• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] City Loyalty Ratings Explained

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want town loyalty to go up? Then do something...today.

I do not have a problem with working loyalty up, I have a problem with having to maintain it up because of decay (and, mind you, positive loyalty decays faster than negative loyalty.....).........

Don't care enough to do something today? Then understand the trade off: You don't have to do anything for town loyalty today, but you won't gain anything.

You just don't, and absolutely should not...get Something for Nothing.

All of our Loyalty decays...not just yours. I work a full time job...practice music 4-5 hours everyday, and I am still Venerated on a couple of my characters. Good enough. And if the Loyalty decays over time, because they set it up that way, you sure have a right to voice your dislike...but you are not alone in having to maintain loyalty, and you are not alone in the rate of decay.

I think post #36 (http://vboards.stratics.com/2088769-post36.html) explained quite well what is my concern also

Now there's some arbitrary moment in the far future that we don't know about, at which point the system will take a snapshot of our character, and that's what's used to determine the consequences or rewards or whatever it is.

But if I work hard now, keep it up for a month, but then grow bored and have decay, I lose out if the snapshot is taken a week later. While another player, that only did some tasks 2 days prior to the magic moment, runs off with all the glory.

I am sorry, but I cannot possibly agree with a system like this, too much room for unfairness and wasted work from players, IMHO.

"If you choose not to decide...you still have made a choice..."
As I see it, in order to make a decision it is necessary to have sufficient informations.
I do not think it as important whether it is or not a choice, what I think is important is to have/provide the informations that are needed to make a good choice, not a bad one.

Want to have loyalty decay ? Fine. Then, provide the information to players of when exactly characters' Town Loyalty will become meaningfull for whatever, so that players, according to the time that they can allocate to the game and their playing schedule, will work loyalty up to their liking and schedule to meet that deadline........

Informations, informations, informations. Provide comprehensive informations to allow players to make their decisions........

This said, I am not in favour of "spilling the beans" so to speak........

That is, I find it as important to maintain a good level of secrecy on the unfolding of Events as it keeps them more interesting to see "what comes up" as the Event unfolds.

But, at the same time I think that the secrecy should not play against players as Loyalty decay I think does. It makes players' time and work to buld Loyalty become worthless unless one "keeps it up".....

So, yes to secrecy but give information out when the secrecy might harm players.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like the poster, woodsman, has stated in a multitude of posts, there is a certain veil of secrecy for some reason that UO feels it needs to have that other games lack. There is also a distressing lack of communication that we face other games do not possess.

I do not see secrecy as a bad thing unless it works against players harming them somehow.

Maintaining the secrecy I see it as good to add thrill, interest to a new Event or game addition. Often, the journey of discovery is a fun one.

But having to maintain Loyalty up without knowing for how long (could be for a week, for a month, for 6 months, who knows.......) because of the decay I just cannot see it as a fun way for me.

S

Silverbrook

I do not see secrecy as a bad thing unless it works against players harming them somehow.

Maintaining the secrecy I see it as good to add thrill, interest to a new Event or game addition. Often, the journey of discovery is a fun one.

But having to maintain Loyalty up without knowing for how long (could be for a week, for a month, for 6 months, who knows.......) because of the decay I just cannot see it as a fun way for me.
I do not think that it is 'harming' players as perhaps more 'not showing them a reason to assist in participating in the event'.

Harm to me infers punishment. I believe what we have is more a cloud of apathy due to the neglect in revealing more about why loyalty is important. The UO team needs to give players a reason to want to do this beyond role play or vague promises of 'this has an impact'... because in the past we have been told things will have far reaching impact when, sadly, they have not.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...because in the past we have been told things will have far reaching impact when, sadly, they have not.
Perhaps the Veil of Vagueness (tm BioWare Mythic) has been draped across this arc because they don't want to tell us where it's going and then not be able to provide it. A la the massive lie that New Magincia turned out to be: "New Magincia will be remade as the city of Humility befitting the Ultima tradition..." when in reality, it is little more than a dying strip mall in a trailer park.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if there was no decay I might do the event but with decay WHATS THE POINT?

U

UWstudent

The rewards will prob be some anniversary item, named and hued, based off of your town selection and loyalty rating, and/or your toon will get some benefit in the town you've selected and the intesnity will be determined by your loyalty rating. Predictable,

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have worked very hard to achieve Adored in every city... but the average player does not have 3 whole days to spend doing things like this...

And then I must ask myself what for??? Next weekend when I have time to do this I'll have to spend the entire weekend to get back up to Adored... what a crock. I can see a slight decay over time yes... but this is WAY too much.

No one has the kind of time to spend on this... and you want me to maintain this sort of thing for several MONTHS??? I dare say you are insane!

And I too agree with Martyna... this would be more fun and rewarding if you gained a title with it. Some vaguely referenced reward to come later just doesn't do much to boost my enthusiasm. Sorry to say.

And the total click fest of clearing the mess and fire is less than appealing.

I certainly hope this is more than another song and dance... I'll say one thing though I'm glad to see this actually seems to be something that promotes virtuous behavior unlike most other events that seem to encourage people to act in the most selfish vile ways. I'm not so sure I like the direction of this or that I see this event as something that will not end well... but I'm glad to see that doing the "right" thing is being promoted.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm okay with the mystery of what loyalty will be worth. To me, loyalty should be kind of blind and not motivated by greed.

But the decay rate is demoralizing. I've carefully let my title just barely get to venerated, then logged back in 24 hours later to find myself back to to Adored. It took 15 minutes of feeding, arresting rioters, gathering garbage and putting out fires to get the title back to venerated. Doesn't sound too bad till I do the math and realize I will be spending about 8 hours a month to maintain a title (I don't think my huge stockpile of fish steaks can last this long)! I really hope this stage doesn't stretch out over several months and like others have said, it really should be worth more to maintain loyalty, rather than just hopping on three days before the next stage and getting your loyalty up.

C

Carharrt

I`m not bothering with town loyalty till more is opened up. I got enough to keep me occupied without stompin out fires every day just to keep my loyalty up. I`ll raise it later when it is actually useful for something.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah I remember it well, the invasion of Britain, which went ON and On and On and On and ruined West Britain Bank for all time. Lets hope it doesn't last that long.
Well, the Brit invasion is looked at as one of the most successful in-game events in the history of UO. I wouldn't say the invasion ruined WBB. :p

Would be pretty cool if I had negative loyalty to Brit, people with positive loyalty were orange to me :).
Ha, you know if four factions don't work that eightish won't either ;P

Of course, remember when they were going to bring an ORder/Chaos back...that never happened...people didn't want to lose four sides

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The books able to be found in the cities are a nice touch, though Moonglow's book appears to be missing.
It sure is a nice touch but I haven't seen any posts about the books until I came across your site:
Civil Unrest - Library of Sosaria

So I'm not sure if others know about these books which support the story brilliantly.

It seems the guilds The New World Order of Minoc and The Ore of Vesper might soon declare war against each other.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the Brit invasion is looked at as one of the most successful in-game events in the history of UO. I wouldn't say the invasion ruined WBB. :p

Ha, you know if four factions don't work that eightish won't either ;P

Of course, remember when they were going to bring an ORder/Chaos back...that never happened...people didn't want to lose four sides
I was thinking more for event purposes. You could actually join the event on the evil side which would be pretty cool imo...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sure is a nice touch but I haven't seen any posts about the books until I came across your site:
Civil Unrest - Library of Sosaria

So I'm not sure if others know about these books which support the story brilliantly.

It seems the guilds The New World Order of Minoc and The Ore of Vesper might soon declare war against each other.

I heard about the book found on Atlantic, then Galen found one in Minoc. I knew there had to be more so I found the other six. They are a nice touch and definitely add to the overall story, I especially like how several reference events depicted in another.

I still want something to be posted explaining why the cities suddenly got all paranoid. Food shortages have been the EM's reason... But.. honestly...food? Really? Nobody bothers to talk about it before going psycho?

The posted stories are nice, but they all just abruptly end. A literary teaser device that is OK once or twice, but not three times in a row.

S

Sevin0oo0

Those books do add a lot more story line, Thanks,

With shops being robbed and what not, I'm surprised vendors (and other NPC's) will stay in the affected areas, all for no extra charge and acting as if invisible to raiders or other town invaders. This always strikes me rather oddly in events as unrealistic, adding an aura of Fake. Now if many fled or started charging the normal price x10, it would seem better planned to me.