• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is what paperdolls should look like..

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... Those are definitly nice...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While these are nice, and put UO clothing to shame...and I'd like to see such clothing added... Isn't posting free shard stuff against the RoC?

King_Fisher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The dual wielding looks way cool in Sauron-esque armor dual wielding, but his char is still single sword in game. The rapier/leather sash is way cool too. They should just allow us the ability to either make certain armor invisible on the paperdoll or allow us to layer our clothing to determine which article of clothing should be on top. I hate wearing robes all the time.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While these are nice, and put UO clothing to shame...and I'd like to see such clothing added... Isn't posting free shard stuff against the RoC?
No, you just cannot mention any "specific free shards" or post links that leads to one.. Pictures are fine if they are uploaded to imageshack/photobucket etc and aren't marked in anyway.. ;)

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think those paperdolls still old even with nicer items... a cool paperdoll would be having a 3d model with cool items on, but since we will never see 3d UO, probably a tool to customize the items aspect would be the first step :p

S

Sevin0oo0

1st on left,2nd row. Love the sleeves
top row, the guy w/ white hat almost has a corsair feel to it
For RP, why couldn't we have legs that appeared to be a Peg-leg?
You should have this moved to Grimm's Corner, since he's Da Man
and I bet anything they can do, he can do better - it shouldn't matter where inspiration comes from, as long as it might make it into our game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly I'm of the impression that days up updates to paperdolls and complicated art such as spirtework are over. Seems to me UO is in service mode only. Meaning they will fix bugs and add small bits of pixel crack but the days of expansions..... TRUE expansions are over. Things like SA, ML and SE are gone. We may not even get another High Seas for all that matters.

Sure they may recolor items and give them up with new names but truly "new" things will be few and far between.

Not saying I don't like those images because I'd totally kill for new dresses like that! Not to mention I'm more impressed with the hairstyles. And I would LOVE to have a surcoat with an emblem on it... especially ones for the different cities or virtues... or even facets... But how likely do you really think any of that is?

I'm gonna have to say pretty close to nil.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what GrimmOmen... you know... does. Like clearly they have him doing something, but it can't be art, because anytime anyone even imagines an idea might require new art, well that's just a complete non-starter.

T

Tazar

No, you just cannot mention any "specific free shards" or post links that leads to one.. Pictures are fine if they are uploaded to imageshack/photobucket etc and aren't marked in anyway.. ;)
That is not exactly true...

R. Images created using shard emulators may be posted on the forum.
Many of our participants create cartoons utilizing shard emulators. These cartoons add tremendous value to our forums and are perfectly acceptable.
Pics from a shard emulator are allowed - pics known to be from a freeshard are not.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

While the increased color depth and new designs are nice, as with most everything else with the 2d client, the resolution is just too small for current day.

3d paperdolls would have been better overall, especially with the features given as they were in the 3d client... what you saw on the paperdoll was how the character looked ingame, the ability to rotate the character in the paperdoll, etc. Unfortunately, they decided to backpedal from 3d mobile characters giving us large animation downloads and not nearly as versatile paperdolls.

Right now, GrimmOmen's been working on the back end systems of the graphics and basically had to build an entirely new system to add in new artwork (which had been needed at least since ML) so that the artwork would look at least somewhat consistent between the clients and we do not end up with badly scaled versions of one model in the other client (see the old 3d models that were back-ported into 2d). Secondly, he's been working on the second step of the High-Res art upgrade for the EC (buildings and walls) as well as fixing a few art bugs as posted by the players. And little blurbs in other places mention a couple things such as an Animated Tile Tool and Multi-Tile Animated Tool. So he's DEFINITELY up to something.

W

Woodsman

That is not exactly true...

Pics from a shard emulator are allowed - pics known to be from a freeshard are not.
As a matter of fact, Stratics used to host a shard emulator. Even hosted an IRC channel for it on the main IRC.Stratics.com site. That was under different management obviously, but I remember some of the people involved with it.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense, but...

That kind of graphic would require that the UO artists understood that putting in FULL COLORED ARTWORK to be hued is NOT how you use the UO hue system. But they can't seem to stop doing it, and can't seem to be bothered to take the time to go back and fix the art from various expansions where clothing was put into the game with full color...

And since they can't grasp THAT simple concept, trust me, they won't be able to grasp other seemingly simply concepts either. I mean, no offense, but... they presently have to export walls shrunk down and then stretch them in order to get them into the proper perspective... which makes one wonder just what they're using to render.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a matter of fact, Stratics used to host a shard emulator. Even hosted an IRC channel for it on the main IRC.Stratics.com site. That was under different management obviously, but I remember some of the people involved with it.
The good 'ol days, when I'd hit up the Ideas Den forum and ask for things they'd never add :)...remember loading up the Pictures Forum on 56k...lol

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those sure are nice looking.

If they are from the free shard I think they are, though, the RP-oriented one (and they may well not be, and there may be more RP-oriented free shards than I'm thinking of), then be aware that they tried to put the same are beyond the paper doll into the game itself and, from the screencaps I saw, they were rather....fuzzy.

What, if anything, that means for doing something similar in the official game I can't even begin to guess.

(I did a lot of research on the free shards a few years back, because it was relevant to a then-current debate on Stratics, and by the time I arrived at my conclusions I realized that this particular debate was so based on falsehoods and delusions that my research would simply not matter, so I just shelved it.)

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those sure are nice looking.

If they are from the free shard I think they are, though, the RP-oriented one (and they may well not be, and there may be more RP-oriented free shards than I'm thinking of), then be aware that they tried to put the same are beyond the paper doll into the game itself and, from the screencaps I saw, they were rather....fuzzy.

What, if anything, that means for doing something similar in the official game I can't even begin to guess.

(I did a lot of research on the free shards a few years back, because it was relevant to a then-current debate on Stratics, and by the time I arrived at my conclusions I realized that this particular debate was so based on falsehoods and delusions that my research would simply not matter, so I just shelved it.)

-Galen's player
Hmm...May not be the shard I was thinking of. Looking at the actual game window screencap it appears to be conventional UO graphics, with the paper doll alone being specially customized.

-Galen's player

N

nynyve

I love the clothes and the hair. Many of the deco items from free shards are lovely. I have often wondered why the devs don't incorporate some of these objects into the official UO. Time was when they did; apparently the villa and the large tower began life as free shard creations.

This game needs more deco, plants and accessories.

A

Anon McDougle

So I had a dream i went to a far away place and I saw many wonderfull things I saw systems that we want in UO in place and working I saw new wonderful pixal crack pets and armor and items beyond belief. when i awoke from my dream i asked myself WHY cant this happen in UO ??? if these dream like people can do it WHY cant it be done in UO ? Do they have magical coding skills that the UO produce programers lack ?

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those look fantastic! Excellent work Velvathos!
Well, none of it is mine.. But I do have the scripts which I can use on a free-shard at any-time I want to, I am not sure if they work in regular UO or not, I have never attempted it.. I use to be able to change desktop in 2D with some scripts I had "in normal UO" but as the 2D client updated the scripts got old and stopped working, I believe the main issue was that the names of the files changed.. Maybe I could get them working again.. I don't know..

This is what they looked like.. I have great faith that Grimmomen is working on something similar and better for the future..