• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] New 3rd Party Program Approved For UO: UO Mapper

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good news, it works perfectly with another program besides UOAssist....I go back to Assist, and its back to not tracking

S

Sevin0oo0

Good news, it works perfectly with another program besides UOAssist....I go back to Assist, and its back to not tracking
my thoughts exactly. It's not like this was made Today, we just happened to get a data-stream change Today.

EDIT: I say let's wait till Tug updates, should run smoother then, eh?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no issues with UOA here, though I do tire of the Protocol change messageboxes. I also can't rule out the possibility that something is going a bit crazy with UOA.

S

Sevin0oo0

Is there any way to turn off the hollow box that follows me around?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any way to turn off the hollow box that follows me around?
The hollow box is your health bar. It will update when it receives a status update message from UOA. This can be done easily by damaging yourself.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The hollow box is your health bar. It will update when it receives a status update message from UOA. This can be done easily by damaging yourself.
Not currently. You can turn off the entire player marker, but not the HP status bar. This may be added in a future release.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully a close one. I'll wait to use it 'til after that.

S

Sevin0oo0

Yea...Maybe Sevin will let you tho. I dont even know them and they seem to be having similar issues.
If it doesn't smooth out after Assist does, i'm not objecting to that. i treat my box like a work box, nothing personal is stored.

For the nay-sayers, i ask several things: How do you think this app was approved, and allowed? Remember, Devs designed the game, think they don't hang out on boards besides Stratics, like Bug and Cheat Boards, when their welfare, and of their families depends on the success of UO, their very life, so-to speak? They might even have helped in testing/coding

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it doesn't smooth out after Assist does, i'm not objecting to that. i treat my box like a work box, nothing personal is stored.

For the nay-sayers, i ask several things: How do you think this app was approved, and allowed? Remember, Devs designed the game, think they don't hang out on boards besides Stratics, like Bug and Cheat Boards, when their welfare, and of their families depends on the success of UO, their very life, so-to speak? They might even have helped in testing/coding
I can assure you that noone helped with the coding, but I don't believe EA/Mythic went in to this with their eyes closed. Ultima Mapper was submitted for approval nearly two months ago, and is just now being accepted. I'm sure they took this time to thoroughly review the application.

Ultima Mapper has also been strenuously tested in one of the (if not THE) largest guilds, and in use daily since January. It has been put through the gauntlet of being run in everything from Windows XP SP1 all the way up to Win8 Dev builds. I've even run it on my Mac Pro with the Enhanced Client running in CrossOver. In all, there were nearly 25 beta testers for the application. I'm fairly certain that all CC users tested Mapper with UOA.

It's also important to note that Ultima Mapper is now on version 1.4.3, so development has been, and will continue to be ongoing.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so upset. Ultima Mapper works with CC only via Assist, it's a terrible.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so upset. Ultima Mapper works with CC only via Assist, it's a terrible.
Unfortunately, any other way of doing could have kept it from being accepted in to the 3rd Party program.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, any other way of doing could have kept it from being accepted in to the 3rd Party program.
I know, but Assist is dead program without updates. Maybe if Mapper is officialy approved now, you can make normal version for CC?

MadMartyr and another question. Any plans to make a FreeBSD server version?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know, but Assist is dead program without updates. Maybe if Mapper is officialy approved now, you can make normal version for CC?

MadMartyr and another question. Any plans to make a FreeBSD server version?
While I have contemplated making a replacement for UOA, I don't really have the time at the moment for such an undertaking. It could be done quite simply the way UOA currently does it, I just don't have the spare time to devote to it.

While there are no plans to build a FreeBSD specific binary, FreeBSD supposedly supports something like 90% of all linux applications. If that's true, odds are in your favor that the linux server will work on FreeBSD.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im am so happy that a program got added after all these years.
i had thought they locked that down and where never gonna allow programs to be added again.

i havnt used the progy, but im DLing it as we speak and i will be getting my guild to do the same when they get on tonight.

im looking forward to using it, and thanks again for all your hard work on getting this going.
and again, damn good job on getting it added to the list.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While there are no plans to build a FreeBSD specific binary, FreeBSD supposedly supports something like 90% of all linux applications. If that's true, odds are in your favor that the linux server will work on FreeBSD.
I'll test it, but usually *BSD systems have a special build.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im am so happy that a program got added after all these years.
i had thought they locked that down and where never gonna allow programs to be added again.

i havnt used the progy, but im DLing it as we speak and i will be getting my guild to do the same when they get on tonight.

im looking forward to using it, and thanks again for all your hard work on getting this going.
and again, damn good job on getting it added to the list.
Thank you for the compliments, and I hope you and your guildmates enjoy Mapper.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*pokes you* I consider not having a "tilt map" a bug! So there!
(Where is my whip smiley!)
It'll be in there eventually. ;) A great deal of the work is already done, just need some time to finalize it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* I see how you are Flutter.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...basically UOAM is dead, UO Cart is dead, and now we can use Ultima Mapper? Er...I guess I'll stick to UO Cart unless I have to make a switch, but nice to see the Pro back. Now, fix UOA and give us some alternatives, haha.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...basically UOAM is dead, UO Cart is dead, and nowe can use Ultima Mapper? Er...I guess I'll stick to UO Cart unless I have to make a switch, but nice to see the Pro back. Now, fix UOA and give us some alternatives, haha.
UOAM and UOCart have been unmaintained for quite some time. Ultima Mapper's purpose isn't just to replace them, but to build upon what they offer and improve the game experience. With Ultima Mapper, it's easier than ever to coordinate with your friends, or help out a guildmate who is in trouble.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOAM and UOCart have been unmaintained for quite some time. Ultima Mapper's purpose isn't just to replace them, but to build upon what they offer and improve the game experience. With Ultima Mapper, it's easier than ever to coordinate with your friends, or help out a guildmate who is in trouble.
Wow...if that didn't sound like a sales pitch...I've been in business too long, methinks.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NP, I'm sure Ultima Mapper is cool. Just don't understand why EA never approved UO Cart. I mean, Cal did, verbally, at least. The timing of this announcement is funny given the new UO patcher and the UOA trouble as a result. Hoping EA will be a tad more third-party aware--at least, vocally, and officially.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NP, I'm sure Ultima Mapper is cool. Just don't understand why EA never approved UO Cart. I mean, Cal did, verbally, at least. The timing of this announcement is funny given the new UO patcher and the UOA trouble as a result. Hoping EA will be a tad more third-party focused.
While I don't know the answer to that, I'd say there was a reason. Maybe they felt UOAM was good enough for the community at the time? Either way, anything I could offer would be purely speculation.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
question.
in the CC i right clicked, de-clicked the EC option, then it came up with a screen that said choose client.
but that screen in blank.....
there is nothing for me to choose?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
question.
in the CC i right clicked, de-clicked the EC option, then it came up with a screen that said choose client.
but that screen in blank.....
there is nothing for me to choose?
Yes, that is a previously reported bug that has been fixed for the next release. Simply close that window, then right-click and choose "Select Client". If you only have one client open, you may close the resulting window, and it should begin tracking you.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The server application is available on the download page.
Congratulations on getting this approved and making it work with both clients! From what I read on the website, your application sounds pretty cool.

I have a couple of dumb questions for you, though.

1. If you want to show up on the same map with guildmates, it sounds like you need to log into a server for that. It's been a long time since I've used Automap, but it seems like I remember that individuals could easily host that and there were also some companies that would host it for you. Is that the way your application works as well? If yes, are you aware of any companies providing hosting services for Ultima Mapper yet? (Sorry, I haven't done a search yet to find out.)

2. If you have multiple people logging into the same server to show up on the same map together, is there any problem if some of them are using the EC and some are using the CC, or must they all be using the same client? If you can have a mixed group (i.e., people on same server using both clients), will any features be available/unavailable by client? (I'm currently using the CC but never bothered with getting UO Assist again after I came back from a game break a while back and was using a different computer when I returned. Really don't want to have to get UO Assist again, especially with all the new patching issues, so I'm contemplating trying once again to get the EC to work and switch over to using that. But I'm not keen on doing that if it means I can't be on the same map with guildmates that are using the CC.)

3. I can't for the life of me figure out how to read the "news"/blog entries on your website in the News section. I can see about one or two lines of each but can't figure out how to expand them.

Thanks!

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. If you want to show up on the same map with guildmates, it sounds like you need to log into a server for that. It's been a long time since I've used Automap, but it seems like I remember that individuals could easily host that and there were also some companies that would host it for you. Is that the way your application works as well? If yes, are you aware of any companies providing hosting services for Ultima Mapper yet? (Sorry, I haven't done a search yet to find out.)
There are currently no third-party companies hosting Ultima Mapper servers, though I plan to do that soon, since the demand appears to be there.

2. If you have multiple people logging into the same server to show up on the same map together, is there any problem if some of them are using the EC and some are using the CC, or must they all be using the same client? If you can have a mixed group (i.e., people on same server using both clients), will any features be available/unavailable by client? (I'm currently using the CC but never bothered with getting UO Assist again after I came back from a game break a while back and was using a different computer when I returned. Really don't want to have to get UO Assist again, especially with all the new patching issues, so I'm contemplating trying once again to get the EC to work and switch over to using that. But I'm not keen on doing that if it means I can't be on the same map with guildmates that are using the CC.)
Either client works with the server, and everything is interchangeable between them. All features work for all clients.

3. I can't for the life of me figure out how to read the "news"/blog entries on your website in the News section. I can see about one or two lines of each but can't figure out how to expand them.
In the News section, click on the title of the article you wish to read. For instance, "Ultima Mapper Gets Approves" in large blue text.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the News section, click on the title of the article you wish to read. For instance, "Ultima Mapper Gets Approves" in large blue text.
I'm not seeing any titles for the articles. For example, all I see for the first news article is this: "I have just spoken directly with Mesanna, and Ultima Mapper has been officially approved! You may now use it without...

March 13. 2012, under Updates, Various News with 0 Comments" There's no blue linking title at the top of that square and the links at the bottom don't take me anywhere helpful. Maybe I have something turned off that's affecting what I see?

Edited to add: And thanks for the replies to the two other questions.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, that is a previously reported bug that has been fixed for the next release. Simply close that window, then right-click and choose "Select Client". If you only have one client open, you may close the resulting window, and it should begin tracking you.
i actually was fumbling around with it and i was gonna come in here and post the same thing. i R clicked then hit the select server, it showed me the 1 sever, i hit ok, then the map worked fine.

the choose sever screen still remained blank, like you mentioned above you allready know that and have a fix for it, but the map works good!

and i was just gonna ask the same thing that tina was saying.
can i run this on the same server that allready hosts my UOAM or do i need to get a new host for this?
and ya know..... if you where thinking.... since you allready have a web site, you should offer hosting for like $2-$5 a month, make some money to pay for your site!

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i actually was fumbling around with it and i was gonna come in here and post the same thing. i R clicked then hit the select server, it showed me the 1 sever, i hit ok, then the map worked fine.

the choose sever screen still remained blank, like you mentioned above you allready know that and have a fix for it, but the map works good!

and i was just gonna ask the same thing that tina was saying.
can i run this on the same server that allready hosts my UOAM or do i need to get a new host for this?
and ya know..... if you where thinking.... since you allready have a web site, you should offer hosting for like $2-$5 a month, make some money to pay for your site!
No, you don't need a different server. You can select what port your Ultima Mapper server listens on.

Yes, I'm going to open a hosting service for Ultima Mapper, and the price will be right around there.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not seeing any titles for the articles. For example, all I see for the first news article is this: "I have just spoken directly with Mesanna, and Ultima Mapper has been officially approved! You may now use it without...

March 13. 2012, under Updates, Various News with 0 Comments" There's no blue linking title at the top of that square and the links at the bottom don't take me anywhere helpful. Maybe I have something turned off that's affecting what I see?

Edited to add: And thanks for the replies to the two other questions.
Interesting. Do you have JavaScript disabled?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, apparently my web host is having some issues right now. Neither their site nor mine will load. Should be fixed shortly.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just one thing after another today.
1. The patch messes with UOA, which appears to have messed with Mapper.
2. Ultima Mapper get accepted.
3. My web host has gone offline.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too many visitors :stretcher:
Nope. Apparently a scheduled server upgrade, according to their status site. I'm just trying to figure out why upgrading one server would take their whole network offline. Poor planning.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. Apparently a scheduled server upgrade, according to their status site. I'm just trying to figure out why upgrading one server would take their whole network offline. Poor planning.
Ah. There we go. Good as new.