• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOCartographer beta (new UOAM) [0.9.8.0 Dec 17, re-read OP first]

K

Kiwillian

UOCartographer (aka UOC) is a free replacement for UOAutomap. It's features include support for the new lands of Ter Mur and compatibilty with the Enhanced Client (EC).

You can get the latest/current version from the following URL:

http://uocartographer.com/Beta/UOCSetup.exe

You will need the .NET 2.0 SP1 framework to use it, but most people should have it already. Otherwise you can get it from the Microsoft website.

< legalese >
Disclaimer:

While this program is currently not officially or publically endorsed or approved by EA/Mythic, you are free to use it without repercussion. If you have any problems, do not contact EA/Mythic about it, they DO NOT provide support for this or any other 3rd party program.

Representitives of EA/Mythic have directly told me that you will not be banned for using this and that I am free to distribute it. It does not sniff packets, read the clients memory or interfere in any way with the client.
< /legalese >

After installing it, when you run it for the first time it will build the maps. This may take a few minutes. If this fails for some reason, right click on the map window and choose Options and make sure the paths to the client and the client selection are correct. You may need to restart it if you do this.

After the maps have been built you should be good to go. In 2D/Classic you must be running UOAssist for it to track you. In the EC you will need to copy MapWindow.lua from the installation directory to your <EC path>/User Interface/<skin name>/Source/ directory. There are more details in the ReadMe.txt file.

There is a seperate server program so you can get everyone together. To use this have someone run the server, pick a port from the options window (address does nothing) and make sure they open it on their router/firewall (UDP port 11000 is the default, or should be). You can choose to use a global password like UOAM or per user accounts. Global password is probably the easiest for now. Your friends can now connect by going to the options window and entering the IP and port of the server, choosing a username and entering the password. Checking "Show Status" will add a little red/green indicator to the UI so you can see if you are connected or not. Then pick "Connect" from the right-click menu to connect.

UOC can use the UOAM ".map" marker files and several are included.

You can scroll the map by left clicking and dragging. You can also "flick" the map in the same manner to scroll quickly. Double clicking will toggle borderless mode and the mousewheel will zoom in and out.

Phew! This is pretty long already. Feel free to try it out and let me know in this thread if you have any problems or questions. I'm not here 24/7 but I'll try and respond as soon as I can :)

Quick Guide To Common Problems.

Installer Fails: Run the installer as admin if you are on Vista/7. Redownload the installer and save it to a file and go from there.Should be fixed in 0.9.6.3

Black Window: Double and Triple check your client paths. Make sure you are setting the right one for your client and that it actually exists in windows explorer. 2d: Check it against the path in UOAssist and/or UOAM.

Doesn't Track: 2d: try running UOC as admin. It may have trouble talking to UOAssist on Vista/7 if the two programs are running at different user levels. EC: check the EC Beta subforum, there are mods and skins becoming available that make EC work seamlessly with UOC!

Server Does Nothing: Make sure you set a port number (11000 for instance), it may not be set. Make sure you use the "exit" button to quit it, closing the window minimizes it to the clock area. It doesn't really "do" anything when running, you'll see stuff in the log window when people join/leave though.

Window Goes Off Screen: Maximize it from the task bar then exit. This will make it show up in the maximized size the next time it starts and you can move/resize it then. This is a known bug. Should be fixed in 0.9.6.3

Updates
0.9.6.3 Nov 25:
+ Fix for installer on Vista/Win7, runs as admin by default
+ Fix for rectangular windows showing edges
+ Fix for window going off screen and saving that position
+ Fix for obscure invalid facet bug (needs more testing)
+ Fix for personal .map files crashing, maybe (needs more testing)
+ Can now edit and delete markers from within UOC
+ Adjustments to client/server protocol. New clients will work with older servers. New server will *NOT* work with older clients

0.9.6.4 Nov 27:
+ Fix crash when adding/removing markers

0.9.6.5 Dec 2:
+ Added "Disconnect", menu item, will switch depending on context
+ Disconnect on quitting UOC client
+ Fixed misspelt directory ( :pint: ), may pause a bit first time you run it while it copies everything. Pray it works on Vista/Win7 :(
+ Log server info for client, in My Docs../UOCar../serverlog.txt
+ Updated server: tries to prevent multiple same users at once, sends version info, logs logoffs
* client is backwards compatible with older servers, server is NOT backwards compatible, as before. do not update server unless all clients are on 0.9.6.3 or later

0.9.6.6 Dec 5:
+Minor update for icons to make it easier to add custom ones. See this post: http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1522101&postcount=372

0.9.6.7 Dec 11:
+ Adds a filter sub-menu so you can filter out specific map files (saves it too!)
+ Removes duplicate map markers at run-time (somewhat indiscriminately)
+ Fix for uncommon "WSACancelBlockingCall" bug
+ Something else which I have since forgotten....
- Removed map (marker) files from the installer.

0.9.6.8 Dec 12:
+ Fix several bugs introduced with the new filtering system.

0.9.8.0 Dec 17:
+ Fix lat/long coors in Fel/Tram.
+ Find window extended to 3 tabs - "People & Places", "Lat & Long" and "X & Y". All work the same way and center the map on the chosen location (on the current facet). You can also tick the "Track?" button to get a destination pointer on the map that you can follow. (Use Clear Destination to get rid of it).
+ Installer will not overwrite icons.bmp or icons.txt if they exist.

0.9.8.1 Dec 22:
+ Minor performance improvement when connected to a server.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: UOCartographer beta, now available!

it keeps changing the land to trammel when im in malas.. if you change it back to malas it shows the correct location but when i walk it goes back to tramel

K

Kiwillian

Are you using UOAssist? It should track you just fine. This has happened in the past though, but I thought I'd fixed it :(

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Woot! I'd been waiting for this, thanks kiwi for not abandoning this and for continually following up with mythic. :D

Gonna dl it when I get back.

W

wee papa smurf

Error opening file for writing is all i get when i try to install :rant2: :)

K

Kiwillian

Thanks Harlequin :) Took me a few months of slowly talking to Mythic and a week or so talking to the admins here, but it's all pretty good now :)

K

Kiwillian

Error opening file for writing is all i get when i try to install :rant2: :)
aaaarrrggghhhh! :(

You running vista or win7 by any chance? I though I'd fixed all that too! Damn, MS Windows and all it's problems :(

W

wee papa smurf

You running vista or win7 by any chance? I though I'd fixed all that too! Damn, MS Windows and all it's problems :(
Yea im running Vista hehe!
Damn Vista!! :lol:

K

Kiwillian

hehe :)

It *should* just work. Otherwise try running the installer as admin. You may not get a desktop shortcut in that case though, but you can pull it off the start menu.

W

wee papa smurf

Re: UOCartographer beta, now available! (new UOAM)

Damn....

I keep forgetting bout that "run as admin" option on Vista!
Works now hehe tyvm matey!
Woohoo i can see all the shops and stuff again! :danceb: :danceb: :danceb:

W

wee papa smurf

Now for a pain in the butt question, is there a way to put a dot where your toon actually is on the map? like the lil flashing thingy bob on normal map!

K

Kiwillian

Um, there should be already? A little green circle with a blinky dot in the middle...

W

wee papa smurf

Nope, not for me :(
UOCARTOGRAPHER.jpg

K

Kiwillian

If you pick options and type a name in, does it show then?

Also, you can make it borderless and stuff y'know hehe :)

I'll throw up a new version in a sec, if it is the username thing.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Representitives of EA/Mythic have directly told me that you will not be banned for using this and that I am free to distribute it. It does not sniff packets, read the clients memory or interfere in any way with the client.
I'll wait for proof :eyes:

K

Kiwillian

You may be waiting a while :)

0.9.6.1 up, sets a default name - hopefully fixes the missing marker thing. Maybe. =/

W

wee papa smurf

Ok, i entered a username and it did nothin, so i restarted uoc and the dot popped up! Happy days :)
uoc.jpg

K

Kiwillian

Hooray! :)

Man, I just know there are going to be sooooo many issues like this. Oh well :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Kiwillian, can you have one of said EA Mythic people contact Stratics and tell Petra directly that it's ok - otherwise this thread is likely to go away...

K

Kiwillian

Kiwillian, can you have one of said EA Mythic people contact Stratics and tell Petra directly that it's ok - otherwise this thread is likely to go away...
Hi Basara. I already spoke to Petra about this :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Ok, then... Just wanted to be sure...

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Right click on uoc icon and run as administrator then it works fine

I take my hate off to you ,,this is AMAZING, just to make me feel better i wish to have it offically endorsed, but well done to you

just one thing, does it have a house logger like automap used to have?

K

Kiwillian

If you run the map as admin it may have problems talking to UOAssist though, so it would be better to install it properly and then try it.

I hate Vista/UAC :(

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wow... okay, first, let me give you some major props on this... this is VERY nice!!! I love the smooth scrolling you can do just by dragging, I love that my mouse's scroll-bar is recognized and zooms... just those two things alone make me smile a lot!!!

Couple of small questions...

1) Is there a way to stop or toggle the sliding that happens if you click, hold, drag, and release like you're tossing it across the screen?

2) Is there any way to get a larger/full-screen display?

Not picking... completely understand it's in beta... just making a couple of suggestions. I LOVE what I see so far!!! GREAT work!!!

K

Kiwillian

Thanks!

1) Yes. Just left click again and it should stop.

2) Right click -> atlas. Or just put borders on and resize it :)

It won't go full screen though. Too much effort, CPU wise for that.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

One more small request... I see you can filter the town markers, but is there any way we could get a toggle for all icons? Sometimes I like to run with them, sometimes without.

(Yes, this the "fun" part... people loving what you've done and then begging for more features... hehe But honestly, again, thanks so much for putting this together!!!)

K

Kiwillian

It is certainly possible and I know what you mean in your last lil bit there lol. I just don't want to over-crowd the menu. I'll add it to the list though :)

edit: in the mean time you can just move the *.map files out and restart it.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Maybe like you did with "Facet..." with the selection for each of the facets, do a similar "Markers..." (rather than "Filter Town Markers") and then "Filter All Markers", "Filter Town Markers", "Filter (other) Markers" (not sure what Other might be... Wilderness?) on a flyout, that way you keep the menu uncluttered. I completely get what you mean there, and appreciate that you've made this very easy to navigate. :)

The more I'm playing with it, the more I love it!!! :)

K

Kiwillian

Maybe like you did with "Facet..." with the selection for each of the facets, do a similar "Markers..." (rather than "Filter Town Markers") and then "Filter All Markers", "Filter Town Markers", "Filter (other) Markers" (not sure what Other might be... Wilderness?) on a flyout, that way you keep the menu uncluttered. I completely get what you mean there, and appreciate that you've made this very easy to navigate. :)

The more I'm playing with it, the more I love it!!! :)
Yup, sub-menus would be the way to do it. I'll keep it in mind, it's a good suggestion. Thanks.

Glad you are liking it.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks!

1) Yes. Just left click again and it should stop.

2) Right click -> atlas. Or just put borders on and resize it :)

It won't go full screen though. Too much effort, CPU wise for that.
I am glad to see someone revamping this! Being able to drag the map is literally one of the best improvements.

The maximum size I can get the map is only 1/4 the size of my 22" widescreen monitor. It maxes out as a square. I run the old Automap full height of my monitor and wide enough to fill in the side of what UO doesnt in window mode. I am very limited in my resizing options with this new map. I am not sure what you mean by "Too much effort, CPU wise for that." It would be nice to be able to resize this map to any size rectangle or square.

Is there a way to change icons in custom maps? The old treasure maps show up as piles of gold for example.
[FONT=Garamond ! important]
[/FONT]​

R

Rudolph57

I like it very much.

Feed-back:
1. Installed it under Vista as admin, and it worked immediately.
2. Then I copied all my UOAM map-files over to the UOC directory, restarted UOC and it wouldn't start; got several error mesages e.g. out-of-range type msgs. Removed my Personal.Map from the UOC directory, restarted UOC and it worked again.
3.The I added a marker, did it on the wrong place and wanted to remove it with notepad, but I couldn't find the User.Map in my UOC directory. Finally found the User.Map file in C:\Users\...\MyDocuments.

Thank you very much for all the effort you put in this program.

K

Kiwillian

Val:
I'll look into the max window size. I just don't want people making it 1280x1024 and then complaining it makes their PC slow - lol.

The icons are in a file in the installation directory. I dunno why T-Maps would be piles of gold though, but you could do a find & replace on the .map file to something else for now.

K

Kiwillian

Rudolph:
What files caused the out of range message? Can you send them to me somehow?

And, yes all the run time info is in My Documents. Blame Vista! lol

D

DarkVoid

Kiwillian, can I ask if you have been talking to EA/Mythic about adding a feature that would enable cut and paste support for the following:

1. Sextant coordinates contained in MIB's - what I'd personally like to see is EA/Mythic add drag and copy support in both clients over the text containing the sextant coordinates. That or a button which would copy the sextant coordinates onto the PC's clipboard for the user so they could be sent to another program, like your UOC. I'd like this feature so I don't have to make mistakes entering the coordinates in the map program.

2. Treasure map coordinates for all levels of treasure maps. Currently, if you use the EC you can straight away see where the map location is. The Classic client, however, lacks this ability, and I for one don't want to see people have to download the EC just to read the treasure maps properly.

It would be nice, when a map is deciphered, that UOC could 'read' the pin for treasure maps and add it as a marker to the map it draws. Perhaps treasure maps could be improved so that they would help new players locate where the pin is on the map. This could easily be done in a manner very similiar to how an ornithologist's brush helps locate a turkey nest, probably with existing tools like shovels or pickaxes.

Obviously, both these enhancement requests would require that UOC either read the data stream from the client in some way, or negotiate requests for this data with the client program. Can you work with EA/Mythic to create a solution to both types of coordinates?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sweet thanks Kiwillian

I'll try it out soon :)

Very nice have it working on Vista and XP ... now to find out how to use the server hmm

sweet :) got server too very nice man

M

mr crabs

verry nice work

installed using vista it seems to have a problem converting fel and tram maps but the outhers convert fine but i cannot get it to track me and also if i change it to the facet im in and click center on player it showes me in the thron room in tram brit castle. am i mabey not doing something right? also when i copeyed the lua file in the source folder then defalt folder was a winzip?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Awsome man. Very nice work Kiwillian. My hats off to you sir. :thumbsup:

What a great replacement for UOAM.

*runs off to log back in*

*Doh! .... runs out to kitchen to refill coffee first!* :pint:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

great tool! :)

I suggest to auto-open the option menu if it cannot find the map files, because if you touch something like atlas without maps the application will crash :D

Oh and it seems to do not recognize very well the difference between trammel and felucca... I set manually the map on ter mur, then I have logged in on felucca and the map is gone on trammel...

M

mr crabs

update seems like the map its self is working but for some odd reason its not tracking my location

its always showing me in britt castle in the throne room when i click center on player

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Excellent work Sir! Installed with no problem, up and running in minutes. I'm going to try the server out on my home computer tonight. No way to run it from our website as it's not Windows based.

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I love it thank you!

Good work

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

can we use it with UOAM servers?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

another suggestions:
- should be usefull a disconnect button
- hide a player while not logged on
- a chat window like automap
- hide icons if the zoom is bigger than Nx

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Okay installed it and with UOA it tracks me great, Fantastic!

Thanks.

L

Lord Drakelord

Is there a way to add t map's coors, like on UOAM? Or we going to have to do that by hand for each location?

L

Lord Drakelord

went to place a marker on my wife's place and it place the house to the left of the screen and i want to remove it. How do I edit markers I place?

R

Rudolph57

went to place a marker on my wife's place and it place the house to the left of the screen and i want to remove it. How do I edit markers I place?
You have to do that manually. Open the file User.Map with wordpad as described in the readme file:

Markers.
--------

UOC can load and display UOAM .MAP format files. Simply copy the ones you like to use into the UOC directory and they will automatically appear the next time you start UOC.

You can mouse over markers to show a pop-up description.

Markers can be added via the menu. The marker will be added at the point you right clicked to get the menu. Markers added will be placed in a file called USER.MAP in the UOC directory in UOAM format. This file can be edited, copied and renamed if you like to organise things.

Marker data files must end in .MAP to be loaded (case insensitive).

Currently, to delete a marker you must edit the .MAP file with notepad and remove the line that contains the marker you wish to delete. Don't leave any blank lines in the file when doing this!

E

Essence of Siege

Any chance you're going to show houses on the map?