• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOCartographer beta (new UOAM) [0.9.8.0 Dec 17, re-read OP first]

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: UOCartographer beta, now available! (new UOAM)

not working in linux with wine.. i get this error any ideas?

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void System.GC.Collect(Int32, System.GCCollectionMode)'.
at #=q6dSvFMPKWUUhQVVQMP5E_RoI1cbh3C9fv1JOrzXOJFk=.#=qw7mqhAE5RsOQbWMvVNQuxA==()
at #=q6dSvFMPKWUUhQVVQMP5E_RoI1cbh3C9fv1JOrzXOJFk=.#=quGqC6uKdRFaFw4$1eZyJu48sDj_TSlSMT3EYpYfVvTE=()
at #=q6dSvFMPKWUUhQVVQMP5E_RoI1cbh3C9fv1JOrzXOJFk=..ctor()
at #=qWxdJjTsgbneH9TOcft_jKDiINhVu5Nq9GtrdZb$kHAs=.#=qU3LOq1ti_Q8$lE1m8M6XhQ==()

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When I try starting my server all I get is the box and in the box say "starting server", and it does nothing. . Any clues? Thanks
See this post:

yeah the server is in, it's just a little unfriendly :)

Here's a brief rundown for everyone:

You first need to set a port, just pick 11000 since this seems to work, or another number if you like (say between 2000 and 65000). Check the Global Password box and type in a password. This is the simple way to use it which we'll stick to for now :)

If you want guildies to connect you'll need to forward the port on your router/modem. This varies from model to model. Forward the port you chose to the internal IP of the PC running the server. To find the internal IP, go Start->Run type cmd and hit OK then type ipconfig it should show up there. Probably something like 192.168.x.x. Forward the port to that address and choose UDP or ANY for the Protocol or Type.

Now find out what your external IP is. There are plenty of websites that will do this. Give this external IP, the port and the password to your guildies and get them to enter it in the UOC options and check "Show Status". Then they can choose "Connect" and the little light should go green! :) The person running the server should use the internal IP instead of the external one.

To address another issue: There are a few reasons why UOC is not compatible with UOAM servers.

First and foremost is the fact that the UOAM protocol is closed and not public. There have been some efforts to reverse engineer it but these are wobbly at best and possibly not very "legal" at worse. This is the main reason UOC does not support it.

Secondly, the UOAM server is very old and slow. It updates at a snails pace compared to UOC. I think the UOAM server updates maybe once every 2-3 seconds, which is terrible :(

Yes, it is going to be a pain in the ass, but the server is still a work in progress and can be expanded and improved. I could even open the protocol so others can implement servers, or make a dedicated linux one, all without being constrained by the legacy of UOAM.

Well, hope that was somewhat helpful :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Kiwi:

Have you imported the Treasure Map coordinates as markers into the program yet? If not, the UOAM file of the maps is in the Fishing & T-hunting forum, and the actual latitude & longitude are in the Stratics THB pages. The UOAM file also gives the corresponding Goodman system numbers for the maps along with the THB system numbers, so even if you have to reenter the coordinates into your program manually, it would be good to double-check the UOAM file for the matching numbers.

Note that an operation among UO Stratics Treasure Hunter forum users went and double-checked all the coordinates about 3-4 years ago, so the archive and the UOAM file mentioned are more accurate than most rune libraries, as well as most Goodman system reference pages (which, if still up, haven't been updated since the man was still among the living).

C

Calliope

This is a great tool, it works perfectly and runs on the guild server just fine. I only have one small issue with it - I like to tilt the map to match the game screen, but when I do the top right and bottom left corners are black. The map is confined to a slanted strip.

Is there a way to fix this? The untilted map fills the window normally.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Awsome!! Got the server working. I got 4 peaple in it atm and it works GREAT. Thanks so much Kiwi,great instructions on how to port forward.This is such a great program,being able to get the server going just put the icing on the cake.:thumbup:

S

Salya Sin

Oh YAY! I had no problems with the download or getting it started up. Thanks so much for this!!! I missed UOAM just running without the errors and clicking cancel... and... well.. crashing.

The only question I have... are there plans for this to log player houses the way that UOAM did? I started manually placing houses in UOAM and this will mean starting over. :(

Again! Thanks and keep up the good work!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tested the server, works good so far.

Also found out how to change the label for myself (the one that says "you").

1 minor issue though, players that are logged out and have closed the UO client but left UOCartographer running doesn't get removed from the server.

S

SUPRsalad

I'll go ahead and assume you got the port forwarding thing sorted then? It can be a pain sometimes, depending on your router or modem.
it felt a little like running with scissors in the dark, but I actually nailed it first try.. Thanks though!

I've never done it before, and I read some horror stories about 'bricking' a router.. I had no idea! How terrifying!

S

SUPRsalad

Tested the server, works good so far.

Also found out how to change the label for myself (the one that says "you").

1 minor issue though, players that are logged out and have closed the UO client but left UOCartographer running doesn't get removed from the server.
yeah, i noticed that too, but it has a nice counter-feature:
'time-out' feature.. Nice feature really, I see on the log that several players 'timed out' last night on their own.. I like that..

S

SUPRsalad

There is just one minor annoyance, can you make it so that when it is borderless it is able to move??

The problem comes as the size and position of the map changes once it has gone borderless, as i said its not a major thing just a little annoying at times.
Everyone keeps saying that, but frankly, i LOVE how you can drag around on the map to see where you are going.. People are complaining, basically, that it does not behave exactly like automap.. which, it is not. Its a new system, and with a new system, there is always a learning curve.. I say keep the way it is..

R

RichDC

Dont get me wrong, i like the ability to click and drag the map.

All im thinking is maybe with say, ctrl left click or shift left click...you can make the map movable.

Doesn't change any of the other functions but makes it moveable, if...the map didnt change location when you have de-bordered it, wouldn't need to move it but i would guess trying to stop that would be a lot more difficult.

Anyways, it was just a suggestion, ill still be using it :)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

wow this map is so useful kiwillian, i already like it more than i did uoam when that was in its prime, now i can uninstall this version of uoam that i have that never updates :) is there a way to connect to other players on a server or would i have to host servers for this? like are there dedicated servers that i could just log onto without having to host one myself?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Demonous,this is what Kiwi posted earlier aboyut servers and connecting.

You first need to set a port, just pick 11000 since this seems to work, or another number if you like (say between 2000 and 65000). Check the Global Password box and type in a password. This is the simple way to use it which we'll stick to for now

If you want guildies to connect you'll need to forward the port on your router/modem. This varies from model to model. Forward the port you chose to the internal IP of the PC running the server. To find the internal IP, go Start->Run type cmd and hit OK then type ipconfig it should show up there. Probably something like 192.168.x.x. Forward the port to that address and choose UDP or ANY for the Protocol or Type.

Now find out what your external IP is. There are plenty of websites that will do this. Give this external IP, the port and the password to your guildies and get them to enter it in the UOC options and check "Show Status". Then they can choose "Connect" and the little light should go green! The person running the server should use the internal IP instead of the external one.

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

wow this map is so useful kiwillian, i already like it more than i did uoam when that was in its prime, now i can uninstall this version of uoam that i have that never updates :) is there a way to connect to other players on a server or would i have to host servers for this? like are there dedicated servers that i could just log onto without having to host one myself?

More than likely you or someone in your guild would have to host. Hopefully some future porting of the server version in the future will allow it to be run from non-windows servers (like the one that hosts our guild site/ forums) :pint:

K

Kiwillian

not working in linux with wine.. i get this error any ideas?

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void System.GC.Collect(Int32, System.GCCollectionMode)'.
You need to update your .NET to either 2.0 SP2 or try installing 3.5.

In other news:

I am working on the server so that it can be hosted. No ETA yet.

K

Kiwillian

Kiwi:

Have you imported the Treasure Map coordinates as markers into the program yet? If not, the UOAM file of the maps is in the Fishing & T-hunting forum, and the actual latitude & longitude are in the Stratics THB pages. The UOAM file also gives the corresponding Goodman system numbers for the maps along with the THB system numbers, so even if you have to reenter the coordinates into your program manually, it would be good to double-check the UOAM file for the matching numbers.

Note that an operation among UO Stratics Treasure Hunter forum users went and double-checked all the coordinates about 3-4 years ago, so the archive and the UOAM file mentioned are more accurate than most rune libraries, as well as most Goodman system reference pages (which, if still up, haven't been updated since the man was still among the living).
You should be able to copy the .MAP files into the UOC directory and they'll show up next time you start it :)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

friend of mine installed it and all but and error occurs when they open the shortcut and they can't run it, im guessing maybe the don't have the .NET 2.0 framework but im not sure exactly where they can download that

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You need to slow the loadup time. I dont have a speed demon computer, infact im on a laptop, yet the very nice UOcartographer splash screen is just that, a splash. I barely see it. Be nice to have a min 5 secs to get your credit for it.

I

IMTHEWHITERABBIT

I now have my guild and alliance guild switched over. Thanks again for the fine work.

M

mugmug

I have tried and tried to get this to work. What i need is a versoin for dummies.

1 Do i need UO Automap files or maps? If so how do i get them?
2 How do i find my path to the client?
3 How do i get UO Cartographer to point to my client?

C

Calliope

So nobody else has my problem with the tilted map? How do I fix it?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Your program just rotates the image like an image editing program would, which ends up making the edges "fuzzy".. it looks like UOAM automatically redraws everything to keep it in pixel ratio so it doesn't get fuzzy, and this was probably done so it looks like it would in the actual radar window in the client. This example image is in the sizes that are most closely comparable, but its there in any size of it. This also doesn't happen unless the map is tilted.

S

SUPRsalad

seriously?? go play wow crysta... seriously...

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why would I?

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In other news:

I am working on the server so that it can be hosted. No ETA yet.

Excellent!!! Just waiting for a couple of guildies to get on to try my home set up, but would much prefer to host it on the web space for a number of reasons.

Thanks again for great work, hell even if it never improves, it's way better than the new client map IMHO

LOL, and don't forget the old saying...."No good deed goes unpunished"

Mike of Ameraust

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im outta luck

Hm, must be my unlucky day

Running Windows 7 and the EC, Cant get it to track me, cant even get it to stay on top.
I tried all the things above, anyone got any other suggestions.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Thank you!!

Very much appreciated!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Your program just rotates the image like an image editing program would, which ends up making the edges "fuzzy".. it looks like UOAM automatically redraws everything to keep it in pixel ratio so it doesn't get fuzzy, and this was probably done so it looks like it would in the actual radar window in the client. This example image is in the sizes that are most closely comparable, but its there in any size of it. This also doesn't happen unless the map is tilted.
Ah, you mean pixelated. I see the same thing. I am only guessing, but I believe one of the reasons is due to the resolution of the generated map.

Small matter, but maybe an option to generate/use higher resolution maps would help? Though it might have to be done at the cost of performance.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No, I mean the opposite.. its SUPPOSED to look pixelated, instead its looking like it got fuzzed out. "Pixelated" would infer clean lines, not ones with varying levels of color that feel "soft" (it feels more like a texture in a 3D game than a map comprised of sprites and pixels). Increasing the resolution wouldn't fix the problem, it would just make it worse with all the reducing... the lines and details would end up distorted that way when scaled down to the current 100%,

Zooithion

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Trying but I don't even see a 'start server' on my server machine.
Connecting with a server and client machine with static ips sitting beside each other.

Both machines run uoc fine, just can't get one to connect with other.
Sever is XP, client machine is vista.

No errors shown.

Any ideas anyone?

When I try starting my server all I get is the box and in the box say "starting server", and it does nothing. . Any clues? Thanks

K

Kiwillian

not ones with varying levels of color that feel "soft"
It's probably this. There's more detail in the UOC map than the UOAM one, which makes it look more "shaded" I guess.

The map itself is as large (resolution-wise) and it can get, each pixel is one in-game tile.

K

Kiwillian

I have tried and tried to get this to work. What i need is a versoin for dummies.

1 Do i need UO Automap files or maps? If so how do i get them?
2 How do i find my path to the client?
3 How do i get UO Cartographer to point to my client?
1. Nope
2. You could check the desktop shortcut to your client, or see what you have UOA pointing to.
3. Choose Options from the menu, it up near the top of the options window.

Hm, must be my unlucky day

Running Windows 7 and the EC, Cant get it to track me, cant even get it to stay on top.
I tried all the things above, anyone got any other suggestions.
Check in the EC sub-forum there are some mods now that work better than what I had done.

Trying but I don't even see a 'start server' on my server machine.
Connecting with a server and client machine with static ips sitting beside each other.

Both machines run uoc fine, just can't get one to connect with other.
Sever is XP, client machine is vista.

No errors shown.

Any ideas anyone?
Did you set a port number in the server options? Make sure you only have one copy of the server running (check the notification area by the clock). See my earlier post for some more step-by-step instructions.

K

Kiwillian

So nobody else has my problem with the tilted map? How do I fix it?
I know what this is but I thought I'd fixed it already. I'll fix it for the next release :)

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's probably this. There's more detail in the UOC map than the UOAM one, which makes it look more "shaded" I guess.

The map itself is as large (resolution-wise) and it can get, each pixel is one in-game tile.
It has nothing to do with "more detail", it has to do with corrupting the detail that's already there. Would you take a random picture from the net, rotate it to that angle making it look all blurry because of the rotation method used, and call it "more detailed"? I'd really hope not. When it comes to pixel graphics, taking them out of the precise pixel form ruins them. If your program used the original stylized map KR shipped with then yeah, i'd understand the blurriness... but you're trying to render a pixelized world with a method that messes with the pixelization.

K

Kiwillian

It has nothing to do with "more detail", it has to do with corrupting the detail that's already there. Would you take a random picture from the net, rotate it to that angle making it look all blurry because of the rotation method used, and call it "more detailed"? I'd really hope not. When it comes to pixel graphics, taking them out of the precise pixel form ruins them. If your program used the original stylized map KR shipped with then yeah, i'd understand the blurriness... but you're trying to render a pixelized world with a method that messes with the pixelization.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean. If you look at that orange/brown box in the NE corner of town above the other town icon and next to you on UOAM it looks the same. It looks like a well defined box on both not a smeary blurry mess. :confused:

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What Crysta means (sorry for the size of the images) is this:

Versus:

Basically what Crysta is saying is that UOAM re-renders the tilted image without aliasing it. UOC does not, and it creates a fuzzy look to it when it's tilted.

To me, it doesn't make enough of a difference to care, because it's still very clear where you are, but it does have a slightly degraded image to it tilted.

K

Kiwillian

OK, I see it now :) Not sure why that is...

Mike of Ameraust

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hm, thought i posted this once but cant see it anywhere so ..

Tried all the things above, running as admin, copied to skin folder etc etc, map doesnt come up automatically even though is in source folder, so I start map then it won't track or stay on top. Am running windows 7 and only use the EC.

Having said this, the map looks incredible, sharp and very clear, so well done.

Anyone got any ideas ??

Grr, now i see my first post

K

Kiwillian

Hm, thought i posted this once but cant see it anywhere so ..

Tried all the things above, running as admin, copied to skin folder etc etc, map doesnt come up automatically even though is in source folder, so I start map then it won't track or stay on top. Am running windows 7 and only use the EC.

Having said this, the map looks incredible, sharp and very clear, so well done.

Anyone got any ideas ??

Grr, now i see my first post
yeah, use one of the better mods/skins. Makes it easier. As for On Top, does it not stay on top even after checking it from the menu?

edit: I had replied to you a bit further up

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What Crysta means (sorry for the size of the images) is this:

Versus:

Basically what Crysta is saying is that UOAM re-renders the tilted image without aliasing it. UOC does not, and it creates a fuzzy look to it when it's tilted.

To me, it doesn't make enough of a difference to care, because it's still very clear where you are, but it does have a slightly degraded image to it tilted.
Thank you... you explained better than I could... lol...

For me.. well, having it like that disorients me terribly since the other maps have never done it... is annoying. Maybe I just notice it more because I am always going on and on about pixels. :\

Zolaf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Question for future versions to update. I added a marker for my house but it put them on all shards. I have no way of deleting it. For some reason there is two of the houses placed and yet the 2nd one is not in the same place when i use the "find" feature. Is this going to be an option to add/delete items as necessary later? Any input would be great, otherwise this is an awesome map! Also, is it possible to make the labels an option to keep them up all the time? I rather enjoyed that so I knew where I was going without having to hover my cursor over each point of interest... Thanks!

K

Kiwillian

Thank you... you explained better than I could... lol...

For me.. well, having it like that disorients me terribly since the other maps have never done it... is annoying. Maybe I just notice it more because I am always going on and on about pixels. :\
Yeah, this is a non-issue I think. I doubt it disorients you terribly to the point you no longer know where you are when you tilt the map :) Maybe too much :pint: hehe

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not that kind of disorienting...I mean it literally makes me feel a bit dizzy because ive been using maps without that for nearly a decade... that and the difference in focus alone could cause that.

R

Reximus

Yeah, this is a non-issue I think. I doubt it disorients you terribly to the point you no longer know where you are when you tilt the map :) Maybe too much :pint: hehe
It's fine as is, don't listen to her.

S

Ser Osis Of GoL

Alright first off love it... I have been reading most the post and problem/fix, and I hope i didn't miss the answer to this one... But I am not getting any town markers in Tokuno Islands Makoto-Jima... I have the options set to see town markers. Is there something I should be doing to fix this... Thanks

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

More than likely you or someone in your guild would have to host. Hopefully some future porting of the server version in the future will allow it to be run from non-windows servers (like the one that hosts our guild site/ forums) :pint:
Is Mono not working with the server, i have a windows root, so i cant test it.

C

Calliope

My problem is not "fuzziness" when the map is tilted. It looks like this!

Ack, that didn't work - back to the drawing board!

A

Aboo

I haven't used it much yet but what I have used it for I love it. Thank you!

S

SUPRsalad

Not that kind of disorienting...I mean it literally makes me feel a bit dizzy because ive been using maps without that for nearly a decade... that and the difference in focus alone could cause that.
get out. go play wowzers..