• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] New 3rd Party Program Approved For UO: UO Mapper

C

Conrad

MadMartyr,

I've noticed quite a few people asking about servers, and hosts for them. I have a question myself.

The footprint of the tracking feature that was a part of UOAutomap was pretty small in terms of the server--I was able to run it on the same machine I was playing UO on without too much in-game lag/latency as long as I didn't have more then 6-8 people being tracked. Is the server for UO Mapper of a compact enough size, in terms of processing and memory, that it can essentially do the same thing--run on the same machine as UO?

Is a host even necessary for small groups? Can one person in that group host the others on a UO Mapper server running concurrent with UO, or would that be too much for most machines? A hosted server (and the costs associated with it) may not be in reach of some players.

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Congrats on getting the official 3rd party approval!

Now, unfortunately, I am also one of those "strange persons" playing the plain CC without UOA...

Given the fact you would be interested to implement it, and UM now being an UO Pro tool, will EA/Mythic under NO circumstances approve a direct / manual calibrated coordinates acquisition? I know there is a sensitive process involved, as you have to search through the running game client's memory to get the right X/Y coords offset; nevertheless, they also approved this manual calibration for UOAM back then. Why not take this nice opportunity and make UM the first mapper tool to be able to connect ALL clients (EC / CC+UOA / CC-plain) together?

Who do we need to poke for an UOA-free version? ;)

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MadMartyr,

I've noticed quite a few people asking about servers, and hosts for them. I have a question myself.

The footprint of the tracking feature that was a part of UOAutomap was pretty small in terms of the server--I was able to run it on the same machine I was playing UO on without too much in-game lag/latency as long as I didn't have more then 6-8 people being tracked. Is the server for UO Mapper of a compact enough size, in terms of processing and memory, that it can essentially do the same thing--run on the same machine as UO?

Is a host even necessary for small groups? Can one person in that group host the others on a UO Mapper server running concurrent with UO, or would that be too much for most machines? A hosted server (and the costs associated with it) may not be in reach of some players.
The server footprint is small, though not as small as it could be. The current server is a GUI application. I have been asked many times already if I plan to release a console/service server, so it looks like I'll be working on that soon as well. That will further reduce the footprint of the server both in storage and memory.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats on getting the official 3rd party approval!

Now, unfortunately, I am also one of those "strange persons" playing the plain CC without UOA...

Given the fact you would be interested to implement it, and UM now being an UO Pro tool, will EA/Mythic under NO circumstances approve a direct / manual calibrated coordinates acquisition? I know there is a sensitive process involved, as you have to search through the running game client's memory to get the right X/Y coords offset; nevertheless, they also approved this manual calibration for UOAM back then. Why not take this nice opportunity and make UM the first mapper tool to be able to connect ALL clients (EC / CC+UOA / CC-plain) together?

Who do we need to poke for an UOA-free version? ;)
I wouldn't be opposed to such a collaboration with the UO team, or those modifications to mapper.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't downloaded ti and tried it yet (im at work) but do the player positions update fairly quickly?

And Mad - from a bandwidth perspective, what kind of bandwidth is used for hosting this?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been informed that UOAssist has been fixed. If you continue to have problems with Mapper after the next update is pushed out for Mapper, please let me know.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't downloaded ti and tried it yet (im at work) but do the player positions update fairly quickly?
Almost real-time.

And Mad - from a bandwidth perspective, what kind of bandwidth is used for hosting this?
Any broadband connection would suffice for a small group, say 5-10, if you're talking about running it on the machine you will be playing on.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just one thing after another today.
1. The patch messes with UOA, which appears to have messed with Mapper.
2. Ultima Mapper get accepted.
3. My web host has gone offline.
Lol, feel for ya, thats the way things always work.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Almost real-time.

Any broadband connection would suffice for a small group, say 5-10, if you're talking about running it on the machine you will be playing on.
Just thinking about it from an internet perspective. I might run it on the machine i play on, might use a diff machine. Would probably be used for up to 20 people. Do you have any real bandwidth statistics on it, in any sort of per client way? (i'm an it guy, these things just intrigue me lol)

Also - i KNOW i have one guildy that has windows 2000 (for some insane reason). Do you know if this runs on it (i don't expect it to)

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just thinking about it from an internet perspective. I might run it on the machine i play on, might use a diff machine. Would probably be used for up to 20 people. Do you have any real bandwidth statistics on it, in any sort of per client way? (i'm an it guy, these things just intrigue me lol)
I've not done any real benchmarking, no. I know that on my development machine (Mac Pro i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM) and 35megabit/s it runs like a champ with up to 50 users. I've not tested beyond that.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FYI, was just talking to a guildy, had him install it (he just updated uoa and had all kinds of problems with it). but trackign wasn't working, and it was showing him in some location he wasn't in. I'll chalk it up to uoa for now until i get home and see it myself.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI, was just talking to a guildy, had him install it (he just updated uoa and had all kinds of problems with it). but trackign wasn't working, and it was showing him in some location he wasn't in. I'll chalk it up to uoa for now until i get home and see it myself.
Make sure to try what's in the FAQ, and what's here.

Nalynn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've read thru this entire thread and am now thoroughly confused about the Ultima Mapper/UOAssist problem. Can Ultima Mapper work without UO Assist when using the Classic Client? Or does Mapper have to work in conjunction with UO Assist?

I have tried using the UOA updates which failed to get UOA to function at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and it still failed to work. Ultima Mapper actually sounds like it may have the features I relied on in UO Assist, so I'd be happy to use Mapper if I can use it without UOA.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also - i KNOW i have one guildy that has windows 2000 (for some insane reason). Do you know if this runs on it (i don't expect it to)
While it may function on Win2K, officially I'm only supporting XP and greater.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've read thru this entire thread and am now thoroughly confused about the Ultima Mapper/UOAssist problem. Can Ultima Mapper work without UO Assist when using the Classic Client? Or does Mapper have to work in conjunction with UO Assist?

I have tried using the UOA updates which failed to get UOA to function at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and it still failed to work. Ultima Mapper actually sounds like it may have the features I relied on in UO Assist, so I'd be happy to use Mapper if I can use it without UOA.
Ultima Mapper requires UOAssist in order to function.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a semi-related note, anyone know if UO:Cart. is still legal?

It still shows up on the December "allowed" list but doesn't show up on the one linked to in the Mapper post.

Of course at the time Cart was made the theory is that it didn't actually do anything that would require it to get approval as it didn't sniff or mess with any packets or the UO client or anything like that.

I expect I will be switching to Mapper but I am one of those "slow and deliberate change" types. Too me weeks to use UO:Cart!

-Galen's player

Nalynn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK MadMartyr, I'm back with another question. I use Classic Client. I reinstalled UOAssist and downloaded/installed Ultima Mapper. I started the game using my UOA desktop shortcut and loaded a character. Then I started Ultima Mapper. Like another who posted earlier, the app loads, and shows "NewPlayer" in Lord British Castle in Britain, but will not track my characters (I've tried more than one). The Select Client window launches and shows number of clients 0 and 0 for the other value. The button for "Close" works, but the button for "Next" does nothing. If I click "Close", the window closes.

I did the rt-clk, Settings, uncheck box for Enhanced Client. Still nothing. I tried rt-clk, Select Client and a dialogue box pops up, but there is nothing in it. I've tinkered with checking and unchecking some of the other menu items and nothing changes. I feel like perhaps I'm still missing some important step, but cannot figure out what it might be.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
OK MadMartyr, I'm back with another question. I use Classic Client. I reinstalled UOAssist and downloaded/installed Ultima Mapper. I started the game using my UOA desktop shortcut and loaded a character. Then I started Ultima Mapper. Like another who posted earlier, the app loads, and shows "NewPlayer" in Lord British Castle in Britain, but will not track my characters (I've tried more than one). The Select Client window launches and shows number of clients 0 and 0 for the other value. The button for "Close" works, but the button for "Next" does nothing. If I click "Close", the window closes.

I did the rt-clk, Settings, uncheck box for Enhanced Client. Still nothing. I tried rt-clk, Select Client and a dialogue box pops up, but there is nothing in it. I've tinkered with checking and unchecking some of the other menu items and nothing changes. I feel like perhaps I'm still missing some important step, but cannot figure out what it might be.
Mine worked for me after I went to "settings" and put in a display name.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Once you have entered a Display Name, and unchecked Enhanced Client, when you click OK to exit settings, a window pops up with nothing in it. Close that window, then right-click the map and choose "Select Client". That window should display 1 of X (number of clients open). The map should now display the current location of client 1. If you have more than one client open, clicking next will show the position of the currently displayed client number (1...2...3...etc). Click close when it is tracking the correct client.

If it shows 0 of 0 constantly, then that would be an issue with UOA, and I would have to investigate further.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tested Ultima Mapper with the latest UOA and Classic Client, and Mapper works entirely as expected. A new update will be released within the next couple of days with some fixes. Stay tuned at the official website for more information, or just wait until Mapper alerts you of an available update at launch time.

L

Lazarus!

Even with UO AutoMap and UO Cartographer, only a tiny fraction of users ran mapping servers, most just ran clients
I run such servers since years for a lot of guilds:
http://www.einert.org/uoboard/viewtopic.php?t=5487
Now they ask me if i can host the new Ultima Mapper and I tried to run it on my server. It's not working, because:
  1. I can only put 4 chars in the Port edit field, but it only saves with a port# over 10000. It just cuts off all digits after the 4th. So i can't change port at all.
  2. When i want to run mutliple instances on one server, i have to load every instance with its own (port)configuration. Thats not possible now.
  3. Where does it store its configuration? Didn't find it in registry nor file system ...
  4. Only a small issue: Please remove the installer. Let us just copy the directory or better call it with a configuration file as parameter.
The guild mates have been enthusiastic about the new features, please let me be enthusiastic about the server version. ;)

Nalynn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you have entered a Display Name, and unchecked Enhanced Client, when you click OK to exit settings, a window pops up with nothing in it. Close that window, then right-click the map and choose "Select Client". That window should display 1 of X (number of clients open). The map should now display the current location of client 1. If you have more than one client open, clicking next will show the position of the currently displayed client number (1...2...3...etc). Click close when it is tracking the correct client.

If it shows 0 of 0 constantly, then that would be an issue with UOA, and I would have to investigate further.

Hi! That didn't work, unfortunately. I followed everyone's suggestions and still have the same problem.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run such servers since years for a lot of guilds:
http://www.einert.org/uoboard/viewtopic.php?t=5487
Now they ask me if i can host the new Ultima Mapper and I tried to run it on my server. It's not working, because:
  1. I can only put 4 chars in the Port edit field, but it only saves with a port# over 10000. It just cuts off all digits after the 4th. So i can't change port at all.
  2. When i want to run mutliple instances on one server, i have to load every instance with its own (port)configuration. Thats not possible now.
  3. Where does it store its configuration? Didn't find it in registry nor file system ...
  4. Only a small issue: Please remove the installer. Let us just copy the directory or better call it with a configuration file as parameter.
The guild mates have been enthusiastic about the new features, please let me be enthusiastic about the server version. ;)
To be quite honest, the server wasn't initially meant for mass consumption. I just recently made the decision to distribute it. It is meant to be run as a GUI, so headless systems need not apply (for now). The config file is stored in the user's preferences directory (c:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming, for instance) as Ultima Mapper Server.xml. On other operating systems, it'll be in the Preferences folder. This was done purely for distribution purposes, so that John Everyman can run an installer and have the server up and running in no time. The headless (service) version, when released, will be more geared to individuals like yourself. The database (serverdb.rsd) should also be stored in the AppData directory for the user.

As far as multiple instances are concerned, the server allows for multiple networks per instance, so you can run, for example, 5 guilds on the same port and instance each with a unique network name and password.

The port number issue is an oversight I will investigate.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi! That didn't work, unfortunately. I followed everyone's suggestions and still have the same problem.
To clarify, you are running a licensed copy of UOAssist, with the classic client, and "Use Enhanced Client" is unchecked in the Mapper settings, correct?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The server also has built-in update functionality upon launch, so when I push out an update for it, you will receive it.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To clarify, you are running a licensed copy of UOAssist, with the classic client, and "Use Enhanced Client" is unchecked in the Mapper settings, correct?
Does it have to be a registered copy of UO Assist. I ask because UOAM and UOC would work with an unregistered UO Assist, it just had to be loaded.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it have to be a registered copy of UO Assist. I ask because UOAM and UOC would work with an unregistered UO Assist, it just had to be loaded.
I suppose it could, but I've not tested under those circumstances, and I don't know that any of the beta testers were unregistered.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One dearly missed aspect of UO:AM was the house logging feature which wasn't a part of UO:Cartographer, does UO: Mapper have it?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One dearly missed aspect of UO:AM was the house logging feature which wasn't a part of UO:Cartographer, does UO: Mapper have it?
Mapper does not have that function. I don't believe it's possible with customized housing, but I'll look in to it.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mapper does not have that function. I don't believe it's possible with customized housing, but I'll look in to it.
UOAM used to be able to record and save the house information per shard. It's tied into something in UO Assist that quit working several years ago and Tugsoft never fixed it.

It was a great feature cuz you could zoom out on the map and see all the houses on a facet and it was a great tool for comparing houses in the same area on different shards.

It could save both classic and customized style housing. The custom houses were just gray/white squares with an x through the middle but it did save them. It saved them in a file for each shard

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOAM used to be able to record and save the house information per shard. It's tied into something in UO Assist that quit working several years ago and Tugsoft never fixed it.

It was a great feature cuz you could zoom out on the map and see all the houses on a facet and it was a great tool for comparing houses in the same area on different shards.

It could save both classic and customized style housing. The custom houses were just gray/white squares with an x through the middle but it did save them. It saved them in a file for each shard
I believe this information is still passed by UOA to apps that subscribe to the API, but I don't think it's accurate. Without testing further, I can't say for sure, but I do know that some information is coming through. At one point I reviewed this, and determined that it most likely wasn't accurate. I don't recall why now.

L

Lazarus!

As far as multiple instances are concerned, the server allows for multiple networks per instance, so you can run, for example, 5 guilds on the same port and instance each with a unique network name and password.
Ah, finally someone with the right concept. ;)
Thanks to your information i could get the server "productional", runs like a charm. Port could be changed in *.xml directly but now there's no need to do so. Selfprovisioning for the clients would be great (e.g. open a new network name), but you may keep this for the future. ;)
Thanks for the great work!

Cypher2

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot access the Ultima Mapper site, it seems to be down:

Warning: require(/home/agcyphers/ultimamapper.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/twitter-widget.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/agcyphers/ultimamapper.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/jetpack.php on line 238

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/agcyphers/ultimamapper.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/twitter-widget.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/agcyphers/ultimamapper.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/jetpack.php on line 238
Also, I have uoassist and have been unable to get the program to track me, despite following the advice in this thread. :(

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, finally someone with the right concept. ;)
Thanks to your information i could get the server "productional", runs like a charm. Port could be changed in *.xml directly but now there's no need to do so. Selfprovisioning for the clients would be great (e.g. open a new network name), but you may keep this for the future. ;)
Thanks for the great work!
Glad you've got it up and running.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot access the Ultima Mapper site, it seems to be down:
Also, I have uoassist and have been unable to get the program to track me, despite following the advice in this thread. :(
The website will be back up shortly. Unless one of the users who is experiencing the problem with UOAssist is willing to submit to a secure remote session, there isn't much I can do. I'm unable to duplicate the issue, either on my test machines, or my tester's machines.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i followed your instructions. select client window shows 1 and 1 however it will not let me click next, only allows for me to select close.

ok. i ran as an admin. im running windows 7. it started me north of skara instead of brit castle. i manually switched facets to termur than to malas and it picked me up in the middle of luna bank. however, it doesnt track my movement and when i hit the selct client the box pops up but it will not allow me to select next :(

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
\
i followed your instructions. select client window shows 1 and 1 however it will not let me click next, only allows for me to select close.

ok. i ran as an admin. im running windows 7. it started me north of skara instead of brit castle. i manually switched facets to termur than to malas and it picked me up in the middle of luna bank. however, it doesnt track my movement and when i hit the selct client the box pops up but it will not allow me to select next :(
If it shows 1 and 1, then it should be tracking you. There is no need to click Next.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont know what to say than. box shows 1,1 but im now back at brit castle. uoa is uptodate. did a clean reinstall of classic last nite. everything else works normal. 1 thing is the options box doesn have a classic client check box, and path option. yesterday it did.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont know what to say than. box shows 1,1 but im now back at brit castle. uoa is uptodate. did a clean reinstall of classic last nite. everything else works normal. 1 thing is the options box doesn have a classic client check box, and path option. yesterday it did.
Nope. It's never had classic client selectors.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what your settings should look similar to for Classic Client.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm thats what im showing devoid of the server info at the bottom as we have none set up yet.

im wondering if the cc default map in your software is not mapping to where my game is in the C: drive??

mine is like this: computer / local dice (c:) / program files (x86) electronic arts / ultima online classic

thanks for your responses and time. ill make a donation.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm thats what im showing devoid of the server info at the bottom as we have none set up yet.

im wondering if the cc default map in your software is not mapping to where my game is in the C: drive??

mine is like this: computer / local dice (c:) / program files (x86) electronic arts / ultima online classic

thanks for your responses and time. ill make a donation.
The maps are included in the installation for speed. They are not taken from your client installation.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks good apart from the map quality it seem really poor compared with uoc. I hope this is something you can resolve because currently thats the only thing thats putting me off converting straight away.

Oh and turning off the healthbar and leaving my name. It just updates too slow to be useful right now.

Great start tho!!

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks good apart from the map quality it seem really poor compared with uoc. I hope this is something you can resolve because currently thats the only thing thats putting me off converting straight away.

Oh and turning off the healthbar and leaving my name. It just updates too slow to be useful right now.

Great start tho!!
The map quality is actually quite high to accomodate the zoom functionality. The speed of refreshes will, of course, depend upon your system and other running processes, but this is the first time I've heard "It just updates too slow to be useful". Can you provide me with more information?