• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Expantion

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So me and my friend ( the only person I play with ) Have now duo'ed everything in the game.. Including the HS bosses.... Got every drop we currently want, completed any of your silly pixle crack sets you can name... etc.. etc... Can we please get a new expansion that has more then say 2 bossess in it that will take us at least a few months if not a year... to complete all content.... I mean geez its been a few years sense SA... and i hardly even recognize H.S... You didn't really do anything with that... Just added 120 fishing and expensive boats that were fun for about an hour...... Just a thought... some of us are getting bored -.-

W

Woodsman

They laid off too many people after SA to ever put out a proper expansion again. Even HS had a lot of work that was done beforehand. If they were to do an expansion now, they would have to stop working on UO and put everybody just into the expansion for a long time.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They laid off too many people after SA to ever put out a proper expansion again. Even HS had a lot of work that was done beforehand. If they were to do an expansion now, they would have to stop working on UO and put everybody just into the expansion for a long time.
I highly doubt high seas took much effort.. I code for a living, and they what updated boat code that they probably had laying around.... and then what added two bosses and some unique fish and rewards ?? I would imagine a team or 3 could turn that out in a month.... 8 hours a day. If not geez I need to ask for a raise... I still think HS is exactly why Cal is no longer with us... Some one looked up, and was like wtf ??? U charged people for .... Nothing ???????? .... ?????????

None the less i don't recall exactly when Abyss was released but i know its been at least 3 years... This is just un acceptable as far as content comes out... I mean seriously currently I log in to my house and then log back out because seriously I have nothing to do... Unless I wana try to pvp, but that doesn't really appeal to me.. Or how about revisit old dungeons /sigh... Seriously ?!?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for what I see, UO need to be revived by revamping old areas instead of adding more...
also adding more boss will just delay your boring, the final solution would be adding more random things to the game so when you go to face something you can't be really sure of what are you facing until you don't see it :D

I highly doubt high seas took much effort.. I code for a living, and they what updated boat code that they probably had laying around.... and then what added two bosses and some unique fish and rewards ?? I would imagine a team or 3 could turn that out in a month.... 8 hours a day. If not geez I need to ask for a raise... I still think HS is exactly why Cal is no longer with us... Some one looked up, and was like wtf ??? U charged people for .... Nothing ???????? .... ?????????
it took a LOT of work, not for coding, but making those ships is a hell... there are a hundreds of pieces to keep assembled in 4 directions. Just the Britannian Ship took 6 months...

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
really the best way to do things is with the tiered system. and just have it go further
1) let the players see progress of where they are and how far to next teir (level)
2) bump up the rewards in each new teir
3) randomize some good rewards into the high end teired quests

add perhaps 1 more level to t-maps that forces it to be a group

add better reasons to fishing to have 120 skill

add a copy of the turkey event into 3 other events around the year. just replace the monsters/text with each other event.
1) halloween
2) st patricks day (perhaps leprachon)
3) an early summer theme (perhaps a sun creature?)

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
for what I see, UO need to be revived by revamping old areas instead of adding more...
also adding more boss will just delay your boring, the final solution would be adding more random things to the game so when you go to face something you can't be really sure of what are you facing until you don't see it :D

it took a LOT of work, not for coding, but making those ships is a hell... there are a hundreds of pieces to keep assembled in 4 directions. Just the Britannian Ship took 6 months...
/yawn... if they have an art team... then why dont we have better arts.... nvm this is just gonna lead down the /beat dead horse arguements....

I am just saying if you are a PVM person... Right now game = boring.............. and no Random dungeon crawls are not what is fun to me ( Diablo ) .... What is fun to me... is having to build specialized characters with my friend to take out the bosses in the game....

Its also not my fault they waisted 6 months to make one ship instead of coding all kinds of new content to do on the seas besides a million gold cannon shots.....

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I see what I'm doing wrong! I thought UO was a sandbox game and I should set my own goals and achievements. Silly me.
Well if thats the case I guess I just need to quit because I have completed all current goals in game for my self :) Thank you for this wonder amazing insight...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
really the best way to do things is with the tiered system. and just have it go further
1) let the players see progress of where they are and how far to next teir (level)
2) bump up the rewards in each new teir
3) randomize some good rewards into the high end teired quests

add perhaps 1 more level to t-maps that forces it to be a group

add better reasons to fishing to have 120 skill

add a copy of the turkey event into 3 other events around the year. just replace the monsters/text with each other event.
1) halloween
2) st patricks day (perhaps leprachon)
3) an early summer theme (perhaps a sun creature?)
IMHO the tier system would work if is all automated and possible with unlimited tiers so there will be a greater challenge everytime but not a real "end".

Tmaps on group could have sense with a very good loot, with the current loot there is not much to share ...

fishing is fishing... just for fishing fans, even in real there is not much to do with fishing if not just get fish :D

the events of halloween and st patrick could be ok, but on summer there is not much to do and not much revenue on it... also what you wanna add for summer? crazed mages in bathing costume roaming through the beach? :D

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well if thats the case I guess I just need to quit because I have completed all current goals in game for my self :) Thank you for this wonder amazing insight...
btw I do enjoy the sandbox aspect of UO... Just after 300 dead slashers I cant come up with a story in my head for why my character wants to go kill him again......

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you really want a serious suggestion, start a new char, on a different shard, with nothing but the regular start up stuff. Do not Xshard anything, live out of your bank box till you can afford a boat, then live from bankbox and boat - not forgetting to refresh it. There's a challenge in starting from scratch somewhere new that refreshes the game.

W

Woodsman

I highly doubt high seas took much effort.. I code for a living, and they what updated boat code that they probably had laying around.... and then what added two bosses and some unique fish and rewards ??
That's what I meant when I said some of the work was done beforehand. I think it was hard for them to get High Seas out with just the team they had.

And them laying off a lot of people after SA really hurt UO. There's a lot I'm sure they'd like to do, but it's 2012, and I think we get quite a bit of content given the size of the team. As somebody else said, they would love to have more people to crank out more content and do things to bring in new people since their job security relies on UO saying profitable.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe you should take a break. It's not what people like to hear sometimes, but it can help. Keep an eye on the website and Stratics for announcements on things you might like, then come back when you're ready. UO will likely still be here when you come back.

A new big expansion isn't likely. We're getting new content at a slower and slower pace. But future plans are often hidden from us until they near release, so no one knows what they may be working on behind the scenes.

W

Woodsman

^^^ This too - I've taken a few breaks and I know others have, and it helps.
If you really want a serious suggestion, start a new char, on a different shard, with nothing but the regular start up stuff. Do not Xshard anything, live out of your bank box till you can afford a boat, then live from bankbox and boat - not forgetting to refresh it. There's a challenge in starting from scratch somewhere new that refreshes the game.
Or go recruit a random bunch of strangers in-game to go fight something big somewhere.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's what I meant when I said some of the work was done beforehand. I think it was hard for them to get High Seas out with just the team they had.

And them laying off a lot of people after SA really hurt UO. There's a lot I'm sure they'd like to do, but it's 2012, and I think we get quite a bit of content given the size of the team. As somebody else said, they would love to have more people to crank out more content and do things to bring in new people since their job security relies on UO saying profitable.
They could of at least made some sort of pirate template viable... Currently treasure hunting / fishing ... Any of that I am doing with a mystic... or using two separate characters.... Would feel good to be playing a template inline with what I am trying to do, and actually be viable... ( any one that has a melee template that fits fishing and all needed thunting skills I am all ears... lvl7's)

Edited for color.. Maybe someone in a position to do something might see this, and be like You know what he is kinda right... Why are all treasure hunters mystics ??? that doesn't make much sense....

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a saying about being 'Jack of all trades but master of none'. I have 2 characters that have multi purpose templates, but they are 'master of none'. I can do upto to level 5 maps solo, but for higher I need help.
Marie Nayted, on Siege Perilous, has fishing 120, cart 100, mage 106, ninja 81, hiding 100, lockpick 100, stealing 120, stealth 106. Heavily subisdised by imbued jewels of course. with her I do mibs, maps, stealing from monsters and spawning rares, as the mood takes me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a suggestion... take off all your gear... make plain GM Gear... no specials..... no frills... then go fight stuff... Or do that on another shard building up your character but using only what you find.... don't buy things don't get things from other players.... no crafting no imbuing no insuring.... See how you do.

If things are too easy it's because you are powergaming it... Try it on "hard".

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There's a saying about being 'Jack of all trades but master of none'. I have 2 characters that have multi purpose templates, but they are 'master of none'. I can do upto to level 5 maps solo, but for higher I need help.
Marie Nayted, on Siege Perilous, has fishing 120, cart 100, mage 106, ninja 81, hiding 100, lockpick 100, stealing 120, stealth 106. Heavily subisdised by imbued jewels of course. with her I do mibs, maps, stealing from monsters and spawning rares, as the mood takes me.
Yeah :c Currently I have a character that I call the 'captain character' cart lp min fishing magery eval
Then I have the Deckhand : Fencing bushido anat tact parry etc.. etc... :c I do all the work with the captain recall and finish with the deckhand... It works but I really hate it. I wish I could do it all on the deck hand with a melee but it seems impossible in uo

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions seriously. I just hope someone reads this that has the power to do something about it, and maybe says he is kinda right we need more bosses and stuffs to do on the high seas.. and more to do on land... because events only favor people who can be online for them... Where as bosses and things to kill favor us that only get a few hours a day, and Like to pit our self vs the evil most vial putrid things that UO has to offer... I must admit though building up two characters that can solo slasher in 30 minutes ( not fabricated time) with out deaths was quite the challenge... We also had some fun coming up with builds for the newer anti-sampire bosses. And yes I started by building a normal sampire for ML content and samuri empire content... Then I made a gargoyle thrower to do slasher medusa , prime evil... and the demon spawn down there cant remember its name.. We then built two pirate-esque characters for the High seas bosses... Treasure maps MIBS etc.. etc... Took over a year to complete all this so it was a fun journey in its self... I just don't want it to stop yet....

S

Sevin0oo0

Here's a suggestion... take off all your gear... make plain GM Gear... no specials..... no frills... then go fight stuff... no crafting no imbuing no insuring.... See how you do.
If things are too easy it's because you are powergaming it... Try it on "hard".
/this
I think the last challenge by the Devs was to simply solo Shame, in nothing but a sash i think. See how Gimp you can be, give us all some tutorials - we already hear stories about tricked out templates walking thru a spawn *yawns* boring. Easy, Medium, Hard, take your pick, it's Your game.

I use a one-handed weapon (other hand tied behind my back) to give the poor mobs more of a fighting chance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow... What an uninformed statement.... EVERY expansion since at least AoS had just as big, or bigger, layoffs shortly after the initial post-release major bug passes went through. Then, when the next expansion was planned, they hired (and hired back) people who were specifically NOT part of the current staff to work on it, to do most of the grunt work, as their "absence" would not be noted, as the players wouldn't even know they were there, until the lead slips up and mentions them and their project.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll say it again. A new land that we can go to on our shards. To get there bankbox,backpack and stables empty on foot naked. New land has rare - small amount chance for gold coin loot. NPCs there use another coin as loot that can be Tithed with. New tames with basic new art over classics. Loot level reduction.

Crafters and scribes would be the early heros to cross over. Tamers selling a large ridable cat that is the new lands horse. I could go on be refer to my old post history.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So me and my friend ( the only person I play with ) Have now duo'ed everything in the game.. Including the HS bosses.... Got every drop we currently want, completed any of your silly pixle crack sets you can name... etc.. etc... Can we please get a new expansion that has more then say 2 bossess in it that will take us at least a few months if not a year... to complete all content.... I mean geez its been a few years sense SA... and i hardly even recognize H.S... You didn't really do anything with that... Just added 120 fishing and expensive boats that were fun for about an hour...... Just a thought... some of us are getting bored -.-

Here is a suggestion for a change in UO, if you do not have one already, make a character on Siege and work it up from scratch.........on Siege..................

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a suggestion for a change in UO, if you do not have one already, make a character on Siege and work it up from scratch.........on Siege..................
popps you play seige ???????????????????????????

W

Woodsman

Wow... What an uninformed statement.... EVERY expansion since at least AoS had just as big, or bigger, layoffs shortly after the initial post-release major bug passes went through. Then, when the next expansion was planned, they hired (and hired back) people who were specifically NOT part of the current staff to work on it, to do most of the grunt work, as their "absence" would not be noted, as the players wouldn't even know they were there, until the lead slips up and mentions them and their project.
Have there been any indications of new hires for new UO work? In the past, when they started hiring, word always got out that they were hiring for something, job postings, slip-ups, etc.

Sure, UO has a "franchise producer" over it who is technically a new hire, but UO also lost its producer last year.

I wish I was wrong, but there are no indications this time around that UO is getting more work on it than what has been announced. Hell, they are holding up work on some things that were officially announced (graphics upgrade), and have officially announced that other things are being scaled back to be a shadow of what they originally talked about (new player experience) because they said they have limited resources.

I've been watching the job listings for BioWare, and by default BioWare Mythic, for the past year, looking at jobs that come up. I've not seen any that come close to applying to UO. In the past, we always knew something was up by the hirings and job listings. I've applied for a few of the BioWare Austin jobs and have made some good contacts, but Mythic jobs are rare.

BioWare Mythic has four jobs up right now, and some of these have been up for a while, and could apply to any and all Mythic games - Server Online Engineer, Business Intelligence Analyst (Contractor), Interns for this summer, and Online Marketing Manager ( :) :) :) )

I wish there was a top-secret project to upgrade the graphics and fix a bunch of things and make it easier for new players, but unlike past expansions, there's no indications. Plus the 15th anniversary is less than six months away - if they were going to announce anything big and spectacular for it, we would have either heard about it by now, or it'll be in the PC Gamer article that is being written about UO's anniversary.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have there been any indications of new hires for new UO work? In the past, when they started hiring, word always got out that they were hiring for something, job postings, slip-ups, etc.

Sure, UO has a "franchise producer" over it who is technically a new hire, but UO also lost its producer last year.

I wish I was wrong, but there are no indications this time around that UO is getting more work on it than what has been announced. Hell, they are holding up work on some things that were officially announced (graphics upgrade), and have officially announced that other things are being scaled back to be a shadow of what they originally talked about (new player experience) because they said they have limited resources.

I've been watching the job listings for BioWare, and by default BioWare Mythic, for the past year, looking at jobs that come up. I've not seen any that come close to applying to UO. In the past, we always knew something was up by the hirings and job listings. I've applied for a few of the BioWare Austin jobs and have made some good contacts, but Mythic jobs are rare.

BioWare Mythic has four jobs up right now, and some of these have been up for a while, and could apply to any and all Mythic games - Server Online Engineer, Business Intelligence Analyst (Contractor), Interns for this summer, and Online Marketing Manager ( :) :) :) )

I wish there was a top-secret project to upgrade the graphics and fix a bunch of things and make it easier for new players, but unlike past expansions, there's no indications. Plus the 15th anniversary is less than six months away - if they were going to announce anything big and spectacular for it, we would have either heard about it by now, or it'll be in the PC Gamer article that is being written about UO's anniversary.
lol they are waiting for may 15th !!!!!!!
end of discussion

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By the same token, there were several rehires over the last 9 years that I can remember that were back working on secret UO projects for weeks or months before they were publicly announced, and it wasn't until after those rehires were revealed (but NOT the nature of the project they were working on) that job postings related to the secret projects started showing up.

W

Woodsman

I wish I had you all's optimism, but UO does not carry the significance it once did. Warhammer's failure really pissed EA off at Mythic.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish I had you all's optimism, but UO does not carry the significance it once did. Warhammer's failure really pissed EA off at Mythic.
uo without a major, content talked about when diablo 3 hits will take a huge hit if there isnt some kind of talked about expansion/upgrade d3 playes on same player base and will be new player on block
my guess 1/3 of long term player base will try it out, can we with stand that ???

W

Woodsman

I don't think that many will leave. I do think UO has reached the point where it can't suffer too many people leaving. People have always said "UO has survived this, this, and this game launching", but there there is a point at which it can't.

The 15th Anniversary is going to prove how dedicated BioWare really is to UO.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think that many will leave. I do think UO has reached the point where it can't suffer too many people leaving. People have always said "UO has survived this, this, and this game launching", but there there is a point at which it can't.

The 15th Anniversary is going to prove how dedicated BioWare really is to UO.
yes and i would agree with you but i have been a fan of diablo equal too UO and would guess a large portion also has been, as a long term player this is largest worry i can see in future, i will have a d3 account on starter day, have 5 uo accounts, which will win with bio ware forgetting they have a game named uo

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have hopes for UO... A great many of them.... more land is NOT one of them.

Right now there is soooo much land and sooo many dungeons and sooo much going on with the towns and the robbers and all that I'm lucky to see 2 people in a day unless it's an EM event...

But I still hold out hope... Saturday night I attended an EM event... and for the first time in the EC I actually SAW the Crimson Dragon statue that has been in that Hall for many a moon... Slowly things ARE being fixed... Slowly things are coming together... and I can say this for a FACT... The DEV's ARE listening...

So I'm still holding hopes that one day UO will be grand again...

Till then it's one small step at a time... and I'll keep holding out hope that one day ALL of my characters will be co-owners or Owners of ALL of my homes... And that one day the game won't tell me that I can't place a Multi-tiled object at an entrance that has NO entry.... such as the back tower of my castle... Or that I could go to Fel and know that the field is level and those I fight there aren't speed hacking cheaters running heal programs and other cheats that allow them to run through trees and everything else with ease... Or that when I purchase something off a vendor I can rest assured that it's not a duped item...

And that I can finally rid myself of the silly apron and wear a woodland belt... and be proud of my dark elven heritage... And that 95% of folk I meet in-game won't be wearing robes... and aprons... They will have their own style...

E

elspeth

And that 95% of folk I meet in-game won't be wearing robes... and aprons... They will have their own style...

YES PLEASE! The robes are so ugly anyways. I would like to turn the great robes and such into thinks like kimono and obi. Or dress and fancy belt. Let us fancy ladies turn the resist cloaks into pretty shawls. This can't be too hard can it? You can skip the shawls for now since that would be new artwork. But let us turn the crimsons and special robes and such into anything we want. Not to mention resist boots, can't we turn them into sandals instead? Or maybe combine two things? Properties from the boots and color sandals from bod rewards? Could make those bod reward sandals useful again.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I can afford a stat robe, I simply refuse to wear one. Sometimes looking like you ought to is worth giving up a point or two of this or that stat. And anyway, who ever died going "If only I had 2 more mana regen!" I do wear a crimmy, but it's dyed such that you almost can't see it.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... some of us are getting bored -.-
Have you tried:
Champ spawns,including Ilsh champs.
The Zoo,Library,and Museum Donation feature.
The Naturist quest.
The new Shame and Wrong dungeons.
Resource gathering for vendor sales.
Create a large rune library for public use.
Create a room in your house for lockpick training.
All the Heartwood quests
Working up all the available virtues to knighthood.
Defend your favorite virtue town by following the current story arc.
Create a "crate" thief to collect daily rares and Doom/Tokuno rares.
Set up a brewery so you can tag your own barrels of ales and such.

I could go on and on,but I think you get my point. UO is much more than what you will find produced now my other companies. You make your own game here and can go any direction you want.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
btw I do enjoy the sandbox aspect of UO... Just after 300 dead slashers I cant come up with a story in my head for why my character wants to go kill him again......

Do you really enjoy the sandbox aspect of UO? Because I know I do and I never run out of stuff to do in this game. The beauty and uniqueness of UO lies in the fact that you never run out of stuff to do and one player's play-style can vary greatly from the next, but it seems like you're interested primarily in PvM powergaming, and yeah I can see how that could leave someone thinking "now what?" after they've taken the strongest equipment with the strongest templates and defeated every monster in the game. Aren't there plenty of other MMOs that accommodate that type of playstyle?

Side note: Weren't they supposed to add expansions every 6 months or something? Or was that before the latest round of layoffs?

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Have you tried:
Champ spawns,including Ilsh champs.
The Zoo,Library,and Museum Donation feature.
The Naturist quest.
The new Shame and Wrong dungeons.
Resource gathering for vendor sales.
Create a large rune library for public use.
Create a room in your house for lockpick training.
All the Heartwood quests
Working up all the available virtues to knighthood.
Defend your favorite virtue town by following the current story arc.
Create a "crate" thief to collect daily rares and Doom/Tokuno rares.
Set up a brewery so you can tag your own barrels of ales and such.

I could go on and on,but I think you get my point. UO is much more than what you will find produced now my other companies. You make your own game here and can go any direction you want.
Exactly

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, you're right the boats were tough- really, really tough. But the 6 months bit isn't quit accurate. Thanks for speaking up for us art folks!

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't speak for the code, cause that isn't my area, but I can tell you that the art was not done beforehand.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to come off like the fact police, but this isn't quite accurate either... at least since Samurai Empire.

<edit>
Post- expansion is a very common development point to see people come and go. It certainly would not be very cool of me to discuss when people left or were laid off, so I can't elaborate (sorry).

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I still hold out hope... Saturday night I attended an EM event... and for the first time in the EC I actually SAW the Crimson Dragon statue that has been in that Hall for many a moon... Slowly things ARE being fixed... Slowly things are coming together... and I can say this for a FACT... The DEV's ARE listening...

So I'm still holding hopes that one day UO will be grand again...

And that I can finally rid myself of the silly apron and wear a woodland belt... and be proud of my dark elven heritage... And that 95% of folk I meet in-game won't be wearing robes... and aprons... They will have their own style...

Hey, you noticed! Yup there are a few bug fixes that we got in, the Crimson Dragon statue being one of them. As for the rest of what you said, amen!

-Grimm

L

lupushor

No expansion needed atm (at least from my point of view). But I think it is time to ....

CHANGE THE LOOT !

What's a Tattered Ancient Mummy Wrapping [Replica] worth now? 5k ? Change all the [Replicas] loot. The old ones will gain value over time, the new ones will raise interest again for fighting old bosses.
Everybody wins.
Surely taking some nice old items or thinking a bit for new ones with old graphic/new name and switching them into the current loot system is not as hard as doing an expansion.

*throws in 2 cents, then takes one back*

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeff did say that one day they would like to look at re-vamping the Champion Spawns. So, if that day comes, I hope they'll make them more varied and naturally make the loot more worthwhile.

L

lupushor

<edit>
Post- expansion is a very common development point to see people come and go. It certainly would not be very cool of me to discuss when people left or were laid off, so I can't elaborate (sorry).

-Grimm

See, you forgot the "</edit>". Maybe this is what's missing in the RtB houses subroutine!

W

Woodsman

I can't speak for the code, cause that isn't my area, but I can tell you that the art was not done beforehand.

-Grimm
I'm not even sure how to go back and find it, but it was a comment from 2010 that I came across that a big part of HS had been done and then not utilized until they decided on HS. I don't know if it was all of the design work or coding, but the impression was that it had been done for something else, was shelved, and then was taken off the shelf for HS. I don't know if there was an expansion planned after Stygian Abyss that it was going to be a part of, or if it was supposed for SA or a previous expansion and wasn't finished in time.

If the art was not done beforehand, then that might have been why they shelved - they ran out of time.

It doesn't really fit into Stygian Abyss, so maybe Kingdom Reborn, since KR had a lot of interface work done, and HS changed boat movement.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, you forgot the "</edit>". Maybe this is what's missing in the RtB houses subroutine!
LOL

You know when I wrote that I thought "Should I close off that edit? Na, that's just being anal rententive!".

Nice catch! I'll be more careful with syntax on faux code in the future. ;-)

-Grimm

jskalski

Franchise Producer
VIP
Stratics Veteran

We've added a new designer, increased our art outsourcing spend, and continue to expand our EM program. All needed to deliver on what we have planned this year. I don't really count. =P

W

Woodsman

We've added a new designer, increased our art outsourcing spend, and continue to expand our EM program. All needed to deliver on what we have planned this year. I don't really count. =P
You should be telling people this kind of stuff!

And whatever you showed off to one of the BioWare heads last week, that you were proud of, was it for UO?

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not even sure how to go back and find it, but it was a comment from 2010 that I came across that a big part of HS had been done and then not utilized until they decided on HS. I don't know if it was all of the design work or coding, but the impression was that it had been done for something else, was shelved, and then was taken off the shelf for HS.
High Seas was originally in development back in 2003, but it was cancelled and replaced with Samurai Empire. However, I don't think that anything from the first version of High Seas survived, except maybe for some design documents...

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's "art outsourcing"? Just curious.