• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blood worm anemic attack?

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was sifting through the sand, a blood worm spawned and did some anemic attack which lowered my int by 39 and my strength by 40. This caused 3 pieces of my armor to drop in my backpack (plate: legs, tunic and Arms) My strength before this was 125. I think that this was a bit much as the max strength one can have is 125 this totally makes wearing plate armor useless when fighting these creatures. If I am at max strength 125 no spell should make me lose my armor. If I chose to have lower strength to increase dex or int then I take that chance of losing my armor due to this. (by losing I mean unequiping during the fight) Keep in mind I did not die but was just shocked that this happened.

S

Sevin0oo0

While you were affected, did you get a notification icon, like when poisoned, or just a system message?

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was sifting through the sand, a blood worm spawned and did some anemic attack which lowered my int by 39 and my strength by 40. This caused 3 pieces of my armor to drop in my backpack (plate: legs, tunic and Arms) My strength before this was 125. I think that this was a bit much as the max strength one can have is 125 this totally makes wearing plate armor useless when fighting these creatures. If I am at max strength 125 no spell should make me lose my armor. If I chose to have lower strength to increase dex or int then I take that chance of losing my armor due to this. (by losing I mean unequiping during the fight) Keep in mind I did not die but was just shocked that this happened.
You can have strength up to 150 by using items with the Strength Bonus Mod.
You can also have the Lower Requirements Mod on the items so their strength requirements are lower.

Not saying that the attack is not, possibly a little powerful, but there are ways to wear plate items and not have them drop.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't see why the world couldn't have such a creature? A special attack that weakens you so much that you have to discard heavy plate pieces in order to continue the fight seems reasonable.

Hypothetically, would you prefer instead to be stuck in place because you couldn't move (ie no strength left and no time to unstrap heavy plate while creature pummels you to death ) or decreased swing time (ie you are so weak you can't swing your weapon as fast or at all)?

Is wishing that these things don't happen to you just a personal choice or something that you think wouldn't really occur in a fantasy world?

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hypothetically, would you prefer instead to be stuck in place because you couldn't move (ie no strength left and no time to unstrap heavy plate while creature pummels you to death ) or decreased swing time (ie you are so weak you can't swing your weapon as fast or at all)?

...So I was talking to my ex-wife and...

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind I did not die but was just shocked that this happened.
I commented on that notion a bit ago when they came out. Not a lot of people bother killing bloodworms and it's about time people noticed their special abilities, hehe. It's an example of a creature in-game that isn't OP outright--they don't have 10,000 HP or impossible resists--but they can catch you off guard if the RNG lands a few specials in a row. Kind of similar to a samurai NPC, actually, as they can land a critical strike lightning strike with a halberd and do a good 35 damage or so to you after lulling you to sleep with a few weak hits from a katana or the like. Sneaky armor ignores.

The Dreadhorn can lower your STR by about the same amount with magic curse and its passive, area effect curse (its "emo" curse). Of course, it's a peerless, has tons of HPs, poisons, casts magic at range, etc., etc. Just to say having 125 STR isn't necessarily the end-all safe way to wear armor requiring 95 STR to wear. Oh--and in addition to boosting STR with items to the hard cap of 150, I often use purple petals as well :).

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just the point that the weight dif from leather should have some bonus wearing plate. Just rock dumb that tailor barb kits are way easier to get and the harder smith high end making plate ahs no bonus for the stones. Leather armor should have some faster wear property or something. And if it is not oiled every few hours make to much noise to med in. Add in some high RNG chance for a crit double damage that plate and bone armor is immune. Four eyed freak headgear should not block a crit hit like a plate helm. Need to bring the lesser dex and LHC while wearing plate while certain damage bonuses are negated. Bring back the archer suit. There should be some balance to effect of wearing a bone helm over a skullcap.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We needed a way to penalize all those plate-wearers anyway. That stuff is overpowered, amirite?

H

Heartseeker

I commented on that notion a bit ago when they came out. Not a lot of people bother killing bloodworms and it's about time people noticed their special abilities, hehe. It's an example of a creature in-game that isn't OP outright--they don't have 10,000 HP or impossible resists--but they can catch you off guard if the RNG lands a few specials in a row. Kind of similar to a samurai NPC, actually, as they can land a critical strike lightning strike with a halberd and do a good 35 damage or so to you after lulling you to sleep with a few weak hits from a katana or the like. Sneaky armor ignores.

The Dreadhorn can lower your STR by about the same amount with magic curse and its passive, area effect curse (its "emo" curse). Of course, it's a peerless, has tons of HPs, poisons, casts magic at range, etc., etc. Just to say having 125 STR isn't necessarily the end-all safe way to wear armor requiring 95 STR to wear. Oh--and in addition to boosting STR with items to the hard cap of 150, I often use purple petals as well :).
What plants can you get purple petals from?

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While you were affected, did you get a notification icon, like when poisoned, or just a system message?
I got a message but did not get notification icon.

I was also looking at my Gargoyle and noticed that the strength requirement to wear stone armor is only 40. this seems odd to me, one would think that wearing metal would be lighter than stone.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why the world couldn't have such a creature? A special attack that weakens you so much that you have to discard heavy plate pieces in order to continue the fight seems reasonable.

Is wishing that these things don't happen to you just a personal choice or something that you think wouldn't really occur in a fantasy world?
I was not wishing that this did not happen to me. I had just not had this happen to me before this, nor heard of this happening to another player. With the creature in question being part of the current story arc, I thought I would share this with others that did not know about the special attack.

Do I think the attack is overpowered? Yes
Have I learned from this? Yes
Do I think that this is a game changing event (me taking my toys and going home)? NO

As to your hypothetical statement-- Makes no sense to the topic at hand

So to sum it up

This special SEEMs to me to be overpowered and I was not aware of this. I am sure that others might not have know about how much strength the character looses during this attack. I have adjusted my characters Armor to compensate for this in the future

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not wishing that this did not happen to me. I had just not had this happen to me before this, nor heard of this happening to another player. With the creature in question being part of the current story arc, I thought I would share this with others that did not know about the special attack.

Do I think the attack is overpowered? Yes
Have I learned from this? Yes
Do I think that this is a game changing event (me taking my toys and going home)? NO

As to your hypothetical statement-- Makes no sense to the topic at hand

So to sum it up

This special SEEMs to me to be overpowered and I was not aware of this. I am sure that others might not have know about how much strength the character looses during this attack. I have adjusted my characters Armor to compensate for this in the future
LOL..When I started in UO, this happened to me a lot whenever a mage cast weaken on me and I was not strong enough. Then I learned to dabble in my stats and the items I wore. Imagine before there were Strength Bonus modes and you ran around with 100 strength...LOL.

Wearing Plate fighting a Lich...
Bam...your naked.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL..When I started in UO, this happened to me a lot whenever a mage cast weaken on me and I was not strong enough. Then I learned to dabble in my stats and the items I wore. Imagine before there were Strength Bonus modes and you ran around with 100 strength...LOL.

Wearing Plate fighting a Lich...
Bam...your naked.
Yep, i remember that. At least back then, even though Platemail made you less effective against Mages (Due to the DEX penalty, you didn't swing as fast), it was superior protection against weapons compared to Leather. Not so nowadays. Leather offers just as much protection as Plate does now, while being meddable and not having such a high STR requirement. Despite this, i still wear Metal Armor on my Warriors, just for the looks.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, i remember that. At least back then, even though Platemail made you less effective against Mages (Due to the DEX penalty, you didn't swing as fast), it was superior protection against weapons compared to Leather. Not so nowadays. Leather offers just as much protection as Plate does now, while being meddable and not having such a high STR requirement. Despite this, i still wear Metal Armor on my Warriors, just for the looks.
In the early days the different armors also use to protect against different types of weapons too (ie. bash damage, slash damage, arrow damage etc..)
It made wearing leather vs plate vs chain more important. I remember being able to beat the armor pieces off people with a stave til they were naked while they were stuck in place with no stamina. I really miss some of that old code! But I think that all went away when they dumbed everything down to the current resistance system. Of course a lot of the new players have no idea what they missed. :)

S

Sevin0oo0

Part of the challenge warning given for Shame's debut was "can you do it w/ just an apron?" Perhaps at go-live, they'll release an Ancient Bloodworm, takes most of your strength for 237seconds, so you'll be fighting in an apron, sash, and bonnet?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
In the early days the different armors also use to protect against different types of weapons too (ie. bash damage, slash damage, arrow damage etc..)
It made wearing leather vs plate vs chain more important. I remember being able to beat the armor pieces off people with a stave til they were naked while they were stuck in place with no stamina. I really miss some of that old code! But I think that all went away when they dumbed everything down to the current resistance system. Of course a lot of the new players have no idea what they missed. :)
I remember that - crushing my enemies armors with a big hammer into pieces...fine valorite plate and all - they cried! muahahahha

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, yeah. Slashing/Blunt/Piercing damage. Plate was great against Slashing/Piercing, but sucked against Blunt damage. Chain was average in all aspects. Leather was good against Blunt, but sucked against Slashing/Piercing. Bone Armor also had a very good balance, and the highest innate AR of any armor type, even above Plate, while requiring less STR and penalizing DEX less. It just couldn't be crafted back then, so no GM Exceptional Bone Armor.

Swordsman had a huge variety of weapons to choose from, from the fast and balanced Katana (Which could be DPed), to the ponderous, burst heavy Halberd. GM LJ Swordsman also did a huge amount of damage with Axes/Bardiches/Halberds after Renaisance or so. Axes/Bardiches/Halberds could deliver Concussion Blows that halved the opponents INT (Crippling Mages), after Renaissance. Swordsman were the most versatile warriors of UO.

Fencers had the quick and nimble weapons, ranging from the Kryss (Almost always DPed) to the nasty Long Spear. Long Spears were able to do a 3 second unbreakable Paralyzing Blow after Renaissance. Fencers were the finesse warrior of UO, and most often employed poisoned weapons.

Macers had from the quick and crippling Q-Staff, to the colossal burst of the Warhammer. The Q-Staff was fast and damaged the hell out of your opponents stamina, to where they couldn't even run. While the other Macing weps (Especially the Warhammer) would obliterate an opponents armor within seconds. Warhammers were able to do Crushing Blow after Renaissance, which surpassed the damage of even a Halberd being wielded by a GM LJ Swordsman. No Macing wep could be poisoned though (And none still can). Macers were the brutish juggernaught warriors of UO. Of all the Warrior types, other Warriors feared facing up against a Macer the most. Macers kept Blacksmiths in business, considering people were constantly having to have their armor replaced after a fight with a Macer.
Sadly, most of the uniqueness innate to Macers has been removed. Macers no longer destroy armor at an astounding rate, and they no longer do incredible amounts of stamina damage or burst damage, for the most part. They're also constantly getting shafted when it comes to Artifact Weapons being introduced. The only decent Macing wep introduced within the past 10 years, is the Diamond Mace.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the old times:
I remember having magic resist for not dropping my war hammer when fighting against Lichs and similar casters.
To the op: So i assume that your char doenst have magic resists?