• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Mapper or UO Cartographer?

B

bearsfan

I'm new to the profession of treasure hunting, and I'm pretty clueless. :)

I downloaded UO Cartographer, and it seemed to work at first, but then it stopped plotting my character's location and I couldn't figure how to get that started again. I never quite made it to help with my first T-Map before uninstalling it.

Then they have the newly approved Ultima Mapper. Does this even do the same thing? From the description, it doesn't seem to, but the "and so much more" part has me wondering. I tried to dowloand that, but it was an epic fail on my part.

Either I didn't do it right, or didn't make it far enough. It kept pulling a screen that said something about the server. To that I'm even more clueless than I am at Treasure Hunting, so I uninstalled it as well. Did I lose patience way too early? Or did I download it incorrectly?

I am recently returning to UO, and the last time I played, I used UOAM, and it had just stopped updating to match the new patches when I stopped playing the last time. Are either Ultima Mapper or UO Cartographer like UOAM at all?

Sorry for all my ineptness. All I wanted was to try to venture into the new world (for me) of T-Hunting, but I appear to be not good enough to even dig up a map without some 3rd party help.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm new to the profession of treasure hunting, and I'm pretty clueless. :)

I downloaded UO Cartographer, and it seemed to work at first, but then it stopped plotting my character's location and I couldn't figure how to get that started again. I never quite made it to help with my first T-Map before uninstalling it.

Then they have the newly approved Ultima Mapper. Does this even do the same thing? From the description, it doesn't seem to, but the "and so much more" part has me wondering. I tried to dowloand that, but it was an epic fail on my part.

Either I didn't do it right, or didn't make it far enough. It kept pulling a screen that said something about the server. To that I'm even more clueless than I am at Treasure Hunting, so I uninstalled it as well. Did I lose patience way too early? Or did I download it incorrectly?

I am recently returning to UO, and the last time I played, I used UOAM, and it had just stopped updating to match the new patches when I stopped playing the last time. Are either Ultima Mapper or UO Cartographer like UOAM at all?

Sorry for all my ineptness. All I wanted was to try to venture into the new world (for me) of T-Hunting, but I appear to be not good enough to even dig up a map without some 3rd party help.

First of all, welcome back !!

I am not sure about UOCartographer as on my computer it works so, I imagine, it might be some corrupted file or settings which need to be adjusted. Did you try downloading it again and re-installing it ? Sometimes it works....
But I am not much experienced with it so, hopefully someone else here might be more helpfull with it.

Anyways, if you are looking for a handy tool for treasure Maps, I would suggest that you try the Enhanced Client using Pinco's UIs. They really make treasure maps a lot more enjoyable as well as many other things in the game once you get used to using the UIs and the Enhanced Client.

You can search in the UHall Forum for Pinco and UI and you will find details about them.

Welcome back again !!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For Treasure hunting, the EC with Pinco's is a good option, as is either UOC or UM with the classic client; UOAM is dead. Both UOC & UM require UOAssist to be installed, though they can be an expired trial version. If you use UOC, you'll want to have both clients installed, and use the options to tell it to use the maps from the EC.

The recent changes to the classic client, and resultant continuous work to UOAssist to compensate, has made the mapping programs near-unusable for the last week, though they are finally starting to come online.

UM is actually approved officially, while UOC was only unofficially okayed by the former UO head. UOC is orphanware, while UM is in early release (new features still being added & tested). As such, both will initially be buggy, even without the CC/UOA changes.

If you like putting markers in for SOS, UOC (which uses the same ".map" files as UOAM) has an advantage, due to the old FCB spreadsheet (that I put up as a google doc) that converts Lat/Long into the data to be pasted into a UOAM/UOC .map file.

Otherwise, I'd go for Ultima Mapper.

Personally, I have all the above options installed.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been trying to work with mapper but i keep hitting issues. Today, i noticed the coordinates were a lil off while i was trying to fish up a sos. It also makes my computer very slow because of the resources it uses up. I haven't tried using Cartographer yet and Pincos UI isn't working for me. I keep getting an error when start it. However, sometimes when i cant find a map, simply switching to the EC helps greatly. Once it starts digging up, i stop it and switch back to the CC to complete it.

Atrocitus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ran into same coordinate issue. Made me think my old SOS collection was bugged until I hit the sextant.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While this is a great place to post questions regarding the new Ultima Mapper since you never know who might have solved your problem, I'd also like to recommend that - if you're having any problems with Ultima Mapper - you also contact the author directly here.

Just sayin....
;)

Shelra

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you like putting markers in for SOS, UOC (which uses the same ".map" files as UOAM) has an advantage, due to the old FCB spreadsheet (that I put up as a google doc) that converts Lat/Long into the data to be pasted into a UOAM/UOC .map file.
Markers are a key plus in UOC for me; I have no problems at all with it tracking my character; unbuggy - perhaps I am a rare case as I have been following this thread UOAM&UOCart..... and this thread Uomapper.... I will also, in time, try out UM. The owner of UM seems very available to those who are having problems, kudo's to that. :thumbup: