• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is a Beggar good for?

• Thread starter SecretService
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
F

Fink

If you dry them out, they make excellent firewood. :flame:

Beggars are basically good for getting "beggables", or "barties" if you prefer, a certain range of items available from the elves of the Heartwood. These items differ from ordinary items in that they have "acquired by begging" on the label.

We're hoping at some point the devs will expand on this idea, maybe give us some more items to beg for, and some more locations or persons from which to get them. It's been 3+ years since the beggables were added, with nothing new since in that respect. There have been Halloween trick-or-treat items, though.

Otherwise, beggars are good for getting a meagre amount of gold from NPCs. It's a handy skill to use if you're roleplaying someone down on their luck, or you just want to get rich the leisurely way.

W

Warrior of Time

Another way to put it. "A poor way to get recognition"

S

Scrumpy Jack

What is a beggar good for?

Now listen to me boy, beggars are the most important people in the cities! We clean up after yer posh people (yer can not imagine how much stuff others leave lieing around the banks!), we entertain the masses (we in GoB take special pride in our lyrical and musical skills) and we help yer people with getting rid of all the small change (ah well, it's getting harder, but we try and we have a permit!)

So, yer see, us beggars are invaluable for keeping order and cleanliness in Sosaria at top notch!

There ... now give me some change or be damned!

Yers fearfully
Scrumpy

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you dry them out, they make excellent firewood. :flame:

Beggars are basically good for getting "beggables", or "barties" if you prefer, a certain range of items available from the elves of the Heartwood. These items differ from ordinary items in that they have "acquired by begging" on the label.

We're hoping at some point the devs will expand on this idea, maybe give us some more items to beg for, and some more locations or persons from which to get them. It's been 3+ years since the beggables were added, with nothing new since.

Otherwise, beggars are good for getting a meagre amount of gold from NPCs. It's a handy skill to use if you're roleplaying someone down on their luck, or you just want to get rich the leisurely way.
So excuse the ignorance here...never tinkered with this skill much. You can make a consistent income doing this or its for kicks and giggles? No pun intended.

S

Scrumpy Jack

Well, yer do get kicked sometimes and some people even dare to giggle at our musical performances ... and then kick us. But it's mostly for the freedom of roaming the lands, telling stories by the camp-fire and saying crazy things to towns-people who don't deserve it any better. And kick us for it ... not that you think we enjoy the kicking! Even Xora can't be that twisted ... I think ...

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be fun if the begging skill works, like the stealing skill..(on monsters that is)
ooooooooooooH dear lord oaks...pleassssseeeee please give me an arty
:p
But basically begging is useless, dont train it unless u really dont value youre online time, or has too much sparetime.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be fun if the begging skill works, like the stealing skill..(on monsters that is)
But basically begging is useless, dont train it unless u really dont value youre online time, or has too much sparetime.
...or if you want to be one of the few to hold the title GM Beggar.
That's why I did it. I wanted to be able to say I took the time to GM a skill that is for the most part overlooked by casual players.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...or if you want to be one of the few to hold the title GM Beggar.
That's why I did it. I wanted to be able to say I took the time to GM a skill that is for the most part overlooked by casual players.
Yeah I can see your point with that. I have to say I definitely overlooked that, even though I would say I am a little more than a casual player.

W

Warrior of Time

It falls into the same relaxed style of play that the Chef, and Fisher but more interacting with people.

Cooking takes a lot of time but the skill is gained in you house. Fishing the same way only in your boat.

Begging on the other hand your around people as much as you like. The gains are from an NPC. The reply is heard by everyone in the area around you. Once a few people hear what the NPC says. Some also want to get into the action of the roll playing style.

The wealth you gain is not just gold, and items. It also is the wealth of people that can at times befriend a person that is down on their luck.

Would be nice to have the dev give a reward to the wondering beggar. One that is wanted. Not just the beggar. But by everyone in the game. That way the beggar would have something to sell to add to their meager existence.

A way that everyone would help you make a living. Let's face it the cooks can make paint for people that know what it is good for. They also added the apples and grapes.

Seems there are not enough beggars to get a need filled in Sosaria. (I still want my interactive statue of a beggar that looks and acts like one.)

W

Warrior of Time

You may be right. There are a lot of things in the game. A good many I do the hard way.

L

Llwyd

It might not be entirely "useless" as long as you enjoy yourself. As for the value of online time, I tend to think the value depends upon upon each individual's perception.

I've also heard the argument that all of us who enjoy online gaming have too much time on our hands. :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i don't think anyone mentioned this yet (i realize this post is half a year old) but having GM Begging allows you to get the special/rare Halloween Treats in Heartwood. Like spider webs and harvest wine :)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i don't think anyone mentioned this yet (i realize this post is half a year old) but having GM Begging allows you to get the special/rare Halloween Treats in Heartwood. Like spider webs and harvest wine :)
:twak:You do not bring up the special begging perks this close to Halloween!:twak:
When everyone jumps on the bandwagon Heartwood get's mighty crowded.

B

Beastmaster

Yep, getting close to that time of year when the newbie beggars show up. I was one last year. Thankfully I GM'ed in time for the Halloween treats. I made a nice piece of change off those spider webs. Yesterday's UOHall had a noob beggar caught unattended macroing the skill. Last night I noticed my shard had a few up and comers loitering around Heartwood. So all this leads my mind to wonder if we'll see anything this year. With SA so close and the Dev team working to eliminate bugs, I hope we aren't forgotten.

What kind of treats would you like to see this year, besides actual changes to the skill?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You beggars, if you want more, get a job!

:D
Sure thing. Could you loan me just a few gold pieces first? I need to pay for transportation to the Britannia employment office. Please? Just 5 or 6 maybe. I don't need much. Just a little bit to help get me back on my feet.

W

Warrior of Time

Warrior, just wanted to say I like your footer! :thumbsup:
Thank you.

Do you have a beggar. If so what shard.

Sorry I took so long to get back in here. I got a little sidetracked. Getting a little more normal for me now.
I need to get back to my old stomping ground, Moonglow. I need to start meeting the new NPCs in there. They pay more to old friends.

W

Whiskey_Mystic

I made 90k in two hours begging on Friday night.

The trick is to be funny, stay in role, and entertain players. They WILL drop gold on you if you do it well. Always remember to flatter them in some way. Help other players step into the role of their own character by recognizing them. Address Lords as M'Lord, for example.

Prepare some jokes, material, and comedy macros before hand.

Start with "Please, sir, surely you can spare a few coins. My wife is very ill."

Then get silly

"please, please... My children have not eaten in years. My wife has a raging case of vorpal herpes. Please help us"

Begging makes me a ton of money. Just do it where a group has gathered to talk before they set off on their champ spawn or whatever. Don't do it at like the Luna bank. And don't do it on Origin because you're lucky to ever see another player there. *winks at you Origin people*

Oh, also... Fel players are more likely to give gold and also more likely to kill you. Play along. Beg for your life and such. I also wear a bright jester suit to clue them in that I am a roleplayer and not a noob looking for a handout.

-Sugar Donkey of Pacific