• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Collections - specifically wizard's crystal reading glasses

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In the past I've resorted to dumping gold in order to get M&S glasses, etc.

But I'd like to find a more cost effective way to get my latest desired item. Plus it will give me something to work on while I continue to work on getting a Summoner's Kilt to drop.

So has anybody ever gotten these before and if so can you tell me what a cost effective way to earn these would be?

Thanks,

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not the free way, but when I have gotten them in the past I just turned in reagents. I go and buy up all the regs I can from the vendors. Each reagent is worth 1 point, so it takes quite a few reagents to get them. Still alot cheaper than paying straight gold to the collection guy.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Yes, reagents excluding black pearl and blood moss as those cost more. Try to buy them from Faction discounted NPCs.
Also a scribe could turn in undesirable spellbooks instead of trashing them.
<edit>Or you can get really enterprising and also buy spellbooks from NPCs for turnin :)

Not the free way, but when I have gotten them in the past I just turned in reagents. I go and buy up all the regs I can from the vendors. Each reagent is worth 1 point, so it takes quite a few reagents to get them. Still alot cheaper than paying straight gold to the collection guy.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What do you find so desirable that you are integrating Wizard Crystal Reading Glasses into your mage suits? I take it you are making a garg mage and the Crown of Arcane Temperament and the Hat of the Magi won't alter.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you find so desirable that you are integrating Wizard Crystal Reading Glasses into your mage suits? I take it you are making a garg mage and the Crown of Arcane Temperament and the Hat of the Magi won't alter.
Considering Wizard Glasses have higher SDI than either, seems kind of obvious. Theyre better for any race, gargoyle doesn't have much to do with it. For PVM once reaching the basic Mage suit requirements SDI is really the best way to go, and Wizard Glasses have the highest SDI for a head piece and can be used by any race. Like I said... Obvious.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Considering Wizard Glasses have higher SDI than either, seems kind of obvious. Theyre better for any race, gargoyle doesn't have much to do with it. For PVM once reaching the basic Mage suit requirements SDI is really the best way to go, and Wizard Glasses have the highest SDI for a head piece and can be used by any race. Like I said... Obvious.
Agree. But maybe not so obvious, as HoM still seems to be the most popular choice. I think it's one of those cases where if you try out your own thing instead of just following what everyone else is doing, you end up ahead.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I use the wizard glasses and I love it. That extra SDI helps when dealing with groups.
The main problem is working resists into the suit if you're also using the pendant of the magi. I ended up sacrificing cold and poison resist on my suit (both are at 45) and I can't say I miss them too much for PvM, even when hunting at Ice Dungeon.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't think it is so obvious. The resists on those glasses are poor. I would gladly run all 70s resists and have a little less SDI than an all 60 suit with 7 more SDI. Both the CAT and HOM have more resists. In champ spawns, that would be a no brainer to me. So I just wanted to hear your logic so I could consider it myself. Thanks.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should be laughably easy to get 70s resists while incorporating glasses and mantle of the fallen/summoners kilt, or battle mage/enchanted kelp. Ive done both. A common mistake I see people making is using pendant of the magi and trying to make up for its lack of resists elsewhere. Some pieces people see as mandatory these days are really holding them back.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy plain, empty spellbooks from NPCs and turn them in. It's fairly tedious, but the most cost-effective route for that particular item. It's somewhat better now that you can just target a container, but since items bought from NPCs drop into your main pack, and you can't target your main pack for the turn in, you still have to drag them into a sub-pack of some sort.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Buy plain, empty spellbooks from NPCs and turn them in. It's fairly tedious, but the most cost-effective route for that particular item. It's somewhat better now that you can just target a container, but since items bought from NPCs drop into your main pack, and you can't target your main pack for the turn in, you still have to drag them into a sub-pack of some sort.
If you have UOAssist, set up a macro for turning in dozens of spellbooks at a time :)

King_Fisher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about "Kasa of the Rajin", you only lose 3%sdi over the glasses but it covers you with more resists. I rock that on my 150%sdi Necro/Mage/Weaver

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What about "Kasa of the Rajin", you only lose 3%sdi over the glasses but it covers you with more resists. I rock that on my 150%sdi Necro/Mage/Weaver
This would work for a human or elf, but I think the OP is gearing up a gargoyle mage. Also, the WCRG have other desirable mods such as MR and LMC. It is easy enough to make up resists elsewhere.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would work for a human or elf, but I think the OP is gearing up a gargoyle mage. Also, the WCRG have other desirable mods such as MR and LMC. It is easy enough to make up resists elsewhere.
Exactly this. Kasa is a good piece, but building a good suit is really about squeezing every little bonus out of the equipment slots available. I like to use a spreadsheet and play around with numbers without having to buy them.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry for not replying, I sort of spaced off this thread.

Yes I'm working a gargoyle mage/mystic which limits the type of items I can use for SDI. Trust me I'd love it if we could alter the Kasa. The resist on that piece are much better than most other SDI items.

Been working on turning in books. Usually an hour at a time is about all I can take before I decide to go do something else ;)

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you get 150 sdi? I thought the max was 126, what am I missing?

Wizard's Crystal Reading Glasses 15
Pendant of the Magi 5
Protector of the Battle Mage 5
Midnight Bracers 10
Greymist Armor Gloves 2
Spell Woven Britches 10
Crystalline Ring 20
Bracelet from Shame 18
War of Shadows Spellbook 30
Cloak Of Death 3
Mana Phasing Orb 5
Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation 3

King_Fisher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a breakdown of my SDI Necro/Mage/Weaver

Kasa of the Rajin 12%
Pendant of the Magi 5%
Protector of the Battle Mage 5%
Spell Woven Britches 10%
Crystalline Ring 20%
Shame Bracelet 18%
Invasion Spellbook 30%
Mana Phasing Orb 5%
Ranger Cloak of Augmentation 3%
Cloak of Death 3%
Total Suit SDI -------------------- > 96%

Thats my suit, the extra SDI comes from Skills/Spells.
Int 150 = 15%SDI
Eval Int = 4.6%SDI
Reaper Form = 10% SDI
Then I get my Bard buff on for the last 15%SDI

Thus my total is roughly 140%SDI
*Used to have Inscription so it was 150% with that bonus, but I have since taken that skill off.
To Increase my damage output, I'm currently shopping for some Slayer Scrappers to add a bit more Oomph to it.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a breakdown of my SDI Necro/Mage/Weaver

Kasa of the Rajin 12%
Pendant of the Magi 5%
Protector of the Battle Mage 5%
Spell Woven Britches 10%
Crystalline Ring 20%
Shame Bracelet 18%
Invasion Spellbook 30%
Mana Phasing Orb 5%
Ranger Cloak of Augmentation 3%
Cloak of Death 3%
Total Suit SDI -------------------- > 96%

Thats my suit, the extra SDI comes from Skills/Spells.
Int 150 = 15%SDI
Eval Int = 4.6%SDI
Reaper Form = 10% SDI
Then I get my Bard buff on for the last 15%SDI

Thus my total is roughly 140%SDI
*Used to have Inscription so it was 150% with that bonus, but I have since taken that skill off.
To Increase my damage output, I'm currently shopping for some Slayer Scrappers to add a bit more Oomph to it.