• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Official "The Devs broke factions, now fix it!" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I only get to play my faction chars about once a week, when I factor in the point decay rate it looks like I better kill a LOT of people that once a week and never die to even hope to wear my rank 7 stuff. If it was the Devs plan for most people to leave factions then they will get their wish. I guess they want everyone to wear a beast suit or a DP dexer, or a stealther in factions because what would be the point of being a faction mage if I can't use an orny, crystline ring, folded steel?
this is the spot on truth. mages really get screwed here. your much better off now running two guilds. your non o.j. mage guild that suffers no stat loss and a faction guild of stealth/dexxer/nox deathstrikers that pop up and stat o.j's when they are low. i never thought i would see the day when uo would penalize mages to such an extent. despite all the trash talk that emanates in pvp, most pvpr's have the highest respect for those worthy adversaries that can play a mage skillfully, knowing the amount of time those guys put in to studying and playing that template.

im not playing the dropped artifact game. i will go without them, unless something changes. i dont see the fun in logging in everynite and first checking to see whats in the backpack and whats not. this is a recipe for people losing items as things get switched back and forth from bank box to body and the risk that things are not insured prior to being worn.

C

christophe

since everyone could get faction items the price of all peerless/arties dropped, you could get most expensive items not only for free but also much better.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is anyone actually surprised with this?

Problems with either an overboard reaction or poorly implemented solution is the norm in UO.

PKers are a problem? Split the world
Bestial suits are a problem? Nerf them to uselessness

I remember screenloads of complaints about "damn trammies" just joining factions for the gear, and how wrong that is. Problem solved.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since everyone could get faction items the price of all peerless/arties dropped, you could get most expensive items not only for free but also much better.
1. you cant get faction artifacts to cover the whole range of artifacts
2. you need to participate in factions and bear the penalties for the better items
3. the better artifacts are here to encourage pvp in factions

The faction artifacts haven't hurt the majority of the items in the UO. Please open up your mind.

Without the faction aritifacts, lesser template will be created, lesser template created means lesser consumption and purchasing of other spare parts in the long run.

This simple economical logic, you still don't grasp it. How do you give opinions?

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least faction points/rank isn't updated in realtime. You could be halfway through a battle and suddenly find yourself naked.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Tina, but we have well over 20 members in our faction. I run the largest guild on Catskills. (if my numbers are still correct) And while activity lately is sporatic every one of them except for one has logged on at least once in the last 6 months. I personally have 5 active accounts with all but four in my guild. Not all run faction points, but they are active members of my guild (I log them all in regularly for one reason or another) and therefore, I suppose, active members of the faction. So I should take my characters out of my own guild so that we can get down to only 20 active faction members? That's unfair.

I've noticed points are updating very late in the evenings. I logged into one character at 8pm and it was rank 5 then again at 10pm and all her faction crimmy fell off and she was down to rank 1. I thought I had her all set to go for the night... That kind of shift in rank shouldn't be possible. It should be a gradual rank change. I don't mind the decay, but the rate of decay is terrible.
I am in the process of making all new suits for all of my characters. I shouldn't have to do this either. After so many years of gameplay I should be able to log on any character I feel like playing and play it. Tonight all I did was make suits. It wasn't any fun.

Tina, before this change not all of my characters were rank 10, but the ones that had to be were, and two that didn't just happened to be because of kills. Presently we are looking at characters who steal sigils as the only ones on our shards (the low fel population shards) with the ability to get rank 10. People will be competing with faction mates for the first one to the sigils. It's an illogical way of determining a war time rank. Mages are the ones who need the most rank to get the faction gear. Usually it's the dexxer that gets the kill shot, as the Mage is usually the one tossing the heals in fights.

A guildmate got a point yesterday off of one orange that was active on the shard at the time he was playing. It was gone by the time he got home from work and logged on today.
I'd like to hear the dev teams explanation as to what is expected of factions now.
Is it supposed to be fun?
The original notes from December 2000 say that the rankings were to be adjusted at 10:00 a.m. local time. I think that was pretty much the case for quite a few years until all the server hardware was updated a year or two ago and it seemed like character, guild, and faction info took a hiatus for a while. After that information was available again for a while, it seemed like the update time was way off, and now it sounds like it's even further off than it was before.

I hope Bleak or Jeff or someone who can speak intelligently about the whole situation will provide more information soon. For a number of reasons, I hated the idea of the faction artifacts from the moment I found out about them and only added the gloves to one of my archer's suits after my guildmates kinda pushed me into it. I knew from personal experience that people who loved participating in true faction activities did just fine and had a lot of fun without the faction artifacts, and everyone else who PvP'd and didn't want to bother with factions seemed to also be doing just fine and dandy, plus there were also a whole heck of a lot more of them around at that time than there is today post-faction artifact introduction.

I think one person in our guild is in bad shape with this change because he used a lot of the artifacts on the several shards where we have faction guilds. The others started almost a year ago fixing up their suits to eliminate the faction artifacts and I think they're fairly well set now except for on maybe one or two shards.

I feel bad for people who became so dependent on the artifacts and chose to ignore the fact that the points were completely out of control and also that the ranking system was obviously bugged. How many times have we all read the posts over the last three years where people joked about how they were rank 10 the day they joined factions? Clearly, it was a situation riddled with bugs and yet many chose to take advantage of it while not preparing for the inevitable corrective measures that might affect them. I'm not trying to sit here and say, "I told you so!" I understand a lot of people didn't necessarily have the time or the gold or the cash to gear up otherwise. And I also understand all too well what it's like to be playing across multiple shards to be able to find decent fights...seems like you never have enough of what you need anywhere without a ton of work and time.

I don't want to see people leave UO because of this. I really hope that there's some kind of a solution from the developers that will ease the pain somewhat for people who were using a lot of the artifacts. I've been trying for a month now to push folks to talk about what they need to have to replace the faction artifacts, in hopes that they would start saying something and maybe, just maybe other players who understand the game needs both PvP and PvM activities in it to survive would step up to the plate and say, "How can I help?" It seems to me that we're all in this together and unless folks pull together and help each other find a solution, the game's gonna die before the developers ever get around to doing something to address situations like this. I don't think they really understood how much of an impact this change would have, or maybe they thought the month's notice that this change was coming would be sufficient for most people to do SOMETHING to patch up their suits in preparation for maybe losing some major pieces.

All I can offer in terms of help is to tell you guys I'll help with imbuing or gathering resources or things along that line. I've got a full blown crafter on Siege (who is pretty poor at the moment in terms of resources); a 115 imbuer/tailor/smith on Balhae; a 110 imbuer/tailor/smith on Origin; a 97 imbuer/tailor/smith on LA; and 80 imbuer/tailor/smiths on Oceania and Great Lakes. (The rest of them elsewhere are too low in imbuing to mention.) All the smith/tailors are at 120 and have GM arms lore, but most of them are also in kinda bad shape on resources because I've been spending most of my time carting loot to them to unravel and haven't had time to gather the high-end imbuing resources. I've also got pretty decent tamers that can gather resources on a whole slew of shards, a few scattered carp/tinker/fletcher characters and some other non-artificer legendary smith/tailor characters with GM arms lore. If there's something you think I can do to help with making stuff, please just let me know.

I hope that other people who might not necessarily be in factions would start speaking up and letting the PvP community know they are willing to help in some way....maybe sponsor Doom runs, do peerless, etc. We have to pull together here because this is a really bad situation. We aren't going to make it to some 15th year anniversary at this rate. And damn it, I know a lot of people don't like to PvP. I'm one of them. I'm really bad at it. But I definitely understand what kind of fun it can be and why so many people really, really enjoy it. Because of that, I don't think UO's gonna last if it gets to the point where the PvP dies for stupid situations like this.

Speak up, folks, and let your fellow players know what you need NOW to keep you in UO. Your fellow players are, I think, your best hope in this situation. Yeah, I know if you made a lot of jokes about Trammies over general chat it might be hard to eat a little humble pie and admit maybe they can help you, but what's your alternative? Run around naked?

Just do it. Say what you need, what you can pay for it, and see what happens. I think every shard has a trade forum. Perhaps use those.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a lot of gold and resources on Great Lakes along with a mule that has tailor, blacksmith, imbuing, and fletching with gm arms lore. Always willing to help.

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see the community willing to help out. Now all we need is the other side of the community (Devs that's you...) to come forward and have some dialogue with us.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it is just my opinion, but what the Devs have done to factions, if not adjusted/fixed, will essentially be the nail in the coffin for factions, and it will seriously damage PvP for some time to come, if not permanently.

I PvP occasionally, it is not my favorite thing to do in game. After these faction changes, I can see dropping out of factions completely. My 2 faction characters should be at 0 faction points in about a week, due to decay, factor in stat loss and there is no compelling reason to remain in factions. Being able to wear lvl 1 faction arties and stat OJ's (which you will see even fewer of, if any at all) is just not worth it.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to add my 2 cents. The new factions changes are terrible. It has made what was already a difficult aspect of UO to participate in even MORE difficult. Faction arties should be easier to attain for those who aren't super-duper-great at pvp so we can encourage more involvement. Current point system is not sustainable unless you play factions on only ONE shard and are damn good, tip top of pvp class. I post this in the hopes that someone over there doin' the design & development sees the obvious disgust to these faction changes and does something about it.

If you are a new programmer/designer to Ultima Online and don't really understand how the game works than please take the feedback of several players to help guide you in this.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What makes the current system unsustainable opposed to pre patch? Are you referring to the small amount of people able to achieve rank 10? Just curious.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They screwed up factions pretty bad this time. It has no effect on blues/reds/ or people who dont care at all about factions pvp.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What makes the current system unsustainable opposed to pre patch? Are you referring to the small amount of people able to achieve rank 10? Just curious.
1. Having armours dropped in backpack is already insane.
2. Honestly, I rather UO make it so that any faction artifacts upon entering Trammel ruleset will be unequiped automatically than they need us to maintain our kill points 24/7 to wear armour in factions.

As mentioned, pvpers are playing this game mainly to pvp. Well maybe occassionally pvm a little bit (but easily get bored, trust me, you ask some other players who've been in this game for the years, they will get the same opinion as me).

UO should be a game and not a work. If they haven't implemented faction artifacts at all, no one would have cried today. Because everyone been staying as a blue/red character with their normal crafted suits to pvp.

But now that they have implemented faction artifacts for freakin 4 years, whereas there are thousands and thousands of templates that worked around some spare parts of faction artifacts, just because of that spare part of faction artifact, it already screwed up the template totally.

I mean, its not easy, and its not extremely hard to customize and focus on 1-2 characters in faction now. But basically, UO this move is just telling us the following which I have predicted when they are trying to put this patch in:-

1. Please only play 1-2 characters
2. Please make sure to be a thief god, pvp god who have no life and become a UO nerd!
3. Please unsubscribe your extra accounts
4. Please only play 1-2 templates

Thank you UO players for your long time support in factions these years but because we have too many participations in factions now, so we gotta kick majority out and only leave the ones above to stay so that the system will get more participations.

A

archite666

Why am supposed to put up with 20 minutes of stat loss, being freely attackable, worrying about faction guard and traps again?

For what?

So somebody can run the best gear possible why I cleave my way to the top only to be cut down because I don't have the same quality gear at them? This is INSANE!!

FIX THIS NOW!!!

1 rank per 10 kill points

No limit on rank 10 players!

Or anything!!!

Anything is better than this broke system!!

A

archite666

I'v been seeing the complaints everywhere. I decided to make this thread so we can all focus our efforts in one place.

I'm sure the Devs do not need ideas on how to fix this, as they seem to broke it all by themselves. So let's try not to bog this thread down with tons of make believe ideas for a fix. Instead lets come together with one voice and say:

" You broke factions, now fix it!"
Factions is now broken, I for one worked really hard to get to rank 10 and now I'm rank 6 and cannot wear my suit that I killed for. I don't even know anyone who is rank 10 now. Thank you for making the top exploiters rank 10 while the little guys like me ( who worked for it) are now rank: worthless and falling everyday.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why am supposed to put up with 20 minutes of stat loss, being freely attackable, worrying about faction guard and traps again?

For what?

So somebody can run the best gear possible why I cleave my way to the top only to be cut down because I don't have the same quality gear at them? This is INSANE!!

FIX THIS NOW!!!

1 rank per 10 kill points

No limit on rank 10 players!

Or anything!!!

Anything is better than this broke system!!
archite666, if faction system in the PVP perspectives, is working so that the faction equipment drops in your backpack the next day you log in, this is already a TOTALLY WRONG approach.

Pvpers nowadays are seeking for pvp and not seeking for customize their armour suit over and over again. They just want to log on, find their fights, die or kill, then go call it a night for the max of 2-3 hours UO gametime every night after their work/school or whatever.

Please understand the following scenrio that will happen if artifacts are needed as a Rank requirement:-

1. Once a character logs on and find the armour dropped in their backpack, they just log off
2. Once a character logs on and find the armour dropped in their backpack, they won't go pvp at all
3. Once a character logs on and find the armour dropped in their backpack, they will log into another char and pray that other char isn't the same
4. Once a character logs on and find the armour dropped in their backpack, they will just go play blue/red war.

Honestly, In Felucca rulesets, faction artifacts should be available to every single person. Honestly, you come down to pvp in this faction system, you want even new players to have a level pvp field fights. Then you go set it so that only those 1-2 top players can wear the topnot artifacts. Making them even further powerful and unbalance. Then we call this fair?????

In Trammel side, I don't care the armour will lose all its bonus, or trammels get 40 mins or 60 mins stat loss upon death, or just auto unequip upon entering Trammel. But in Felucca, FACTION ARTIFACTS should be open to EVERYONE to encourage the TEST of the pvp system. It should be the 1st step and the 2nd step is to revamp the purpose of guarding bases. Get rid of the stupid sigil which involves stealing back and forth and 10 hours of boredom guarding. Minimize it to a fixed 2 hours base guarding and battle up to ANY factioners preferences at night time.

Make guarding bases and controlling towns a new purpose for every players so that even a crafter, a trammie pvmer can participate and help!

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'v been seeing the complaints everywhere. I decided to make this thread so we can all focus our efforts in one place.

I'm sure the Devs do not need ideas on how to fix this, as they seem to broke it all by themselves. So let's try not to bog this thread down with tons of make believe ideas for a fix. Instead lets come together with one voice and say:

" You broke factions, now fix it!"
Factions is now broken, I for one worked really hard to get to rank 10 and now I'm rank 6 and cannot wear my suit that I killed for. I don't even know anyone who is rank 10 now. Thank you for making the top exploiters rank 10 while the little guys like me ( who worked for it) are now rank: worthless and falling everyday.
Hi archite666, thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I am one of the ONLY rank 10 peeps, but I seems to be the only person who step out the most to oppose this patch. DEV, time to fix this bullcrap you've done. Everyone who have the heart to pvp in factions should be able to use the artifacts to customize their template and join the battlefield. Not by worrying whether they will drop armour or not the next day!!! Just limit the faction artifacts in Felucca and remove the bonus or unequip it automatically upon entering Trammel. This ALEADY solved the so called headache "trammie get faction arties and pvm" problem.. OK?

Keep it Simple!

Faction is dead, now it is only blues roaming around happily! Refer to below photo taken from last night:- after pub 75 4.JPG

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked faction pvp because it made wins/loses more decisive. Ya know you won when all your enemys are stat :)
I liked faction because there is no where for you to hide once you're on the battlefield with the opposing faction members.

We can avoid all those town guard border fightings due to factions.

But looks like DEV want us to go back to crying whiny "guards calling land"

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions has been broken ever since the faction artifacts were introduced.
Kelmo, I have to totally disagree with you.

#1. Faction have no more pvp activities before the faction artifacts is implemented (dated back in 2007)

Dated back when factions first came out, everyone participated because its a new system. Then once there are no new contents added, the incentives declined until 2008 they input the faction artifacts.

#2. Based on HISTORY, FACT, Statistics:-

2007 = factions have a big fat "0" nearly of participations, its dead

2008 = factions artifacts implemented, and we see a significant pvpers joined factions again and pvping on the field under "faction characters" even up to now, majority are still playing under faction characters to pvp. In time, there is still guarding, stealing sigils etc..

But after this patch, its deserted.

We should be looking at the whole picture and focus only on FACTION = PVP.

Please don't treat it as anything else. Just use FACTS, DATA, HISTORY to prove what is right and wrong. Then you get the correct answer.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We had PvP before faction arties. We also had team play and some little purpose before artifacts.

*sighs* i will let you folk go off on this. Everyone knows my opinion of vending machine artifacts and the effect it had on Siege. Just keep it clean and with in RoC. I will figure out what to do with all the other threads.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had PvP before faction arties. We also had team play and some little purpose before artifacts.

*sighs* i will let you folk go off on this. Everyone knows my opinion of vending machine artifacts and the effect it had on Siege. Just keep it clean and with in RoC. I will figure out what to do with all the other threads.
Yes, we had PvP before faction arties. And the pvp is under blue/reds correct? This is fact, cannot be changed.

Then we had PvP after faction arties. And the pvp is under factions UP TO THIS DATE correct? This is fact, cannot be changed.

Vending machine artifacts and effect it had on Siege? I don't get your point, You log into Siege, you buy the same level of artifacts as everyone. Now everyone on the playing field is using the same levels of artifacts then what else there is to not happy about or whine about? I don't get the point sorry.

Even up to now, there is still purpose of guarding bases, raiding bases, stealing sigils, etc.. But after Pub 75, it obviously disappeared. I only see blues roaming in Serpent Hold town guards and not dare go inside cave. Where are the factioners? Maybe still have 1-2 opposing faction members roaming and stealthing thieves stealing sigil back and forth. Other than that, I cant think of any situation that Pub 75 faction fights will be back to the same as last week, 10 vs 10 or 5 vs 5 vs 5 vs 10 vs xxxxxxxxxx fights

Use FACT and DATA and STATISTIC to find out the "CORRECT" and "WRONG".

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks to me that some of what the devs did to the faction ranks/arties was in response to a lot of "trammie wearing faction arties in trammel for PvM" posts I have seen in the forums. Even here, a lot of the "fixes" call for all faction arties to be equipable be everyone, but add in restrictions on faction arties in trammel.

I am just wondering why anyone who is solely interested in PvP would give a damn about someone running through the Abyss, or the fan dancer dojo, or Oaks in faction arties?

If you want to keep factions "pure", then just ask that factions can fight other factions no matter what facet they are on (I like this idea).

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just thinking the same thing Kelmo, we have 4 or 5 threads on this issue now. While it's obvious a large portion of the player base is upset (they have reason to be), its tiring to have to follow so many threads where the same things are being discussed.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad people are so vocal.

To the Devs I'd just like to say: The silence is deafening.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Trammel side, I don't care the armour will lose all its bonus, or trammels get 40 mins or 60 mins stat loss upon death, or just auto unequip upon entering Trammel.
Why do you even care if someone in tram is using faction arties for PvM?
I suspect it is posts like this that made the devs decide that 0 point factioners do not count for the total (to account for the "trammies" using faction gear in trammel which for some reason seems to really irk you.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I could merge them all... that could be confusing though. I think I will lock all the others and try to get everyone to repost their thoughts in this single thread. OK?

While I obviously have opinions on this matter, I do wish for all to be able discuss this. Just keep it on target and not personal...

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you even care if someone in tram is using faction arties for PvM?
I suspect it is posts like this that made the devs decide that 0 point factioners do not count for the total (to account for the "trammies" using faction gear in trammel which for some reason seems to really irk you.
LOL DRAGO.

I personally have no problem with Trammies using the artifacts.

Unfortunately, there are too many stubborn people here that think that Trammies getting the artifacts to trammel is a WRONG approach.

But honestly, this approach, I don't give a damn because everyone can do the same. When everyone can do the same, I dont see this as a problem.

But again, above are just my suggestions to solve the closed mind "greedy" issue for some peeps over here.

I personally always suggest:-

1. OPEN FACTION ARTIFACTS TO EVERYONE
2. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE SAME OPPORTUNITIES AT FACTION ARTIFACTS
3. CREATE NEW CONTENT TO REVAMP THE GUARDING/CONTROLLING town process of factions.

Done finish.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could merge them all... that could be confusing though. I think I will lock all the others and try to get everyone to repost their thoughts in this single thread. OK?

While I obviously have opinions on this matter, I do wish for all to be able discuss this. Just keep it on target and not personal...
Good luck! Keep the Advil bottle handy.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
OK. All merged. It was just easier that way. I do not agree with the title... I do not think the Devs screwed up.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
A big note to the BioWare/Mythic crew. I am sorry that this may seem disjointed. I decided to merge all the Uhall faction threads. I know a few of you folks check these out. For the sake of convenience these threads are merged. No other faction threads will last here on Uhall. There are a few threads in faction forums. (yeah, we have those too) I am not going to "mod" any of those as yet. Check those out too.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
A big note to the BioWare/Mythic crew. I am sorry that this mat seem disjointed. I decided to merge all the Uhall faction threads. I know a few of you folks check these out. For the sake of convenience these threads are merged. No other faction threads will last here on Uhall. There are a few threads in faction forums. (yeah, we have those too) I am not going to "mod" any of those as yet. Check those out too.
owch, more then just a little disjointed!

its too bad we couldnt merge this and have had it still have the threads together, its seems like it merged them all as to when they where posted, so it makes reading this a nightmare!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you know what..... NOW is the time to ram out those last faction changes they had!

hell, thats better then what we have now!!!!

hahahaha, im for it!
big ugly bases and time in counts towards your level!
lets do it!

flip the switch.... FLIP IT!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I know Poo... This kinda sucks. We can not have a half dozen threads all over the place though. Got any better Ideas? The Devs will be skimming through a thread like this.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or I should say, what's the purpose of DEV creating faction artifacts in the first place?
Good question. Clearly, it wasn't a great idea.

Raptor is right though. There were factions before faction arties, and uber gear is awful easy to get now a days.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good question. Clearly, it wasn't a great idea.

Raptor is right though. There were factions before faction arties, and uber gear is awful easy to get now a days.
Clearly though, without the faction artifacts, faction was dead already.

So faction artifacts did make its effect on reviving some parts of faction participation UNTIL today before Pub 75.

Thank you.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will make them unsustainable, is the daily point decay. Everyone loses 1 point per day. The only way to create new faction points now, is to steal the sigils. There are 80 points available every 3 days. If there are 80 or more people ranked in your faction, the whole faction will loose more points than that each day, let alone every 3 days. There is also the matter of transferring points, you give 4 and loose 5, and people quit factions and their points go poof. That all adds up to WAY too much of a grind to try and keep your faction points up, who has 10 hours to guard and run sigils anyway?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly though, without the faction artifacts, faction was dead already.

So faction artifacts did make its effect on reviving some parts of faction participation UNTIL today before Pub 75.

Thank you.
Yeah, this is the thing. If the factions system can't sustain itself on people wanting to pvp, then whats the point?

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, this is the thing. If the factions system can't sustain itself on people wanting to pvp, then whats the point?
The point of arguement here is that, we cannot trace back on WHY they implemented faction aritfacts

Because faction artifacts been up here 4 years!!!

The main point is, we solve the majority problem.

People crying imbalance, imbalance, imbalance, but I tell you, where is the imbalance if we remove RANK requirement for the faction artifacts in which everyone can then be using it?

#2. We fix factions and make it more participation NOT by removing faction artifacts, or asking people to wake up 24/7 to steal sigil or maintaining points to wear their artifact, this is a TOTALLY wrong approach with so many substitutes out there. And those substitues DOESNT EVEN need you to freakin go into 20 minutes stat loss.

#3. To solve factions, it is to create new content and purpose for guarding/raiding base.

Remove the stupid idea of stealing sigil and guarding for 10 hours boredom. Make it a fixed raid and guarding war for ALL and every faction members to participate.

Say for example, every 1-2 night 2 hours

Monday night: battle ground Britain, TB tries to control Britain, other factions try to kill the faction warlord, etc...

Wednesday night: trinsic

Thursday night: minoc

Saturday night: Yew

etc....

Then create opportunities and a community which could even include "ROLEPLAY" in the faction system that:-

Not only the pvp gods or thief gods can survive / important in this system, make it so that EVERY single players whether a trammie, a smith, a newbie would be able to contribute to this participations and systems.

Of course, UO is a game, dont try to make it in a routine of part time or even full time job. If ppl dont want to play, then dont play. But Pub 75 is asking people to freakin online 24/7 and maintain their kill points to the highest to make sure they themselves can stay on the top in order to avoid dropping armour.. WTF, this kind of limitations will just bring chaos and decline of participations to the system and never an increase.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will make them unsustainable, is the daily point decay. Everyone loses 1 point per day. The only way to create new faction points now, is to steal the sigils. There are 80 points available every 3 days. If there are 80 or more people ranked in your faction, the whole faction will loose more points than that each day, let alone every 3 days. There is also the matter of transferring points, you give 4 and loose 5, and people quit factions and their points go poof. That all adds up to WAY too much of a grind to try and keep your faction points up, who has 10 hours to guard and run sigils anyway?
Hi, to correct something, now you could only steal 7 sigils. So a total of 70 points which if based on my experiment on these 2 days will decay within 46 days.

Day 1 = 7 points
Day 2 = 5 points
Day 3 = 4 points

Basically, the decay rate they mentioned about is also bullcrap or its just I am a so unlucky person that 100% of my characters are having a point decay even in the range of "1" --> down to "0" "2" ---> down to "1" etc...

And I agree to your point totally, they make it a full time job for us. Either quit or work under it with pressure.

With so many substitutes (imbue/reforge,artifacts) outside, most will choose to quit.

Then some people will be closing down their "extra" accounts, because they no longer can customize certain templates.

Thats why factions will be going downhill in which proven my point from the beginning "Correct" again.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
owch, more then just a little disjointed!

its too bad we couldnt merge this and have had it still have the threads together, its seems like it merged them all as to when they where posted, so it makes reading this a nightmare!
DAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN

Its like Tod MacFarlane pieces the treads together. LOL :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.....who thinks there will be something related to factions in the next publish (Publish 76, I think) that clears up some of the mystery surrounding why points were "scaled" this week?

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.....who thinks there will be something related to factions in the next publish (Publish 76, I think) that clears up some of the mystery surrounding why points were "scaled" this week?
I don't think its necessary anymore. By the time, it reaches Pub 76 (which probably around 1 month or 2 later), faction is already dead.

So I mean, its okay, and nevermind about it. Everyone should've 1 or 2 chars customized under imbue/reforge suits to fight as a red/blue chars.

Just say bye to factions.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This issue has everything to do with faction arties and people being able to use them. Why don't the devs just scrap that system and make the normal artie drop rate higher across the board so more people can obtain the items in a reasonable amount of play time on alt shards? Increase the mods for the normal items to match the enhancements of the faction versions.
1.Because doom is old and boring and not enjoyable even spending over 30min in.
2.Because nothing makes a suit easier to make than an fc3 crystalline ring, 25 dci mace n' shield, and a heart of lion
3.Because collecting items in UO is no longer worth the effort with such a dead population across all shards, including Atlantic.

The easily attainable faction arties, and the easy suits that came with them, was one of the only major appeals left in this game; the faction arties made it easy to play multi shards and thus have something to do almost consistently, though there were still times when all EA shards were pretty much completely dead of PVP. These changes just kills the remaining pvp population. Sad fact is that PVP, which is really the only unique/sandbox aspect left in this game, is going to be dead very soon if this change remains in place.

Oh well.... sad thing is UO is pretty much dead; yeah I enjoyed it, I've been playing since I was 8, but alas it's dead/ became to item focussed and lost its sandbox appeal, it was only a matter of time. I'm surprised and glad that it made it this long. Time to move on to non prodo shards so people can easily PVP and enjoy what was UO.

Status
Not open for further replies.