• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege Detective

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I could create a thief on Siege and join all my buddies in THIEF, but it just seems so . . . I dunno, done. How about some advice for detective templates, just for fun?

Here are a couple I'd considered:

Archer/Detective
120 Archery
110 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Tracking
100 Alchemy/Mage?
99.9 Detect
90 Heal
0.1 Forensics

Mage/Detective
120 Eval
115 Mage
115 Ninja
100 Tracking
100 Hide
99.9 Detect (or alch?)
70 Stealth
0.1 Forensic

Here's the main problems I'm running into. First, it is funner to play a detective with hiding, stealth, and ninja, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit these skills with mage, eval, tracking, and detect. Second, I have never PvPed with a mage - only with an archer and dexxer. Third, can I have the overhead title "the Detective" with only .1 forensics? Fourth, aside from my thief, this will be my first toon on Siege, so I'm pretty sure I don't have the right perspective on skill allocation (e.g., pretty sure I don't need 120 archery on Siege, as few thieves are going to have 45 dci; may not need 115 eval, as few thieves will have 120 resist).

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. :thumbup1:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe something like:

120 Eval
115 Mage
115 Ninja
100 Tracking
100 Hiding
99.9 Detect
70 Stealth
0.1 Forensics

Whatcha think? Can I catch me some Siege thieves with it?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I remember hearing once that you can set your forensics at 0.0 and turn the skill arrow up. When you FE someone, if you get a 0.1 gain, that person is a thief. Is this inaccurate?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yeah, I'm thinking I won't be able to stealth in animal form and kill folks at the same time. Booo. :/

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been contemplating the same thing. I love my stealth player. I've played a dungeon rogue first, and then a thief, for so long it just seems natural.
I was wondering pvp'er or pk'er. With things the way that they are, a detective is going to have to be a pk'er. Fortunately, as a rule, thieves don't have the best fighting templates. Of course, neither does a detective. Oh well- a battle of purse swinging and slapping it'll have to be I guess lol.....

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's hard for me to separate myself from stealth/wolf form. I've been stealing too long. >.<

Basically, if I don't have hiding/stealth, I'm concerned that every time I show up thieves will leave. Then again, maybe Siege thieves are a little gutsier than Atlantic thieves. Maybe I'll just drop ninja. I can stealth into an area while hidden, mount up, and wait.

120 Eval
120 Mage
100 Tracking
100 Hiding
100 Detect
100 FE
80 Stealth

Not sure 120 eval/120 mage can kill folks, though, especially without med or an expensive lmc/mr suit. Perhaps I should also drop stealth and add med. *face palm*

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
After reviewing some popular Siege thief templates, it appears that virtually all of them have tracking and detect. Thus, hiding/stealth will probably be irrelevant, as they'll know I'm there as soon as they use tracking.

Now, I'm back to the archer idea. However, I do want to be able to get around without walking everywhere. With imbuing, I could potentially get my hands on a nice SC bow, so maybe I could do this:

115 Archery
115 Tactics
100 Mage (heals, cures, buffs, earthquake, res, gates)
100 Med (heals, specials)
100 FE
100 Detect
100 Tracking

Better?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
NM. Got it figured out. Mage/Eval/Taming/Lore/FE/Tracking/Stealth. Track, reveal, para, all kill. I predict that he'll be an annoying, but effective, thief catcher.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would dearly love to know how this works out. It may be some time before my forensics gets up to par; I'd still like to know how others are making out. I haven't seen a single thief post against detectives; in fact, all posts are for them. They simply add to the excitement and lure. I'd like to add something to this game, in a realistic way. If I could add excitement and lure to a profession, I would indeed be happy.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've got some buddies in THIEF/Siege. I'm in THIEF Europa. I'm hoping that I can play the role of the villain in our stories. Going to take a few months to train up, but I'm looking forward to see how it works. ^^

B

Bruce Mcduff

Im almost tempted to drop my template now on SP and try this out...alot of good ideas and being a detective sounds fun, but who knows. Let us know how its playing out and keep us informed.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im almost tempted to drop my template now on SP and try this out...alot of good ideas and being a detective sounds fun, but who knows. Let us know how its playing out and keep us informed.
I guess there was nothing to keep us informed about.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It'd be funner to play a detective on Siege if there were thieves there to detect. :/

Donal Mor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thieves seem to be in Magincia.

Years ago, there used to be a much reknowned detective on Siege by the name of Sgt. Schnizzel. Don't fully recall his template but GM Detect Hidden was definitely there along with some tracking. You used to be able to get away with 25.1 tracking. He would use weapons that ensnared runaways. He did it for the roleplay and the chase. The template was never great for combat PvP or PvM.

Last edited: