• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paperdolls to strive for

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would broadly speaking be interested in the viability of cosmetic-only paper dolls like this.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's some really nice paper doll artwork there, thanks for posting these!

-Grimm
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)
I would broadly speaking be interested in the viability, in the live game, of cosmetic-only paper dolls like this.

-Galen's player

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vanity clothing is a big thing in many games these days... However, I'd settle for being able to convert pieces of clothing/armor for another piece of art applicable to that slot and the ability to hide robes...since nearly EVERYONE wears one these days we all look alike.

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those medieval screen grabs are sweet. The architecture is awesome. Check out that floating staircase! and curbs!

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I was looking at other pics from the screenshots posted.. It might as well be considered its own game considering it has its very OWN client.. :D

Ahhh, but in the end it is still illegal! *sigh*

It amazes me that people can do such things..

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, some terrific examples of world building - thanks for posting! One small thing - let's tone down the posts about artwork on those "other" places. I don't want this thread to be interpreted in a negative way. But really like what you've posted here.

Cheers,
Grimm

Alouenikah

Caretaker of Sudiva
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Grimm - is InsideUO okay by dev standards? Any day now I'm planning to start showering you with worldbuilding and fanart, but I just wanted to make sure it's not on par with, you know, the places that will not be named.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am again curious as to why we do not have something similar to this in the live game. Some kind of cosmetic only ability to modify character appearance if only in the paper doll. There are already differences, albeit rather small ones, in the game window appearance and the paper doll appearance so it is not like the concept would be entirely new to UO.

On a related but likely not-specifically-art-related note, for some time we've asked for ability to move item properties from one kind of item to the other in the same equipment slot. (Turn Mace and Shield Glasses into a plate helm; turn an elven robe into a hooded shroud; etc.) While this is obviously more than art we're talking about, the concerns are similar: The ability to get the characters to look something closer to how we see them in our own heads without sacrificing functionality.

-Galen's player

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Wow, some terrific examples of world building - thanks for posting! One small thing - let's tone down the posts about artwork on those "other" places. I don't want this thread to be interpreted in a negative way. But really like what you've posted here.

Cheers,
Grimm
This! I like the pics also! With that said if you post a pic from "other place" and accidently leave in something that does not belong here you will be infracted! same with any text referring to those places ...so its best just to leave the comments off as to where it came from! I am being a little lax here because of the format here and want to be able to have a place to discuss these types of art! But my job here is to enforce the rules in the end!
So that is a warning and will be the only one!

other than that lets enjoy :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I got all excited because I adore my paper doll (Classic Client of course) and I saw the title of this thread and was ready to see something amazing.

Not to say those screens aren't amazing...but they aren't paper dolls..and that's what this thread is all about right?

So yeah, the paperdolls in the top post are nice..it's not the paper doll though that's changed....that's exactly what it looks like now...it's just the clothing and hair styles...the stance is the same, faces are the same...so to me it's not the entire paper doll..it's the clothing and accessories. I like the stance of the charactor model, though holding a book is a bit awkward looking, overall I'm pleased with it and have been since day one, but the clothing could use a bit more love...how hard that would be for you Grimm I have no idea....in context with everything else you've been working on...but vanity will forever be a part of any online game..it's the only persona you have so it has to look good :)

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Larisa, is this what you would mean then by paperdoll changes?

These desktops use to work actually, all you had to was download the file and replace one of your UO files with it to get these desktops, sadly it no longer works due to the client being upgraded and patched so much, the person that made these never updated them.. So they no longer work, I tried to get them working but just couldn't figure it out.. :(

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No actually I am perfectly happy with the way the paper doll UI looks in the CC. It's very...simple...for lack of a better term. There's nothing to distract from the image itself, it's not too fancy, it doesn't have alot of *bling*, all the information you need is right there. I think I want the...*sighs* how do I explain lol....in the images in the original post, that's what we have in the CC right now..and that's perfect for me...the only things changed in those are the clothes and hair....that's what I'd like to see. Right now the hair styles we have are lacking...the long wavy hair is NICE! And the detail on the clothing is MUCH better in those shots.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The issue with the above UI is that in the 2d client you have to modify the game files themselves which as we know is not legal. It's basically the same method used by the "stump hack". It would the legal for those UI packs to be put into the EC though. The "weapon and armor pack" would be a no-no as they are strict in-game assets.

Basically, the designer(s) of the UI packs above need to get to work with the EC! :p

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Larisa, is this what you would mean then by paperdoll changes?
The thing with paperdoll changes is, many times the fonts and whatnot don't seem to match the textures. Only the silver and gold options look well proportioned and colored to me, (and thats strictly my opinion). Even the silver one, while somewhat true to the original paperdoll gump, is killing me with the curved lines of text. And while I realize those armor packs are illegal, the idea of having weapons that have more imaginative proportions (or possibly even true to life, like the long bows, though that might be LotR effecting my brain as I'm not medieval scholar), seems spot on to me.

Though I must say UO's graphics are one of the reasons I keep coming back. There are possibilities, but there's so much about what already exists that just seems right.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would still be curious as to the viability of something like this --cosmetic only and fancied up paper dolls-- in the actual game.

It could be as complex as some technical reason or as simple as "we think not enough people would care relative to the effort."

-Galen's player

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the paper dolls! Grim the art work i just looked at is wonderfull, think we can get a tiny bit of it?? Over the years I have come to know a good deal of non pvp players are designers in home decor and yard art minded. And well... we are very much limited to the old hat stuff... This art exsists why cant we have a revamp of craftables and styles. Oh to be able to see in a bag like that one pic! the inner bag color is perfect!!
I would love to have a go at much I have seen above in the pics! I do also like the tiny items Mesanna and her EM's made like the small trees, fountains, and such that have been used on many shards for the events... the small homeowners would greatly benifit from this size items! And the colors ! they are wonderful. Can I put a tiny bug in someone's bonnet for this consideration?

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Meow, bump! These shots are just jaw dropping in comparison to what we're getting in standard UO, like meow! I :heart: the paper dolls, I like the city shots, and kinda meh on the later art on the paper doll borders in the later shots, but srsly! Look at the tile work in some of those city shots.. Look at the long "pretty" hair on some of the women in the paper dolls! These steps should be taken meow! I know it's a lot to put on Mr. Grimm's plate, but even if it IS a lot of work it shouldn't be looked at as OMGWTF I got to do all this #*(@#$? NO WAI! If done correctly and over a period of time (that is reasonable), it could be viewed as JOB SECURITY! Because this would definately keep paying subscribers subscribing and also may even draw people back and give uo another run because Hey my dude can actually look like a pirate and towns don't look like ass anymore. Just my 2 meows.

And it better not be some "Oh uh due to uh.. hardware constraints uh.. --hey what kinda bs can we feed em to keep them believing we're just not to uh.. you know well, just cover this up so we don't got to lie to e... OH WOW somebody actually doesn't believe us? Srsly? omgwtf? New mngt prz-- Currently we're focusing on uh other "key aspects" right now." excuse. Somebody out in the world however dubious and weirdy for making a private shard took the time out of their well unpaid time, and did this.. THIS. Look at these shots holy cow! And some cat that hasn't even thought for a second they'd rather go play the game for free on a much more well managed private shard is looking at shots from a much more well managed "free" shard and thinkin hey.. what the hell!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Larisa dont get me wrong, I for one like our dolls but thses are stunning and can be done with the right programming. Free shards are developed much more then the early days and this............. well this is Gorgeous! Mind you they dont need to bring it all in at once. Hey grim sweety, perhaps a touch here and there mind you. It doent have to be a big swath of change. I'd love for you to first do that pouch!!! I can see everything in it!!!! This would be a major up for the player to not have to use a eye magnifyer to see in their bags!
I also noticed something that would be cool on the house tool..... up on Valvathos posting there is a pic of a vendor place with tables and deco that are outside the house but within 1 or 2 tiles of that house, tables with merchant wears and such showing the vendor types. Would it be possible to do so for player housing for vendor use to offer the same display setups?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
definately some prtty stuff here. Problem about ourUO is that every bit of pixel art cost money. I would bet all this was done by fans and trust me there is some amazing fan art out there. But look at how many bits of art are just recolored to be something else. The 2d art that actually originated at 3d art, like player grown plants, can easily he recolored and used in that color. To make a new original art like in EC cost money. Then players decidethey don't like it, then what?

People want plants say, with green stalks and colored flowers instead of a flat color change. That requires new art. Seems to me that its a matter of what they are willing to pay for this game when they have many other more main stream games going on.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps its time for a player-created art contest. No, I don't mean like Talents of Sosaria... I'm talking about art that could be put into the game, whether it be static items or paper doll/UI embelishments.

Set up some standard requirements and let the playerbase run with it.

Alouenikah

Caretaker of Sudiva
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps its time for a player-created art contest. No, I don't mean like Talents of Sosaria... I'm talking about art that could be put into the game, whether it be static items or paper doll/UI embelishments.
I really wish there were more player-made content competitions in general. I know I'd try my hand at making new items, new paperdolls, new in-game areas (like the Britain Bank refurbishment)... and it'd be amazing to have a chance to contribute directly to the game.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
definately some prtty stuff here. Problem about ourUO is that every bit of pixel art cost money. I would bet all this was done by fans and trust me there is some amazing fan art out there. But look at how many bits of art are just recolored to be something else. The 2d art that actually originated at 3d art, like player grown plants, can easily he recolored and used in that color. To make a new original art like in EC cost money. Then players decidethey don't like it, then what?

People want plants say, with green stalks and colored flowers instead of a flat color change. That requires new art. Seems to me that its a matter of what they are willing to pay for this game when they have many other more main stream games going on.
With a emphasis on beautifying what we got though.. it could help a long ways towards making UO more mainstream meow.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

I woud definately participate!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I had the opportunity to work in a non-UO isometrical environment with a world bulding game that Raph Koster had in beta before he went off to FB games, Playdom and finally Disney. It was an amazing experience in understanding how isometric games are created as a non gaming artist. I'll share this pic of a game I was working on but never was able to finish, to give you an idea. We could upload art to use as objects or textures to use groundcover or in the wall builder, which worked much like our house builder in UO.

The bookcases had player made modules attached to it to make them containers, the avatar has a life bar but the hunting aspect never got past kicking animated rats around. Hand drawing animated things was maddening, but at that time I had no experience with 3D graphics. The bag in the upper left hand corner was a working UO-esk inventory, and I had a simple collection game going, but everytime I updated the game, everyone lost thier inventory. It was never finished, but I still miss it and all the great people I met there. Raph Koster, btw, was an early dev for UO.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Larisa dont get me wrong, I for one like our dolls but thses are stunning and can be done with the right programming. Free shards are developed much more then the early days and this............. well this is Gorgeous! Mind you they dont need to bring it all in at once. Hey grim sweety, perhaps a touch here and there mind you. It doent have to be a big swath of change. I'd love for you to first do that pouch!!! I can see everything in it!!!! This would be a major up for the player to not have to use a eye magnifyer to see in their bags!
I also noticed something that would be cool on the house tool..... up on Valvathos posting there is a pic of a vendor place with tables and deco that are outside the house but within 1 or 2 tiles of that house, tables with merchant wears and such showing the vendor types. Would it be possible to do so for player housing for vendor use to offer the same display setups?
I'll see if I can find some time to fit it in, I assume you're talking about the bottom of our backpacks in the Classic client?

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That would be very interesting. Fun, and interesting!

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the opportunity to work in a non-UO isometrical environment with a world bulding game that Raph Koster had in beta before he went off to FB games, Playdom and finally Disney. It was an amazing experience in understanding how isometric games are created as a non gaming artist. I'll share this pic of a game I was working on but never was able to finish, to give you an idea. We could upload art to use as objects or textures to use groundcover or in the wall builder, which worked much like our house builder in UO.

The bookcases had player made modules attached to it to make them containers, the avatar has a life bar but the hunting aspect never got past kicking animated rats around. Hand drawing animated things was maddening, but at that time I had no experience with 3D graphics. The bag in the upper left hand corner was a working UO-esk inventory, and I had a simple collection game going, but everytime I updated the game, everyone lost thier inventory. It was never finished, but I still miss it and all the great people I met there. Raph Koster, btw, was an early dev for UO.
Looks nice! Did you guys use XTree for the trees?

-Grimm

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of these graphics are awesome! My only concern is if time is spent on updating the old CC would that mean work would stop on the EC? Dont get me wrong I currently prefer the CC over the EC (Mostly because I'm used to the old graphics, is there anyway that an option could be added to the EC to display CC graphics?) Once EC is at the same level as CC then I'll switch over (Believe me I've tried to switch over to the EC many times... I should try it again really).

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Looks nice! Did you guys use XTree for the trees?

-Grimm
those trees I made with a photo editor. Most people used some cartoony looking trees made in 3DMax. I havefound outsince what an awesome program 3DMax is, got a trial at one point. Much awesome sauce. At that point I was tring to learn blender, but ...

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Some of these graphics are awesome! My only concern is if time is spent on updating the old CC would that mean work would stop on the EC? Dont get me wrong I currently prefer the CC over the EC (Mostly because I'm used to the old graphics, is there anyway that an option could be added to the EC to display CC graphics?) Once EC is at the same level as CC then I'll switch over (Believe me I've tried to switch over to the EC many times... I should try it again really).
I use EC but more for the UI than the graphics. I never could wrap my head around fighting, targeting and such in the classic. Now with Pincos I am actually able to do more than run from reds.

Don't know what I would hope for in UO graphics for the sake of graphics. In Metaplace I complained about cartoony trees and avatars with big heads. My trees were made from photos of actual trees. It was hard to blend that into a UO type of platform. I can't imagine what the planning phases for EC were like. I love games like Skyrim and I am digging the previews for Assasins Creed 3. But UO is built on an outdated platform. What they did with EC was still build over classic. The interesting discussion is how can we alter things on this platform and still have a rocking UI. I think this could be a fun little fan contest.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank You Grim!!! I would be sooo happy if you could.
Got a question for you ....... I know we not to mention the not so UO shards but I had a idea and wondered if it was possible to adapt some of the programming they have done to fit into the UO fraimwork. The work is already done so to speak.... (I know EA dont like outside help) All that would concern me is the charge if any for the use of it. People dont like to give thing for free for a good cause even if it improves UO.

All this paperdolls and houseing i see is so very nice there are small things I wish we could adapt to us.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You know this looks very, very much like an MMORPG I have been trying out (It's in Open beta) called Linkrealms, pretty much like UO only zoned, but it has all the same features and the idea is that you buy your own realm and can edit it anyway you want, build a house, a dungeon, set the rules, etc..

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Where I agree, the paperdoll may need some love, special the EC ones, some of the pics look great and do follow the CC style. Maybe they are a little to fansy. I really would like some mods on clothes, maybe capped as the half of leather. I reallt wish to see more use clothes.
Also the hair style, I would love to see more choices.

I don't really think this screenshots are that special. I sure not like this two ugly desktops. I like what we have in CC and we do have nice looking places too.
I would however love to see some changes to all the unused houses in East Brit but not just the artworks, also the use of them. I would like to see them with rented rooms for new players.

I would also like to see our old guard houses in the wilderness be used for a few npc crafting vendors and a minter in the ones long from town.
At the Fairground I came up with this as the player town around the large guardfort at the desert near Cove was a busy place with alot vendor shops, red player guards trying to stop PK's and Anti PK's from killing the customers. All was welcome if they came in peace.

I think Luna killed the shops as many moved to there. I believe we could bring this place back to life with npc vendors, crafting and inkeepers, a few minters and a moongate. In old dayed we hold bazaars in this building. The place is named Safe Haven on Siege and are now a desert, far long from everything. I think all towns would love to get some life here, just promise me not to place guards there on Siege, we will be fine without.

Now I'm not a great at deco, so it could not be done better. Sorry for the bones laying around, but it was made for Siege :p
Sorry, yes I know this is not about paperdoll and I guess it may not belong here. It was more rely to this screenshots from other places

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not a guard house Freya, that's Stonegate. Why does nobody ever realize that's Stonegate? Maybe the devs need to add a tower to the center of it..

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow.. looking at all of these paperdoll pictures, and the terrain from the 'lost fragmented shards' of the Gem of Immortality.. All I can say is I hope the devs are paying REAL CLOSE ATTENTION... .. .

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You know this looks very, very much like an MMORPG I have been trying out (It's in Open beta) called Linkrealms, pretty much like UO only zoned, but it has all the same features and the idea is that you buy your own realm and can edit it anyway you want, build a house, a dungeon, set the rules, etc..

oh really....*looks*

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone that gets peerage noble titles in the current event arc should get their hands on a devkit and be able to propose alterations to the city they are a noble of. Then citizens of that town should be able to vote yes/no.

Some of our current towns are REALLY ugly. I could make them much prettier if only the devs let me, and I'm sure there are many more talented players out there that are willing to contribute too.