• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Bank Renovation Contest Update

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm very much liking how so many these wonderful designers felt that the wooden stairs looked nice on this bank :D

mine are not nearly as grand as some here, excellent work everyone! wish I'd been talented enough to use the actual bank pic, but I see some others used Kurgan's HouseBuilder also, and I'd like to thank him for that tool, without it I'm sure I would have had no entry at all

outside

inside

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/DevilsOwnofLegends/bank8top.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/DevilsOwnofLegends/bank8top.jpghttp://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/DevilsOwnofLegends/bank8top.jpg

D

Dragon Mist

OK her is my submission for Baja.

The inside is designed to make the bank look more in line with what one
would expect to see in a working bank. The design encompasses original, new, and
infrequently used graphics. It is designed to give a relaxed atmosphere while
maintaining the secure “repository” feeling. The main room has a customer
waiting area with refreshments, account transaction tables, and teller windows.
The small room is designed to reflect a teller room and the back room more of a
vault. It has accountant tables with ledgers and an abacus. The room is also
lined with safety deposit boxes to give it that vault feel.

The outside is modeled around a community center feeling. The roof has two
quiet talking areas; one is designed to be more intimate while the other is more
of a self reflection area. There is also a section with tables to allow more
group comrodary. The South edge of the bank roof is setup to accommodate the
ever popular bank sitter. To the West is a small performance platform located on
the water. The bank is surrounded by benches to make it more attractive to
passers by. On the South West corner is a water trough and hitching post for
those weary travelers. Just south of the bank is a picnic area to accommodate
even more people. The placement of the moongate (optional) will allow ease of
access to and from the bank.

Inside:

Outside:

An idea that I had for the roll out is to place a tent near the bank and roll
the changes out over a week. The tent could have a sign stating something like
“RCI - Royal Construction Inc” building a better Britain. The thought is if
people can be intrigued enough to come look every day to see what is new then
maybe they will keep coming back. Just my rambling 2 gold worth.

OK Sarsmi lets see what what you came up with for Baja.

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grumbles about people having no compassion for my nerves - I mean dialup connection*

Cos you KNOW I have to load ALL of them to look-see! .jpg compression people! COMPRESSION!

*chuckles*

There is (again) some really stunning designs there! You've all done a great job!

Mine still looks very plain compared to them =) But I like it anyway =P (I'm not posting it yet, cos I'm afraid of "the jinx" - they're kinda like boy germs, but worse! =P)

*edits to add* TheChocolits - I couldn't get all your image to load, my connection fault, not your image host I think (I got about 1/2 loaded, then it reloaded it from teh start - after 20 minutes and 3 megs, it just quit at 1/2 done =P) but i had to say W.O.W! at the detail you have put in it! That musta taken forever to do!
lol, YIP! (if u'll consider sleepless/restless nites thinking bout the bank design forever and maybe even more :p j/k ... must really lay off the caffeine now, heh)

And thank u very much for appreciating my bank, I know the 'flower girl' in me might've gotten alittle outa hand, but like I said, I had fun all the while, hehe :D

Come now, can't keep us waiting on the stand to see urs, lets have a lookie lookie ;) ... I hesitated to post mine at first but then realised what da heck, win or lose, twas an experience I enjoyed :) Hope to see more of everyone's design :p

And I must say everyone else's design I've seen so far are quite lovely with smart ideas on what they added. :thumbsup: Almost can't wait to see all the winning brit banks on everyshard too.

'Bout the uploading pic, I really don't know anywhere else that can host this size for free, maybe someone could lend an insight on this part :/
But for now we'll just have to do with my compressed pic on photobucket, or if u can load my first posted link would have a clearer detailed view.
Here's my first link I sent in on photobucket:

Safe Journeys.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so that's what kept you up all those nites!! :D love all those little touches

hoping to see more designs, there's gotta be more out there... great job, everyone!

M

Millie

The Last time I posted mine the contest was re-opend. Think I'll wait awhile to post them. Then again they my not of even qualified since the rules said to put in your name and I put in my chars. name. I really wasn't to sure if they wanted a real name or your Char. name.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK Sarsmi lets see what what you came up with for Baja.
hehe, I posted it last night:
http://www.dough.net/~sarah/WBBEntry.html

The lower quality but faster loading jpg version, if you don't want to go to the html page:

Pretty self explanatory really, except the baskets in the front are for player vendor runes (so they have a place to put them, the baskets are really just for show, just drop the runes on the counter). The wisp statues are for free casts of recall and sacred journey, though I don't think they could really implement that.

That was a really fun contest. I'm still thinking about what I would have done differently. Like for the inside of the bank I would have redone the little armoires in grey to be more like vault boxes/safes. (Paint is really not good for shading things, hehe.)

I think this could be a great trend for future contests actually! Not specifically designing buildings perhaps but maybe more thinking up new areas/scenarios, ideas to revitalize under utilized areas, etc. There are so many creative players, it seems a shame not to use their talents to help improve the game. :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Last time I posted mine the contest was re-opend. Think I'll wait awhile to post them. Then again they my not of even qualified since the rules said to put in your name and I put in my chars. name. I really wasn't to sure if they wanted a real name or your Char. name.
I'm sure that's fine, since they got email addresses. They really just needed a name for the plaque I bet.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't mind DragonMist, Sarsmi!! He's having a bad day lol

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smacks head* After the annoucement to resubmit entries, I reworked my design but I forgot to send it in!!! :wall: I really liked my new design, too. :sad4:

D

Dhara

Hawkeye, I LOVE your vendor stalls! I really wish I'd thought of that for my version. Good Luck, I bet you win on your shard :)

F

Flora Green

I was just lazy and didn't do this. I really wish I would have because I had a ton of ideas. Maybe they'll continue contests like this for other areas. Some really cool designs submitted. :)

S

Stupid Miner

I was just lazy and didn't do this. I really wish I would have because I had a ton of ideas. Maybe they'll continue contests like this for other areas. Some really cool designs submitted. :)
Don't blame you... designing these was a *pain* think i spent around 8 hours on mine.

Here's mine, didn't have to change a thing from last time.

M

Millie

*paces* Wonder if every thing is OK this time. *wrings hands* How long will we have to wait to hear news.

oh well, I turn in 4 different designs for 2 different shards. this is one of my faves and its for Baja

You can't really see it but there is a bird cooking on the spit of the middle fire pit.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
patience Millie :D

would imagine that someone is gettin' bleary-eyed and punchy from looking at too many Brit banks, there's probably a great many of them that won't get posted here

D

Dragon Mist

I was working on a few other designes but RL got in the way so they did not get finished, but here is the vendor/shop huts I came up with.

I have to say most of the designes that have been shared are great I hope moew get posted.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My submissions:

Submission 1 - Water Theme

Submission 2 - Nautical Theme

Submission 3 - Garden Theme

:)

Sorry if they take a while to load, large graphics :p.

Of my submissions my personal preference is #3, as I prefer that inside view with the darker floor tile, the different position of the stable npc and generally the 'cleaner' view of the outside bank walls, uncluttered etc. Plus I love trees in the landscape, they create such a calming view!

Good Luck all, some great designs around!

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's mine, didn't have to change a thing from last time.

I really like your Moongate and aqueduct (sp?) to the moat/water.

I'm all for improved water management and facilities for all of Britannia, hehe. :D

Everyone's entries are great! Thanks all for posting them for public viewing...I've very much enjoyed seeing all of your creativity, and I can't wait to see the new banks in-game!

Hopefully we will see more contests of this type in the future. Couldn't quite get anything together for this one, but I'd love to have a chance at something similar in the future, as are many others I am sure after seeing these entries. Very inspiring! :)

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My submissions:

Submission 1 - Water Theme

Submission 2 - Nautical Theme

Submission 3 - Garden Theme

:)

Sorry if they take a while to load, large graphics :p.
Awwww, just saw these after I posted! I love them!

Excellent themes, without feeling cluttered or overdone (Actually none of the designs I've seen here have been overdone, IMHO), and with added functionality too.

Out of all your great ideas, my favorite for some reason is the little cart with small blue flowers (flax, maybe?) in the Garden Renovation. Too cute, I want one! :heart:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holy cow! All the designs look amazing!

I particularly like the ones that integrated smithys, stables, arcane circles and player stalls into their design. I prize things that are functional before looking pretty, and you have integrated utility with artistry. This will definitely bring people back to WBB. Hats off to you guys and gals *bows*

This proves beyond doubt how innovative the UO players are, and as long as we have players like these in UO, I don't think UO will ever die :D

T

Teeshy

*pokes tongue out at Miss E and waggles it*

Not only did you dash my (albeit meager) hope of maybe winning - you made me load ginormous images!

I LOVE your ponds, all of them actually, they look really good =)

Since it's now been shown that I won't win for Oce ;) here's mine - simple as it is, I still like it =)

I tried to add some colour and some warmth to the bank area, without making it too busy, and still keeping to the "feel" of Britain =)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually Teeshy I wouldn't write yourself out, in fact, I think your design is really pretty and I love the blue tile. I would be quite happy with that as our bank. I wasn't even going to post mine but figured as an exercise in remodeling it was pretty fun, some of the 'best' fun I have had with UO in months as you know, so in the end decided to post them. If the devs use any, all, bits of, or none at all, I don't mind as I had fun doing it so all good.

I would also be quite happy for those shards who have no suitable submissions to use whatever the devs felt they could use from the other entries and those of us who have put in multiple submissions etc, if they can be used either on our shard or another it is all in fun.

Personally I think they are mainly after the 'inside' remodel rather than the outside, as that is what it was set up for originally when you read it. I actually took a lot 'out' of all my submissions from the originals to try and simplify the build and to try and keep the buildings and surrounds in 'sympathy' with the town and outlying buildings. Ultimately I would hate the bank to look so 'out of place' with it's neighbours as that would be worse than just the plain old bank as it is. Hence why I prefer #3 which is more garden while maintaining a pond and all the 'stuff' arcane, stable, ankh, moongate etc

I wonder how much 'extra' they will allow, ie moongates that go somewhere etc, I positioned mine where they are in the hope that that 'spot' would be available on all shards and looking at most of the entries it seems it could be. LOL 'just in case' !!

Anyways, good luck!

T

Teeshy

*chuckles* You're sweet ;)

It WAS fun, I really enjoyed doing it =)

I just showed yours to hubby too - he thinks they're really lovely =) (said it was definitely worth the time opening the big images ;))

I've actually never seen anyone use the *inside* of the bank, which is why I did the outside, I've only ever seen people outside =)

And yeah, I agree, there's been so many diverse, interesting ideas put forward by people, that it would be cool if they were used for shards that perhaps didn't get entries =)

Further competitions of the same type would be very cool I would think =)

Good luck to you (and everyone esle) too! I really have loved looking at everyone's pictures, even if I do whine about the image sizes ;)

Part of me hopes we get to see ALL the submissions =)

K

Katlene

*already sees the plaque with miss e's name on it*

They are all absolutly STUNNING!!

I had no luck at all getting anything to work right so mines a crap entry.

M

Millie

I'm sure glad I don't have to pick one of them. I think I would have to have 12 new shards so I'd have a place to put all the lovely new Brit Banks.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*already sees the plaque with miss e's name on it*

They are all absolutly STUNNING!!

I had no luck at all getting anything to work right so mines a crap entry.
Yes well who knows who else has entered, there could be others lurking in the wings with great entries. I entered the first time before they reopened it but didn't post, so odds are there could be lots more entries.

I don't have any kind of photoshop package etc, so used the default microsoft image composer that comes with 'office' (I think) and lots and lots of cutting and pasting. I also found that getting the graphics from 'Inside UO' wasn't really helpful as I couldn't get them to retain the transparency so they all had like a big white background which was useless, and none of the programs I have would get rid of it, so mostly I had to find the item in game, place it, copy it and cut it out by zooming in to pixel level lol. Took forever, tho I am now expert at it lol.

Also spent a lot of time on the TC building 'sections' of the bank to copy and paste from, building ponds etc, so if your wandering around TC and come across this really strange looking joint with no actual structure, walls missing, fences in the middle of a grey building with ponds hanging off it that is mine lol. *mutters, I should get photoshop and learn how to use it*

K

Katlene

I had the same drama with the white edges on the images from inside UO and i ended up doing a copy paste with what i did. Only managed an outside aswell. Doesnt matter it was just a bit off fun eh!!

May the best bank win!!:D

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought we were already mad, seeing as we all still hang around this forum. :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The maddest of them all moniters the madness... *twitches*