• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raven is Leaving UO because...

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Is there enough random exploration and adventure in this game?

• Total voters
R

RavenWinterHawk

When I say leaving I mean a single account that holds my stuff and just not playing but an hour maybe every 10 days. In the hey-day I had 7 plus accounts, played daily and really enjoyed the game. I played oh... maybe 13 years.

The game... has been a bit lack luster for years then it would get sparklely then dusty. My biggest problem, with hopes it helps, in the future is that lack of random adventure and game play. I wanted to be able to go across the land and find new adventure, random events, and all that dribble I talked about in the past.

YES YES Ive create a naked character and built her up. YES YES Ive been to Fel and have soulstones of all skills and my point is why do I need to re-invent and do the same old to stay occcupied. ADVENTURE... random.

Lets see...

Fishing fun... now what once you level it up. Hmmm. Did I say the level word?

Stygian Abyss was great... reason to go in the dungeon then a bone-head (sorry) move to allow the ingredients unique to the Abyss were suddenly spawning everywhere. Silly move.

Loot changes to monster... (this was the kicker) I waited years for change. It wasn't quite random adventure but the loot was really fun. You could find stuff that had value. You could build sets but then bone-head (sorry) move to introduce the complexity of a silly re-forging if that is what it is even called. Why spend all that time to create loot changes and then render it useless?

Why is the above useless? I made 2 billion gold learning to vend and be a GM merchant. Suddenly, i could just buy stuff. NO NEED to treasure hunt...

The complexity of adding layers of crafting may seem creative but in the end it adds little. Nothing wears out or gets lost in the game.

Finally the EM events are not what I want. I appreciate the effort but do you know what it is like to have a life and have to find, follow and time events.... awful. I can't do it. I just want to go explore and find something new.

Oh and finally finallh, I did enjoy collect EM items, rares but GEEEZ after all the EM ITEMS and RARES that came into marke in the last year... you know what.... you end up with little rarity or collectability because the market is so flooded with random 'rare' stuff, no one knows what is what. So you lock a few in the house and say wow.

When UO becomes a game of exploration and adventure again and not recall, rinse and wash... Ill try it again.

Good luck to all.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hold on a sec matey, Everyone whined that imbueing killed crafting, now they came out with reforging (albeit a bit complex) and you're whining that reforging killed pvm? Well i have to say, you can't reforge jewelry or splintering weapons so you can still pvm. I think it's balanced rather well now (albeit complicated)

I

imported_CatLord

Thank you for all the great posts along the past years... and all your lessons!

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. Just giving up on UO will not let me take up golfing or a bass boat payment. This slow time is letting me catch up on mining. Changing up current content is enough. If they just had the two brain cells to rub together things would not be this bad. Simple thing of rotating in 5 new arty deco items in Doom every 6 months. More items on the list would of made desired new or old items harder to get. Even removing a random item with a public notice would of made collection a thing (Really with the turn in how many think the Knights Breastplate is worth displaying?) The BOD rewards is just a good example of a world with only vanilla and cherry ice cream. Not a Baskin Robins in site with for a month only special flavor like Cotton Candy Birthday Cake Swirl Ice Cream. Just the same old "Will that be in a cup or a cone for your vanilla ice cream, Sir?"

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my characters is currently wearing a suit she looted in Shame. In her bank are more similar pieces from which she will build another suit when this one is worn out or lost - that's the way we used to do things, remember?

Sure she could get a suit crafted, and she does have an insured suit in her pack for those times when she dies and needs an insured suit to get back to her body, but it's imbued, it's not all powdered and eventually it will wear out.

Do I need to hunt and save suit pieces? Not really, no. But it's fun to do it that way.
Just because something can be done an easier way doesn't mean you have to do it that way, if there's a more fun way to do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree there are flaws in every game..... some more fatal than others... Most games today are nothing but eye candy grinds. I'm afraid where ever you may look you will find the same thing... level grinding... quest grinding... lack of depth and vision.

If I could return one thing to UO it would be to breathe the RP life back in... Somehow make the RP aspect of UO more appealing... with a strong RP base going on there was always something happening... someone to fight... somewhere to hang... folk to join you in vanquishing evil... or good... Usually some city to defend or conquer... But now there is little left of that... most cities are empty and devoid of people... so many don't care to build that sort of play anymore... the game has become for many about greed... buying and selling and trade of items...

Much has been lost and forgotten or taken away.

Few games offer that which UO had... Few could even begin to give what UO still could...

R

RavenWinterHawk

I agree there are flaws in every game..... some more fatal than others... Most games today are nothing but eye candy grinds. I'm afraid where ever you may look you will find the same thing... level grinding... quest grinding... lack of depth and vision.

If I could return one thing to UO it would be to breathe the RP life back in... Somehow make the RP aspect of UO more appealing... with a strong RP base going on there was always something happening... someone to fight... somewhere to hang... folk to join you in vanquishing evil... or good... Usually some city to defend or conquer... But now there is little left of that... most cities are empty and devoid of people... so many don't care to build that sort of play anymore... the game has become for many about greed... buying and selling and trade of items...

Much has been lost and forgotten or taken away.

Few games offer that which UO had... Few could even begin to give what UO still could...
Yes I have tried siege. Yes I have restarted poor with no gold. Yes I have searched for ways to stay entertained. I am bored with the current game play. It is just to much rinse and repeat.

When I have to personally search for ways to make and old game enjoyable that is when it is time to retire. I have to say DIABLO III looks like it might be the replacement. Maybe it will grow an MMPORG.

Anyway... UO needs one thing and that is what I originally posted. A reason to adventure with friends that is random and unscripted.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes I have tried siege. Yes I have restarted poor with no gold. Yes I have searched for ways to stay entertained. I am bored with the current game play. It is just to much rinse and repeat.

When I have to personally search for ways to make and old game enjoyable that is when it is time to retire. I have to say DIABLO III looks like it might be the replacement. Maybe it will grow an MMPORG.

Anyway... UO needs one thing and that is what I originally posted. A reason to adventure with friends that is random and unscripted.
Try hanging out with RPers. I have done some of the most fun and random things with totally inane RP reasons being the only motivating factor.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have said it before UO is not a spoon feed fun! You need to make it fun yourself uch like in real life.. How ever if you do not enjoy going in search of your own fun then UO will be boring for you

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally the EM events are not what I want. I appreciate the effort but do you know what it is like to have a life and have to find, follow and time events.... awful. I can't do it. I just want to go explore and find something new.

I agree with this. Besides, me following EM events usually goes like this:

Follow EM along with a bunch of other people
Try to do my part when the fighting starts
Client Crash
Log back in to Ooo oOOoo OOoo
Try to get back into the action
Client Crash
Log on again
Finally get rezzed
Get back to my body
Everyone is gone

You know what though...Theres one thing that has been driving me crazy. This might not be a big deal to any of you but it really gets to me. Why do i miss so much? Something is wrong with that! I have 120 Fencing and 100 Tactics but for some reason, i will sometimes miss 3-4 times in a row. Perhaps this would not bother me as much if i was fighting some tough monsters but it's just mud pies and earth eles. Meanwhile, sometimes these monsters seem to be able to hit me without missing and i have 100 parry and 80 bushido.

I don't quite understand why this character who has perfected his weapon can miss and get hit so frequently by monsters that have <100 skill in everything. Now i know that mud pies and earth eles do not pose much of a threat but this happens everywhere. In fact, it almost seems like when the monsters think they have a chance to defeat me, they do so by making me defeat myself. It almost seems that every time i die while fighting routine monsters it is due to the fact that suddenly i am unable to land a blow and the monsters goes into some super mode when they can bypass my defense.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think its safe to say he is leaving because of no new content, and he is getting tired of doing the same things every day.... planting = yawn peerless = ( all soloed ) yawn Itemcollecting = yawn House deco = yawn ... etc.. etc.. We need more content, and random dungeon revamps are not offering what we want.. In fact the only thing I see dungeon revamps doing is hindering me training some of my lower skilled characters because now i haz to beat on monster for 30 minutes to kill it. lol good luck at 50ish swords etc.. etc... I made a post similar to this and all that happened to it was trolls and derailment /shrug to the OP I hope u have a better time expressing your concern of the stagnant waters of uo.... BTW all you that offer up the suggestion of gimping your self to make new content are delusional. We have Developers and pay a competitive fee every month to play. I would expect at least 3 to 4 new Peerless encounters random add ons etc.. etc.. a year. But no its cool of them to go break pre existing systems that work ( for ages ) and revamp dungeons ( after revamp lucky to see a week of heavy population before no one really visits again ) I play on Baja and shame is empty 95% of the time I am there......

( edit ) lol but the devs response would be... But at least there are people there 5% of the time!!!

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Try hanging out with RPers. I have done some of the most fun and random things with totally inane RP reasons being the only motivating factor.
Every time i try to play with RP people on my server I feel like I am being interrogated by Nazis ;c ;c Maybe its just me but they really do come off like that.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have said it before UO is not a spoon feed fun! You need to make it fun yourself uch like in real life.. How ever if you do not enjoy going in search of your own fun then UO will be boring for you
I found what I like to do in UO Solo peerless... The thing is, when was the last time they added a new one past High Seas ?? I am tiered of fighting the same ones when I have all the rewards I want and then some ;c ( now its just for pixel crack )

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I guess I'm easy to please. But then, unlike many other long-term players, I haven't "done it all". There's so much content in UO and so many areas left to explore, I doubt I'll ever be bored with it.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree here wholeheartedly. When I sit down at my computer and login to UO, I stop being a Wife/Mom/Grandma/Employee. I become Rhiannon, who is an old soul who has been in Britannia for many a year. I am relatively rich, respected for my good deeds, own a large home which I am constantly changing and adding to. I have 5 "sisters" whom all enjoy totally different activities. Some days, when I have nothing else I'm interested in doing, I take a ride out into the country and see what there is to see. I once had a friend who embarked on a journey to walk (not ride or recall) to each and every virtue shrine. Took him months. My guild recently had an event at the Yew inn/bank to feed the hungry.

The world is what you make it. But like a poster said above: if none of that is enough for you to keep you here and interested, then by all means take a break. I heavily encourage you NOT to cancel your account. I did for four years and am still kicking myself in the butt because of it. Take a break. Take years if you want. But the $13 a month is more than worth it for when you come back.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I do not RP myself, I have hung around RPers on Chessy some (in stealth).
Not really my cup of tea per se, but my last "encounter" was kind of interesting to watch....seemed like some sort of secret meating I was listening in on...and at times, I know they knew someone they did not know was listening....

Now, if I could just find someone to sell some information to. LOL

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Although I do not RP myself, I have hung around RPers on Chessy some (in stealth).
Not really my cup of tea per se, but my last "encounter" was kind of interesting to watch....seemed like some sort of secret meating I was listening in on...and at times, I know they knew someone they did not know was listening....

Now, if I could just find someone to sell some information to. LOL
If you let me know who they were I might be able to do that for you. :stir:

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you let me know who they were I might be able to do that for you. :stir:
Well, there's my problem...it might have been you... :)
Last thing I need is to show up at the drop site with the information, and get a poison dagger in the back for my trouble.

Only dead men can keep secrets.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, there's my problem...it might have been you... :)
Last thing I need is to show up at the drop site with the information, and get a poison dagger in the back for my trouble.

Only dead men can keep secrets.
True but I never use posion daggers to stab someone in the back. Also I have only had one secret meeting in the past few months.;)

B

Bella

I love UO too but have recently found another game that I also love. You should check out our Guild Wars 2 Stratics site and read up on Guild Wars 2. You may find what you feel you are missing from UO. It is currently in beta but is scheduled for release in 2012. GW2 is so much fun and reminds me so much of UO from when I started playing so many years ago. Anyhow, just thought I'd toss it out there for ya.

Good luck with whatever MMO path you take.

Bella

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No matter how good a game your playing is there may come a time when you just get bored with it. Or at the least, a break.
I agree with this sentiment. What I think we are seeing is "MMORPG Exhaustion". The age of discovery for players is over. We've experimented with every game system and documented it. Now when new content comes out it is completed for the most part within a few months of release. So it doesn't surprise me that people are getting burned out. What I will say, however, is that UO seems to have a common phenomenon of luring folks back in after a few months or even a few years away. I think the rich sandbox makes Brittiannia an attractive place where adventurers want to return and re-explore. And housing was one of the best ideas ever created. It gave people a sense of ownership in their online world.

I have left once before and came back. I think the reason I have no interest in leaving now is that I get to play for at most an hour a day every day of the week. There are still many things that I have not done in game. I think for those that spent multiple hours everyday in game and have done it "all", are going to be more prone to sufferring MMORPG Exhaustion and need a break. Enjoy your time outside Brittannia and we'll see you again in due time.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
ICE CREAMS SUMBUDDY SAYS ICE CREAMS?
MAKES A GOBLIN COMES PLAY ON PIT MUCK

S

Sevin0oo0

Why do i miss so much? Something is wrong with that!
Start a new thread, exactly that. I agree 100% and would come there and voice my thoughts on why I think it's happening and how disastrous it is, giving further examples.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But I think UO is no longer really an MMORPG..... The RP has gone out of it long ago..... though they try to keep it in it's not working for most of us...... and the MMO part it has become a soloists game..... it's no longer something for multiple players... there is very little multiple player about UO anymore.... about the only time I see more than 4 or 5 people do ANYTHING in game has been at Raresfest and for EM events but that is so folk can get stuff to sell.... only about 5% of those who actually attend EM events do so for the event and RP aspect of it... the other 95% of the folk there are just there to get stuff.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But I think UO is no longer really an MMORPG..... The RP has gone out of it long ago..... though they try to keep it in it's not working for most of us...... and the MMO part it has become a soloists game..... it's no longer something for multiple players... there is very little multiple player about UO anymore.... about the only time I see more than 4 or 5 people do ANYTHING in game has been at Raresfest and for EM events but that is so folk can get stuff to sell.... only about 5% of those who actually attend EM events do so for the event and RP aspect of it... the other 95% of the folk there are just there to get stuff.
There is a ton of RP going on right now on baja. I RP over there even though I play primarily on Chesy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have zero desire to leave my homeland..... and with as many accounts and characters as I have switching shards is NOT an option.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have zero desire to leave my homeland..... and with as many accounts and characters as I have switching shards is NOT an option.
Wasn't saying you should just that you can expand your options if your finding it quiet on your shard. Maybe one day RPers will travel shards as much as pvpers do but if we bring things up on one shard and more RPers come back then all the shards will likely grow.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think most sane people are down to a single account knowadays

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have very little desire to start all over on another shard. Sadly that is the case with many folk.... I don't care about Baja history... I am sorry to say that's just it.... I care about GL history.... at least the RP history of GL's... and I've no desire to learn what is the history of Baja.... or any other shard for that matter.... not that I think less of them in any way just don't care. I have little to no desire to work up more characters on another shard..... to learn who's who on another shard... or to try to "establish" myself on any other shard. Not saying that I don't like RP or that I wouldn't want to have more RP things going on... Just that well... I don't want to take the time to do all that all over again.

Likely this is why I don't quit UO. I quite honestly have zero desire to start learning another game. I can understand others that have zero desire to move to GL's... to build RP there. They have no idea the history or the life on GL's. I could direct them to our website and all but really no one hardly reads these forums... can't really expect anyone to read ours. Most people don't even read the Herald. Which means likely they aren't about to read a bunch of RP stories or anything... Sadly most people just want to log in and play... either gathering junk or selling things or just hunting and killing.... They don't have any clue what's going on outside of that. Infact I'd wager that there is a good size percentage of folk playing who have NO clue who Dawn, Zhah, or Mondain are.

They have even less idea who Minax was or who Exodus is... A sad number of folk haven't a clue where Ver Lor Reg even is... And if you asked about I doubt many even know where Verity Isle is.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck Raven on your travels . I hope you find something to enjoy RL or another game on which ever you decide :)

*Toasts to good health and happiness*