• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire weapon

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking of giving a sampire a whirl. Never tried it before, and I have no desire to invest 100 mill in a template I may not enjoy playing. After reading many threads on them I'm confident I can put together the armor with items I already have, but I was wondering about the weapon. I picked up this a while ago, and have had it in storage ever since. Will this work well enough, along with perhaps a soulseeker (for whirlwind), to allow me to work some peerless and check out the template?

Rune Blade

Stamina Leech 40
Mana Leech 42
Faster Cast 1
SSI 25
DI 38

Will it be effective enough? Yes, it could be faster I suppose, but is it good enough to allow me a chance to sample the template without being an insurance donor lol? Thanks.

C

Credinus

I feel like I'm missing out on some secret sampire weapon vendor hidden in a mysterious shed deep in the woods of Yew. I have yet to find anything on Catskills that's got HML, HSL, SSI, and DI all together. :(

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It took me 8 months to find my best diamond mace for sampiring. (yes, it's a verb now)

And when I finally found it, it was only 500k gold.

Anyway, most people just make their own. It's faster.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish people on GL were looking for sampire weapons :(

R

RichDC

I wish people on GL were looking for sampire weapons :(
I know quite a few in DC that are, though most dont read the boards. In fact, i think im about the only one who does.

G

guum

I feel like I'm missing out on some secret sampire weapon vendor hidden in a mysterious shed deep in the woods of Yew. I have yet to find anything on Catskills that's got HML, HSL, SSI, and DI all together. :(
It's tough. I blew through probably 30-40 copper runics and a few golden ones trying to make an HML/HSL/SSI/DI Ornate Axe -- and finally gave up. I switched my sampire to fencing so that I could use a Leafblade without SSI (since the base swing speed is substantially quicker), and on my very first copper runic, I got an HML/HSL/SSI/DI Leafblade on the third try.

Sigh.

It's been ages since Discrete Math, but you can actually figure out the odds of getting a weapon of this sort using Combinations. I'd need to haul out my old textbook to figure it out, but I'd guess the odds are probably in the neighborhood of 1 in 10,000 on any given Copper Runic attempt. Not common.

edit: Another benefit of fencing...aside from being able to get away without SSI with leafblades and sufficiently high stam (150 min, 160 is better), you can make magekiller leafblades and get up to 22% Hit Mana Leech for free. I've tested it with my sampire and this *is* enough HML to stay filled up, even spamming LS. So that means all you'd need to get is HSL and the exceptional bonus to DI, and you can rock out HLA or the like as well...I'm currently having fun with champ spawns and a HSL/HML/Hit cold area Kama -- it's a lot of red numbers when whirlwind and hit cold area go off together.

I still think a top-end Ornate axe will own leafblades, but this is a much easier and cheaper alternative for starters -- those ornates are just irritatingly hard to find/make.

further edit: If my math is right (it probably is not) and assuming I'm understanding the distribution of item properties correctly (counting all slayers as a single possibility, counting all damage types as a single property, counting all hit spells as a single property), the odds of getting a HML/HSL/SSI combination on any given bronze hammer attempt would be 1 in 1771. The odds of getting it in any given copper runic attempt would be half that, since it's 50/50 of getting the requisite 3 properties. Better runics are a more difficult calculation, so I'll leave that to a math person).

C

Connor_Graham

It's tough. I blew through probably 30-40 copper runics and a few golden ones trying to make an HML/HSL/SSI/DI Ornate Axe -- and finally gave up.
I got both my Ornate Axe and Mage's Rune Blade on the first hammer I attempted for both, yet it took over 400 copper and bronze hammers to make my Twinkling Scimitar.

You're not alone, believe me.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
those ornates are just irritatingly hard to find/make.
*shameless plug*

I made a HML/HSL/SSI/DI ornate on GL when trying to make something else. I can't find anyone to buy. I even dropped the price to 6 mil.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shameless plug*

I made a HML/HSL/SSI/DI ornate on GL when trying to make something else. I can't find anyone to buy. I even dropped the price to 6 mil.
What are it's numbers exactly?

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might be interested in that Lynk. Give me today to rework my template on this guy and a couple days to try out the template and rune blade and see how it works...the one nice thing with the rune blade is I don't need quite so much stamina on the suit as I would for the ornate.

C

Credinus

Yeah, they're definitely rare. I tested on TC1 about a week ago, not even good chances with a valorite hammer. It's just sad that it's seems to be MUCH easier to get a good PvP weapon (HLD, HLA, SSI, DI, and hit spell). I get those from strongboxes all the dang time. With sampire weapons, it's always either missing SSI or HSL. For some reason those two properties just don't want to be together. The pattern that I got fairly often is HML, DI, SSI, and then SC instead of HSL (with faster casting penalty), or I get everything but life leech instead of mana leech. Anyone else noticed this to be a recurring pattern as well?

G

guum

Talk about more weird luck...I just pulled this off Miasma:

War Hammer
HSL 44%
HML 24%
HCI 6%
SSI 30%
DI 33%

Does anyone actually use war hammers?

K

kantoska

I just got a hatchet, wanna know if these properties are high enough to be worthwhile:

34 HSL
34 HML
30 SSI
45 DI

C

Connor_Graham

That will definitely work. You'll want to keep looking and/or crafting to try and get something a little better, but that one will hold you until you do. It's not that far from the elven machete that I used before I finally got lucky and made my ornate & Twink. I did just fine with it, although it was nowhere near good enough for peerless. It did take Rend down though lol.

heqqr

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am finishing up my sammy and have about 20 runic copper to burn.

Now i know that it will probably take more than that to get what i want but it should be a start. My character has 120 maces but i am not 100% sure on what weapons i need to craft.

any help is appreciated

C

Connor_Graham

The strongbox quests were brought up some time ago as an option to try and get weapons suitable for use as a Sampire. I just got this one from the batch of quests I ran today and wanted to show it to everyone just so you'd know that it is possible with patience to get a damn nice sword from them:

HSL 40
HML 38
HLL 44
SSI 25
DI 40

This sword will be replacing the Soulseeker for getting keys to Travesty, primarily for the red key. I use the Soulseeker for the little extra life leech it provides, but this sword is head and shoulders above it with much higher leeches. With the Assassin suit that I wear, I have 45 SSI total with this sword, which is more than enough to spam whirlwind when trying for the red key. To those of you that are just starting out, this is an easy quest to complete, and as you can see, the rewards can be very much worth taking the time to do them.

G

gmcbroom

Then that is a quest I'm going to do. :) Its the one at where you first have to get something from red healers right?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is swords or mace fighting better for pvm sampire?
Your personal preference. Swords is more varied in my opinion though. Ornates and such hit harder than other weapons. Sword weapons are the hardest hitting. You will have to look at your weapon collection, or what you can get your hands on to really make the determination.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're on a budget go macing - Diamond maces hit soooo hard and you can cap swing speed at 150 stam with a 30ssi.

The Real John

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Matters really what your wanting to kill also matters if your in a group or not.
Also matters how fast you want to do what your doing.
I have 120 in all the weapon skills stone. And all the weapons needed for what ever it is i plan on doing.

But if your planning on trying to do dread , chief , shimmering I use maces
I have 2 I use
If im running solo I use Diamond mace with hml 38 , hsl 46 , hla 42 , ssi 30 , di 40
If im doing it with others I use a Diamond mace with hml 37 , hsl 32 , hll 62 , ssi 20 , di 36
and I use that one because I normaly let the other ppl im with honor and with this I dont die even with out honor

If im doing Grizzel I use fencing and a assassin suit and kryss hsl 46 , hml 33, hla 36 , ssi 39 , di 39

If im doing dumb crazy event spawn that hits hard I go fencing and use leafblade's
I have one with hml 38 , hsl 38 , hll 44 , ssi 30 , di 40
I also have a leafblade with hml hsl hla ssi di but its on my girlfriends chr so I dont get to use it alot.

But for your day to day I say mace's own I rarely use swords and when I do its only for trav.

A

Arch Magus

I've heard that the Stamina drain from mace class weapons can really lay the smack down on Peerless.

I'm sure it's true, how much of a drain are we talking about?
Cause once something gets to 0 stamina, they are kinda screwed.

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've heard that the Stamina drain from mace class weapons can really lay the smack down on Peerless.

I'm sure it's true, how much of a drain are we talking about?
Cause once something gets to 0 stamina, they are kinda screwed.
It doesn't actually leach stam off them.

O

Order

but dont mace weapons reduce the enemies stamina whenever they get hit?

C

Connor_Graham

Diamond mace is the best DPS but you need one with 30 ssi.

O

Order

if im making diamond maces should i go with a ruby or silver etched mace? is it better to use a diamonsd mace since it is one handed and does about the same damage as a mages rune blades so i can chug pots or is the two handed defense bonus better. i have both weapon skills stoned.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't do Ruby or silver etched imo, for dreadhorn you want 100% physical dmg so just make it out of iron ingots and save resources.

T

Turdnugget

Why not use shadow ingots to make a weapon for Dreadhorn?

80% Physical Damage, 20% Cold damage...

Dunno if it'd make much of a difference in damage output.

R

RichDC

Why not use shadow ingots to make a weapon for Dreadhorn?

80% Physical Damage, 20% Cold damage...

Dunno if it'd make much of a difference in damage output.
2reasons,

1)cant be unraveld later

2)there is an extra mod to roll on a boost(the cold damage)

Also, the hardened mace or whatever its calle(one that give DI boost) would be your best bet.

G

guum

...and then you get lucky. Just found these two weapons on the same vendor, out of the blue, for 200k each (!):

Ornate Axe
HSL 32
HML 57
HPI 4
HPR 1
Luck 40
SSI 20 (Ok, a touch lower than ideal, but definitely enough to get started)
DI 40

Diamond Mace
HML 38
HSL 34
Luck 40
SSI 25
DI 40

So anyway, to the folks who haven't found their sampire weapons yet, keep looking!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first sampire weapon had only 20 SSI, mana leech and elemental slayer. I still break it out on occasion for the fun of it. I found it in the citadel, I think.

My best is a similar diamond mace to what you found. It's a VERY nice weapon.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I was looking for a one hander to go with my rune blade and ornate axe. Found this Twink on a vendor, in Luna, for 200k lol.

Hit Dispel 44
HSL 46
HML 38
DCI 6
SSI 30
DI 51

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and then you get lucky. Just found these two weapons on the same vendor, out of the blue, for 200k each (!):

Ornate Axe
HSL 32
HML 57
HPI 4
HPR 1
Luck 40
SSI 20 (Ok, a touch lower than ideal, but definitely enough to get started)
DI 40

Diamond Mace
HML 38
HSL 34
Luck 40
SSI 25
DI 40

So anyway, to the folks who haven't found their sampire weapons yet, keep looking!
Guum did they happen to be on Chessy?

I have this ornate for Doom, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

HML 52
HSL 38
Dispel 36
HPI 4
HPR 1
SSI 25
DI 40

G

guum

Guum did they happen to be on Chessy?

I have this ornate for Doom, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

HML 52
HSL 38
Dispel 36
HPI 4
HPR 1
SSI 25
DI 40
Yeah it was Chessy. And that's a really nice ornate. ;)

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. That was my vendor in Luna you got them from, I thought they looked familiar :) Those were some of the better results of countless hammers I burned. I'm on the edge of burning more val hammers but after going to TC and burning some charges there I'm thinking better of it. Maybe we can team up sometime, keying would be easier.

G

guum

Thanks. That was my vendor in Luna you got them from, I thought they looked familiar :) Those were some of the better results of countless hammers I burned. I'm on the edge of burning more val hammers but after going to TC and burning some charges there I'm thinking better of it. Maybe we can team up sometime, keying would be easier.
Well thank you much then -- I've been looking for good sampire weapons for ages. I've been using fencing and a leafblade, but both of those are a substantial improvements over what I had.

And sure, I'd be happy to team up sometime. I have a disco tamer too (which is a lot better for team play).

O

Order

since mace fighting is cheaper and causes monster stamina loss why doesnt everyone use mace fighting? just a question dont flame please :dunce:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A valid question. I ran mace fighting on my first Sampire for just those reasons.

But swords are more common for a few reasons:
1. Swords weapons are easier to find.
2. The highest DPS comes from the ornate axe, but only if it has high SSI. Rune blades are also better than most other weapons.
3. The cheapest all-around sampire weapon is the soul seeker, a swordsmanship weapon.
4. The twinkling scimitar not only has the whirlwind special, but each one comes with at least 6% DCI, making it hands-down the best group-destroyer from the melee weapons.

O

Order

so in your opinion would you say swords is better than mace fighting?

R

Radix

lol, do you have more axes like that? i want one ;-)