of poison damage. They also do have a limited immunity to poisoning granted by their poisoning skill. So if you are looking for a rune beetle to take on something like miasma, or Dread Horn, etc, you want a rune beetle with high poison resist, high hit points, and high poisoning. And of course, I can't under emphasize the need for it to be well trained.

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
LOl i would not even think about going after Miasma till what ever i take is fully trained, though uoguide says i can take a GD there to get skills over GM. Could you even do Miasma with a rune/mare or rune/baka?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I can kill greater dragons with a rune beetle/mare combo. I don't see why I couldn't take on Miasma. The important thing when using more than one pet is to take the pet you want to "tank" out of the stable first. So in this case you take out your rune beetle first. When you use the "all kill" command for multiple pets on a mob, the mob a.i. will generally target the pet you have taken out of the stable first. The only exception to this is mobs with an aoe attack which can cause them to switch targets. So for Dread Horn for example, I would either leave the nightmare behind, or stay mounted on it. Just remember that when you give the kill command and you are mounted on a pet, the pet you are mounted on will fail the command and lose loyalty - here's hoping that's one of the bugs slated to be fixed after Xmas.

Last edited:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With Rune mare i just stay on the mare unti lthe rune is fighting then jump off and add it to the fight. Misma is hard with low HP critters as she hit pretty hard, the poison isnt all that bad, cure with chiv, mage or Mystic spell and heal with aids.

But if you get your disco temp worked out a GD would be the best.